Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Are there any crossovers that look even ok?

The Forester is still sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

PCOS Bill posted:

The Forester is still sexy

Judging by Subaru design trends not for long though :P

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Judging by Subaru design trends not for long though :P

Well, it just got a design refresh recently so it should hold steady for at least a few years. Of course, I prefer the first and second gens over the more recent ones. I'd love an '04ish XT

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snowdens Secret posted:

Here's problems with the supercar theory:

- With the exception of the Bugatti and the Audi, all of those huge grills are below the bumper line, meaning if you're over four feet tall and not lying on the ground to take a glamor shot, you won't see them.

- Again excepting Bugatti, those are short and wide. It's the height that most people find offensive. Tall grills don't look like short wide grills, the ratios are all wrong.

- The Audi wears a corporate grill that was on the regular cars first, not vice versa. One could say the same of the Vipers.

- The Bugatti tombstone is supposed to be a throwback to their classic cars

- I've never heard anyone say the Bugatti 'looks good'

If anything, the supercars (especially the Lambo) are styled to look like jet fighters, and that definitely doesn't carry over to mainstream cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Like a tiny rainbow of stupid.

All rear wipers on modern cars are useless because manufacturers have made a habit of putting in rear glass with a really short vertical distance.

Is why brushing off the roof on anything with a square rear end is so important, even if you clean off the window the first time you go over 35 all the powder is going to swirl into a vortex and stick itself back on the window.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

All rear wipers on modern cars are useless because manufacturers have made a habit of putting in rear glass with a really short vertical distance.

Is why brushing off the roof on anything with a square rear end is so important, even if you clean off the window the first time you go over 35 all the powder is going to swirl into a vortex and stick itself back on the window.

Rear defroster usually takes care of that, but cleaning off your roof is just a nice thing to do for everyone else on the highway.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Seems like a perfect use case for Mercedes-style wubba wubba uniwipers.

Or just two wiper arms.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seems like a perfect use case for Mercedes-style wubba wubba uniwipers.

Or just two wiper arms.

I was thinking a vertical wiper blade that is attached to channels along the top and bottom of the window, and a hidden chain drags it from side to side as needed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

What really loving gets my goat is that on my Mustang, the rear window is pretty flat. This means that if it's actively snowing, I have to keep my rear defrost on for my entire drive. And since the slope of the window isn't very steep, if it's a lot of snow, the slush just piles up at the bottom since it doesn't have anywhere to fall. I already have 3 dead wires, so I'm just waiting for another one to quit working.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xzzy posted:

I was thinking a vertical wiper blade that is attached to channels along the top and bottom of the window, and a hidden chain drags it from side to side as needed.

Problem with this is those channels are going to clog full of gritty crap and ruin the mechanism in no time.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Solution: McLaren vibration technology

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
JUST ADD MORE WIPERS!

YES!

YES!

YES!

YES!

YES!

YES!

YES!

NO

NO

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lemme tell you about adjustable ride height

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Wait do these actually come with 3 blades? lol.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

trouser chili posted:

JUST ADD MORE WIPERS!
NO

Hey man, this post made me laugh my rear end off but Rain-X rules!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Until you try Aquapel and then never buy Rain-X again.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Phone posted:

:aaaaa: Just when I thought stupidity couldn't surprise me anymore.

How does that even being to seem like a good idea?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Phone posted:

Holy poo poo.

That... how... how does that stay together? How does that not violently explode the minute any pressure is put on it? :psyduck:

Also, I'll have to check out Aquapel. I had a wiper break mid-drive in the Grand Prix, at night, in the middle of a rain storm, and ended up doing a bit of this:

I got to an auto parts store and picked up some Rain-X, which did the trick until I could get it fixed the next day. That was not a fun drive. Rain-X saved my rear end that time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't consider the entire car "terrible car stuff" as I'm a giant Honda fanboy, but the spoiler configuration on this concept Civic...

What is it about concept cars, man.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Honda is taking styling cues from pixar

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I don't consider the entire car "terrible car stuff" as I'm a giant Honda fanboy, but the spoiler configuration on this concept Civic...

What is it about concept cars, man.

Looks like it's a hatchback with a waist spolier with built in other spoiler.

Just the waist spoiler wouldn't look bad at all.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

This commercial is quite accurate. You usually have to shift into second before the car begins to move because first is so loving short that it shouldn't have bothered to exist.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The back end of that Civic is generally terrible, the extra spoiler just pushes it to 2fast2furious levels of terrible.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The worst part is, the rest of the car looks okay.

I don't know why Civics are getting towards "bubble on wheels" territory, but the front isn't offensive. And it doesn't have a grill that makes it look like a Cylon had a baby with a Predator.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I don't know why Civics are getting towards "bubble on wheels" territory, but the front isn't offensive. And it doesn't have a grill that makes it look like a Cylon had a baby with a Predator.

Yeah the first version of the 'new' Civic looked awful, thankfully it's getting better on the front but the back is still a bit of a mess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fucknag posted:

Argh, I just noticed that the truck pulls off even though they show him "continuing on". I mean, I know TG is scripted, but I never saw that before, now I can't unsee it.
He's pulling over to murder a prostitute, that's why they had to cut it out.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Does it still require 8000 rpms before it makes any power?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

veedubfreak posted:

Look towards the upper right.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

veedubfreak posted:

Let's hope so. That's the most fun thing about any given Honda, wringing the poo poo out of the poor little motor as mercilessly as possible.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I wouldn't worry about it since the chance of the US getting anything fun is near nil.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

I wouldn't worry about it since the chance of the US getting anything fun is near nil.

Or economical. Those three cylinder cars Top Gear drove in a recent episode made me super jealous, they make the Prius look as efficient as an F-150.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

veedubfreak posted:

How else are people gonna know how :rice: your car is if the engine isn't literally screaming?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

Or economical. Those three cylinder cars Top Gear drove in a recent episode made me super jealous, they make the Prius look as efficient as an F-150.

Not really - remember UK gallons are larger than what you're used to.

Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0T 100 - 65.7 mpg
Prius T3 - 72.4mpg

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

It's like magic...:allears:

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

trouser chili posted:

JUST ADD MORE WIPERS!

YES!

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

dissss posted:

Not really - remember UK gallons are larger than what you're used to.

Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0T 100 - 65.7 mpg
Prius T3 - 72.4mpg

Canadian dealers pull that miles per imperial gallon thing. I remember seeing an Impreza parked somewhere as advertisement for a local dealer with a big "40MPG!" sticker across the hood, which is a car that is rated 25-27mpg highway in the US. Canadians buy gas by the litre and watch a lot of american tv so they are constantly seeing commercials advertising cars that get x mpg in american gallons, not imperial, and it's not like anyone is going to do a conversion every time they fill up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The best wiper setup is the one on this Luigi Colani-designed truck concept:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The UK spec civic now looks like it's been attacked by bees. Look at all that puffyness. That or it's had an allergic reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Falken posted:

The UK spec civic now looks like it's been attacked by bees. Look at all that puffyness. That or it's had an allergic reaction.

It just looks... uncomfortable. Someone touched that poor Civic innapropriately. :(