Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Milch gets hosed again by HBO

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-passes-david-milchs-money-201827

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Horse murder has long term consequences.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

That's a shame, but on the bright side, it did lead me to this modestly amusing little parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_sUtXAl24o

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The Good Wife is the best show airing where people don't get brutally murdered.

I've been considering starting on this recently. Does the show actually have characters I would want to root for? Because a hallmark of most popular dramas I see nowadays seems to be that everyone is a huge piece of poo poo and I refuse to spend my time with them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I like all the main characters. Alan Cumming joins the show later on and he's my favorite. Sort of a Josh Lyman/Rahm Emanuel type character. If you watch The Sopranos pretty much every mob boss plays a judge on this show at some point.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Shageletic posted:

Zoux you're mistaken, that post was straight up hilarious. And illuminating! About the poster...

EDIT: Yeah, the S1 Hannibal thread was great, a lot of people talking about what they found great about the show, taking the time to delve into it and tweeze some meaning out of it. Also loved the constant informative posts and links.
That is a bit of rose-colored glasses, or you unconsciously forgot certain posts to protect your sanity. The Hannibal S1 thread had its share of creepy posts, too. I tried to read the thread in parallel with watching the show when it went up on Prime, but quit at this page. :stare:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Joramun posted:

True Detective is good but it doesn't hold a candle to Hannibal. Hannibal is on another level entirely.

There's few productions that are in the same league as Hannibal, in any medium, and I can't think of anything that's ever aired on television. A few movies, sure, but Hannibal brings something to TV that I've never personally witnessed.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Manos del Sino posted:

There's few productions that are in the same league as Hannibal, in any medium, and I can't think of anything that's ever aired on television. A few movies, sure, but Hannibal brings something to TV that I've never personally witnessed.

I think you're forgetting about "this generation’s most original, audacious, and poignant depictions of the twenty-something experience."

Motherfucking Thought Catalog, Of Course, Fukuyama Was Right, This Is the End of History posted:

From its debut at South by Southwest two years ago this month, Girls has emerged as this generation’s most original, audacious, and poignant depictions of the twenty-something experience. After 3 seasons and 10 Emmy nominations, it continues to grow in popularity while expanding its relevance for viewers of all ages.

Thought Catalog invites authors to submit proposals for a new book on the culture-shaping series. The final book will reach 15-20,000 words, and explore the show’s characters, themes, and cultural impact. Proposals should include a brief overview of the approach, a proposed table of contents, a short sample from the book, and a bio. Make it smart, funny, and original. Make it more fun than a night of driving around in your mom’s Volvo with a bottle of cough syrup and a box of cold McNuggets.

The final volume will be published within the Thought Catalog Books imprint, alongside similar titles such as Winter is Coming: Symbols and Hidden Meanings in ‘A Game of Thrones’; We Put the Spring in Springfield: Chronicling the Golden Era of ‘The Simpsons’; Doctor Who and the Hero’s Journey; Maestro Mario: How Nintendo Transformed Videogame Music into an Art.

How to submit:
Please submit a brief biography, title, and detailed proposal to manuscripts@thoughtcatalog.com.

To paraphrase Richard Nixon, culture-shaping - Jesus Christ!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

quote:

Make it more fun than a night of driving around in your mom’s Volvo with a bottle of cough syrup and a box of cold McNuggets.

This is some elaborate prank by The Onion, right?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If that's part of the "twenty-something experience" then I've been doing my twenties wrong, apparently.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grrarg posted:

That is a bit of rose-colored glasses, or you unconsciously forgot certain posts to protect your sanity. The Hannibal S1 thread had its share of creepy posts, too. I tried to read the thread in parallel with watching the show when it went up on Prime, but quit at this page. :stare:

Honestly, it's pretty much that one poster seems to have just kind of wandered here right from tumblr.

and I love Girls but man it has definitely not turned out to be a big defining series like it was originally hyped up to be. It just kind of stays in its niche.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
HBO GO is now available for PlayStation 3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

As long as you're not on Comcast.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
PS3s HBOGO interface is pretty drat nice. Its a lot smoother than the 360 app in both aesthetics and function.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

This would be awesome if it worked with the only cable provider anyone, anywhere actually has.

I think my uncle in Knoxville has Knology, I'm gonna see about getting his password. Lord knows he doesn't even know how to spell IBM.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

As long as you're not on Comcast.

...Jesus, do they just not like having customers?

And yeah, nice interface. I don't seem to be getting HD picture on it, though, even though I get it just fine on Netflix and Amazon, so I'm wondering if the servers are just getting slammed or Optimum's throttling it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, my friend, Comcast is about to have all the customers :getin:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Oh, my friend, Comcast is about to have all the customers :getin:

Ah, I see. Comcast's long-term strategy for building its subscriber base is to buy out other subscriber bases.

It fits with Verizon and DirecTV's long-term strategies for building their respective subscriber bases, which is to let Comcast buy out other subscriber bases.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure DirecTV's strategy is "be so awful Comcast is actually an attractive alternative".

It's probably some kind of shady backroom monopoly deal.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Still kind of amazed that they're just allowed to do that, apparently. Thank god that law that was designed to specifically prevent this type of thing from happening got repealed a few years back. Man, what a coincidence!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Comcast's whole strategy is to sell their own boxes that can play HBO/Go and other on demand services actually. It's one of the reasons why they're the major holdout on Roku for HBOGO integration.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trailer Park Boys is doing 2 more Netflix exclusive seasons.

Guarantee that's because people watched the poo poo out of the older seasons on there.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Guarantee that's because people watched the poo poo out of the older seasons on there.

Hell yes. Netflix, you can live in my crrrrr and borrow my kitty to guard your weed plants any time.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Have they already filmed any of Season 8? They announced it last year and were gonna put it on that pet video site they have going. Guess Netflix offered them a sweeter deal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

This is amazing news. I hope more shows get the revival treatment. :toot:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

zoux posted:

Whiteface and lampooning the poor wasn't good a decade ago, and that then tired act is even more exhausted now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

soapgish posted:

Whiteface and lampooning the poor wasn't good a decade ago, and that then tired act is even more exhausted now.

Thanks for your dumbass opinion!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

zoux posted:

Thanks for your dumbass opinion!

You're welcome, person who believes it's not sexist if it's male or racist if it's Caucasian.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight's episode of Suburgatory is pretty magic. There is a juice bar called A Pressed Nation.

Say it out loud.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

soapgish posted:

You're welcome, person who believes it's not sexist if it's male or racist if it's Caucasian.

Ahahaha. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Tonight's episode of Suburgatory is pretty magic. There is a juice bar called A Pressed Nation.

Say it out loud.

I keep hearing "oppressed nation."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

I keep hearing "oppressed nation."

You see that's the magic joke. Apparently.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

soapgish posted:

Oh ok, I'm sorry, I will now only watch sitcoms that deal with the everyday problems of ultra-rich WASPs such as

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That seems like the kind of joke that would be really funny as part of a larger, multi-stage joke, and not noteworthy at all on its own, especially devoid of context.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrAristocrates posted:

That seems like the kind of joke that would be really funny as part of a larger, multi-stage joke, and not noteworthy at all on its own, especially devoid of context.

There's more to it, I just gave you the hook. I mean, we're talking about a show that takes place Every Suburb Ever, Whiteville, USA.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

Oh ok, I'm sorry, I will now only watch sitcoms that deal with the everyday problems of ultra-rich WASPs such as

USA's entire lineup?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

all of them

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

Ahahaha. What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Replace "white trash" with any other ethnicity and economic tier.

Where is the funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

soapgish posted:

Replace "white trash" with any other ethnicity and economic tier.

Where is the funny?

Ooh, like "Black Rich?" Because then the funny is in The Cosby Show.

• Locked thread