Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anyone have some advice for taking a dog backpacking? I can take care of myself and my girlfriend just fine but I've never taken a dog out before.

A buddy and I went on a 26 mile overnight and he took his dog... and it was really a huge pain in the rear end. She would keep running back and forth and getting in our way, messing up our pace. Towards the end of the day she kept getting tired and in our way and it was hard to keep her motivated. When we'd stop she'd instantly want to play and wouldn't conserve her energy. At night when trying to sleep, the high pitched noises from scraping nylon from the tents, sleeping bags and sleeping pads would always wake her up and scare her, and so she didn't get any good sleep. She had a small pack on to carry her own food which made her fart constantly, which made being downwind of her supremely unpleasant. I figured open air and a breeze might help with that, but nope.

Long story short, if my buddy ever wants to go on a hiking trip again and is bringing his dog, I'll pass. And this is one of the better behaved and trained dogs in good shape I've ever been around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sounds like your buddy has no idea what he's doing. Also the gas is probably caused by lovely food.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Dogs while hiking is totally dependant on the dog and the breed. My parents German short hair would do terribly on a real hike not because shes poorly trained but because she's a bird dog and likes to take off straight into the woods to sniff out birds at a high pace in front of us. She barks a lot and gets cold easily.

My brothers dog is a herding dog so she stays behind you as you walk and she doesn't have any real training but makes a great hiker because she's quiet and isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Most of the time when I'm on a serious hike I don't want to have to worry about a dog as well. Taking care of dog poop and dealing with their food and antics are more of a turn off for me personally. Short hikes are fine but overnights can get tricky. I would hate if one of my friends dogs ruined a trip so I prefer to just not deal with it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Anyone have some advice for taking a dog backpacking? I can take care of myself and my girlfriend just fine but I've never taken a dog out before.

Bury the poo or keep it off the trail, make a dog specific first aid kit (superglue) and make sure they have lots of water

Edit: I leave my dogs at home because the wiener dog is slow, the bulldog old and the coonhound would bay every animal in the woods.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 5, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
From what I have experienced, dogs cannot do the miles a fit person can. They are good for maybe 15 miles max. Smaller dogs are the exception, to this. If you have a dry stretch of trail, you will need to carry their water too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mercury Ballistic posted:

From what I have experienced, dogs cannot do the miles a fit person can. They are good for maybe 15 miles max. Smaller dogs are the exception, to this. If you have a dry stretch of trail, you will need to carry their water too.

Eh I think they can if they're conditioned for it and their paws can be kept healthy. I think the food issue is the hardest over a long trip, like people who take their dogs on the AT. Hard to carry enough food for them to stay properly fed sometimes.

My dog is a giant rear end in a top hat towards other dogs on leash which is really her main problem for backpacking :\

I saw a lot of cool dogs in the Winds last year, including one guy with an old Golden he said they had been doing that for like a decade and they were just hanging out around Island lake and the Titcomb Basin

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

From what I have experienced, dogs cannot do the miles a fit person can. They are good for maybe 15 miles max. Smaller dogs are the exception, to this.
Again this is completely case by case. No one can do 200km days, but a bunch of breeds can.
15 miles is like taking my dog to office that day.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

beefnoodle posted:

Are you me?

Yeah. Sup?

Are you also aiming to do the PCT in 2015?

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I've become an avid hiker ever since I moved out west. Before arriving to northern California for the drive out, I visited Rocky Mountain National Park, Zion, Bryce, and Arches. It was like I entered a new world. I had seen pictures of these places through out my childhood to a point where they became legendary, far-off magical places. Then you see them for real.

Anyway, I've gone on numerous hikes here in CA, including Death Valley (hint: you can do things there in winter without suffering) and the Desolation Wilderness in Tahoe. I haven't spent much money on gear - usually I just wing it. I layer up, throw on some shoes, pack some food, etc. The basics seem to be enough. I do have a "Life-Straw" which filters water from streams in the wilderness, and a flashlight just in case.

I'd love try backpacking in the future but my budget is tight at the moment.

By the way, I might go to Grand Teton National Park in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

A Kpro posted:

Someone else decided to camp out in the wilderness of Idaho and came back with this shot

That's fantastic. I'm still getting to used to the fact that Idaho has things worth seeing.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Telesphorus posted:

I might go to Grand Teton National Park in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

I love backpacking. Being alone in the wilderness, all that.

But the Tetons are a thing everyone should see at least once, in whatever way they are comfortable with. The presence they have over the entire valley, no matter what you're doing, can only be understood by experience. The first time I saw them I was 29 years old and it was the first time in my life I involuntarily gasped (coming up the hill from Jackson).

The backpacking into them is great as well, and pleasantly uncrowded.

Go.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

BeefofAges posted:

Yeah. Sup?

Are you also aiming to do the PCT in 2015?

Nope. Colorado Trail this summer, JMT 2015.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah the Tetons are very impressive, very neat. They like to try to scare the poo poo out of you about bears though.

You should also hit up the Grand Canyon, it's amazingly impressive as well

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Speleothing posted:

Where do you live? I can try to get you in contact with someone I know.

Caving isn't really like any other sport. You'll hike for hours to reach the entrance, climb 4th class and 5.5 in muddy wellington boots, scramble up scree slopes, crawl for thousands of feet, ascend and rappel fixed ropes, learn to duck-walk without slowing down, and sit with your head between your knees in total darkness eating energy bars while you wait for your team. Then, if you're worth anything at all, you'll reach either a scientific, exploratory, or photography objective and dick around for hours.

A beginning caver needs two or three headlamps, a helmet, kneepads, and a set of dedicated caving clothes & shoes. As you get more into it, you'll start picking up extras like elbow pads and cave-suits and multiple SRT kits and packs of all sizes and survey gear and specialized lights, and all sorts of sundries.

Some caves are friendly, some are hellholes. Some are joint-controlled mazes and some are simple lava tubes and many many are based on flowing water, like a swirling nest of 3-d rivers and tributaries.

God I love caving.

Bay Area of California.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Today's the last day of the Enchantment lottery. Having lost out on it for three years now, when are the winners expected to receive notification?

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Teton chat :)
I'm going to be heading out there in May. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with closed seasonal roads and can get at least a few miles of trails in without any hassle.

I'm actually heading out that way for a graduation in Idaho then winding my way through Montana, Wyoming and then Colorado. Hoping to get to visit a bunch of the state parks along the way.

Any recommendations for trails?
I know that I will be going to Lolo National Forrest, Yellowstone, Teton and Rocky Mountain National park. Might make my way to Glacier National park if I have the spare time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

mastershakeman posted:

Today's the last day of the Enchantment lottery. Having lost out on it for three years now, when are the winners expected to receive notification?

Just get in shape and through hike it. Isn't it 18 miles?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

-CHA posted:

I'm going to be heading out there in May. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with closed seasonal roads and can get at least a few miles of trails in without any hassle.

I'm actually heading out that way for a graduation in Idaho then winding my way through Montana, Wyoming and then Colorado. Hoping to get to visit a bunch of the state parks along the way.

I know that I will be going to Lolo National Forrest, Yellowstone, Teton and Rocky Mountain National park. Might make my way to Glacier National park if I have the spare time.

I'm in Missoula which is surrounded by the lolo NF. What kind of hiking do you want to do- just day hikes or overnight stuff? The rattlesnake wilderness which is basically right in town has both. You can do short trails near the trailhead or go 8 miles to the wilderness boundary and camp at lakes and stuff. I think the hikes down in the bitterroots or west of town near superior/st regis along the montana-idaho border are a little more interesting though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Supposedly midnight tomorrow, but I'd take that with a grain of salt after their initial delay this year. I'm in as well, really hoping I get it this year.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I mainly just do day hikes. I think an average hike for me would be about 4 miles round trip. Unless of course if I am heading to the White Mountains then I average close to ten.

My wife is actually from Missoula, she was going to take me up Mount Sentinel to the "M" though I may want to go farther up that trail. Looks like there will be some nice views. I wouldn't be able to do any of the more strenuous trails since she isn't that big into hiking.

As for Lolo, My wife has a friend out there who is going to be renting a cabin for a night or two to head out an enjoy the woods. I'm not sure what part yet. Though I figured that if I saw some areas that looked nice I may persuade the vote to camp closer to them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

-CHA posted:

I mainly just do day hikes. I think an average hike for me would be about 4 miles round trip. Unless of course if I am heading to the White Mountains then I average close to ten.

My wife is actually from Missoula, she was going to take me up Mount Sentinel to the "M" though I may want to go farther up that trail. Looks like there will be some nice views. I wouldn't be able to do any of the more strenuous trails since she isn't that big into hiking.

As for Lolo, My wife has a friend out there who is going to be renting a cabin for a night or two to head out an enjoy the woods. I'm not sure what part yet. Though I figured that if I saw some areas that looked nice I may persuade the vote to camp closer to them.

Oh ok, well definitely go all the way to the top. The m doesn't take very long. Then if you're near lolo, lolo peak would be a good one. It's 9000 something ft and one of the taller things around but the trailhead is at 6k.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

jamal posted:

Oh ok, well definitely go all the way to the top. The m doesn't take very long. Then if you're near lolo, lolo peak would be a good one. It's 9000 something ft and one of the taller things around but the trailhead is at 6k.

I might check out Lolo peak just to say I've hiked a 9k.

So far the tallest thing I have hiked was Mt. Washington at 6,288 ft with 4,600 of elevation gain.
It would be nice knowing that when I go up Washington again in July that I had done higher mountains.
Might make the Hell Mile not seem so bad :v:

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

-CHA posted:

Grand Teton: The Taggart and Bradley Lakes trail is a great hike. It has excellent range views and meets your distance and difficulty criteria.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Taggart_Lake_topo.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Dayhikes10.pdf

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

-CHA posted:

I might check out Lolo peak just to say I've hiked a 9k.

So far the tallest thing I have hiked was Mt. Washington at 6,288 ft with 4,600 of elevation gain.
It would be nice knowing that when I go up Washington again in July that I had done higher mountains.
Might make the Hell Mile not seem so bad :v:

I just realized you said may. There will still be quite a bit of snow but I think you could do it with snowshoes. Some friends of mine did trapper peak last april or may with cross country skis and showshoes, which is to the south about 50mi and 1000ft taller. I didn't go because I had a bike race.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

-CHA posted:

That's the problem I have. My only chance to go would be late March, which isn't exactly a snow-free time of the year for Teton. My back-up is Redwoods National Park, or a trip to the coast (Big Sur?)

Feedbacker posted:

Grand Teton: The Taggart and Bradley Lakes trail is a great hike. It has excellent range views and meets your distance and difficulty criteria.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Taggart_Lake_topo.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Dayhikes10.pdf

LOL at the Grizzly warnings. I'm well-acquainted with the black bear "I don't care if you're here just stay away from my cubs" here in California, but grizzly bears? That's a little different.

There's also a large population of wolves at Grand Teton, I think.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Looking for some recommendations on sleeping pads. I currently have a closed cell sleeping pad: http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad-. It was fine on the first gear test trip (dry sandy soil). However, over the weekend, I had the unfortunate experience of sleeping on some rather hard packed clay. I ended up tossing and turning all night from sore hips, back, and shoulders. We ended up driving to Walmart for a totally impractical air mattress that we ended up having to put our sleeping pads on anyway due to the cold. This got me thinking it might be worth investing in an insulated air pad instead. Could you guys give a recommendation?

I was thinking of http://www.rei.com/product/829851/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad or maybe http://www.rei.com/product/829850/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I have these and they are great.

http://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

They are heavier than what you're looking at, but I will gladly carry an extra 12 oz for an extra 1 1/2 inches of thickness.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I've got this and I love it: http://www.rei.com/product/850321/klymit-static-v-sleeping-pad

I'd love one of these though: http://www.rei.com/product/866834/klymit-inertia-o-zone-sleeping-pad or http://www.rei.com/product/833850/klymit-inertia-x-frame-sleeping-pad

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

HFX posted:

Looking for some recommendations on sleeping pads. I currently have a closed cell sleeping pad: http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad-. It was fine on the first gear test trip (dry sandy soil). However, over the weekend, I had the unfortunate experience of sleeping on some rather hard packed clay. I ended up tossing and turning all night from sore hips, back, and shoulders. We ended up driving to Walmart for a totally impractical air mattress that we ended up having to put our sleeping pads on anyway due to the cold. This got me thinking it might be worth investing in an insulated air pad instead. Could you guys give a recommendation?

I was thinking of http://www.rei.com/product/829851/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad or maybe http://www.rei.com/product/829850/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad.

I have the XTherm (the last pad you linked) and really like it. Some people complain about the noise when you move around, but I've never found it to be a problem. The ambient noise is always way louder than the pad, in my experience. Let me know if you have specific questions.

e: And in the winter, you can put it on top of that ridge rest you have for a fantastically warm setup.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 6, 2014

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Thanks for the input guys :)

I'm pretty much expecting to have to deal with snow.
I figured that once I'm out there I can always rent whatever equipment that I would need.
Mainly snowshoes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Just use it as a learning experience. Backing in the snow is my favorite.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I have these and they are great.

http://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

They are heavier than what you're looking at, but I will gladly carry an extra 12 oz for an extra 1 1/2 inches of thickness.

Hmm, extra inch and half might prove useful.

I'll have to check out the top one. I'm not so sure about the bottom one, especially since I'm a big guy even when I'm not carrying around to much holiday food. I ended up having to get an REI Radiant Wide and Tall bag so I could actually move once zipping up the tall.

Business of Ferrets posted:

I have the XTherm (the last pad you linked) and really like it. Some people complain about the noise when you move around, but I've never found it to be a problem. The ambient noise is always way louder than the pad, in my experience. Let me know if you have specific questions.

e: And in the winter, you can put it on top of that ridge rest you have for a fantastically warm setup.

We learned about how much insulation a pad makes when we bought a cheap Walmart air mattress for the second night and found it to be colder even though it was warmer outside. We ended up putting our pads on top of the air mattress which made things a lot more comfortable.

Thanks guys I'll look into these. The ones I linked is because Cabela's also has them for which I can convert some reward points into gift cards.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 7, 2014

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like the Enchantment lottery results got delayed until this Sunday.

For sleeping pad chat. I love my cheap little yellow therm-a-rest foam fold up thing, whatever they're calling it now. I take that thing on every trip with me. Packs down easy, weighs hardly anything and you can fold it up to make a nice chair, use it to pad delicate stuff in your pack. That thing is awesome! Now in the winter I use my down inflatable pad, way to warm in any season but late fall and winter.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can anyone recommend a daypack that doubles well as a daily use sort of backpack?

I'm thinking of going to rei to just browse around, but thought I'd ask for recommendations

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I like this one a lot, esp. since you can turn it into a stuff sack by turning it inside out.

http://www.rei.com/product/861436/rei-flash-18-pack

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Can anyone recommend a daypack that doubles well as a daily use sort of backpack?
What kind of daily use?

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey
There are a lot of packs that will fit both purposes, just browse online for daypacks. I have a Kelty Redtail that I've used for dayhikes, travel, and school.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like my Osprey Comet 28. Use it every day for work and have used it as a day pack when needed.

http://rei.com/product/837025/osprey-comet-daypack

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I wish I had a picture. I did an impromptu three-night in Utah with an Osprey commuter pack. Used kayaking straps to lash everything (tent, 15 degree bag, 1.5 liter bottles) real tight together into a 35-lb pack, and cut up the lower quarter of my sleeping pad into hip and shoulder pads. Scrampled up the slickrock no problem. Do not recommend, because I'd be up a variety of creeks if it all came apart, though I think it was pretty one-piece.

Love Osprey packs and their warranty.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The Osprey Daylite is pretty good too, I've used it extensively for day-to-day activities, day hikes and traveling. It can take Osprey's 1.5 liter water pack and folds flat for packing in a suitcase or larger pack.

Speaking of backpacks, I'm looking for a new multi-day pack in the 55-65 liter range to replace my old external frame backpacking pack. Looking in REI both the Osprey Atmos and Aether look close to what I'm interested in, but I'm having difficulty finding similarly sized packs in other brands (like the Gregory Savant or Boreas Lost Coast) at the local stores to try on. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BeefofAges posted:

I exclusively hike and backpack in lightweight non-waterproof trail runners (Salomons and Inov-8s) unless I expect to be hiking through deep powdery snow. My feet get wet when I step in puddles or when it rains, and then they dry out pretty fast once I'm in a dry area for a while.

My Solomon XA 3D Pro Ultras (what a silly name for a shoe) were my absolute favorite shoe until I got a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 245s.

How heavy is your pack usually and what kind of terrain do you usually hike on? I was looking at the Inov-8 Roclite 295's today and liked how they felt but I'm curious how they would hold up over long hikes and long backpacks. Of course footwear is somewhat subjective but I'm curious if people have to get used to using lighter footwear that doesn't have as much support, etc