Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The same goes for that pink piece of garbage above, but replace "designer" with "custom car builder"

The pink thing, I'd be willing to imagine, is more a case of "Frank dumped $100,000 into this thing and then died, I'm sure I can recoup at least $50,000." The Lexus was designed and executed by professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Well I guess that's one way of hiding front overhang.

I would be fine with Lexus selling a completely unmodified version of that concept as long as they also sold the unmodified concept Supra.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

xzzy posted:

They built at least one. :ssh:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1086859_lexus-lf-nx-concept-live-photos-2013-frankfurt-auto-show

Their website lists it as "coming soon" as well, though given how the automobile industry loves to abuse words that could mean literally anything.

It looks even worse in real pictures. How did they make it look worse than that god awful render?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's literally the antagonist from a Pixar film.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

xzzy posted:

They built at least one. :ssh:

Oh drat, didn't realize it was already doing the rounds and yeah, it's worse in the flesh. I shouldn't really be surprised, just look at the other poo poo they are hawking these days... http://www.salon-auto.ch/en/photos/?brand=2232

Seriously everyone should click that link and at least look at the pre-hellaflushed IS with the most bobo bolt-in rollcage. I'd post pics myself but I'm running out of room on imgur.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll have you know they used the very best trampoline frame to build that cage. The option wouldn't cost $10K otherwise.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

It just wants to be fed pedestrians....

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

I'll have you know they used the very best trampoline frame to build that cage. The option wouldn't cost $10K otherwise.

I think it might be a CGI cage, actually. It's hard to tell, that entire picture has been post processed to hell.

Probably just wishful thinking.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well if we're going down this road...

:saddowns:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoAD3kUmN9s

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Well if we're going down this road...

:saddowns:

The car looks like it's sagging its jeans and it poo poo its pants at the same time.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I was at the Flying J last night and saw this:

It's just a panel truck bumper pulling a school bus to Mexico.... but what is that thing sticking out of the back?

Oh for the love of God you have to be kidding me...

I wonder if the guy that drove it in there is still stuck inside?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nah, just climb out the rear hatch.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yet again Lexus has managed to crash a car even before they've taken pictures of it for the concept render. You'd think they'd get tired of having their stuff ruined like that...

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Citycop posted:

It's just a panel truck bumper pulling a school bus to Mexico.... but what is that thing sticking out of the back?

There's two Geo Metros in front of the Isuzu.

Also the chain/strap/wire/cardboard? towing apparatus :stare:

e: figured it out the cardboard is to keep the straps from fraying on the rusty bumper. genius.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Citycop posted:

Efficiency is art.

Also that new Lexus is horrid! I actually liked the other ones up until this one. That's just crazy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Citycop posted:

I can only assume this must be terrifying to drive.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I laughed pretty hard at the cop car getting pushed off the ledge. It explodes as it starts to fall off, awesome.

What's with the huge grill on everything "high end" lately? Even aside from the comedic Lexus one, they have all been moving to that, and I don't find it all that appealing. I guess it's a way to shove more chrome on the car or something?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Citycop posted:

So if a cop saw this, he'd pull the whole mess over, right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

subx posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the cop car getting pushed off the ledge. It explodes as it starts to fall off, awesome.

What's with the huge grill on everything "high end" lately? Even aside from the comedic Lexus one, they have all been moving to that, and I don't find it all that appealing. I guess it's a way to shove more chrome on the car or something?

I heard it might have something to do with pedestrian impact standards in Europe.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Citycop posted:

At least SUV is properly tied down and not rolling about in the trailer with only the door keeping it in the... oh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkE029a8bys&t=156s

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

subx posted:

It masks the front end getting taller and flatter for pedestrian safety. Also the hot thing is to use fancy elements to shrink the headlights (see: that Lex) and you've got to do something with the freed up space other than just a big flat surface.

I'm sure ostensibly someone somewhere thinks "big grill conveys more power" but I don't think most people buy it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Edward IV posted:

At least SUV is properly tied down and not rolling about in the trailer with only the door keeping it in the... oh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkE029a8bys&t=156s

Argh, I just noticed that the truck pulls off even though they show him "continuing on". I mean, I know TG is scripted, but I never saw that before, now I can't unsee it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

subx posted:

Maybe it's a style following form thing? Super cars have the huge grills to take advantage of the airflow for cooling so lesser cars imitate it with non functional huge grills as a nod towards the high end performance cars? It's another thing to differentiate the higher end models from those meant for the proles?

Personally I'm ok with the big grills for the most part, I just hate everything else about the Lexus.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Super cars have the huge grills

Ferrari 458 Italia

Lamborghini Aventador

Bugatti Veyron

All huge grills.

Okay, let's go with front-engine cars:

Corvette ZR1

Dodge Viper

Gigantic front grills.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

DropShadow posted:

So if a cop saw this, he'd pull the whole mess over, right?

And do what with it? Options:

- Cite an undocumented person with no identification for a class c traffic and summon him to court in a random city in Texas then allow them to continue down the road. (What did I accomplish? Did they even give me a correct name?)
- Demand that they fix it all and make it safe on the side of the road. (Is that even possible? How many hours is that going to take?)
- Impound the whole mess and make them pay to get it out. (They most likely cannot prove ownership of it and do not have proper insurance papers AND they don't speak English so they are going to have a bad day getting it back on the road.)
- Leave it alone and hope it makes it out of your jurisdiction before something bad happens.

I'm listening if you have any better solutions. (I really am, I see these car trains all the time.)

Cadillac is moving to big grills soon too, as evidenced by this new concept car:

Citycop fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 5, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Safety Dance posted:

Gigantic front grills.

My bad, for some reason I was remember them having bigger intakes on the front, I might have had these more on my mind when I posted that

Thing is, even some of the ones you used as examples are physically big (The lambo, buggati, and viper all have a relatively large portion of their front ends as air intake) it's styled in a way that makes it looks nice and fits the cars. Some of the huge grills you see on new cars (again looking at you lexus) look like they're tacked on and hiding some flaws with the body design, as mentioned earlier in the thread, rather than flowing in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Awww, her mascara is running :smith:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle ShortyB posted:

I saw this on my way in to class the other morning.

The dude drat near smacked into the car in the turn lane next to me. Managed to miss him by about a foot though. This next car was in the parking lot of this little strip mall that has a store I frequent. Pretty sure it's the right thread for this.

I didn't manage to get a picture of the dude driving this thing, but I did manage to get a closeup of the real wheels that doesn't really show how bent they are. The tops of the wheels were bent like, 30 degrees towards the inside of the car. Made me cringe a little bit.

This is pages back but I just caught up and I want to fight you

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That lexus concept is nothing compared to the ugliness of the latest Lincoln SUVs. These are cars on the road right now that people actually buy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

8ender posted:

That lexus concept is nothing compared to the ugliness of the latest Lincoln SUVs. These are cars on the road right now that people actually buy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

8ender posted:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Citycop posted:

Cadillac is moving to big grills soon too, as evidenced by this new concept car:

In case the youth don't know the reference

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Gigantic front grills.

Here's problems with the supercar theory:

- With the exception of the Bugatti and the Audi, all of those huge grills are below the bumper line, meaning if you're over four feet tall and not lying on the ground to take a glamor shot, you won't see them.

- Again excepting Bugatti, those are short and wide. It's the height that most people find offensive. Tall grills don't look like short wide grills, the ratios are all wrong.

- The Audi wears a corporate grill that was on the regular cars first, not vice versa. One could say the same of the Vipers.

- The Bugatti tombstone is supposed to be a throwback to their classic cars

- I've never heard anyone say the Bugatti 'looks good'

If anything, the supercars (especially the Lambo) are styled to look like jet fighters, and that definitely doesn't carry over to mainstream cars.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

8ender posted:

That's still mostly inoffensive and a million times less fugly that that loving Lexus though. The NX looks like something out of a 90s film about 'the future'.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Snowdens Secret posted:

If anything, the supercars (especially the Lambo) are styled to look like jet fighters, and that definitely doesn't carry over to mainstream cars.

Says you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3woO0AbCw

:smug:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

8ender posted:

Are there any crossovers that look even ok?

That said I do quite like that body line that follows up the edge of the headlights and forms a shoulderline. Certainly less offensive than say the entire Mazda lineup at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So we all agree that the QX56 is an abomination, right? Well I discovered this morning that they have the most useless rear wiper that I've ever loving seen:

Like a tiny rainbow of stupid.