Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Captain Satire posted:

I'm hearing a lot of people say that Cosmic Boy's multiple TKs is awesome. Could somebody please point out the strength of this?

With regards to TAs. Because White Witch is mystical, does that mean I can share that TA with my entire team of wildcard legionaries? I'm also having a hard time finding an official document stating what the mystical team ability does. It's an ATA, yes?

Using TK (Telekinesis) allows you to move a friendly character into another position without having to give the moved character an action. It also allows you to move objects into opposing characters and try to move opposing characters as well, but the ability to (re)position your force is always a great utility. Being able to do it twice as a single action is, as such, always an amazing deal.

Also, Mystical is a Keyword, Mystics is a Team Ability. White Witch has the Mystical Keyword and the Legion of Super-Heroes Team Ability. A reminder that Team Abilities are on the back of a Character's base and on the Bottom-Left of the Character Card while Keywords are printed below the Character's Name on their Card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
TK is also awesome because the character you've moved can still make an action that turn, letting you fling somebody out 8 squares and then have 'em charge or running shot another 4 or 5.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Chris Cooley is my Life Coach.
Oh nice, I didn't realize you don't need line of fire for point B, so you can move somebody a full 16 squares from you. Cosmic boy being able to do it twice pretty much means you're going to succeed at least one roll, too. That's awesome.

Can you TK people off of an elevation and hurt them as if they were knocked back? Or is the main way to do damage with it by flinging objects?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
No, all of the points need line of fire to one another, and they can only be at most 8 squares away from one another. Basically, you're making a triangle with a maximum length of 8 on each side.

You can't damage people by flinging them around with TK, since TK states that it places people, and you only take damage from being knocked back into blocking or off of elevation.

My primary use of TK is to throw someone to a better position for a follow up Charge/Running shot, or to yank an object out from underneath someone. It's also worth noting that if you target an opponent to move around with TK, you need to make a ranged attack roll.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Ah! I misread. Thanks.

With my team being predominantly ranged, I guess I could annoy the hell out of my opponent by moving them out of close combat every time they tried to attack me. That would drive me crazy.

You can use TK on an object somebody is holding? Could you grab a rock from them and hit them with it in the same action?

FYI guys I really appreciate you answering all my dumb questions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Captain Satire posted:

You can use TK on an object somebody is holding? Could you grab a rock from them and hit them with it in the same action?
Not if they're holding it, no. But if they're standing on it, yes. So if you've got some stealthy guy standing on an object to hide, not only can you TK the object out from underneath him to expose him, you can TK the object right into his face in the bargain.

Note that this is why people pretty much don't hide on objects any more, it's way easier to get Smoke Cloud from somewhere.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Satire posted:

FYI guys I really appreciate you answering all my dumb questions.

No worries. When I first started playing, I had a near constant string of rules questions for our local rules expert. I frequently message my home venue's judge to get clarifications on things as well. It's pretty much the best way to get on top of the basics so you can actually get to playing the game.

You should also keep in mind that Mon-El has Hypersonic Speed and Super Strength on his top click, so if you run up against people who are hard to hit from range because of Stealth, terrain bonuses, or Energy Shield/Deflection, you can run him up, whomp somebody in the face for six, and then run back, so you've got some close options with him.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Deadpool Set announcement!

HE'S GOT THE SHEEP GUN!

You GOTTA gimme the Hellhouse gang now!

Edit: Wait... it's just sheep, but it references the sheep gun! WHERE IS THE SHEEP GUN ITSELF?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ha! I knew they were on switchclix!

Also, sheeping the other team to screw with their line of fires will be hilarious.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

I can't stand Deadpool but really like the look of that Red Hulk and Daredevil.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Note that the previewed Deadpool A) is the standard counterpart to a Prime and B) apparently can go on either of the AvX team bases. They also brought back the WoS version's Ridiculous Regeneration, but as a power instead of a trait. Overall he looks pretty good, so I'll like seeing his Prime.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

That's a solid figure for those points, and I love that we appear to be getting Daredevil and Red Hulk to also go on the team bases. There's been so many Avengers & X-Men you might as well make every non-villain a switchclix.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I love love love love the word bubble thing. Like built in resources.

Also I can't wait to crit hit with those sheep

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Holy crap, what if the sheep are also horde tokens?

A HORDE OF SHEEP. I'll finally learn how to play hordes if I can do that.

vvv It's either from an Exiles storyline or one of the Bob Agent of Hydra storylines as a brief stunt thing that I only vaguely remember. Or maybe it was like Infinity Challenge Hydra Operative LE that was supposed to be secretly Logan, I think.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 4, 2014

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Holy crap, what if the sheep are also horde tokens?

A HORDE OF SHEEP. I'll finally learn how to play hordes if I can do that.

It would have to be a new thing called a Flock Token that they would use only once.

On another note, what's with the HYDRA-looking Wolverine? What's that from?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I made a trade thread on the realms if anyone is interested. Looking to finish off SLOSH

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7843815#post7843815

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

I made a trade thread on the realms if anyone is interested. Looking to finish off SLOSH

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7843815#post7843815
Why is your avatar Shadow Lass now

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hopefully we get "SHORYUKEN!" as a speech balloon. They made Street Fighter clix, so it's not impossible, right? :v:

Also "In Search of Chimichangas" is greatest ability flavor

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

I have a new question: My work make thinks the Avengers team ability, which states "When you give a character using the Avengers team ability a move action, it does not count towards your available actions for the turn," means he doesn't have to put an action on the hero.

This means that hero can simply perform another action, yeah? Instead of the one per turn he usually gets. He'd still have to put another action on his hero and push to do it, right?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

I have a new question: My work make thinks the Avengers team ability, which states "When you give a character using the Avengers team ability a move action, it does not count towards your available actions for the turn," means he doesn't have to put an action on the hero.

This means that hero can simply perform another action, yeah? Instead of the one per turn he usually gets. He'd still have to put another action on his hero and push to do it, right?

This is incorrect. A lot of people refer to Avengers/Brotherhood/JLA/etc. as a "free move." All they do is make it so that the move action doesn't count against the number of non-free actions allotted to your team based on the build total. For instance, in a 300-point game you get 3 actions per turn. Avengers makes it so giving that character a move action doesn't use up one of those 3. It's still a non-free action so the character does get a token for it and the character can't be giving another non-free action that turn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

You're both wrong. They get a token and they can't act again (characters can't ever take more than one non-free action in a single turn). The Avengers TA means that move actions don't deduct from your available action pool, that's all.

Like, if you're playing a 300 point game, so you get 3 actions per turn, and give someone with that TA a move action, you still have 3 actions left for your turn. That's what it does.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Why is your avatar Shadow Lass now

It's shriek goddammit

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ManiacClown posted:

It would have to be a new thing called a Flock Token that they would use only once.

On another note, what's with the HYDRA-looking Wolverine? What's that from?
It's from a really bad run on Exiles by Chris Claremont. Wolverine and his wife, Sue Storm AKA Madame Hydra are the bad guys. I would prefer getting an evil Sue Storm, but we probably won't see her, huh?

A little bit of info

Edit: I just realized, if this leads to a Morph I will be very happy.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Ok I think I get it. So the benefit is that a player can move more than three clix in a 300 point game.

I was always told that the amount of action tokens was determined by the amount of points in a game (so in a 300 point game you'd get three action tokens and three more for pushing), is that wrong? Do you have unlimited amount of action tokens, but a limit amount of total actions?

If so, which page in the rulebook is this stuff stated? I can't seem to find it. It does say "You may give one action to each of your characters in any order," which suggests ALL of your clix can move in a turn.

EDIT: Wait wait wait I might just be an idiot. Does this rule mean you simply put an AT token on the character after he does his move, but you don't take that token from your regular action token pool?

Captain Satire fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 4, 2014

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Captain Satire posted:

Ok I think I get it. So the benefit is that a player can move more than three clix in a 300 point game.

I was always told that the amount of action tokens was determined by the amount of points in a game (so in a 300 point game you'd get three action tokens and three more for pushing), is that wrong? Do you have unlimited amount of action tokens, but a limit amount of total actions?

If so, which page in the rulebook is this stuff stated? I can't seem to find it. It does say "You may give one action to each of your characters in any order," which suggests ALL of your clix can move in a turn.

EDIT: Wait wait wait I might just be an idiot. Does this rule mean you simply put an AT token on the character after he does his move, but you don't take that token from your regular action token pool?

Ok, this action token pool thing does not exist.

I shall describe it as best I can.

The total number of NON-FREE actions in a game are determined in 1 of 2 ways:

1. 1 action per 100 points of the game build. So 2 actions in 200, 6 in 600, etc
2. The rules of whatever scenario you are doing. (I see judges doing 2000 point games but limiting players to 5 actions)

So in a 300 point game, you get 3 NON-FREE actions. I keep going NON-FREE because there are free actions, and such. However theres also exceptions, one of which I'll outline below.

Let's say you are playing in 300 points with a hypothetical piece that costs 25 points and has the avengers TA. You are playing 12 of these guys.

Now, by your logic, you only have 3 action tokens to place on people so you can only take 3 tokenable actions. To this I say NAY! Let's say piece 1 shoots a guy. That's a non-free action and he'd get a token. 2 actions left right? Right.

Now piece 2-10 all move. These are all tokenable actions, and should be illegal as you only get 3 actions right? NOPE! They have the avengers TA and can all move without counting against your action total. They all get tokens though.

Pieces 11 and 12 also shoot guys, thats action 2 and 3 for the round, they get tokens and you are done. You have given all 12 of your guys an action, and an action token in a 300 point game completely legally.

Action tokens != Actions I can take in a round.

Morand fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 4, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Morand posted:

Ok, this action token pool thing does not exist.

I shall describe it as best I can.

The total number of NON-FREE actions in a game are determined in 1 of 2 ways:

1. 1 action per 100 points of the game build. So 2 actions in 200, 6 in 600, etc
2. The rules of whatever scenario you are doing. (I see judges doing 2000 point games but limiting players to 5 actions)

So in a 300 point game, you get 3 NON-FREE actions. I keep going NON-FREE because there are free actions, and such. However theres also exceptions, one of which I'll outline below.

Let's say you are playing in 300 points with a hypothetical piece that costs 25 points and has the avengers TA. You are playing 12 of these guys.

Now, by your logic, you only have 3 action tokens to place on people so you can only take 3 tokenable actions. To this I say NAY! Let's say piece 1 shoots a guy. That's a non-free action and he'd get a token. 2 actions left right? Right.

Now piece 2-10 all move. These are all tokenable actions, and should be illegal as you only get 3 actions right? NOPE! They have the avengers TA and can all move without counting against your action total. They all get tokens though.

Pieces 11 and 12 also shoot guys, thats action 2 and 3 for the round, they get tokens and you are done. You have given all 12 of your guys an action, and an action token in a 300 point game completely legally.

Action tokens != Actions I can take in a round.

This is a good post that should be in the OP.

This is much, much more helpful to explain to casual players than the rulebook.

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

Morand posted:

Incredibly useful words.

Thanks, this clears things up a lot.

So me being handed six tokens for a 300 point game is straight up wrong. I could have some Avengers on my team.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I've played for the longest time without tokens, and that random picture I posted a few days ago had someone using those flattened marble aquarium rocks, which seem neat.

What do you guys use?

Captain Satire
May 3, 2005

We have some glass gaming stones. Much like these: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=98470&ref=goog&gclid=CMuzne3A-bwCFS9p7AodmjkAXg#.UxYbAfldUrU

They work fairly well.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Captain Satire posted:

So me being handed six tokens for a 300 point game is straight up wrong. I could have some Avengers on my team.

Not straight-up wrong, since you would need two tokens on a figure that had pushed. Those 6 tokens were assuming 3 on one turn, and then 3 on the next, at which point you might clear the first 3. In general, it's probably best to have a few extra, but 6 action tokens are the minimum you could expect to need, with 3 actions per turn.

I use glass beads for action tokens, light green on one round, dark blue on the next, so that I can keep track of who acted on which turn. A few people that I play with use poker chips, which are nice because you can sit the figure on them, and won't lose what square you were in when you pick the figure up... but are not-so-nice, because it can be hard to tell at a glance if a figure is pushed or not.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Captain Satire posted:

Right. Also remember that just because something gives a player an action token that doesn't necessarily mean they've been given an action. The token is not the action.

For example, Incapacitate gives an action token to its target. A use of Probability Control you get from having a themed team (referred to commonly as either "themed team Probability Control," theme Prob, or TTPC) requires that the user be given an action token, but Probability Control is itself not an action of any kind— even a free action. It used to be a LONG time ago but isn't now.

When I get some time, I'm definitely going to turn the second post into a newbie guide. What are some other things I should put into it?

Red posted:

I've played for the longest time without tokens, and that random picture I posted a few days ago had someone using those flattened marble aquarium rocks, which seem neat.

What do you guys use?

I've used all kinds of stuff, like beads or micro-dice, but I've settled on poker chips. They sit right under the figure and are big enough they're not going to get lost. Also, I use two different colors so I can alternate what color I use each turn. That way I can keep better track of who should clear on what turn.

This weekend I printed on cardstock and punched out (with a 7/16" scrapbooking punch— it really should be 1/2") some tokens to use on the board in place of special objects like the Gamma Bomb, Uru Forge, and the Emerald Eye of Ekron so that characters can occupy the space of a relic without having to fiddle with it on the map or if it doesn't physically exist at all. Just sit the guy on top of it and there you go. I just need to get some glue dots so I can stick them to blue poker chips for color-coding. I also printed off some detachable/produced bystanders like Monkey Joe and Gulyadkin the Lion that I'm going to stick on green chips.

By the way, at some point I'm totally going to play a game where I run the old-rear end LE from Collateral Damage of the Emerald Eye of Ekron along with the new Emerald Empress and have the Eye pick itself up.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

What are some other things I should put into it?

The 'replace -> modify' rule is honestly the one that fucks people up the most. Case in point, a dude who's been playing for ages simply did not believe the judge and I when I running-shotted for that extra space.

For the new players, it goes like this:

Let's say I have a 9 movement. Normally, when I running shot, it's halved (4.5) rounded up (5). WizKids obviously anticipated that a single perplex would be useless here, as every odd number is just as good to a RS or Charge as the even number is. So the rule goes that you replace a value (4.5) and then modify the value (4.5 + 1 perplex = 5.5, rounded up to 6).

So remember, if you modify a value and are involving replacement values at all, you replace them first and then modify.

As for tokens I use these bad boys I got at a con in the early 00's

Flip 'em upside down for the other turn

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 4, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

When I get some time, I'm definitely going to turn the second post into a newbie guide. What are some other things I should put into it?

For me, I'd like to see:

- Preferred/recommended online vendors (I've used StrikeZone, who are good)
- Rules of Thumb for using abilities
- Differences in "ages"

Plus, I have a lot of old figures, and none of them came with cards. Am I just relegated to trying to match up colors on the PAC?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

- Rules of Thumb for using abilities
What do you mean by this?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Regarding actions per turn, it's also worth keeping in mind that Leadership can also add to your avaiable non-free actions, so it may be worth investing in somebody with Leadership if you've got more figures than actions.

I used to use aquarium pebbles for action tokens but I found that they can get shuffled around to easily and are hard to keep track of when figure cluster together. I've since switch to the action/pushed tokens from http://clixaccessories.com/ which fit perfectly under a figure's base and can be color coordinated as you see fit.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, I used the aquarium stones forever because they were purty, but these AvX starters had the poker chips, and they're just so much easier to use and less 'in the way.'

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I used to hang soda can tabs on guys, but made the switch to poker chips about a year ago, mostly because I forgot my soda tabs one day and just bought some chips, but also because sometimes you just can't find a spot to hang something on a guy well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

What do you mean by this?

In a lot of games, you probably have a 'rule of thumb' for certain strategies. Blackjack players hit or sit depending on what cards they have, the dealer has, and/or what's been played.

In Heroclix, you have the opportunity to use certain abilities (or not). A good example is blades/claws/fangs - I'd find it helpful, as a casual player, to hear an explanation behind the strategy to choose to use the ability in certain situations. Though, I've always assumed you use that ability against clix with invulnerability when your clix has a low damage number.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say some basic stuff on teambuilding wouldn't go amiss. Maybe positioning as well since that's like the most important thing in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Red posted:

In a lot of games, you probably have a 'rule of thumb' for certain strategies. Blackjack players hit or sit depending on what cards they have, the dealer has, and/or what's been played.

In Heroclix, you have the opportunity to use certain abilities (or not). A good example is blades/claws/fangs - I'd find it helpful, as a casual player, to hear an explanation behind the strategy to choose to use the ability in certain situations. Though, I've always assumed you use that ability against clix with invulnerability when your clix has a low damage number.

Yeah plus the stuff that seems obvious to those of us who've been playing for a while, but might not be second nature to a lot of new folks:

- If you've got a perplex and can't get a friendly's attack up, take the opponent's defense down
- All free actions can take place "at the beginning of your turn" so feel free to outwit and then poison to your heart's content

• Locked thread