Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Eeevil posted:

The cycling lands have always been some of my favorite pauper cards, so I thought I'd try for something similar. They tap for pain instead of entering tapped because I think they'd be most likely to see constructed play in tribal decks, which tend to be aggressive.

I like the cut of your jib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

buuump

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

A while back I was talking to my buddy about how red keeps getting shafted re: ways to gain card advantage, and I decided scry should stay on as an evergreen keyword in red.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I like it, but card draw of that power is hard to come by in red's color pool. My suggestion would be to have the additional cost be to discard your hand, a la Dangerous Wager.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I like it, but card draw of that power is hard to come by in red's color pool. My suggestion would be to have the additional cost be to discard your hand, a la Dangerous Wager.

Or just bring it to sorcery speed, honestly.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

It's not even bad alliterative verse, it's alliterative prose holding up a sign saying Alliterative Verse and hoping nobody questions it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It's not even bad alliterative verse, it's alliterative prose holding up a sign saying Alliterative Verse and hoping nobody questions it.

In keeping with typical formatting it should be:

quote:

Equipment you control have "Equipped creature gets +1/+1."

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Right, good point. The Equipment for plural thing was weirding me out already, I guess my subconscious rebelled and screwed with the verb. :v:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Mikujin posted:

Or just bring it to sorcery speed, honestly.

It's balanced against Read the Bones, on the idea that
A: A card in hand is worth more than 2 life. (As evidenced by the fact that Sign in Blood is a Good Card)
B: The fact that this just cantrips instead of actually generating advantage like Sign In Bones does offsets the upgrade to instant.

That said, I guess trying to keep parity with an uncommon is sort of shady for the 'make a common' objective, and commons are supposed to be a little simpler than this. Plan B:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

G for the Prismatic Omen/Nylea's Presence thing, U for Thermal Flux. It doesn’t really need U because of Arcum’s Weathervane, but I like the idea.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Right, good point. The Equipment for plural thing was weirding me out already, I guess my subconscious rebelled and screwed with the verb. :v:

Not common under NWO. It can generate a large amount of board complexity.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sleep of Bronze posted:

G for the Prismatic Omen/Nylea's Presence thing, U for Thermal Flux. It doesn’t really need U because of Arcum’s Weathervane, but I like the idea.

I don't know that turning 1 colorless to 1 blue is worth it to make Nylea's Presence also add snow. It can probably just be 1G. :shrug:

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
As a heads up, the deadline is going to be Friday at 6pm EST.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GyroNinja posted:

As a heads up, the deadline is going to be Friday at 6pm EST.

Cool, time for more submissions!

Edit: One more. Reverse Bestow!

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 7, 2014

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Commons are fun. :)

I feel like these sort of designs could sort of fit into any set where their niche is required for draft.

Soothing Cacophony fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 7, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
[

U-DO Burger posted:

Cool, time for more submissions!

This is cool but I'd reccomend anyone doing submissions for this contest to listen to MaRo's Drive To Work podcast on New World Order (it came out within the last month I think?) -- it breaks down pretty well what belongs in common and what doesn't; and while your mechanic might not necessarily be excluded, anything that requires a constant checking of board state gets a red flag. What WOULD perhaps be more in-line with NWO commons would be changing Underdog to an ETB effect; "when this creature enters the battlefield, place a +1/+1 counter on it if an opponent controls more permanents than you". Could also play nicely with other common ETB effects (maybe green gets a counter, red gets haste, black causes life loss and you gain life equal to life lost this way, etc)

Edit: yeah, come on, let's see a cycle! I wanna see where you can go with this. Maybe white spawns a 1/1 token-- kinda stumped on blue, though. Bounces an opponent's card, or taps/untaps a creature maybe?

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 7, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

goferchan posted:

Edit: yeah, come on, let's see a cycle! I wanna see where you can go with this. Maybe white spawns a 1/1 token-- kinda stumped on blue, though. Bounces an opponent's card, or taps/untaps a creature maybe?
If you did this as a cycle with the red guy getting haste, ironically you could do a 2/1 for R because on the play it's just a Elite Vanguard, and even on the draw they'd have to do something dumb like poo poo out moxen to make this better than a Goblin Piker.

Reminder that Wizards has no problem printing conditional 2-power red creatures for 1 mana

EDIT: Blue creature has flash and counters target spell unless they pay two :getin:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 7, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The design answer is stupid easy for blue - draw a card. Apparently that's something that development always has to tone back because it's so easy to take a mechanic and slap on "Draw a card" in blue that design makes way too many. Alternatively, target play mills some number, tap target creature and it doesn't untap, or loot a card could all work on a blue common.

For the red common a 2/2 for R that can't attack unless you control less permanents works - it's not as simple as doing something special on ETB, but it does limit the check for number of permanents to once each of your turns.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

That's not first-est strikey enough.

E: gently caress it, first-est strike. Long live Throat Wolf.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 7, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

goferchan posted:

This is cool but I'd reccomend anyone doing submissions for this contest to listen to MaRo's Drive To Work podcast on New World Order (it came out within the last month I think?) -- it breaks down pretty well what belongs in common and what doesn't; and while your mechanic might not necessarily be excluded, anything that requires a constant checking of board state gets a red flag. What WOULD perhaps be more in-line with NWO commons would be changing Underdog to an ETB effect; "when this creature enters the battlefield, place a +1/+1 counter on it if an opponent controls more permanents than you". Could also play nicely with other common ETB effects (maybe green gets a counter, red gets haste, black causes life loss and you gain life equal to life lost this way, etc)

I know I missed the contest deadline, but I liked your idea of switching Underdog to an ETB effect and having a cycle. So here we go!

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
Alright, as usual, going to start with a cut to 10.

- Eeevil
- Sleep of Bronze
- Tharizdun
- U-DO Burger
- zgrowler2
- Heatwizard
(cycle) - Eeevil
- Heatwizard
- U-DO Burger
- Entropic

Honorable mention - Sleep of Bronze, for Oil Droplet. Really, this card could just say "Choose one - Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature, or target player gets a poison counter" (and would still be a fine card), but I also find giving noncreature spells creature hilarious for some reason.
Honorable mention - Entropic, for Thin the Opposition. This is a really cool removal spell that would make for some interesting play decisions in limited. It would be a weird card to print on its own, but I could imagine an environment where it makes a lot of sense.
3rd - UDO Burger, for Stray Thoughts. I like this mechanic, even though it would result in a lot of rules issues. The one problem I could see is that it doesn't make a lot of sense in a set without regular Morph, and those two combined would take up a lot of complexity at common.
2nd - Eeevil, for Forbidden Woods. I really like this cycle. I am a bit concerned about a cycle of painlands at common, though. The best analog I can think of is the Barbarian Ring cycle back in Odyssey, but that was uncommon. Still, I could see these lands doing a lot of work in a tribal block.
1st - Heatwizard, for Archives Access. Forecast is a hard mechanic to design for at common, since you don't want effects that get degenerate when repeated each turn, but also has synergy with the main effect. I think this card meets both criteria rather well. I'm not sure what part of this card is white, but making it multicolored does let you keep it at 3 CMC, without obsoleting Divination which I think is probably the best place for it.

So congratulations to Heatwizard for winning the round!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

GyroNinja posted:

I really like this cycle. I am a bit concerned about a cycle of painlands at common, though. The best analog I can think of is the Barbarian Ring cycle back in Odyssey, but that was uncommon.

Yeah, this was a bit of a concern. I considered also letting them tap for colorless without a life cost, but I didn't want them to be too cluttered, especially since token-making already uses so much space.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GyroNinja posted:

Honorable mention - Entropic, for Thin the Opposition. This is a really cool removal spell that would make for some interesting play decisions in limited. It would be a weird card to print on its own, but I could imagine an environment where it makes a lot of sense.

That's pretty much what I was going for. Taking a stab at the "makes sense in the context of the block" 1B removal spell Black always gets, a la Go For the Throat or Ultimate Price.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Hey, look, two of mine are up there. :v:

GyroNinja posted:

So congratulations to Heatwizard for winning the round!

Oh. Alright! Uh, crap, now I guess I gotta think of something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Heatwizard posted:

Hey, look, two of mine are up there. :v:

Oh. Alright! Uh, crap, now I guess I gotta think of something.

I've found the best contests are the ones where people are restricted in some way (Eight Words Long, Must be a 1/1) that force people to design inside a restriction. That said, if I were picking next week, I'd have it be "Do something that has never been done in Magic before" like Mindslaver, Door to Nothingness or (at the time) Serpent Generator.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Multiplayer cards

Cards built specifically to interact with more than two players. Deadline's Saturday the 15th, 8 P.M. PST.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I love multiplayer cards, which is weird because I'm starting to lose interest in Commander, but anyways the first one's pretty obvious. I'm kind of surprised it isn't floating around when something like Warp World is. The second may need its own keyword. Probably "Conspiracy" or something like that.

I may need to change the wording on both of these because I haven't been able to find the appropriate source material to reference. The second card may also need alterations for graveyard decks, like saying "target opponent" instead of "target player".

EDIT: Taking suggestions on art because I don't even want to bother wading through Deviantart for longer than five minutes.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 8, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Multiplayer, you say?

Akros gets contestants and fighting because of its Iroan Games. A note in MSE for this card just reads POLITICS. Setessa's political side is mostly confined to its Chaos roll but is definitely still there. Scry and then having the ability to gently caress up scry just seemed about right for the blue Theros city. Art is straight out of Adam Paquette's concepts for each polis.

If you don't tell me to stop, I will probably keep making Planes and maybe even start in on Schemes.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 14, 2014

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

A symmetrical mana elf, which hopefully doesn't create any weird timing issues. It's worded like it is because I thought "one mana of any color" would make it ambiguous who chose the color. Flavor text taken from a William Arthur Ward quote.

Here's a card I thought was going to be an original idea, but which turned out to be a symmetrical copy of an existing card called Vigean Intuition, down to the number of cards revealed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm back.

Here's a card, I'll think of more.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Does this exist already? I feel like I might have seen it somewhere but it seems pretty unlikely.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 8, 2014

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eeevil posted:

Does this exist already? I feel like I might have seen it somewhere but it seems pretty unlikely.
To make this rules-friendly (for very limited values of "friendly," but still better than a nebulous un-set line of text), you might try "Target player has shroud, can't cast spells, activate abilities or be attacked until your next turn. Each permanent they control and each aura attached to those permanents phases out until your next turn."

Still allows fiddly interactions such as removing counters from suspended cards on their upkeep, but hits the major ones like attacking, getting bolted, cycling Eternal Dragon, etc etc.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Tharizdun posted:

To make this rules-friendly (for very limited values of "friendly," but still better than a nebulous un-set line of text), you might try "Target player has shroud, can't cast spells, activate abilities or be attacked until your next turn. Each permanent they control and each aura attached to those permanents phases out until your next turn."

Still allows fiddly interactions such as removing counters from suspended cards on their upkeep, but hits the major ones like attacking, getting bolted, cycling Eternal Dragon, etc etc.

My original rules text was "target opponent skips their next turn. That player and all permanents they control gain hexproof and they can't be attacked until the beginning of your next upkeep." That still let you do things like sweep their board or make them discard with Sire of Insanity, though. I didn't want to use phasing since as far as I know it's an obsolete mechanic, although I did take the "treated as though they don't exist" part directly from phasing's reminder text, so I thought it would work basically the same as if the player and all their cards phased out for a turn.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I suppose you could put the explanation in parentheses? It would make it more player-friendly and imply that there are actually rules out there for it (even though there aren't).

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

All right, I tried to add a more thorough description. Is this an improvement?

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Here's a sweeper where you can use different parts on different players, as needed.

The card name I wanted to use, but it was too long: I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Here's a sweeper where you can use different parts on different players, as needed.

Not white. The most important aspect of a white sweeper is that it hits everything, not just stuff your opponents have. White sweepers can have effects that make it so you're not as affected by the sweeper, like Winds of Wrath, but white will never destroy all of anything a single player controls.

• Locked thread