Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Tonight's the night. Catch you all in a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I took Wednesday off work to read this book. Being an adult is phenomenal.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Benson Cunningham posted:

I took Wednesday off work to read this book. Being an adult is phenomenal.

I'm heavily considering doing the same

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
*sigh* Im gonna spend a lot of time "in the bathroom" tomorrow at work.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I remember when I read Way of Kings for the first time. I was in my grandmother's house, in the middle of nowhere, with no internet access and had bought a bunch of Sanderson books based on the fact that they were pretty drat long. I figured it would take me months to finish it, but instead I ended up finishing it that weekend. I distinctively remember staying up until 5 in the morning with a flashlight because goddamn it kindles and their lack of backlight and immediately wanting to read its sequel.

Kind of feels weird to finally read that sequel now. Not bad weird, just, weird. First time I'm following a fantasy series as it's published, so it's a new feeling for me. Can't wait for it to come out.

And by can't wait I mean "cleared up my schedule for tomorrow and have been staring at my kindle for the past two hours trying to convince myself there was a chance it could have been released early somehow."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I drank too much caffeine on accident last night and stayed up until 4am then woke up at 7 this morning. I have to do ~8 hours of CPA studying every day until Friday, and I have a take home case study test for one of my college classes. If I'm good, I can knock out all my school crap by friday and have all saturday/next week off to read for spring break.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to resist starting WoR and will find myself up at 4am again.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I intentionally ordered my copy a bit late so it won't arrive until Thursday/Friday in order to actually be able to get some poo poo done this week before my entire weekend is sunk into putting a dent in WoR.

Pretty excited.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So, I just saw that on thursday, Brandon is doing a book signing literally less than two blocks from where I live. Guess I'll just have to take a long lunch break that day :v:

EDIT: Just downloaded to my Kindle :hellyeah:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 4, 2014

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
I can only preorder still...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
gently caress yeah got my book. Goodbye for 36 hours.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Just showed up on my Nook. :hellyeah:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

So, I just saw that on thursday, Brandon is doing a book signing literally less than two blocks from where I live. Guess I'll just have to take a long lunch break that day :v:

Cool beans.

I'd love to hear a signing report from you. Or see a phone recording if he gives a talk :).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

The Glumslinger posted:

EDIT: Just downloaded to my Kindle :hellyeah:
WHERE IS IT GRRAAHHHH

Do I need to change my phone to EST??

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm in california and it still downloaded at 9:00PM for me.

Also, holy poo poo this book is amazing. Too short though, I'm already a quarter way through it :v:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Wow, you can certainly tell why they skipped chapter 7 for the excerpts.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Shallan is 100% my favorite character in this series now. Like with zero question

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Shallan is 100% my favorite character in this series now. Like with zero question

She's always been my favourite. I haven't read #2 yet, but I'm pleased to hear that!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Just downloaded the audio book from audible. It's forty-eight hours long.

So I guess I'll be seeing you guys in a couple days!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I was so exhausted and sick I fell asleep last night instead of reading well into the morning, but holy poo poo Chapter 7.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Just got my copy. See you guys when I get myself out of the BrandSandalanche :derp:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I read all of Part 1 and the first PoV in the first Interlude. This book is good!

Spoilers below. One big one.

Syl continues to be hilarious as she learns human foibles. The Shadesmar is really weird and awesome and I'm glad we get to see more of it! Shallan has gotten over her weird tick of trying (and failing) to be funny, thank god. Dalinar still has the subtlety of a bull in a china shop, and it's strangely endearing.

The Parshendi chapter was really neat, but it seems to prove Jasnah's theory that the Parshmen are the Voidbringers wrong.

Speaking of Jasnah, she is my favorite character in any Sanderson book, male or female. She's awesome! Regal, smart, cunning, logical, ruthless, but relatable. Everything she does is with purpose and with panache.

And then she
loving dies.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I ordered of Amazon with release day shipping. Amazon said it should be here today, but the UPS site says it's not on the truck, and will arrive tomorrow.

So pissed :smith:

e; considering going to buy it at a store and returning the shipped copy to Amazon to drive home that if I'm going to pay for release day shipping, don't cheap out on the carrier and get it here the day after. Every other time I've ordered this year, I picked two day shipping and it got here the day after I ordered, but they used Surepost insead of standard UPS ground this time. I took tomorrow off to be able to read it, and now I'm losing money for not working that day, and won't actually have time to finish it because it won't be here till around 4pm.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 4, 2014

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It auto-downloaded on my kindle so now I'm hiding the stupid thing in the back of a drawer until I get my studying out of the way for today.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well, that Shallan thing sure didn't work out like I was expecting from the first book and the preview snippet. Chapter 19 started brutal.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Man. I've been going to the bathroom a lot at work today.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Oh my it is finally here. Goodbye thread, see you when I'm done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Welp, that thing with the thing in the Interludes before Ch.35 ended up rather straightforward, didn't it? So now what's Brandon hiding in his other palm?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I finished Steelheart earlier today while, and noticed that I had gotten an email from Amazon telling me that Words of Radiance had been delivered to my Kindle. I had completely forgotten that I had pre-ordered it and that it was coming out soon because I stopped reading the thread around the time Steelheart came out to avoid spoilering myself. So now with WoR here, I need to reread WoK because I don't remember any of the details except for the over-arching plot.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Finished this after non-stop reading for about the better part of last night and this morning;
:siren: End-of-book comments :siren:
I have to say that the book went really dark before heading towards the light again and Shallan having to admit to killing both her parents is just brutal. So, we have 5 Orders so far: Windrunner, lightweaver, bondsmith, truthwatcher, skybreaker: currently thinking that Windrunners and Skybreakers are related? And Jasnah lives! Thank God for Sanderson not removing one of my favorite characters!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Finished part two and frankly I'm astonished how much has already happened. Shallan isn't my favorite character yet but at the rate she's climbing the charts she will be in 20 more chapters

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Welp, seems like its about the right time to unbookmark this thread 'til I'm done.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
The last few chapters before the end of part 2 :drat:

I hope there's a more fully-realized fight between Kal and Szeth. That one was pretty good, but it seemed mostly a vehicle for Szeth to stop accepting his station as Truthless. Still, Dalinar grabbing a shardblade :allears:
Shallan is getting better pretty much by the chapter, and I already kind of liked her in WoK.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Spooooiler! -> Start of act 3

Oh good God, Kaladin is so wangsy! Can't stand the guy, hope he talks to Dalinar before his silence causes disaster. On the other hand, Shallan is getting pretty awesome! Who knew that she had it in her? Did she kill her mother when she first connected to the otherland and then killed her father when he finally snapped? Harsh.

Honestly I hope Kaladin gets over it somewhat, because I don't think I can stand reading another 8.5 books of this.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 5, 2014

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Kellanved posted:

Spooooiler! -> Start of act 3

Honestly I hope Kaladin gets over it somewhat, because I don't think I can stand reading another 8.5 books of this.

He's not nearly as bad as Snape kills Dumbledore-era Harry Potter. Man I really wanted to strangle that kid. But Brandon has said that the second five-book arc would deal with a new set of characters with the main characters in these books with smaller roles. So you probably only have three more books of emo-Kal.

Act 2The first fight with Szeth was intense. Apparently stormlight heals your soul as Brandon has said that that's what Shard Blades kill.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Don't get me wrong, his life has been utter poo poo till recently so he has some reason to feel sorry for himself. But good lord, you joined Dalinar because you thought he's worth protecting and now you withhold information vital to his security? Makes you a hypocrite, son!

Did I say that Shallan is getting awesome? I'll say it again! It'll probably end in tears, but spy!Shallan is fun.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Just finished it and all I can say is: drat. I thought the avalanche was over then I read the last Adolin and the Szeth and the Wit chapter. Double, Triple, Quadruple drat.

He really took every expectation or theory and turned it on its head. Well done.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
What the gently caress was up with I-9. So we have Judge Dredd and a girl who is basically Vin, without the super obvious trauma. Plus it was long as gently caress. But I guess we learned about a few more powers

EDIT: VVV Yeah, I recognized him from the one with the cobbler, but he actually had screentime in this one

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 5, 2014

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
That excerpt was posted on Tor.com.

In any case: The guy with the white scar has shown up a few times prior to that. Most notably in the two prologues and the Ym interlude. Speculation is that he's one of the heralds, the one linked to the just attribute and has gone crazy over the thousands of years and is now doing a sort of dark justice by killing new knight radiants in order to prevent the coming desolation. Similar to the herald who is going around destroying art from Way of Kings.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Holy crap chapter 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That hardcover is just so awesomely huge that I had to order it rather than the ebook.