Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
FANTASMIC EDIT: This has now become a full-blown Disney Games megathread, where we celebrate and Let's Play old Disney games from the land of yore. Back in the days before we had to deal with Final Fantasy OCs, hyper-complicated plots and hearing the word "heart" about 20 times in each sentence, we had games based on either movies, awesome series, or just plain ol' Mickey Mouse acid trips.

Everyone is invited to pull in an old Disney game up for the thread to enjoy, it can be a Mickey game, Donald game, movie-based game, whatever. For the sake of putting SOME sort of limit on this, I think it's fair that any game that takes more than 8 hours to finish should be excluded, such as Epic Mickey or Kingdom Hearts.
It's not that I don't like them or anything, I loving love those games. It's just that poo poo is way too drat long to LP in a megathread, and should require its own thread of which there are plenty of. If you want to contest this rule however, or suggest a game that might be somehere on the line, feel free and we'll see how it goes!

These are the old days when games were short but sweet, or mild or bitter depending on your difficulty level. We also have the odd short game or remake that we may be LPing in here so that's fine too.

So let's get rollin' with some Silly Symphonies, folks!

=========================

Stop Taking The Mickey Out Of Me And Let's Play Mickey Mania!

COMPLETE [FinalGamer VLP] Back in the heydays of 1994, Traveller's Tales would not yet see the great success they had with their many Lego games and start pottering around with one or two Disney games. One such game was Mickey Mania, a game that people have a lot of mixed memories about. Not so much in terms of quality, but in terms of having four versions of the game that are just different ENOUGH to confuse people's memories.
So why don't we sort this out a little with some good old let's playing of an old Disney game, over three different ports?

So what are you planning to do exactly in this LP?
I'm going to cover Mickey Mania across three versions of the game and show how different each one is. The Sega Genesis, the Super NES, and the Sega CD versions because I can't play the PS1 version which is like an enhanced Sega CD port. I'm not going to say one or the other is better because they are all the same game, it's just they have some differences that are enough to note between them.

What can we talk about?!
Well these are some pretty odd cartoons we'll be going into so I guess we can also talk about Mickey and his lifelong career since the early days of monochrome. I love this game a lot, and even though it doesn't show too much in the early stages, things get crazier further down the line.

Are you gonna just do the same level over and over again in different ports?
Only if the level's really short. The first level will be, but later on I might change things up a little bit when they start to drag out. For the most part, I will be using the Sega CD version above all else to finish a level, and you will see why once we get to the end of it. So let's get to it!

Episode 1: Steamboat Willie (1928)

Episode 2: The Mad Doctor (1933)

Episode 3: Moose Hunters (1937)

Episode 4: The Lonesome Ghosts (1937)

Episode 5: Mickey and the Beanstalk (1947)

Episode 6: The Prince and the Pauper (1990)

Killrrhubarb's PS1 Reel
Steamboat Willie
The Mad Doctor
Moose Hunters
The Lonesome Ghosts
Mickey and the Beanstalk
The Prince and the Pauper

Mickey's Ultimate Challenge

Video with FinalGamer

COMPLETE [Mateo360 VLP] And now for the first addition to this being a Megathread

Let's Play Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom!

COMPLETE [Choco1980 VLP] Among my many games I had as a tyke that I was in no way good at, this one probably vexed me the most, because I was almost good enough to do good in it. As far as I know it's Disney's first NES game, and it pits you, a random friend of Mickey with the task of collecting keys around the park at various rides. These rides are, of course, actually levels, but they all play a little or a lot different from each other, with JUST enough difficulty that you'll waste most of your lives/continues on one attraction, not having enough to catch up and get them all. There's a wide variety of playstyles, from bog standard racers, a very early QTE style game for the NES, platforming sections, and even a trivia challenge. Unfortunately, the trivia one is the only one without a time limit, and in many cases that limit is harsh. You don't have much time for exploring the levels, you have to hurry towards the goal and hope you don't get hit in the process.

But anyways, let's begin our journey with a brief tour of the park, including the attractions that you can't play in, and then move on to our first challenge:

Autopia (1/6)
Big Thunder Mountain (2/6)
The Haunted Mansion (3/6) (with bonus vignette)
Pirates of the Caribbean (4/6) :pirate:
Space Mountain (5/6)
Trivia Game! (6/6)

Bonus!
While doing a little bit of research for the game, I found This incredibly informative interview with Darlene Lacy, former head of Disney's video game division, and liaison to Capcom about the game.

He has a Temper of Doom, it's Quackshot starring Donald Duck!

COMPLETE [FinalGamer VLP] Welcome to one of my favourite games on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, one of Donald's first ever games and undoubtedly one of his best where he becomes an asskicking Indiana Jones copy. You travel around the world shooting down baddies and rivals as you search for the lost treasure of King Garuzia, from Duckburg to beyond!
The game is basically an action platformer, standard Sega fare for the day and it was even bundled sometimes with Castle of Illusion as a two-fer. I'll be taking you through the game with Combat Lobster as he joins me for a rip-roaring plane crazy adventure in which we battle with bats, raid ancient tombs and make jokes about Donald's huge rear end. I hope you're all ready to join me and Lobster in one of the most underrated games of the Genesis, because it's time to fly!

Let's Play The Lion King

COMPLETE [Silver Falcon LP] The year was 1994 (that's almost 20 years ago, kids. Feel old yet?!), following the release of Disney's mega blockbuster hit The Lion King, Westwood Studios released video games based on the movie! Two of them. (Well, there were also Gameboy and Gamegear versions but we're not talking about those.) And being these were the days when movie video games were actually... ya know... good! These games were really good! And also balls hard, but we'll get to that!

At the tender age of 10, I got the Genesis version for Christmas, and I was happy. Sometimes I'd rent the SNES version just because. But I beat both versions. Many times. I would spend weekends, summers, just playing this game over, and over, and over. I loved it so drat much.

I'm going to cover both versions, because while they are essentially the same game, there are subtle differences between them. In general, the Genesis version has (IMO) better graphics and better overall sound direction. The SNES version as superior music, though, vastly superior for the most part. And being how the music in the movie was loving fantastic and definitely one of the best things about it, this is a major consideration!

My companions on this journey will be FinalGamer and Cichlidae, and that about covers it, I think! Let's jump right in!

Polsy version ============================== Polsy version

The Emperor's New Groove

DISCONTINUED DUE TO LICENSED FUCKS [Mateo360 VLP] Aces High and I take on this game to see if it can live up to the humor of movie. A demo of this game on the PC is actually included as a DVD-rom feature on the original DVD release and is the reason I wanted this game.

Level 1-1 Village
Level 1-2 Village
Level 1-3 Village
Level 1-4 Village

Level 2-1 Jungle Night
Level 2-2 Jungle Night
Level 2-3 Jungle Night

Level 3-1 River
Level 3-2 River
Level 3-3 River
Level 3-4 River

Level 4-1 Jungle Day
Level 4-2 Jungle Day
Level 4-3 Jungle Day

Level 5-1 Mountain

Let's Play Mickey's Speedway USA For A Bit

COMPLETE [TheMcD VLP] Well, here goes nothing.

Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: These loving Races Man

An LPer's Life for Me! Let's Play Pinocchio!

COMPLETE [Combat Lobster VLP] Disney's Pinocchio is an adventure platformer developed as a co-production with Virgin Interactive and Disney Interactive for the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and Game Boy in 1996. The game is an adaptation of the 1940 animated film of the same name.

Coming along for the ride is FinalGamer as we ask the hard-hitting questions about a wooden boy and his quest to become a 'real' boy; as well as finding out how much 'adventure', 'discovery', and 'humour' is crammed into 24 MB. (Seriously, why is this a bulletpoint on the back of the box?)

Level 1: An Actor's Life for Me

Levels 2 & 3: Lampside Seating and Marionette Show

Levels 4 & 5: Pleasure Island and Escape from Pleasure Island

Levels 6 & 7: Search for Monstro and FISH!

Levels 8 & 9: Inside Monstro and Escape from Montro

------------------------

ALAKAZAM! Let's play World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck!

COMPLETE [FinalGamer/Silver Falcon VLP] In a land far far away, deep within the corner of a child's imagination, lies a world of illusion. A small world, yet one somehow grander than one could ever expect it to be in the most simple of times. Two magicians find themselves cast away into this far land of fantasy, ruled by a dark sorcerer who challenges them to solve his maze of illusions. But we are not able to fight alone, for the greatest of adventures begin and end with friendships!

Overview
Hello everybody, and welcome to our small but hopefully fun LP of World of Illusion, starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. It's a short game, one of many Sega/Disney collaborations that made many a child happy like the rest of the Illusion series despite having no connections to each other whatsoever. This game DOES however have a small sense of replay value involved with it, as you can play as either Mickey solo, Donald solo, or both of them together.

Addendum
As a result, Silver Falcon and I shall take you together on our magical oddyssey through a dark sorcerer's land, showing you the different paths and wonders that lie beyond our 16-bit borders. I shall be taking you through the Mickey run, whilst Falcon shall guide you through the Donald run. Once we're done with that, we'll finish it together on a full co-op run.
I hope you all have fun joining us for this great adventure, so let's get to it!

-

-----------------------------------------------Polsy

[img]http://lpix.org/1681832/World of Illusion Donald 4.jpg][/img]

--------------------

Let's Try To Play BRAVE: the Game

gently caress THIS [Gameplusmeagan VLP]

Well, we played two episodes of "Brave" but it was pretty terrible and I was relegated to the "2nd-player-co-op-but-not-really" seat so two episodes is all you're gonna get:

Episode 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgcMlix018I

Episode 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11OgU-tqfHk

-------------------

Let's Play SNES Aladdin!

COMPLETE [Gameplusmeagan VLP]

--------------------

Let's Play Aladdin GENESIS

[Shadow Hog VLP] Okay! Sorry I took so long in whipping this up, but it's finally time to play Disney's Aladdin for the Sega Genesis! Let Aces High, Mateo360 and I show you through the first three stages of the game:

--------------------

Let's Play A BUG'S LIFE

COMPLETE [Crosspeice VLP] So, here's the first part of probably the only Disney game I ever played. The game, video and I are all terrible, so enjoy.

--------------------

Witness the terribleness that is Alice in Wonderland

[Killrrhubarb VLP]

Alice 01?

It's for the Gameboy Color, Killrrhubarb, not the Gameboy Advanced. Get your facts right!

--------------------

To Infinity And gently caress-All Else: Let's Play Toy Story SNES!

COMPLETE [FinalGamer VLP] Hello everyone, and welcome back to another LP for the megathread! This time I'm taking on the Toy Story SNES game along with FreezingInferno, who I absconded withoffered to take along with me for the ride! Enjoy our chills and thrills that won't exist when we face:
- MODE 7 GRAPHICS
- lovely RESOLUTIONS
- GODDAMN HUGE HITBOXES WHAT THE HELL
- MY SENSE OF CHILDHOOD FAILING ON ME

All this AND MORE so join me and Freezing (and a special guest!) as we head on into the world of TOYS!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

If anyone is curious about the Playstation version look no further then its title screen:

:wtc:

Anyways, I've never played this game before, so I'll be watching eagerly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh hey, I rented this once! Not utterly sure if it was the Genesis or Sega CD version, but I didn't get too far. Looking forward to more!

Also, I'm a bit shocked this didn't get a Saturn release. :psyduck:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I've played and beaten both the SNES and the Genesis version. One thing I can tell is that there is a slight change in physics and probably spawn distance as well and some other stuff. This results in enemies and projectiles being in different places even when not intentionally spawned in different places. Other things have also a different timing. What is a safe spot in one version is not in another and so on. As such, if you beat the game, but still want to experience the challenge, you can switch version and your muscle memory will betray you.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Crystalgate posted:

I've played and beaten both the SNES and the Genesis version. One thing I can tell is that there is a slight change in physics and probably spawn distance as well and some other stuff. This results in enemies and projectiles being in different places even when not intentionally spawned in different places. Other things have also a different timing. What is a safe spot in one version is not in another and so on. As such, if you beat the game, but still want to experience the challenge, you can switch version and your muscle memory will betray you.
Listen to this person right here.

You have no idea how much this can gently caress you up between versions. It's not even like one version is actually harder than another, but it gets weirdly unbalanced sometimes on the smallest of things.
I hope you can give us examples of this when we reach later levels Crystalgate, because I actually do wanna know about this. The Playstation version is VERY unique and has all of its sprites remade and is more or less the most "complete" of the four versions.
Sadly I do not have the ability to record this, so if anyone else wants to take a shot with the PSX version, I'd love to see you go for it.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 1, 2014

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Another difference between the SNES and the Genesis I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the more zoomed-in view of the SNES version due to the lower resolution of 256x224 pixels as opposed to 320x240 in the Genesis version. Interestingly enough, the Genesis can also do 256x224 resolution, which was used in quite a number of ports from other systems, but obviously, Traveller's Tales opted to play to the strengths of the Genesis when making this game. Also, the cool 3d effect used for the waves in the background layer seems to have been downgraded for the SNES version. Apparently, "linescrolling" effects like that are especially easy to pull off on the Genesis without taxing the CPU or GPU too much, but it was another story on the SNES.

Also, the SNES most likely has loading times before levels because that's where data from the cartridge is decompressed which takes longer to do on the SNES due to its weak CPU.

Yeah, 16-bit consoles are kind of awesome. :cool:

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 2, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

fixelbrumpf posted:

Another difference between the SNES and the Genesis I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the more zoomed-in view of the SNES version due to the lower resolution of 256x224 pixels as opposed to 320x240 in the Genesis version. Interestingly enough, the Genesis can also do 256x224 resolution, which was used in quite a number of ports from other systems, but obviously, Traveller's Tales opted to play to the strengths of the Genesis when making this game. Also, the cool 3d effect used for the waves in the background layer seems to have been downgraded for the SNES version. Apparently, "linescrolling" effects like that is especially easy to pull off on the Genesis without taxing the CPU or GPU too much, but it was another story on the SNES.

Also, the SNES most likely has loading times before levels because that's where data from the cartridge is decompressed which takes longer to do on the SNES due to its weak CPU.

Yeah, 16-bit consoles are kind of awesome. :cool:
Okay that is SUPER-informative to learn, thank you for adding that to the thread dude! And I will tell you right now, that resolution on the SNES version is going to be very painfully reminded to me when we get further on in this game. It's rather weird how...well, it's early days yet, I'm sure you'll have plenty to talk on once we get to later levels to compare between versions.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Combat Lobster posted:

If anyone is curious about the Playstation version look no further then its title screen:

Oh god Mickey please don't hurt me :gonk:

This was also the cover art for the PSX version. I guess they were trying to make Mickey seem cooler and edgier and such for the PSX audience, but even as a kid I thought this cover was just silly.

As for the game itself, I played the SNES version a lot when I was a kid. I liked it, but never even got close to finishing it because it got balls hard very fast and I suck at platformers. I got the Mega Drive version last year, and this game certainly hasn't gotten any easier (nor have I gotten much better at platform games) over the last 20 years.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Oh man, I have very old memories of this game, back when I played on the Genesis at a friend's house. I don't think I got very far in the game, though, certainly not past the third level. This should be fun to see!

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
The PS version of Steamboat Willie for those interested. As far as I can tell the sprites are a little different. Look at that awesome ducking animation!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Killrrhubarb posted:

The PS version of Steamboat Willie for those interested. As far as I can tell the sprites are a little different. Look at that awesome ducking animation!
Oh hey, I didn't remember Psygnosis was involved with this version.

Also love how the title/copyright screen reads "(c) 1995 PYGNOSIS" :downs:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Something about platform games and Mickey usually seems to gel really well.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

Oh hey, I didn't remember Psygnosis was involved with this version.

Also love how the title/copyright screen reads "(c) 1995 PYGNOSIS" :downs:

I didn't notice that! That's a error of the times. I'll have to check if it's like that on the actual disk.

Psygnosis was responsible for enhancing all the graphics of this version, i believe. The PS version also adds some special things we'll be seeing later, if FinalGamer does not object to me continuing on recording it. One of the big differences we can see right now is that this version of the game is A LOT harder than the other versions, though, and is very badly balanced. This game (especially the next level) gave me a lot of trouble as a child.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I received the Mega Drive version as a birthday gift. Prior to that my experience with Disney games boiled down to the Illusion series and Quackshot, so Mickey Mania was a very surreal surprise - the animation was excellent, a lot of the effects in-game were very impressive for the system, the sound chip made the music disturbing in a way the composers didn't want it to be, and the engine seemed to prioritise animation over control and collision detection, making it that much harder for the player to avoid being hit, destroy enemies and even land on certain platforms.

I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the ports, particularly how they replace/replicate some of the effects like the 3D tower or chase scenes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I dunno if it was the fact it was running in the Emulator in the early 2000's / Late 90's , but the SNES version came off to someone who's Childhood was playing the MD Version on and off from Global Video as something of a sucky port with the loading times and everything.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Combat Lobster posted:

Minnie, ha ha, how many times have I, ha ha, told you I want dinner on the table, ha ha, when I get home from work, ha ha!

And, ha ha, I know you've been, ha ha, seeing Goofy behind my, ha ha, back!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Killrrhubarb posted:

Wow that is a lot of difference right there, I was wrong then, even if it carries a lot of the Sega-CD quality, it sure has enough of itself to be its own port. You'll also all find it weird that the music is CONSTANTLY being switched around all the drat time in every port, they are never consistent on where the music goes and I have no idea why.

Killrrhubarb posted:

I didn't notice that! That's a error of the times. I'll have to check if it's like that on the actual disk.

Psygnosis was responsible for enhancing all the graphics of this version, i believe. The PS version also adds some special things we'll be seeing later, if FinalGamer does not object to me continuing on recording it. One of the big differences we can see right now is that this version of the game is A LOT harder than the other versions, though, and is very badly balanced. This game (especially the next level) gave me a lot of trouble as a child.
Please do, I'm really curious to see what the PS1 version is like to play, as well as how hard it apparently is from the oddly-balanced difficulty. I also note the music is SLIGHTLY different in its quality but that's not a bad thing, like it has more reverb or something on the PS1 maybe?
Either way, the Sega-CD/PS1 soundtrack is my favourite, especially for one level which has one of my favourite videogame pieces of all time so yes, PLEASE record more of this, I'd love to see this game fully on the PS1.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I remember playing this game - at some friend's, for sure, I never owned it. Don't know how far into it I got, look forward to seeing known and new stuff! Do remember the loading times on SNES, very very strange.

The design is already really reminiscent of many licensed platformers of the time - it focuses a lot on having a lot of more-or-less random poo poo from the source material in a level, like the cranes and the "fight" against Pete, and not so much actual level design, if that is not too confusing a statement. Like, you have the travel on a crate which is just abysmally slow in everything but the Sega CD version and obviously just there to set the mood, you have to ring the bells to pass pretty much out of nowhere too, all of these one-of elements which make the entire level lack focus from a gameplay perspective.

Other examples recently seen in the LP forum: Adventures of Tintin in the Hard Games thread and Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (no proper source material, but it definitely focuses on "cool" setpieces over tight stage design.
Lion King on SNES also does that, and the abysmal Asterix games (I own two and could not get past the second stage in each, they are so loving unplayable). An unlicensed example would be Earthworm Jim.

This actually makes the games very fun to watch (animations! Cool stuff in the background! Music cues! Voice clips!) but not too fun to play (I'm not sure how much it extends to this game, though). So thanks for that effort and then tripling it for all the versions!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is one of those games that I rented. Over and over. Both the SNES and Genesis versions, but never bought. I don't remember why. I sure liked it enough! I beat it so many times. I think in the end I preferred the Genesis version, but I've never tried the Sega CD or PSX ports. I'll be paying special attention to those!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Two side notes (on the gen version) is that you can jump on the bottom gears of the boss and you can use those as a way to get up and damage the top gears. The bottom gears don't have enough health to get all the hits in for the top gears so you still need one or two springs for each side. Also there is a top path of windowsills, during the falling crates, that leads to an extra life.

I will be watching this to see how to do the later levels I have never beaten all the levels without the stage select code.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Genesis version was one of the few games I owned when I was a kid. I think all I had for that console was Sonic 2, 3, Knuckles and Mickey Mania.

No one in my family could get past the second level so I can't wait to see everything I missed.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

You guys complaining about the second level difficulty has never experienced the PS version. I'm practicing it right now (so my run looks kind of competent) and I'm dying a whole bunch!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Killrrhubarb posted:

You guys complaining about the second level difficulty has never experienced the PS version. I'm practicing it right now (so my run looks kind of competent) and I'm dying a whole bunch!

Oh, that isn't what I meant. I have completed every level of the game. I just never did so sequentially. Some of the level I went back and completed years after finishing the final boss. In fact the 3rd movie is the only one that I remember skipping regularly.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Killrrhubarb posted:

Well I hope you can get the video up soon in a few days because guess what!

Episode 2: The Mad Doctor (1933)

EDIT: \/ holy poo poo, well played Rhubarb. And goddamn that looks a lot nicer already than the Sega-CD does with that lighting and background work. The tower section looks VERY nice but wow they add way more projectiles you have to avoid, that is such horseshit.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 4, 2014

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

In a couple of days? How about right now?

The Mad Doctor

Killrrhubarb fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 4, 2014

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Killrrhubarb posted:

In a couple of days? How about right now?

The Mad Doctor

Any clue if the secret 1up was in that version too?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Samizdata posted:

Any clue if the secret 1up was in that version too?

It is! And just because I felt like showing off the version differences: Secret

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Looking at it one wonders if Sony didn't diliberaly cut the budget for the SNES version out of Spite against Nintendo following the SNES CD debacle.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 4, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

gently caress this level. :gonk: I'm pretty sure I never made it past this point myself, my friend did somehow manage to get all the way to the final level though.

It would be quite nice if each update included a youtube link to the relevant cartoon, although I suppose we can always look them up ourselves as well. In any case, here's The Mad Doctor (1933).

edit: I guess it might technically be :filez: to have the links to the full cartoons even if it's just Youtube, so I'll remove the Steamboat Willie link for now just to be safe. The Mad Doctor is apparently in public domain so that should be okay.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 4, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Looking at it one wonders if Sony didn't diliberaly cut the budget for the SNES version out of Spite against Nintendo following the SNES CD debacle.
That...is an interesting theory, that actually makes more sense than anything I can come up with soooooo maybe? It does seem really weird that the SNES version of all things got downgraded to such an extent, when it really seems like there was no particular reason to do it.
I mean, the SNES can do voice clips perfectly from what little you hear, as well as other games like say Street Fighter II and whatnot.

If anyone wants to go see the actual Disney cartoons, they're all pretty much up on Youtube some way or another so yeah they're easy to find. Hell I found the full videos of the last two levels of the game and those are not only longer cartoons, but one was pretty recent!

Let's not spoil what the future levels are though ;) wanna keep those who didn't get to those in suspense after all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wow, that elevator's a real femur hell segment on the SNES version.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

OH NO MAN posted:

It would be quite nice if each update included a youtube link to the relevant cartoon, although I suppose we can always look them up ourselves as well. In any case, here's The Mad Doctor (1933).

Having never played the game before, and now watching the cartoon, what perhaps strikes me most is how almost every element from the game is at least somewhat grounded in the cartoon, right down to 'Elevator full of skeletons that throw their skulls at you'. They even went out of their way to add non-gameplay elements, like the grandfather clock, to really drive in 'See? YOU are in the mad doctor's castle!' That's some fine attention to detail, Traveller's Tales.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK it was definitely the Genesis version that I played, because I vaguely remember this level and it definitely had a tower sequence. I think this level scared the hell out of me or something, because now I remember always using a Game Genie when I played. I remember you had to switch off the invincibility code for any tower areas, and sometimes it would just make the game freeze as soon as you got hit.

I guess it really has been a long time since I last played it. Some games I played the hell out of in my childhood I still remember, like, muscle memory. This one? Nope.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Black Wombat posted:

Having never played the game before, and now watching the cartoon, what perhaps strikes me most is how almost every element from the game is at least somewhat grounded in the cartoon, right down to 'Elevator full of skeletons that throw their skulls at you'. They even went out of their way to add non-gameplay elements, like the grandfather clock, to really drive in 'See? YOU are in the mad doctor's castle!' That's some fine attention to detail, Traveller's Tales.
For Mickey aficionados, the game definitely does give tribute to the levels EXTREMELY well, which is exactly why the levels are so odd and clunked up with odd details. Watching the cartoon after knowing the level so well, I had the same feeling of bizarre deja vu and admiration for their efforts.

Mad Doctor definitely feels the most cared-for level in terms of details...the other levels I am not so sure about but we'll find out, they definitely paid good attention to them.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

OH NO MAN posted:

edit: I guess it might technically be :filez: to have the links to the full cartoons even if it's just Youtube, so I'll remove the Steamboat Willie link for now just to be safe. The Mad Doctor is apparently in public domain so that should be okay.

Steamboat Willie has been put on Youtube by Disney themselves. Quality's not great but I have no idea if there's a better version out there somewhere (it is 85 years old, after all.)

(Just for the hell of it here's Plane Crazy, too -- official Disney upload again.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Anime Reference posted:

Steamboat Willie has been put on Youtube by Disney themselves. Quality's not great but I have no idea if there's a better version out there somewhere (it is 85 years old, after all.)
I think that's the link I originally posted and decided to take down for some reason even though I knew it was an official upload. :downs:

I've never actually seen these old cartoons until now, and holy poo poo Mickey used to be an enormous rear end in a top hat. :stare:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

OH NO MAN posted:

I think that's the link I originally posted and decided to take down for some reason even though I knew it was an official upload. :downs:

I've never actually seen these old cartoons until now, and holy poo poo Mickey used to be an enormous rear end in a top hat. :stare:
Mickey was a fantastic rear end in a top hat back in the day. Actually there are some VERY recent cartoons but I have no idea where you can find them, they basically harken back to the old '30s Mickey Mouse cartoons and it's him, Donald and Goofy just screwing around with the dumbest poo poo. And it is hilarious because Mickey is such a wise-rear end in it.

People know what I'm talking about right? Cuz I'm pretty sure I can't link any due to :filez:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Double post as always, time for a new update with the shortest level in the game!

Episode 3: Moose Hunters (1937)

This is so far my favourite video of the LP, short as it is.

(I think the gif for this is broken because it's stupid and doesn't loop so if anyone else can get a really cool gif from that cartoon I'd appreciate it)

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 7, 2014

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I used to have the PS1 version, and it came with a separate disc which had various songs on it. All I can remember was this awful version of Ice Ice Mickey. I hope that doesn't count as the first CD I owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

That...is an interesting theory, that actually makes more sense than anything I can come up with soooooo maybe? It does seem really weird that the SNES version of all things got downgraded to such an extent, when it really seems like there was no particular reason to do it.
I mean, the SNES can do voice clips perfectly from what little you hear, as well as other games like say Street Fighter II and whatnot.

The thing is, music aside (and there it's more a case of doing music in a way that's more suited to the chip), there's no reason at all the SNES shouldn't be able to handle what the MD is doing. The fact it is such a shoddy project on practically all levels (To the point that they're needing a loading screen on a cartridge which is nothing short of utterly ludicrous) suggests a rush job with little budget as befitting Sony's attitude to the House that Mario Built at that time.

• Locked thread