Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Badfinger posted:

Everything about this list depresses me.

It confuses me more than depresses me.

How are reruns of Family Guy and American Dad the highest rated cable shows?

Also NBC should just give up on new shows and run Friends and Seinfeld reruns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Yeah, he was VERY terrible for the Fedor vs Rogers fight. He kept trying to make it into a human interest story about Rogers instead of just calling the loving fight.

I don't watch fighting much so I have no opinion on Gus Johnson, but I strongly doubt that he just decided on his own to push a human interest angle. Seems like a problem with the broadcaster.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

I don't watch fighting much so I have no opinion on Gus Johnson, but I strongly doubt that he just decided on his own to push a human interest angle. Seems like a problem with the broadcaster.

Yeah people blame him for a lot of stuff that was on the network. Like pushing Kimbo hardcore was because CBS was building their MMA coverage around him and wanted to make him a star.

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

I suggest you all watch a European broadcast of the NFL sometime, it is loving hilarious the amount of punditry during games. It seriously made me miss commercials.

It owns. It's always like a generically good looking British guy who has clearly only been watching for a few weeks, an obligatory British analyst with dubious qualifications, and obscure America small college coach or former player who is terrible on TV but somehow got a job analyzing football overseas. I want to parlay my few months of college football into being a British NFL or college football analyst so bad.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

It owns. It's always like a generically good looking British guy who has clearly only been watching for a few weeks, an obligatory British analyst with dubious qualifications, and obscure America small college coach or former player who is terrible on TV but somehow got a job analyzing football overseas. I want to parlay my few months of college football into being a British NFL or college football analyst so bad.

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on one of those broadcasts, and it was pretty :psyduck:. Like, he's Mike Holmgren, surely the name alone should be enough to get him an American TV gig somewhere. Was Sky Sports the only network that returned his calls?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Pittsburgh goons.

How the hell does Mark Madden have a job?

Was driving home from Pittsburgh for a job interview, and this guy is simply an rear end.

He kept doing some poor man's Jim Rome schtick re: NASCAR Racing, and called it a "bunch of rednecks driving around in circles"

The proceed to claim that said race was "Fixed". (awfully big allegations made by someone who I recall reading started his career covering pro wrestling).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Mark Madden is yet another symptom of media conglomerates realizing that they can get listeners easier by being lazily "controversial" than presenting a quality product.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think it's mostly that people with decent opinions on sports generally don't seem to listen to sports talk radio, so the ratings are largely driven by the morons who think like Mark Madden.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think it's mostly that people with decent opinions on sports generally don't seem to listen to sports talk radio, so the ratings are largely driven by the morons who think like Mark Madden.

He was kind of saying some borderline homophobic comments about Michael Sam while I was listening.

The other Pittsburgh station wasn't terrible. (the CBS Sports based one). They were actually talking about Hockey...which was an interesting listen for someone from out of town.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sash! posted:

It confuses me more than depresses me.

How are reruns of Family Guy and American Dad the highest rated cable shows?
How many cable shows can you name that premiere on Thursday nights? I can only name Impractical Jokers.

Adult Swim is like exploding in ratings right now which is why they're expanding another hour and I wouldn't be surprised if they split off to another network in the next couple of years.

That said, there's only one show that's bested top sports events on cable and that's The Walking Dead, although I've heard Duck Dynasty has come close. Yeah, meditate on that one for a while.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was never even sure when he was on. Seemed like...always. I'd be casually driving somewhere, listening to QED until it was pledge drive time, so switch over to the X, and the next thing I know the SUPERGENIUS is wheezing into the mic like his obesity has finally caught up to him because he doesn't know how to use the mute button when whoever he's interviewing is talking.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I remember the first time I came home for the summer and suddenly my favorite radio channel was just 24/7 Mark Madden. That was annoying.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is a bit rich coming from you of all people. You have no decent opinions and you dont listen to sports radio. In fact I think internet nerds in general have the worst sports opinions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

This is a bit rich coming from you of all people. You have no decent opinions and you dont listen to sports radio. In fact I think internet nerds in general have the worst sports opinions.

I would venture to guess there's a significantly large overlap in the internet sports chat trolls and sports talk radio callers venn diagram.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would venture to guess there's a significantly large overlap in the internet sports chat trolls and sports talk radio callers venn diagram.

You having a go m8?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
are you seriously white knighting sports talk radio

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

MourningView posted:

are you seriously white knighting sports talk radio

No. I just dont like sportsgenius86.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Definitely relevant to the topic of sports broadcasting, thank you for contributing.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
While certain posters may be complete retards, we can all agree that All Soccer Fans Are Hooligans :colbert: I learned this from ESPN, ergo it is about broadcasting.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Fine for content:

Sports radio is actually only good for listening to fans whinge about how shite their team is. I don't think sports radio is inherently wrong or bad. In fact one of the best radio shows in general is the Dan Patrick show. Always funny, always relevant and always willing to talk on more than the token talking points.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Pittsburgh goons.

Was driving home from Pittsburgh for a job interview, and this guy is simply an rear end.

He kept doing some poor man's Jim Rome schtick re: NASCAR Racing, and called it a "bunch of rednecks driving around in circles"

The proceed to claim that said race was "Fixed". (awfully big allegations made by someone who I recall reading started his career covering pro wrestling).

Mostly because of folks like my dad who:
A. Drive for a living during his hours.
B. Like sports enough to form opinions but not read about it.
C. Think that WDVE doesn't have a good music lineup and instead listen to WXDX.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

C. Think that WDVE doesn't have a good music lineup and instead listen to WXDX.

I thought it was against the law to live within 90 miles of Pittsburgh and not have at least one of your car presets set to DVE

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I thought it was against the law to live within 90 miles of Pittsburgh and not have at least one of your car presets set to DVE

The only thing I know about WDVE, is that they were the ones behind "Action League Now!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEnonxpsyI

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I turned on Sportscenter to see if they're mentioning anything about Kurt Busch doing the double, because..it's kind of a big deal in auto racing terms

Holy hell, I turned it on and they had Stephen A. Smith and Tim Legler screaming at each other over who the NBA MVP should be.

Jesus.

Do people really give that much of a poo poo about this? Am I that out of touch?

Thank god I watch Dan Patrick show and other alternatives over this garbage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Much more than they give a poo poo about loving NASCAR, yes.

I swear to god at least a third of the posts in this thread are you complaining about them not covering cars driving in circles enough.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

I swear to god at least a third of the posts in this thread are you complaining about them not covering cars driving in circles enough.

No, no.

I'm not upset about the lack of coverage. I understand that. That's expecting too much and that wasn't the point of my post. (I was actually trying to give myself a legitimate reason to tune in because I know for a fact it was going to be awful).

The point was how awful the segment was.

I think the NBA is definitely worthy of coverage. I didn't mean to slight the association, and there are stories from there.

But it's rather amazing how they have segments like that.

The sport is irrelevant in this case, it's more criticizing how bad the television is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SportsCenter for 10+ years now has been less about any sort of sports news and more about arguments and "embrace debate" and hot takes and all that poo poo.

It sucks, yeah, but it's nothing new.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It will probably get coverage tonight. Not enough people give a drat about it that they're going to rewrite a rundown for it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All televised analysis of sports is utter garbage, especially ESPN, but any and all debates about MVPs in any sport are completely boring and worthless and hijack sports discussion on every platform. Here's my ranking of the most irritating MVP sports arguments:

3. Football: A sport so obsessed with specialization where asking a guy to move over a slot on the line can be an impossible task has made everybody's life easier by just naming the best quarterback the MVP and we're all ok with it.

2. Baseball: Every year, people are going to produce reams of evidence and arguments with advanced metrics that clearly show that one guy is way better than another and internet baseball people will tear each other apart about measuring fielding and baserunning and pitch framing and in the end it's just going to go to the guy with the most RBIs.

1. NBA. This is by far the worst because for some reason, every discussion over the all-star break is about who the MVP is. Who is the best basketball player? It is still LeBron James. It has been LeBron for some time and will be him for the conceivable future, except for the year that Derrick Rose won when everyone could see that, by EVERY OBJECTIVE MEASURE AND SOME NOT YET INVENTED DERRICK ROSE WAS BY FAR THE SUPERIOR PLAYER. Despite Bill Simmons's efforts to change this, basketball is not an individual sport that can be reduced to one-on-one battles to determine who wants it more, but for some reason the MVP debate continues to be dominate MVP consideration when it's more important to determine who the coolest basketball player is and that is Ronnie Turiaf.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Actually it is Kevin Durant now, let's argue about it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Actually it is Kevin Durant now, let's argue about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

R.D. Mangles posted:

1. NBA. This is by far the worst because for some reason, every discussion over the all-star break is about who the MVP is. Who is the best basketball player? It is still LeBron James. It has been LeBron for some time and will be him for the conceivable future, except for the year that Derrick Rose won when everyone could see that, by EVERY OBJECTIVE MEASURE AND SOME NOT YET INVENTED DERRICK ROSE WAS BY FAR THE SUPERIOR PLAYER. Despite Bill Simmons's efforts to change this, basketball is not an individual sport that can be reduced to one-on-one battles to determine who wants it more, but for some reason the MVP debate continues to be dominate MVP consideration when it's more important to determine who the coolest basketball player is and that is Ronnie Turiaf.

In that year it was LeBron James, too. In this year it should probably end up being LeBron James, because he is the best basketball player in the world. Durant is awfully good this year though, so he will win the MVP because everyone would die of boredom and spite if the best player in the NBA, LeBron James, won the MVP every year.

If you ask "Is LeBron James the league MVP?" the default answer is yes until he gets old and breaks down. But that's boring so let's yell.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

It will probably get coverage tonight. Not enough people give a drat about it that they're going to rewrite a rundown for it.

It was more so curiosity to see if the story was big enough or not.

Like, if they ignored it, I'm fine with it because it means it wasn't a big story. (turns out they are about to cover it in a few moments).

But really the post was just to see how ridiculous the segment I viewed actually was. Like...you're having a screaming match over a fairly irrelevant topic in sports.

I could understand if this was something related to concussions, gay athletes or something of that nature.

If you're getting worked up about the topic of MVP....what in the gently caress?

Also great post R.D. Mangles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Badfinger posted:

In that year it was LeBron James, too. In this year it should probably end up being LeBron James, because he is the best basketball player in the world. Durant is awfully good this year though, so he will win the MVP because everyone would die of boredom and spite if the best player in the NBA, LeBron James, won the MVP every year.

If you ask "Is LeBron James the league MVP?" the default answer is yes until he gets old and breaks down. But that's boring so let's yell.

Durant winning this year would not just be a case of people being bored with LeBron.

I mean people yelling on ESPN in general is really dumb, but debating the MVP award isn't inherently dumb or wrong. It's the most prestigious individual award in the sport. Of course people who follow basketball care.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MourningView posted:

Durant winning this year would not just be a case of people being bored with LeBron.

I mean people yelling on ESPN in general is really dumb, but debating the MVP award isn't inherently dumb or wrong. It's the most prestigious individual award in the sport. Of course people who follow basketball care.

Oh no, Durant would be a totally legit and non-spite pick for NBA. I understand and appreciate that. I am just pointing out if you gave out the MVP to LeBron James before the season started, by the end of the season you would be correct to have done so much more often than not.

The thing about Sports TV "debate" is it is all about yelling because apparently other types of discussion ARE boring on TV.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ESPN is resorting to loud debate type shows because people can get their sports highlights from the internet and have instant access to scores when they happen, so the network has to do something before they slowly bleed out of viewers inbetween the live events. They basically just converted the network into a visual radio station, and in fact a lot of their programming IS radio shows that are simulcast on ESPN/ESPN2. It's cheap and you can fill timeslots with it.

They're facing the same inevitable oblivion that most American cable networks are facing when people can get their entertainment elsewhere and digitally. Which is why most networks have opted for cheap "re-enacted" reality TV about towing cars and people in jail and pawn shops. Animal Planet has to have shows about people hunting for Bigfoots because people can just watch cute cat videos on their phone. History Channel is now about speculative fiction about ancient aliens and ice road truckers. ESPN is now about talking heads yelling at each other.

The only other choice ESPN has is to severely increase their coverage of live sports instead of Is Dan LeBatard's Dad Paying Attention or Mike & Mike Pretend To Care About Anything in the Morning. Which would cost them a fortune. The amount of money they're paying for Monday Night Football is obscene.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

MourningView posted:

Cars driving in circles is nowhere near as boring as "tall men stand around for 40 minutes".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yes, basketball is notorious for it's lack of activity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Yes, basketball is notorious for it's lack of activity.

Clearly I need to step up my talking about how much I dislike basketball because there's too much activity.

Although the other night I watched my one basketball game per year and I watched an Ohio State player get kneed in the testicles by a Penn State player then for reasons I don't understand PSU got two free throws, so it was all worth it.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Peanut President posted:

Cars driving in circles is nowhere near as boring as "tall men stand around for 40 minutes".

You just described baseball. That ugly dude from the Diamondbacks was really tall. He also killed a pigeon. That was probably the most exciting thing ever in that sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The one thing that still amazes me about ESPN is...when they put their time and effort on something, and don't half rear end it? They do indeed live up to the "World Wide Leader" slogan.

The Megacast, "30 for 30 series", "Outside the lines", and "Olbermann" are all very much worthy of praise.

Sportscenter I kind of view as something that's been half assed in quite a few ways.

It feels like "First Take" was literally a virus that has spread throughout the network.