Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I had expected it to be cross generation since Rocksteady was hiring UE3 programmers. It looks like they're running on heavily modified Unreal tech.

ImpAtom posted:

Not thrilled at all about mandatory vehicle segments. Going in with the expectation they're going to be the most dragging-down part of the game so here is hoping I'm wrong.

Assuming this isn't homicidal Tim Burton Batman, I have to wonder if Rocksteady will even let you run over enemies since Batman usually knocks people out. Or they could place convenient roadblocks/tank traps/narrow alleys near places with enemies which force Batman to leave his car and beat people up on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

Assuming this isn't homicidal Tim Burton Batman, I have to wonder if Rocksteady will even let you run over enemies since Batman usually knocks people out. Or they could place convenient roadblocks/tank traps/narrow alleys near places with enemies which force Batman to leave his car and beat people up on foot.

What I am expecting is something like they showed in the trailer: There are enemy areas. When driving through them you get a button prompt to leap out and start fighting, otherwise they scatter/dive out of the way. I don't think they'll let you drive over dudes and I hope to god they don't mandate you hop out of the Batcar every time you encounter an enemy.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
^^^ I hope there's a button to summon your Batmobile and slam it into whatever the Titan-mook equivalent is.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Might have missed it, are there going to be civilians now?

It was kind of ridiculous they weren't around at all in Origins, and it shouldnt be that hard since Arkham City sorta did that with the few political prisoners around that you couldnt fight and just hung around huddled like homeless dudes but also giving funny reactions whenever batman just walks on by.

The excerpt from GI above said the city's been evacuated. Origins had curfew, now Knight has a city-wide evacuation. I don't know why anyone lives in Gotham.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Glad that this is at least Rocksteady's last Batman game. It sucks to see good developers tied to one franchise. Hopefully the jump to next-gen did them so good, and they can give this game some more variety other than cosmetic differences.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bonds0097 posted:

The excerpt from GI above said the city's been evacuated. Origins had curfew, now Knight has a city-wide evacuation. I don't know why anyone lives in Gotham.

Job opportunities

Henchmen have a huge turnover rate

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bonds0097 posted:

^^^ I hope there's a button to summon your Batmobile and slam it into whatever the Titan-mook equivalent is.

Well there was like ten years between these two events, so...

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Robot_Rumpus posted:

The funny part is that I could totally believe that happened in the comics. Or as people who buy a lot of them seem to refer to them as, 'books'.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Didn't this happen in a Spider-Man book?

Whether he intended it or not this is almost exactly KAMANDI: The Last Boy on Earth.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I am looking forward to this and have reasonable amounts of faith that Rocksteady will do the franchise justice again. :unsmith:

Azubah posted:

I generally felt awful for some of the goons after environment takedowns in Sleeping Dogs, I can only assume Batman realized he wasn't being a big enough rear end in a top hat until he saw it happen there.
"…what do you mean, I can slam a car door shut on a thug's skull? Push his face into a table saw?! "

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

The summers are just wonderful.

Alternately; living almost anywhere else in the DC universe is an even worse option and out of the variety of places I could reside Gotham is one of the safer.

Commissar Ken posted:

Whether he intended it or not this is almost exactly KAMANDI: The Last Boy on Earth.

I absolutely did. Does anybody have the incredible map of that universe?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MMAgCh posted:

"…what do you mean, I can slam a car door shut on a thug's skull? Push his face into a table saw?! "

See, what I want is for Rocksteady to check out Voltion's take on The Punisher and go from there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

bonds0097 posted:

Batman hangs out there and he's so cool! Sure you gotta deal with someone poisoning/freezing/evaporating/being a gator and swimming on/stealing the water supply every other tuesday, and a part of a city being overrun by villains every couple of days, plus the times Darkseid decides to start his invasion there and all the banks being moneyholes, but hey, you get to see Batman from your window every now and then.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

but hey, you get to see Batman from your window every now and then.

And at the end of the day, that's what people stay for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Can I... can I play this now....? :shepspends:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jerusalem posted:

Can I... can I play this now....? :shepspends:

October's not that far, right?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm probably alone in this, but I'm really disappointed at the lack of multiplayer. It's rough around the edges, but Origin's multiplayer was a fantastic idea and despite some issues still pretty fun in execution, easily the most entertaining part of Origins to me. I'd have loved to see the new game revisit is and try to iron out some of the problems with it, even if it was SplashDamage developing the multiplayer again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think I'm gonna wait for the GOTY edition going on a Steam Sale. It's inevitable for this to get a bunch of DLC and it gives me more time to upgrade the gently caress out of my PC.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Barudak posted:

I absolutely did. Does anybody have the incredible map of that universe?

gently caress yes I do.

Every single territory name would make an amazing band name. "Ello' ello' yeah we're the Kangarat Murder Society."

Barudak posted:

Alternately; living almost anywhere else in the DC universe is an even worse option and out of the variety of places I could reside Gotham is one of the safer.

Right? Imagine you're just sitting there reaching over for your remote and Superman smashes right through it and your couch and out the other side because Doomsday fuckoff punched him through your apartment. There's no way your insurance is covering anything. At least with Gotham you might luck out and be kidnapped by Kite Man or the Film Freak and it's just an annoyance until his face is punched in.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MAD-HOLE Country of the Screamers never fails to make my day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I want to live in the Orangutan Surfing Civilization

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

Right? Imagine you're just sitting there reaching over for your remote and Superman smashes right through it and your couch and out the other side because Doomsday fuckoff punched him through your apartment. There's no way your insurance is covering anything. At least with Gotham you might luck out and be kidnapped by Kite Man or the Film Freak and it's just an annoyance until his face is punched in.

Most of the time in Gotham unless you hold a particularly interesting job you're probably just going to get mugged as the worst crime you'll face. In Metropolis you'd be lucky not to get mind-obliterated by an alien parasite or have your life force stolen from your body every time you go to the grocery store.

If you don't have a retirement home in Strange Fire Area you are missing out.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I want to live in the Orangutan Surfing Civilization

Kangarat Murder Society would have been a good name for my high school punk band.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Excels posted:

So much for that no-kill run, Batman.

It's going to suck for the one thug he runs into that decided to use a metal bat. :allears:

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm really disappointed at the lack of multiplayer. It's rough around the edges, but Origin's multiplayer was a fantastic idea and despite some issues still pretty fun in execution, easily the most entertaining part of Origins to me. I'd have loved to see the new game revisit is and try to iron out some of the problems with it, even if it was SplashDamage developing the multiplayer again.

I'm of two minds on this. It's good that Rocksteady has a very clear goal in mind making the game and doesn't want multiplayer getting in the way of a solid single player experience, and good on WB for not mandating Rocksteady tack something on they aren't comfortable with. However, the Batman series has so much multiplayer potential and I hope it's something whatever dev takes over the series next (WB Montreal probably) explores. After Arkham Knight comes out and there's a full size Gotham City created to build upon I hope we get a GTA style street level crime game. GTA Online is a good starting point in terms of game style; let players build their own character and choose a villain to hench for (each with their own in-game perks) and carry out missions and robberies to work their way up the food chain while players who choose the hero roles roam around the city as Batman and Robin stopping crimes in progress and arresting criminals.

Or hell, just keep it simple and expand upon Invisible Predator Online, or as I like to call it 'Henchman Dressup Simulator'. :v:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's going to suck for the one thug he runs into that decided to use a metal bat. :allears:

really, why do crooks even bother anymore

It'd be cathartic to just swoop down one time and have the whole gang of 20+ thugs utterly disperse on sight with every man running away as if for life.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The only thing that's disappointing is no civilians and another one-long-night plot.

One of these years WBIE, is going to take the engine here and just do Batman's Creed open world instead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm glad there is no multiplayer since it means I get to clear out every achievement in the game like I did for Asylum and City :)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

It'd be cathartic to just swoop down one time and have the whole gang of 20+ thugs utterly disperse on sight with every man running away as if for life.

Apparently 50 people can fit on-screen now, right? I'd like to see Batman jump down in front of a crowd that size, have them all stare at him, before running screaming in the other direction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HenessyHero posted:

This is why I love the banter so much.

Thug 1: Hey you must be so happy to have escaped from prison!
Thug 2: What the hell was I thinking? Now Batman's gonna find me and not only will I be back in prison, I'm probably gonna spend a few months in the infirmary too :sigh:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gotham has been evacuated and only criminals remain

I wish there was a solution for allowing free-roaming in populated areas without contrivances like this so we could go around stopping muggers in terrifying ways like Michael Keaton.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Figured if they can now fit 50ish people onscreen that would mean finally an open world with some civvies, but nope. Oh well.

Also gently caress Riddler trophies. Already going through like 700 of them in the last 3 games, just gently caress that poo poo, getting really old.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Figured if they can now fit 50ish people onscreen that would mean finally an open world with some civvies, but nope. Oh well.

Also gently caress Riddler trophies. Already going through like 700 of them in the last 3 games, just gently caress that poo poo, getting really old.

To be fair, I'm sure this is an accurate representation of how Batman feels.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Barudak posted:

Its Bludhaven and Hub City that are considered even more corrupt than Gotham right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair, I'm sure this is an accurate representation of how Batman feels.

Yeah, just imagine how Bruce feels knowing that he has to find these things while dealing with Riddler's :smug: all night.

The only solace he has is that he'll be able to punch Riddler in the face at the end of the night.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Sober posted:

no civilians

Honest question: what value does having civilians provide to an Arkham game?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Russad posted:

I'm not one who really cares whether civilians are in the game or not, but I would love to hear civilian banter akin to thug banter. More banter in general really, I would play Batman: Arkham Banter. :allears:

Edit: The hostages in the subway car in Arkham: Origins bickering over whether Batman is here to save them or kill them was pretty great, as an example, even if the one lady apparently commuted from Boston.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Toady posted:

I wish there was a solution for allowing free-roaming in populated areas without contrivances like this so we could go around stopping muggers in terrifying ways like Michael Keaton.

Don't the Spider-Man games all do this? The open-world ones anyway. I seem to remember civilians in Amazing Spider-Man and in Spidey 2.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope the movie-makers are taking notes because that is a drat fine Batsuit. Probably my favorite "real world" interpretation. City's was nice, and Origins was too bulky for my taste. I feel like Goldilocks; this one is juuuuuuust right.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Russad posted:

I'd say none, if this game was like the first and took place on a isolated Island prison. But having a huge open world city filled with just random mooks just feels hollow. At least that's how I felt playing Origins.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

Origins was "There's a giant loving blizzard going on outside, stay inside. We aren't Atlanta."

achillesforever6 posted:

Its Bludhaven and Hub City that are considered even more corrupt than Gotham right?

Bludhaven's corruption was pretty cancerous, and then it got some Chemo and it's been getting better since it flushed a lot of the problems out.

Hub City is probably worse than Gotham. At least there aren't random ninja attacks at the Knights home games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Russad posted:

It feels contrived to be Batman in Gotham without Gothamites. I haven't played Origins yet, but while the first two Arkhams nailed the experience of being Batman in so many ways, some things missing were meeting Gordon under the Batsignal, dropping down to save civilians from criminals, and so on. I think the political prisoners in Arkham City were an attempt to add that element.

bonds0097 posted:

Don't the Spider-Man games all do this? The open-world ones anyway. I seem to remember civilians in Amazing Spider-Man and in Spidey 2.

I've never played them. My guess is there isn't a good solution for when the player tries to troll civilians by blocking traffic, walking into people, etc. WB probably wouldn't let Batman be portrayed doing things he wouldn't do. No YouTube videos of rear end in a top hat Batman.

• Locked thread