Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I look forward to playing Arkham Knight, mostly due to my side project: determining which member of Rocksteady has the emergency services worker in peril fetish. I've narrowed the list down to 5 people at this point. I think one member of the staff in particular must have a conservative paramedic's outfit in the back of their closet that their wife wears on his birthday, probably replete with running mascara.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

May I point out there all Civilians in Origins? All those hapless fools you save during Crimes in Progress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm really disappointed at the lack of multiplayer. It's rough around the edges, but Origin's multiplayer was a fantastic idea and despite some issues still pretty fun in execution, easily the most entertaining part of Origins to me. I'd have loved to see the new game revisit is and try to iron out some of the problems with it, even if it was SplashDamage developing the multiplayer again.

After seeing someone play in the Batman Arkham Videos, I agree with you.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Toady posted:

It feels contrived to be Batman in Gotham without Gothamites. I haven't played Origins yet, but while the first two Arkhams nailed the experience of being Batman in so many ways, some things missing were meeting Gordon under the Batsignal, dropping down to save civilians from criminals, and so on. I think the political prisoners in Arkham City were an attempt to add that element.

Personally, I think the political prisoners were basically the perfect balance of atmosphere vs. gameplay. Having a GTA style city of civilians doesn't add anything to the Batman experience. They're either going to run away when you engage thugs, or they're going to cower in the scene while you're beating on people. And if they're not cowering, they're potentially getting in the way of our sweet, sicknasty combos. What is this adding to the experience?

I guess it really depends how people are defining it. If it's a matter of "political prisoners were cool, they added a human touch to what you were doing and gave you an opportunity to add in some additional side activities" than, sure, I see the benefit and I'm 100% on board with that. But the impression I'm getting from people is that they are interested in a city that's more akin to a GTA or a Sleeping Dogs. That just seems to be antithetical to the Arkham series' purpose. Maybe it's just me, but the fun of these games is beating on groups of thugs, seeing what sort of nonsense you can wring from the physics engine, and seeing how high you can get your combo meter.

I had one of the Spider-man games on the PS2, and it had that same sort of concept - New York with a lot of civilians and random crimes happening. It was pretty cool at first, but it got boring fairly quickly. There are only so many types of crimes to stop, and the civilian to thug ratio is (naturally) pretty high. I doubt Rocksteady/WB would let you beat on civilians, so in practice what you're doing is diluting your gameplay space with, essentially, non-elements. A big, lifelike city is fine, but in the end it's just that - a boring, normal city. Give me gangs of henchmen that I can wail on.

I don't know why, but the Arkham games didn't get stale to me the same way that Spider-man game did. The combat is always fun. If they can make a Gotham that feels like Gotham without also diluting the current Arkham, than great! If not, than I'd rather have a city that feels a little lifeless that still provided the same sandbox as City/Origins.

I think what I'd be more interested in seeing than civilians, is wandering thugs. Have Two Face's goons fight with Penguin's goons - that sort of thing. Like gang conflicts in GTA or Saint's Row.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I look forward to playing Arkham Knight, mostly due to my side project: determining which member of Rocksteady has the emergency services worker in peril fetish. I've narrowed the list down to 5 people at this point. I think one member of the staff in particular must have a conservative paramedic's outfit in the back of their closet that their wife wears on his birthday, probably replete with running mascara.

:stare:

Well, that's something.

I'm fine with no multiplayer. I didn't even bother in Origins; it's not why I play the Arkham games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
What would be interesting is people who chose not to evacuate, maybe every so often you would see a common blue-collar worker with a ruined shirt or tie joining in the rioting, mixed into thug mobs, succumbing to basic violent impulses and abandoning a life within the system.

Gotham's supposed to be a city full of stuck up rich folk, except the plot of this game sounds like a video-game version of Detroit.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

bunnyofdoom posted:

May I point out there all Civilians in Origins? All those hapless fools you save during Crimes in Progress.

Aren't they like literally, all cops?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

No? I know the guys cowering all by themselves until NINJAS! aren't cops at all.

(probably totally wrong)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 5, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

I, Butthole posted:

-Cops getting beat on and outnumbered by thugs.
-Thugs getting beat on and outnumbered by corrupt cops.
-Ninja surprise.
-Turf war rumble (either gang on gang or gang vs corrupt cops).

No civilians are fine, I just wish there was a more traditional open world aspect. Like even make it so they only appear in the daytime and you play as Bruce Wayne instead and it's a more traditional GTA-clone and then night time is mostly deserted streets, criminals roaming around and more like an Arkham City-like situation.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Excels posted:

Gotham's supposed to be a city full of stuck up rich folk, except the plot of this game sounds like a video-game version of Detroit.

Eh. Metropolis has always been full of the stuck up rich folk.

Gotham has them, but most of them left the city proper and left the poor people behind to live in the ghettos.

Wait that is Detroit, you might be onto something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sober posted:

Like even make it so they only appear in the daytime and you play as Bruce Wayne instead and it's a more traditional GTA-clone and then night time is mostly deserted streets, criminals roaming around and more like an Arkham City-like situation.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A VENDETTA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Chasiubao posted:

:stare:

Well, that's something.

I'm sorry, it sounds bizarre without context- let's see if more information makes it a bit less creepy. Rocksteady's only game before the Arkham series was Urban Chaos: Riot Response, a game which included a number of optional and mandatory objectives where you rescue paramedics, police officers and firefighters from a mask-wearing criminal gang. Their outfits are in some cases identical to the ones worn by various hostages in the Rocksteady-developed Arkham games. It's particularly noticeable since the outfits are different in Origins. Someone at the studio finds this recurring trope, with identical outfits, either amusing or arousing. I'm confident we'll see some fairly shoehorned doctor-and-EMT rescuery in Arkham Knight, even if the city is supposed to be evacuated. If it's not there, I'm going to check the credits to see who left the team between City and Knight, yet had been there from the beginning- then I'll have my man.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm sorry, it sounds bizarre without context- let's see if more information makes it a bit less creepy. Rocksteady's only game before the Arkham series was Urban Chaos: Riot Response, a game which included a number of optional and mandatory objectives where you rescue paramedics, police officers and firefighters from a mask-wearing criminal gang. Their outfits are in some cases identical to the ones worn by various hostages in the Rocksteady-developed Arkham games. It's particularly noticeable since the outfits are different in Origins. Someone at the studio finds this recurring trope, with identical outfits, either amusing or arousing. I'm confident we'll see some fairly shoehorned doctor-and-EMT rescuery in Arkham Knight, even if the city is supposed to be evacuated. If it's not there, I'm going to check the credits to see who left the team between City and Knight, yet had been there from the beginning- then I'll have my man.

Even in context this is bizarre.

Interesting...but pretty bizarre.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Have some photos: http://imgur.com/a/W9h0p#MeUqfE9

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Sweet jesus that looks good. At first I thought it looked a bit like concept but nope those are screens.

Well a few of them.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 5, 2014

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
Hmmm... Are these Tyger guards? http://i.imgur.com/AsgdxE0.jpg

The body armor and the little Arkham diamond make me think so. I wonder if they're tangled up with the titular Arkham Knight? Maybe some last initiative of Strange's, a failsafe in case for ~some reason~ the immortal radical terrorist warlord betrayed him?

I dunno why I care, the plot's gonna be the least interesting part of this game. Still hoping for further inclusion of the Bat-family too...

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
drat, that batsuit is ballin'. It's a nice medium between the jumpsuit from City and the heavy armor from Origins.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is terrifying. Batmanarkhamvideos is quoting the article, saying that one character has as many polys as the entire environment in AA. I'm not going to be able to run this on any computer I'll have access to for ten years. Here's hoping the riddler challenges and riddles are actually difficult this time around.

I think the next-to-last image is the Arkham Knight. Still not sure how I feel about a new "evil batman" character, given how many of them there already are.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oh man, every press release about Arkham Knight needs to have 'ROCKSTEADY DEVELOPING BATMAN AGAIN' or at least 'ORIGINAL DEVELOPER RETURNS'. I was initially uninterested in AK until I found out Rocksteady was back.

Arkham Origins is probably the low point in the series for me. Not that it was a bad game, but the huge amount of bugs and general re-hashy feel of the game really turned me off it

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Seems the trailer is definitely hitting notes from "Nothing to Fear" back in the animated series. Bats gets fear gassed, and spends the episode having panic attacks about being a disgrace in the eyes of his father before finally shaking it off with the single coolest line of dialogue in Batman's 70+ year history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDppQN0s4DQ

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think those guys will be TYGER, since they were all hypnotized by Strange. The fact that they have Arkham logos definitely makes me think that they're with the Arkham Knight, though.

I just hope to god that the Arkham Knight isn't the Joker.

Wouldn't it be something if it was a revived Talia, though? :allears:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think those guys will be TYGER, since they were all hypnotized by Strange. The fact that they have Arkham logos definitely makes me think that they're with the Arkham Knight, though.

I just hope to god that the Arkham Knight isn't the Joker.

Wouldn't it be something if it was a revived Talia, though? :allears:

R'as in Talia's body.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Prometheus maybe.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ra's, in Talia's body, imitated by Clayface, who is actually a delusional Hugo Strange, possessed by Thomas Wayne, but it was the Joker all along!

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Discendo Vox posted:

Ra's, in Talia's body, imitated by Clayface, who is actually a delusional Hugo Strange, possessed by Thomas Wayne, but it was the Joker all along!

Hey SD Perry I just wanna say I didn't know you were a goon but I really liked your Resident Evil novelizations.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Quick, has this actually happened in the Batman comics, anyone

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That might just be the most perfect take on the style of a modern armored batsuit yet.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
I redid the audio to the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oyIm9mfH24

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

thank you

seriously thank you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Huge wealth of information here. Too much to copy/paste it all:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/452194/batman-arkham-knight-detailed-batmobile-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more

The PC version is going to be insane...they're truly making this for the new consoles.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 5, 2014

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
If Scarecrow is the main villain, I hope that the Arkham Knight is some hosed up hallucination made real that kinda looks like how the Joker viewed Batman in Origins.

It would be cool to have boss fights that work like predator rooms, except your opponent has the same abilities you do, instead of just being a takedown sponge like Mr. Freeze or just a normal room that respawns everyone every couple of minutes.

It would be a pretty decent reason for all the villains to be teaming up, as well.

It sounds like something entirely different, though.

Segway Rave fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 5, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I just want Batman to punch the bad guys in new and exciting ways and then strike a pose like he doesn't even give a gently caress.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

Prometheus maybe.

I think it's supposed to be a new character. But if it's not, I'd love to see him in this.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

ThermoPhysical posted:

Huge wealth of information here. Too much to copy/paste it all:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/452194/batman-arkham-knight-detailed-batmobile-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more

The PC version is going to be insane...they're truly making this for the new consoles.

That sounds great! Arkham City was used for quite awhile to test graphics cards and benchmark, so I'm glad they're really pulling out all the stops with the visuals.

I also think it would be cool to see Prometheus in game, but if the Arkham Knight is a brand new character then it's pretty safe to say they aren't the same person.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

To get a good idea of a PC port of a true PS4/XONE game, what's one that only released recently on those 3 platforms? Trying to see if I could run this thing or not. :v:

I can run all previous Arkham games so maybe?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I reckon the Arkham Knight is what the player character does when the game's turned off. Kind of like a Zur En Arhh thing.

Oh who are we kidding it's going to be the Joker.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Arkham Knight is going to be Hush until he gets his face pushed in, then Azrael puts the suit on and then eats poo poo as well and then the Joker comes back to life because we might as well run that joke into the ground before finding out it was all a hallucination to begin with.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Looks like I have the excuse to upgrade my graphics card I've been looking for. I'm also glad to see from that link above:

quote:

The classic counter system also returns. Rocksteady doesn't want to overcomplicate it as it thinks the strength is in the simplicity
I never really got used to Origins' timing system, and I didn't really want to because I didn't want to overwrite my muscle memory from the previous games. It's bad enough that Origins doesn't recognize any mouse buttons above three, which has led to me always messing up my grapple now because my reflexes forget which game I'm in.

Also, since this is the culmination of the Arkham story line, I'm calling it now, Arkham Knight will be Quincy Sharp. The concept art of Arkham Knight as a big muscular guy is a red herring, he'll actually still be a little fat guy in ill-fitting armor, like the guys at the beginning of Nolan's The Dark Knight.

Also, it'll turn out Quincy Sharp has been The Joker all along.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So I was doing some thinking.. how come Harley doesn't have her tattoos in the trailer? She had a pretty obvious one on her upper right in City :

And this is the best still I've seen of her from the Arkham Knight trailer, and you should be able to see her tattoo even with that sleeve :

So is there direct confirmation of this being a sequel to City, or are the devs just lazy? Or am I just dumb and missed something?

Skoll fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

It's just a cg trailer, can't expect it to bee 100% consistent between cg models and ingame assets.

• Locked thread