Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I "sleep" on an Exped Synmat and love it. For a pillow I use a stuff sack with a pillow case over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I was going to say I tried an Exped pillow for a night and still just couldn't get comfortable, I couldn't get the amount of inflation correct so I was constantly fiddling with it, but realize now what I tried was the pillow pump. Now I'm curious about trying the regular Exped pillow...I like the surface area of it better. I'm stupid picky about my pillows though, and also as I try to take less stuff that I don't use all the time, I end up with fewer clothes to use as a pillow as well.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Saint Fu posted:

I'm planning on trying out an Exped inflatable pillow. I feel like down pillows compress the instant I put my head on it and don't really add much support. You could stuff something in there with it but then it ends up being the thickness of whatever you stuffed in there.

I keep hearing about people using their pads as frames in frame-less packs. What pads are they using? The CCF pads only roll up like you mentioned, they don't fold flat to fit in the slots in the pack.
I think the best way to go is to cut the pad into 3 or 4 equal sections and duct tape them together so you can fold it up instead of roll it. This way you get a nice solid layer against your back, and you can stuff all your gear in the pack without losing the space in the corners. This works best with the non-eggshell EVA pads (like the classic blue pad), since the eggshell adds a lot of thickness and will make your pack sit a little too far back. I guess you can probably set it just right so the eggshell interlaces and THEN tape it in place, but that seems like effort. I will say that unless you are under 5'6"ish, the Gossamer Gear torso pad is just a little bit short to be comfortable, and I'd recommend getting the 3/4 length, and just cutting that to whatever size you want.

For a pillow I use a waterwing and cut it in half so it's got 2 sections when laid flat. Hobopacking.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The way we do it with our cave packs is to take the pad and roll it as a hollow tube that goes around the inside of the pack, then everything else fits inside the core of the pad.

Works with foam or self-inflating pads. The real air core pads don't have enough structure to them.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Speleothing posted:

The way we do it with our cave packs is to take the pad and roll it as a hollow tube that goes around the inside of the pack, then everything else fits inside the core of the pad.

Works with foam or self-inflating pads. The real air core pads don't have enough structure to them.

Same trick with big wall haul bags, I understand.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I fussed with and bought weird pillows for a while until I bought a good down puffy jacket. That thing stuffed into a pocket is THE BEST pillow.

...300 dollar pillow. Of course it's also light and warm.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I fussed with and bought weird pillows for a while until I bought a good down puffy jacket. That thing stuffed into a pocket is THE BEST pillow.

...300 dollar pillow. Of course it's also light and warm.

I had the same problem with using my jacket as others have had with down pillows; it deflated very quickly. I have a Thermarest compressible pillow. It's bulky and kind of heavy, but it's an okay trade-off to me for a good night's sleep.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Discomancer posted:

For a pillow I use a waterwing and cut it in half so it's got 2 sections when laid flat. Hobopacking.

I'll probably keep using the clothes-in-a-bag method, but I love this idea!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

Speleothing posted:

Cave packs? Tell me more.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
I just got my Prana Zions in the mail from SteepandCheap. HOLY gently caress, There are the most comfortable pants I have ever put on outside of pajamas.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Cave packs? Tell me more.

There's a whole micro-industry of companies that make cave packs and don't give a poo poo about advances in internal frames or hydration sleeves.

I use a Gonzo Guano Gear PEP Duff as my basecamp pack, and switch to either the blue or red Swaygo pack for day-use. Lost Creek is the third major caving brand, and I'd say there's a fairly even split between the three, I just prefer Swaygo for the waterproofness.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a decent backpacking monocular that can be used for some stargazing as well, or does it just not work out at that size?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My friend has been wanting to get out and do stuff so this weekend we went to Poison Creek

Someone else decided to camp out in the wilderness of Idaho and came back with this shot

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Speleothing posted:

There's a whole micro-industry of companies that make cave packs and don't give a poo poo about advances in internal frames or hydration sleeves.

I use a Gonzo Guano Gear PEP Duff as my basecamp pack, and switch to either the blue or red Swaygo pack for day-use. Lost Creek is the third major caving brand, and I'd say there's a fairly even split between the three, I just prefer Swaygo for the waterproofness.

Sorry. I meant tell me more about caving. :allears:

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

A Kpro posted:

Someone else decided to camp out in the wilderness of Idaho and came back with this shot

Have you got a bigger version of this?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Unfortunately not.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

Sorry. I meant tell me more about caving. :allears:

Where do you live? I can try to get you in contact with someone I know.

Caving isn't really like any other sport. You'll hike for hours to reach the entrance, climb 4th class and 5.5 in muddy wellington boots, scramble up scree slopes, crawl for thousands of feet, ascend and rappel fixed ropes, learn to duck-walk without slowing down, and sit with your head between your knees in total darkness eating energy bars while you wait for your team. Then, if you're worth anything at all, you'll reach either a scientific, exploratory, or photography objective and dick around for hours.

A beginning caver needs two or three headlamps, a helmet, kneepads, and a set of dedicated caving clothes & shoes. As you get more into it, you'll start picking up extras like elbow pads and cave-suits and multiple SRT kits and packs of all sizes and survey gear and specialized lights, and all sorts of sundries.

Some caves are friendly, some are hellholes. Some are joint-controlled mazes and some are simple lava tubes and many many are based on flowing water, like a swirling nest of 3-d rivers and tributaries.

God I love caving.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Man, gently caress all that.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
Do you guys typically even gently caress with water resistant footwear? I've been wearing Salomon XA Pro 3Ds for a long time, and if I encounter a stream I just remove them, go across barefoot, dry my feet and put them back on. I guess this doesn't work too well in a driving rain though.

I plan to do a lot more hiking this summer and I figure I may go for a full sized water resistant boot. Can you walk through water up to the top of the boot without any making it in?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

All you need to know about caving.

Vaga
Feb 21, 2014

grellgraxer posted:

Do you guys typically even gently caress with water resistant footwear? I've been wearing Salomon XA Pro 3Ds for a long time, and if I encounter a stream I just remove them, go across barefoot, dry my feet and put them back on. I guess this doesn't work too well in a driving rain though.

I plan to do a lot more hiking this summer and I figure I may go for a full sized water resistant boot. Can you walk through water up to the top of the boot without any making it in?

I used to. I pretty much only wear Chaco sandals, with or w/o socks, for backpacking now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

grellgraxer posted:

I have some Merrell Moab waterproof boots and they're great at keeping my feet dry during rain or dew but submerging them will certainly get my feet soaked.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I did my thru hike with Salomon XA 3D Ultras. Feet only got wet on the really rainy days or when a bog bridge was actually a bog trap. And dew covered grass in the morning, gently caress wet grass for keeping your feet dry.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I did my thru hike with Salomon XA 3D Ultras. Feet only got wet on the really rainy days or when a bog bridge was actually a bog trap. And dew covered grass in the morning, gently caress wet grass for keeping your feet dry.

Pretty sure it's impossible to keep your feet dry in wet brush and grass unless you're wearing rubber boots. I basically spent two days straight hiking with wet feet in the Winds this past summer because of wet brush and it sucked :mad:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still a total backpacking noob, but to me it seems like in certain situations your feet are just going to get wet. The wool socks and synthetics help make it not too terrible, then you just dry your feet at night. Still sucks though. Or is there a better way?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I exclusively hike and backpack in lightweight non-waterproof trail runners (Salomons and Inov-8s) unless I expect to be hiking through deep powdery snow. My feet get wet when I step in puddles or when it rains, and then they dry out pretty fast once I'm in a dry area for a while.

My Solomon XA 3D Pro Ultras (what a silly name for a shoe) were my absolute favorite shoe until I got a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 245s.

BeefofAges fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 4, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

I exclusively hike and backpack in lightweight non-waterproof trail runners (Salomons and Inov-8s) unless I expect to be hiking through deep powdery snow. My feet get wet when I step in puddles or when it rains, and then they dry out pretty fast once I'm in a dry area for a while.

My Solomon XA 3D Pro Ultras (what a silly name for a shoe) were my absolute favorite shoe until I got a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 245s.

I haven't bought a pair of non-GTX boots in years. No complaints 80% of the times I wear them.

Of course, I wear chaco sandals when it's really hot.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Snowshoed in the rain Sunday. Stayed warm, got wet, saw a large avalanche.

Shoulda gone higher. :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BeefofAges posted:

Same. On my 2nd pair of new balance minimus trail running shoes and have a pair of boots with screws drilled into the soles for ice/snow traction. Last spring I was out on steep rocky terrain for a day hike parts of the trail were running water so there was no way around walking through it. The light trail shoes worked great and most of the water drains out of them immediately.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Levitate posted:

Pretty sure it's impossible to keep your feet dry in wet brush and grass unless you're wearing rubber boots. I basically spent two days straight hiking with wet feet in the Winds this past summer because of wet brush and it sucked :mad:

Goretex boots and decent gaiters should have no trouble fending off wetness in those conditions. If it's hot and sweaty, then it gets trickier.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Keeping your feet dry in cold weather is never much of a challenge. It's completely impossible the moisture comes from inside and out.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Speleothing posted:

I haven't bought a pair of non-GTX boots in years. No complaints 80% of the times I wear them.

Of course, I wear chaco sandals when it's really hot.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people hiking in chacos or even in the super minimalist barefoot running sandal things. One guy I met on the AT was hiking in sandals until he sliced his toe open on a rock and it got infected. Good times.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I ran into a guy outside of Front Royal Virginia that was hiking the AT in sandals and had worn them through the ice and snow storm that hit early in the season last year. Seemed...uncomfortable

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I prefer to hike in Keens. No need for socks and I don't give a poo poo about fording streams. Only complaint is the drat toe boxes fill up with tiny rocks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Anyone have some advice for taking a dog backpacking? I can take care of myself and my girlfriend just fine but I've never taken a dog out before.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

krispykremessuck posted:

Snowshoed in the rain Sunday. Stayed warm, got wet, saw a large avalanche.

Shoulda gone higher. :(

If you're in areas where you've seen recent avalanches you should really watch your rear end / probably not be there unless you know what you're doing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anyone have some advice for taking a dog backpacking? I can take care of myself and my girlfriend just fine but I've never taken a dog out before.

Take extra food, they need to eat a bit more if they're hiking a lot. Also, if it's cold please bring something for them to sleep on, their fur won't do much good if they're sleeping on a cold tent floor or right on the ground. My small dog loves sleeping in my bag, and my medium dog sleeps between my legs on top of the bag, but most people probably wouldn't be comfortable like that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

BeefofAges posted:

Are you me?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've used goretex shoes for a while, and I've come to the conclusion that I just don't trust goretex in a shoe.

It always (for me) eventually gets torn near the toe flex zone and ends up letting water in. Tricky thing is, you can't see the goretex, and you certainly can't repair the goretex.

Since you can't see it, you're stuck wondering "am I imagining it or does water keep leaking in around my toe box somehow, or did I just let water get in over the top and it somehow pooled at the toes" and when you eventually realize that the goretex definitely has a tear, there's nothing you can do to save the shoe. If it were a tear between waterproof leather and the sole, you could conceivably glue it back shut or something. But if the shoe relies on goretex to be waterproof, you're hosed.

In addition, when they DO get wet, goretex boots take loving forever to dry out.

So I'm planning to totally change hiking shoe philosophy to the "light and fast-drying" instead of the "hopefully doesn't get wet in the first place."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

n8r posted:

If you're in areas where you've seen recent avalanches you should really watch your rear end / probably not be there unless you know what you're doing.

I don't disagree, but I was not in any danger where I was. The reason I didn't go higher was because where I was originally going to go the main access was shut down for avalanche control.