Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

1redflag posted:

The real problems with RE6, IMO, were:

1. Too many cutscenes;
2. Too many set pieces;
3. Too many vehicle sections;
4. Too many enemies with guns;
5. Elimination of load out/weapon customization.

You may notice a trend in my complaints; I just want to shoot zombies/monsters in the knees with a bad rear end machine pistol and then suplex them until their head pops. Stop making me ride on a snowmobile then watch a ten minute cutscenes I will never watch after the first time I see it, only to get to a room filled with SMG totting enemies who camp behind cover.

I don't really think 'too many cutscenes' should be a valid complaint unless they're unskippable/there are a bunch in a row that you have to skip. If you want to kill zombies so bad then toss the story out the window and go kill 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
RE6 is apparently getting a manga.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/05/resident-evil-6-prequel-manga-coming-north-america/

Really wish they'd stop with all the Chris love, dude's boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/05/resident-evil-6-prequel-manga-coming-north-america/

That came out long before the game did IIRC, it's just only now getting translated. It was made to promote RE6's release.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I unironically like Chris Redfield. He is about as interesting as most of the other protagonists such as Leon and Jill.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Alteisen posted:

Maybe the manga will have its own $1600 boxed set with Jill's panties or something.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Son Ryo posted:

I don't really think 'too many cutscenes' should be a valid complaint unless they're unskippable/there are a bunch in a row that you have to skip. If you want to kill zombies so bad then toss the story out the window and go kill 'em.

It is when you can tell significant assets that should have been used to improve the actual game were instead funneled into making several hours worth of HD cutscenes that will only be watched once. Unfortunately, game development is a zero-sum equation; assets wasted on superfluous content can't be used on the important poo poo. Same argument applies to all the set pieces and vehicle sections => think about all the extra cool monsters (lay ought there were a ton already) we could have had if not for another boring and unfun car chase sequence.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

blackguy32 posted:

I still wonder how much they spent on RE6. I was near the end of the game and I realized how many cut scenes they put in the game, and these cut scenes were pretty close to the quality of the Animated RE movies they released.

The RE movie (E: looking it up, it's Damnation) that came out before RE6 actually has worse CG than the cutscenes in RE6. I know, because I watched the movie while I was still playing RE6 so it really stood out to me.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

1redflag posted:

It is when you can tell significant assets that should have been used to improve the actual game were instead funneled into making several hours worth of HD cutscenes that will only be watched once. Unfortunately, game development is a zero-sum equation; assets wasted on superfluous content can't be used on the important poo poo. Same argument applies to all the set pieces and vehicle sections => think about all the extra cool monsters (lay ought there were a ton already) we could have had if not for another boring and unfun car chase sequence.

Are you implying Capcom doesn't have their poo poo together? Color me shocked.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

blackguy32 posted:

I unironically like Chris Redfield. He is about as interesting as most of the other protagonists such as Leon and Jill.

Leon had RE4 to become awesome, and I like Jill because she comes off as comically stupid in the REmake and RE3 (though since then she's been about as boring as Chris). Chris has starred in what, four games, and has yet to develop any sort of personality.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Momomo posted:

Leon had RE4 to become awesome, and I like Jill because she comes off as comically stupid in the REmake and RE3 (though since then she's been about as boring as Chris). Chris has starred in what, four games, and has yet to develop any sort of personality.

"I've got muscles, hate people named Wesker, and love getting helicopter pilots killed"
-Chris Redfield

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always liked Leon and Claire in 2 because they were just regular people with no real special kind of training. STARS was supposed to be the elite response team but Leon was just a beat cop and Claire was just... Claire. Then Leon got super secret training before the events in 4 and learned some one-liners.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak posted:

"I've got muscles, hate people named Wesker, and love getting helicopter pilots killed"
-Chris Redfield
Don't forget the "explode into a fanatical rage over a single person dying in a business with probably a high fatality rate because I shared a moment with them" part.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Barudak posted:

-Chris Redfield

"I've got pretty boy hair, unrequited love, and wreck every vehicle I operate"
-Leon Kennedy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tremors posted:

"I've got pretty boy hair, unrequited love, and wreck every vehicle I operate"
-Leon Kennedy

"And love getting helicopter pilots killed"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

-Chris Redfield

"And a niiiiiice steak"

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

1redflag posted:

1. Too many cutscenes;
2. Too many set pieces;

The load out issue was probably my largest problem of the issues you've listed. It was annoying to have inventory spots taken up by weapons I don't want to use instead of being able to load up on ammo for my preferred weapons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

1redflag posted:

1. Too many cutscenes;
2. Too many set pieces;

You may notice a trend in my complaints; I just want to shoot zombies/monsters in the knees with a bad rear end machine pistol and then suplex them until their head pops. Stop making me ride on a snowmobile then watch a ten minute cutscenes I will never watch after the first time I see it, only to get to a room filled with SMG totting enemies who camp behind cover.

This is generally how I feel too, but #5 is the cardinal sin in my eyes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Momomo posted:

He does have personality. It just may not be that interesting to you but the dude will pretty much drop anything and everything if he hears the name "Jill". Almost none of RE5 would have even happened if he hadn't have had a hint that Jill was somewhere. Also, I like how he was so dedicated to stopping Wesker that he just hulked out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm fairly certain that Marvel 3 made it canon that Chris juiced the hell out to match Wesker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lotish posted:

This is generally how I feel too, but #5 is the cardinal sin in my eyes.

I'm still of the opinion that Capcom knows RE4 was a milestone, but they don't know WHY it worked. It's not a good thing that I bought RE4HD on Steam, and having played a few chapters, I felt "Hmm, let's play RE6, I never finished it". One level later: "I wanna play 4 again."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

blackguy32 posted:

He does have personality. It just may not be that interesting to you but the dude will pretty much drop anything and everything if he hears the name "Jill". Almost none of RE5 would have even happened if he hadn't have had a hint that Jill was somewhere. Also, I like how he was so dedicated to stopping Wesker that he just hulked out.

He definitely has personality, though it is generic. And there's also some cut parts of his personality hidden away in the files. (Mostly starts at 0:36)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gaz-L posted:

I'm still of the opinion that Capcom knows RE4 was a milestone, but they don't know WHY it worked. It's not a good thing that I bought RE4HD on Steam, and having played a few chapters, I felt "Hmm, let's play RE6, I never finished it". One level later: "I wanna play 4 again."

For me, a big part of it was the level design and the feeling of a connection between the different areas. You had the village and the castle and then the base, and while each of those stages had some admittedly strange, this-is-a-video-game set ups that would not make sense in reality, they came up in a way that felt organic and, if you were in the moment just enjoying the game, made sense while you were playing them. The walking automaton chase was set up with a neat multi-level puzzle where you thought it was a grandiose statue or something first. In RE6, what the gently caress are all those giant tunnels and several hundred foot tall stone pillars doing under a New England college town? There's no set up, everything is just kind of there because they need it for the next grandiose set piece. Jake's campaign I think did it best, generally, to link things together.

Another part of it is that everything was I always felt very rushed playing 6. RE4 gave you time to unpack and evaluate what was going on, to explore and look around, and you weren't always being chased. RE6 you're always chasing something or running away from something; Jake's campaign in particular could be described as Chase Scene the Game.

I've read somewhere they're planning to tone the next Resident Evil down a bit, to go back to the roots or something, and I think that's a good thing because i don't feel trying to one-up themselves with RE6 just did not make a game of lasting quality.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lotish posted:

For me, a big part of it was the level design and the feeling of a connection between the different areas. You had the village and the castle and then the base, and while each of those stages had some admittedly strange, this-is-a-video-game set ups that would not make sense in reality, they came up in a way that felt organic and, if you were in the moment just enjoying the game, made sense while you were playing them. The walking automaton chase was set up with a neat multi-level puzzle where you thought it was a grandiose statue or something first. In RE6, what the gently caress are all those giant tunnels and several hundred foot tall stone pillars doing under a New England college town? There's no set up, everything is just kind of there because they need it for the next grandiose set piece. Jake's campaign I think did it best, generally, to link things together.

Another part of it is that everything was I always felt very rushed playing 6. RE4 gave you time to unpack and evaluate what was going on, to explore and look around, and you weren't always being chased. RE6 you're always chasing something or running away from something; Jake's campaign in particular could be described as Chase Scene the Game.

I've read somewhere they're planning to tone the next Resident Evil down a bit, to go back to the roots or something, and I think that's a good thing because i don't feel trying to one-up themselves with RE6 just did not make a game of lasting quality.

The pacing thing is killed by the co-op focus. You can't have those safe areas where you gently caress around with the merchant or solve a tile puzzle because the other person will get bored. I get wanting a multiplayer element, as it's a big selling point for games these days, but not every game benefits from it being part of the campaign. It's also why the atache case, which was a great evolution of the inventory from the prior games, was ditched. Can't be playing inventory Tetris while a pubbie wants to teabag zombies.

And 6 has a really lazy way to enforce that. A lot of areas just have infinitely respawning enemies. RE4 has moments that mimic that, but it's either for a 'Protect Ashley/siege' segment, or the enemies are finite, they just spawned a ton.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Policenaut posted:

I'm fairly certain that Marvel 3 made it canon that Chris juiced the hell out to match Wesker.

I thought Resident Evil 5 did that? After his encounter with Wesker in Spencer's mansion he started pumping iron and drinking eggs so he could become so buff his partner would never die again.

Also I really liked the portion of Jake's campaign where he and Sherry are split up and there's a lot of ambiguity about what's going on and how you're supposed to help each other. I'd like to see another game, ideally RE game, expand on that concept. Also the area after you reunite hosts the best Agent Hunt action in the game, not that anyone does that anymore. :smith:

Geight fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 6, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Having Chris not bitching about Capitalism out of nowhere, would have been a nice start to making a man who has a habit of abandoning his team to die, tolerable. Guy has to complain loudly about everything. I accepted responsibility to lead people?! JILL!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Really RE5 was the end of Chris's arc and he should have just been retired at that point.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lotish posted:

I couldn't put my finger on this before, but these are also really good points. At least the giant mansion and underground lab made some sense in a world with evil mega-corporations, but undisturbed undead tombs under the University of Maryland? I mean where the gently caress did the undead get that Knight's plate armor from anyways?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lotish posted:

Really RE5 was the end of Chris's arc and he should have just been retired at that point.
Honestly, this is one of my biggest complaints about RE6. Leon, Ada and Chris feel so out of place and tacked on because they're established characters in the franchise. Let the older characters move on, Capcom. You've proven that Jake and Sherry can handle things. Now retire the older cast members and bring in new faces.

Also, having to manually enable the Pause function was aggravating.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
After playing through the other scenarios, I knew that picking sherry was going to be way easier than jake. Sure enough he ended up fist fighting a giant monster while i was chillin like a villain.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Lotish posted:

Playing through Chris's campaign it kind of felt like he would agree with you. :v: I'm not sure what role he plays in Revelations cause I haven't sat down to play through that yet, or when it's set exactly (between 5 and 6?), but I would definitely like to see the next game feature Chris in an advisory role.

I really hope they don't do a big videogame reboot because I feel like those do a disservice to the series and are also usually bad games.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Geight posted:

Playing through Chris's campaign it kind of felt like he would agree with you. :v: I'm not sure what role he plays in Revelations cause I haven't sat down to play through that yet, or when it's set exactly (between 5 and 6?), but I would definitely like to see the next game feature Chris in an advisory role.

I really hope they don't do a big videogame reboot because I feel like those do a disservice to the series and are also usually bad games.
Revelations takes place before 5 (roughly around the time of Leon's Excellent Adventure in Not!Spain), with part of the ending leading into the Lost in Nightmares DLC from 5, IIRC.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Having Chris not bitching about Capitalism out of nowhere

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He is an American Communist, acting like he is Russian, and he finally died fighting a woman who didn't care.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Gaz-L posted:

The pacing thing is killed by the co-op focus. You can't have those safe areas where you gently caress around with the merchant or solve a tile puzzle because the other person will get bored. I get wanting a multiplayer element, as it's a big selling point for games these days, but not every game benefits from it being part of the campaign. It's also why the atache case, which was a great evolution of the inventory from the prior games, was ditched. Can't be playing inventory Tetris while a pubbie wants to teabag zombies.

Regarding multiplayer, I like that 5 and 6 had it in their campaigns, but the way they were structured felt like you were at a disadvantage if you weren't playing multi which I think is pretty dumb. I'd like to see an RE game that tries a Peace Walker-type approach, where you're not saddled with a retard AI all the time, but you can have a partner that is inconsequential to the story play with you whenever. I'm actually kind of surprised and disappointed Revelations didn't do this; it would have been great having either player be Jill on their end while their partner shows up as Parker during the missions (yes I know they're separated often due to story crap, or poo poo do like Raid mode and allow both players to be the same person who loving cares just make a fun game), and the cutscenes when triggered just play out as in normal 1-player mode.

If you're playing solo and the game is built like 5 or 6 where you have character options, just have the player choose someone and send them in alone. Have them talk to their partner over a radio or something if they need to have a conversation during a stage. Pretend they were with you all along if you have a section where they split up like Chris and Piers on the bridge in Ch2. Make sure the game can be completed by going solo, but have stuff like shortcuts or ammo caches or something that you need a partner to access.

As far as merchant/inventory stuff goes, I think 5 did about the best job it could, where you just sort that poo poo out between missions, but still have upgrading your guns be a thing. If there's a merchant-type deal available in the stages for single-player, just remove it for multi. Just bring back gun upgrading please Capcom because 6's skills were underwhelming relatively speaking. Hell, do guns AND perks, why not?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I did miss the weapon upgrades, but I'd rather just have a couple with greater impact (and visually as well) rather than 5 ranks of firepower x1.02 or reload speed 0.75 seconds instead of 0.85. The gameplay impact was there but I don't really like pure stat boosts. I actually liked RE6 a lot, I enjoyed the crazy adventure aspect of it adn it felt cinematic (which is gonna get me shot I know but that's why I play games for the most part)

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011

Geight posted:

I thought Resident Evil 5 did that? After his encounter with Wesker in Spencer's mansion he started pumping iron and drinking eggs so he could become so buff his partner would never die again.

Also I really liked the portion of Jake's campaign where he and Sherry are split up and there's a lot of ambiguity about what's going on and how you're supposed to help each other. I'd like to see another game, ideally RE game, expand on that concept. Also the area after you reunite hosts the best Agent Hunt action in the game, not that anyone does that anymore. :smith:

Depending on how canon you want to take it the RE5 artbook states that:

RE5 Artbook posted:

His enhanced muscle structure was meant to show just how much he had been training for his eventual confrontation with Wesker. Chris wanted to be prepared to take Wesker down with his bare hands if it came to that. We were given rather blunt instructions to "make his neck thicker than his head, and his arms should be super thick too...like, inhuman thick." This original design actually had thicker arms than the final CG did. (laughs) We gave him scruffy facial hair and unkempt hair to give the character a more wild feel. Since the camera would be behind him most of the time, we put his knife, which could be considered Chris's "trademark" weapon, on his back. We knew he'd have to fight a lot of creatures, and since his insanely muscular arms would be able to handle it, we gave him a pretty big knife.

I'd like to replay 6 but I really can't be bothered with all those stupid set-pieces, QTEs and vehicle sections. I just want to shoot people in the face and then punch them across the room is that so much to ask.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think somewhere its also stated he got so muscular because he knew he would never be as fast as Wesker, so he got all that muscle so he could take a huge beating to get close to him if needed to.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So what do all the RE elitists here think about the Outbreak games? I played and enjoyed both, but they get a lot of hate it seems.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dvsilverwing posted:

So what do all the RE elitists here think about the Outbreak games? I played and enjoyed both, but they get a lot of hate.

Outbreak was ahead of its time. If they had created it during the PS3/360 era, it would probably have gone over a lot better than it really did. There's a lot of really interesting ideas in it, like ad-lib dialogue, door barricading, and the characters being regular schlubs who have limited inventories and unique sets of skills to encourage teamwork is really novel. File #1 also has arguably the best CG intro and opening scenario in the entire franchise. People and technology just wasn't ready for it. Barely anyone had network adapters, Capcom USA removed the HDD support, and it came out during a time when the idea of an online Resident Evil with no voice chat wasn't received very well. If they made a new one with today's modern systems then it would probably be pretty popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I played the first Outbreak in offline mode because I didn't have a way of hooking it up to the internet back when it came out. Ahead of its time is right.