Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Is it me, or is the AI in the Ornstein and Smough fight completely hosed?

Like, half the time, you can slowly back away from them and they'll just follow you for minutes at a time without attacking. And then when one of them does attack, it's just a normal swing at nothing instead of anything to close the distance like a charging attack or one of Ornstein's ranged blasts.

But then the other half of the time, they'll be perfectly competent and extremely aggressive.

I've also experienced O&S having a case of the mondays but I'm willing to chalk it up to luck. One thing that has definitely happened to me though is Super Ornstein completely breaking and cancelling attack animations into other animations without actually stopping the first move. So you not only have the moves he actually decides to follow through with to handle, but the invisible still-active hurtboxes of the moves he cancelled out of, which I probably don't need to tell you is bullshit. This one seems to happen if he gets hung-up on top of a broken pillar for some reason, he'll fall off during an attack and you will now have visible Ornstein and his quantum twin attacking you from beyond the pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minster
Mar 4, 2014

Right, right.
Awesome post OP!

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Hate to ask, but could anyone lend a hand with NG+ Four Kings at around SL60? The build I have for it isn't really ideal (Black Knight build with not much in Vitality), but this build is only missing a handful of the weapons I need for the Knight's Honour trophy.

v Oh, my bad - PS3.

e: disregard this bad post

zonar fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 5, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Allan Assiduity posted:

Hate to ask, but could anyone lend a hand with NG+ Four Kings at around SL60? The build I have for it isn't really ideal (Black Knight build with not much in Vitality), but this build is only missing a handful of the weapons I need for the Knight's Honour trophy.

Just sayin, you should probably mention what system you're on.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
What's the best way for dealing with sorcerors in PvP? As soon as someone casts homing crystal soulmass, I know that this is a fight that I am going to lose.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Do a barrel roll? Or barring that, whip out your Crest Shield +5.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Stargate posted:

What's the best way for dealing with sorcerors in PvP? As soon as someone casts homing crystal soulmass, I know that this is a fight that I am going to lose.

You are most likely to be able to dodge though them by rolling forward, but if you don't have a feel for the lag yet, as in it's basically the very first thing they do, it can sometimes be difficult/bullshit. fight somewhere with stuff you can move behind as well, if possible.

its usually okay to block soulmass, but i dont recommend trying to block a css with anything less than havel's or stone shield as it will still do a ton of damage and stamina.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Stargate posted:

Just get the invader to come to you and learn how to dodge it. Once you learn how to dodge everything, a lot of magic becomes useless. As for Dark magic, I think your best bet is to use the Silver Pendant. It catches a lot of people off guard because no one ever uses it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Just get the invader to come to you and learn how to dodge it. Once you learn how to dodge everything, a lot of magic becomes useless. As for Dark magic, I think your best bet is to use the Silver Pendant. It catches a lot of people off guard because no one ever uses it.

This is the worst advice. No one uses it because it only blocks dark magic, and doesn't even do a good job of it. Timed correctly, you can push the pursuer blob behind you with the pendant, only to have them hit you from behind. It's also really easy for someone to just hit you with a crystal spear if you start spamming it.

Stick with rolling. Once you get the timing down you'll almost never get hit again.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

EC posted:

This is the worst advice. No one uses it because it only blocks dark magic, and doesn't even do a good job of it. Timed correctly, you can push the pursuer blob behind you with the pendant, only to have them hit you from behind. It's also really easy for someone to just hit you with a crystal spear if you start spamming it.

Stick with rolling. Once you get the timing down you'll almost never get hit again.
It's worked for me plenty of times. I've never even had problems with pursuers hitting from behind either. Maybe it's dumb luck but the only draw back I see with the pendant is that you freeze into that stance while doing it.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Stargate posted:

Strong Magic Shield is your friend here :angel:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Concurred posted:

Strong Magic Shield is your friend here :angel:

No it isn't. All it does is increase stability, and the issue with magic is not the stability damage, but the damage that bleeds through shields, even the Crest Shield to an extent.

The best way to deal with magic is to just learn to dodge it. It's not even that hard in 95% of cases since most people that do use it don't know how to gently caress with the tracking.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Genocyber posted:

No it isn't. All it does is increase stability, and the issue with magic is not the stability damage, but the damage that bleeds through shields, even the Crest Shield to an extent.

The best way to deal with magic is to just learn to dodge it. It's not even that hard in 95% of cases since most people that do use it don't know how to gently caress with the tracking.

What? Strong Magic Shield will let you block Pursuers or Homing Crystal Soulmass or Crystal Soul Spear with no damage going through or stamina loss

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Concurred posted:

What? Strong Magic Shield will let you block Pursuers or Homing Crystal Soulmass or Crystal Soul Spear with no damage going through or stamina loss

Ah right, it's magic shield that only increases stability. Still not worth it since you have to have a catalyst in your right hand, it only lasts 15 seconds, and rolling through it is overall the better option.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Ah right, it's magic shield that only increases stability. Still not worth it since you have to have a catalyst in your right hand, it only lasts 15 seconds, and rolling through it is overall the better option.

I think it's worth it just to gently caress with the "meta" of invaders. Most people know that you're going to dodge so I need to circle over here to backstab you when you're done dodging, then recast while you're getting up and then wait what? You blocked it? Uuuuuhhhhh Dark Bead forever! Wait it's not working waaaahhh

Yes yes, many invaders are smarter than that and just wait it out, flip away and recast to do it again/use different (backstabbing) tactics/whatever. But it's still fun to do something different every now and again.

(Wrath's still annoying and needs to be rolled through because it's piss easy to dead angle, but eh.)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
GMB cooler than Strong Magic Shield. You get to look like Stay Puft and still attack people with the defense buff. It also doesn't disappear in a pathetic amount of time.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
In PvE I keep a dark hand handy for blocking magic if I'm having a problem, as It has a fairly high magic block with little weight added. Of course, it has terrible stability but it works in a pinch without adding weight, But Geno's right, rolling is a much better idea.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

What level are people usually for O&S? Playing this for the first time on PS3 after logging 150+ hours on PC, and since I can actually do co-op and invading I've been doing it non-stop, but I don't want to outlevel Anor Londo

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I have seen people who are smart about following up their pursuers/hcsm like maybe 4 times. And even then you can screw them up by dodging backwards. If somebody's around 120 with an Oolacile catalyst and using dark bead they might be a pro with a plan but generally just avoiding or backstabbing works fine. Greater magic shield's probably a bigger gently caress-you though.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Concurred posted:

What level are people usually for O&S? Playing this for the first time on PS3 after logging 150+ hours on PC, and since I can actually do co-op and invading I've been doing it non-stop, but I don't want to outlevel Anor Londo
40+ should get you hits from NG to NG+ (etc). Around 40-50ish is the usual for NG.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If I block magic I prefer to do so on a build that can use Havel's Shield. Block their magic, use buff, then when they try to r1 spam you with something laugh as they bounce off of you and pancake them.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Concurred posted:

40-60 is the general range of levels for players, but you can get nibbles even at higher levels. I get a non-stop of invasions in AL at SL60 and saw a fair amount of summon signs when I was looking for them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Why does the curse meter keep filling up during your death animation? Why can you be cursed after you've already died?

SIGH

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Why does the curse meter keep filling up during your death animation? Why can you be cursed after you've already died?

SIGH

You can't be. If the curse bar is filled after you've died it does nothing.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Genocyber posted:

It literally just happened. Must be a weird bug or something.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, I'm fairly certain any status bar will still build up and proc when you're dead if you hang around long enough. I've definitely seen blood loss happen, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen curse happen. It's just that Curse is the only one that will actually have an effect on you because blood loss and poison just deal damage to your already depleted health bar, whereas Curse changes your character's status.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have definitely had hollow thieves rabidly swinging at the air above my dying dude while blood explodes out of me over and over. Curse, no idea, but bleed for sure keeps happening long after it's useful in battle. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've been cursed after death and the curse has never been applied to me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Maybe you're a curse wizard.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thanks for the recommendations on picking up the DLC. I keep dying repeatedly to Artorias but the whole area has been fun so far. It's nice seeing an environment that contrasts so much with the normal world (at least to this point). This new Dark Souls content (it's new to me!) makes me even more pumped for DaS2 next week.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I've been cursed after dying in the unwinnable Seath fight. It can definitely happen.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HaB posted:

Yeah I've been cursed after dying in the unwinnable Seath fight. It can definitely happen.

Never happened to me. :shrug:

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Genocyber posted:

Has happened to me. :shrug:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

HaB posted:

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I've had it happen, too. Specifically after dying in the crystals during the first Seath fight.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I can't beat stupid Nito :(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ details on your build & weapons? The usual tactic for me is to run straight at him and circle him, mostly avoiding the skeletons. When he puffs up to detonate, raise your crest shield, hope your wolf ring gives you the poise to tank the hit, then beat the hell out of him from behind while the skeletons are knocked down. rinse and repeat.

HaB posted:

Happened to me first time I visited the depths. Which was in NG+ because I used the drakes shortcut on my first playthrough.

"Hey what are these two frogs doing, they're pretty c- OH GOD MY FACE, MY POOR FACE"

Got leapt at, had no stamina, died to the first basilisk while the second was puffing up.

Came back at the bonfire cursed, but still had a purging stone from Seath's pet clams.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mons Hubris posted:

I can't beat stupid Nito :(

If you're having trouble with the adds, consider that Nito is basically THE necromancer and respond accordingly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like to play super defensive and let Nito kill the adds himself. His big AOEs will friendly fire and clear the room for you, and then you can poke him between attacks.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 5, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

armoredgorilla posted:

If you're having trouble with the adds, consider that Nito is basically THE necromancer and respond accordingly.

Yeah I had to teleport out and I'm trying to build up a divine Man-Serpent Greatsword to take out the little skeletons now. All I had before was a divine morning star that does nowhere near enough damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
If you hang back where you land and wait for Nito to come to you, you just have to deal with the little skeletons, the giant ones don't come over to see what the fuss is.

• Locked thread