Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

No Wave posted:

I don't think you can even get grass-fed dry-aged beef in Boston. Drives me nuts.

I am surprised you don't have a few smaller butcher shops or specialty meat markets in that area some where. Probably cost a bit more but if you find a butcher who is good they will do just about anything you want them to. The guy that processes beef for us runs his own shop as well and offers advice but will do whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Anyone got time/temp recs for scallops? I'm planning to do some up tonight.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

a foolish pianist posted:

Anyone got time/temp recs for scallops? I'm planning to do some up tonight.

http://bagsoakeat.com/recipes/scallops-whole

60c for 10 minutes

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

No Wave posted:

I don't think you can even get grass-fed dry-aged beef in Boston. Drives me nuts.

There's M.F. Dulock in Somerville or you can hold your nose and go to whole foods.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Foxrunsecurity posted:

There's M.F. Dulock in Somerville or you can hold your nose and go to whole foods.
THANK you! I used google a lot and couldn't find a place like this.

Most of the Whole Foods dry-aged beef I've seen isn't grass-fed. I'm certainly not above eating it, I'm just on a grass-fed thing recently.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Another good site to look up recipes and times is http://citizensousvide.com/index.html. Not sure how often it is updated but it aggregates time/temp and links to the recipes from a bunch of sites.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

No Wave posted:

THANK you! I used google a lot and couldn't find a place like this.

Most of the Whole Foods dry-aged beef I've seen isn't grass-fed. I'm certainly not above eating it, I'm just on a grass-fed thing recently.

If they do grass-fed right it can make a big difference. Since we raise our own we get to play around with the whole process and see the results. A lot of growers seems to slaughter the animals to early, same time they would if they were fed out on grain. If you let them go another six months or so on grass they fatten up a bit and the meat is not as lean, and it is easier to cook as it is not as finicky as the very lean grass-fed stuff you get in most stores.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
did you guys recommend a plastic container for the sous vide? Remember reading something here but can't see it going through the thread - clearly going blind.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably a Cambro or anything else that can be confirmed food safe.

edit: VVV oh yeah, a beer cooler is good too

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 6, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

powertoiletduck posted:

did you guys recommend a plastic container for the sous vide? Remember reading something here but can't see it going through the thread - clearly going blind.
I like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-1-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E

I'm not as hardcore about thermal insulation as a lot of people here, though. Technically a cooler would be better but this is the setup I saw in restaurants. It keeps its heat better than you'd think, and much better than a pot does.

I'm a total dumbass so I just cut a hole in the matching lid with the dremel equivalent I had (breaking a few blades in the process, I'd never used one before).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just leave the lid off, but I haven't vizzled for more than a few hours with my Sansaire.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I just leave the lid off, but I haven't vizzled for more than a few hours with my Sansaire.
I often leave it filled with water (but without the vizzler attached) and the lid has saved me from multiple instances of dropping poo poo into it.

The water does get gross, though, especially after longer cooks. Stuff does leech in and out of the bags (probably obvious to some, but not me) even if you double-bag (which I do for long cooks), which is why you need the container to be food-safe plastic.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just got a cheap coleman cooler and cut an anova-shaped hole in the lid - it keeps the heat in nicely and minimizes loss over long cooks. Cambros look more pro, but I have no idea why anyone would pick one of those over a cooler - they're more money and less insulation.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have a Cambro and dremelled a sansaire shaped hole in the lid. Works just fine. I am 36 hours into 72 hour short rib land.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have a Cambro and dremelled a sansaire shaped hole in the lid. Works just fine. I am 36 hours into 72 hour short rib land.
These are second only to the beef cheeks

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

These are second only to the beef cheeks

I am following the modernist cuisine recipe. Should be really good. Someone at my butcher joked that they didn't know they carried Kobe beef ribs. They were that marbled and delicious looking. They even double bagged them with a little stock for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Looks good - out of curiosity, what's the grate for on the bottom of your water?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can you post another picture or two of your cambro setup?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

No Wave posted:

Looks good - out of curiosity, what's the grate for on the bottom of your water?

My guess would be for better circulation.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

a foolish pianist posted:

I just got a cheap coleman cooler and cut an anova-shaped hole in the lid - it keeps the heat in nicely and minimizes loss over long cooks. Cambros look more pro, but I have no idea why anyone would pick one of those over a cooler - they're more money and less insulation.

The cooler takes up a bunch more counter space for the volume and some cheap coolers warp like they are melting when you do vegetables at 180F+. The insulation is nice though but my circulator doesn't use much power. The cambro is also less space to store and I use it to transport the sous vide setup in and store it between cooks.

And I got the 4.75 gallon for $20.

dotster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 6, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

geetee posted:

My guess would be for better circulation.

Yes, this. It works.

Random Hero posted:

Can you post another picture or two of your cambro setup?

Sure:

Towel to prevent last little space around cutout. Cutting board to help insulate stone counter top.
Ribs stacked Lincoln logs style to make sure to get flow throughout container. I had to tie up the bags though,mad the butcher used large bags that impeded water flow.

The grate does enough to get flow all around and I'm not worried about the part of bags that touches the side wall.
These are 48 hours in and bags look to have lots of liquid to help make sauce.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I also have a rolling cart I use for my chamber sealer and it can hold the Cambro and other stuff when not in use. Helps solve the spousal issue of wanting to not have equipment out all the time.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?
Are there any recommendations for water heating elements? I just got a Dorkfood PID and was thinking, instead of using the crockpot I've been using. I've seen some builds with things like Norpro heating elements, pre-built PIDS and pumps to circulate water, which look kind of fun. Most of the immersion elements seem like they burn out pretty quickly, even the Norpro elements, some even after a few hours of prolonged use. I haven't seen any info in the thread relating to that, but I might have missed it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

cheezit posted:

Are there any recommendations for water heating elements? I just got a Dorkfood PID and was thinking, instead of using the crockpot I've been using. I've seen some builds with things like Norpro heating elements, pre-built PIDS and pumps to circulate water, which look kind of fun. Most of the immersion elements seem like they burn out pretty quickly, even the Norpro elements, some even after a few hours of prolonged use. I haven't seen any info in the thread relating to that, but I might have missed it.
Honestly, I'd return it and get one of the $200 puddlers instead. The DorkFood made more sense when the poly pro was the cheapest circulator out there.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

No Wave posted:

Honestly, I'd return it and get one of the $200 puddlers instead. The DorkFood made more sense when the poly pro was the cheapest circulator out there.

Any reason outside of convenience? It could be a fantasy world, but wouldn't ~$20 worth of heating elements and a ~$15 dollar pump do the same thing?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

cheezit posted:

Any reason outside of convenience? It could be a fantasy world, but wouldn't ~$20 worth of heating elements and a ~$15 dollar pump do the same thing?

You need a PID controller, or an arduino and SSR and programming chops. The real magic is the control feedback loop, not the heating element or pump.

e: DERP, didn't see the context of your post.

Honestly, just get the integrated package, most heating elements like that break down very often, the pumps might last longer but finding one that won't break down at higher SV temps is going to be hard (or expensive).

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 6, 2014

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

deimos posted:

You need a PID controller, or an arduino and SSR and programming chops. The real magic is the control feedback loop, not the heating element or pump.

e: DERP, didn't see the context of your post.

Honestly, just get the integrated package, most heating elements like that break down very often, the pumps might last longer but finding one that won't break down at higher SV temps is going to be hard (or expensive).

Right on. I guess I'll just keep with the crock pot for the time being and then possibly upgrade later. I think I was looking to make the DVS into a more permanent solution than it can be.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

cheezit posted:

Right on. I guess I'll just keep with the crock pot for the time being and then possibly upgrade later. I think I was looking to make the DVS into a more permanent solution than it can be.
I thought you had the possibility of returning the DorkFood - if not, nm, someone else will have to chime in as have no experience in the matter.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 6, 2014

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

No Wave posted:

I thought you had the possibility of returning the DorkFood - if not, nm, someone else will have to chime in as have no experience in the matter.

The SVS didn't have a circulating element either and the bottom-heating nature of it apparently renders it somewhat unnecessary. The same may be true of the crock pot, so it may work just fine.

I think I'll just keep with the simple stuff and look into more advanced later. I'm still getting used to all of it. Thank you very much for the advice, though! This thread was a big deciding factor in trying this whole shebang.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
A local "Ethnic" grocery store near me has beef cheeks for an incredible price. What can I do with them SV?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

LTBS posted:

A local "Ethnic" grocery store near me has beef cheeks for an incredible price. What can I do with them SV?
Clean them (cut off the gross parts), season them, optionally sear them on one side, 72 hours at 144 degrees, done

They're by *far* the best thing I've made with a long Sous Vide cook time. Don't know why short ribs became "the thing" while these are around.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

No Wave posted:

Clean them (cut off the gross parts), season them, optionally sear them on one side, 72 hours at 144 degrees, done

They're by *far* the best thing I've made with a long Sous Vide cook time. Don't know why short ribs became "the thing" while these are around.

Same preparation as short ribs as far as after vizzling? Season, sear, reduce bag juices into sauce and serve over something?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

LTBS posted:

Same preparation as short ribs as far as after vizzling? Season, sear, reduce bag juices into sauce and serve over something?
Basically yeah but all my vizzle sauces always suck (clumpy, weird). Vizzled 72 hour beef has so much flavor that it's best with something that creates a flavor contrast - so something acidic. A lemony celery root puree is my go-to.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cheezit posted:

I use a bucket heater like this one to heat my bath since I decided to upgrade from the Norpro elements; I've SV'd 3-4 nights a week for 2 years now and it works great.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

No Wave posted:

Basically yeah but all my vizzle sauces always suck (clumpy, weird). Vizzled 72 hour beef has so much flavor that it's best with something that creates a flavor contrast - so something acidic. A lemony celery root puree is my go-to.

I do a lot of cauliflower purees so I was thinking of making one and squeezing out a good bit of the liquid and trying to fry it up like a piece of polenta.

cheezit
Jan 9, 2004

sleep?

Hed posted:

I use a bucket heater like this one to heat my bath since I decided to upgrade from the Norpro elements; I've SV'd 3-4 nights a week for 2 years now and it works great.

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation! I saw that on Amazon and wasn't sure. Do you use a pump to circulate water, as well? How much water can it heat?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

LTBS posted:

I do a lot of cauliflower purees so I was thinking of making one and squeezing out a good bit of the liquid and trying to fry it up like a piece of polenta.
Up to you - when I have fancy meat I like keeping the meat the firmest texture on the plate.

You'll like them no matter what, they're my favorite meat.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Scott from Sansaire posted a comment that they recommended containers at least 9" tall because that way the unit would sit only on the edge of the container and not on the bottom. The tallest cambro I've been able to find is "only" 8 inches. Anyone seen taller/deeper?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dane posted:

Scott from Sansaire posted a comment that they recommended containers at least 9" tall because that way the unit would sit only on the edge of the container and not on the bottom. The tallest cambro I've been able to find is "only" 8 inches. Anyone seen taller/deeper?
This is the one most people use for vizzling: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189C...keywords=cambro

(9 inches on the dot, which would normally make me want more leeway, but Sansaire was most likely designed to operate with this given its popularity)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

No Wave posted:

This is the one most people use for vizzling: http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189C...keywords=cambro

(9 inches on the dot, which would normally make me want more leeway, but Sansaire was most likely designed to operate with this given its popularity)

Huh, odd. I looked at the Cambro website and couldn't find a Camwear taller than 8" (https://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Pans_and_Lids/Camwear_Food_Pans_and_Lids/10737422653/1033.aspx )

fake edit: ah, I see, it's listed under "Food boxes", I was looking at food pans / gastro sized.

real edit: drat, it seems like they don't sell those here. The only boxes I can find are polypropylene, and that's not good enough for heat. The halfpans etc are the only Cambros sold here that are polycarb, and they don't come in that size.

Dane fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 7, 2014