Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am fairly excited for Knights of Sidonia. Yeah, 3dcg gets a bad rap, but the recent trailers actually make it look... pretty drat good.

Other than that, Ping Pong and One Week Friends look to be like nice enough shows to tide me over since KlK and Log Horizon are ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At the very least it looks a lot better than Arpeggio of Blue Steel, but I still don't like very much.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm not super excited about anything, but Ping Pong and Captain Earth have the potential to be great (Loved Tatami Galaxy, loved Star Driver), and I'll keep an eye out on One Week Friends as well.

captal
Feb 24, 2013

One Week Friends is the only one that's really jumping out at me as something I really want to check out (barring Musishi and JoJo, which I'm pretty obligated to watch). Not really feeling the hype for the ping pong anime at the moment, but maybe that's because I lack the context/appreciation of the manga.

Also definitely going to be watching that live action Kiki's Delivery Service. It seems important.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Can't believe I'm getting excited for an anime about ping pong.

It's going to be rad as hell.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

One Week Friends PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZvQtV2ijHM

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Definitely interested in Mushishi, Jojo, and One-Week Friends. The first two are all but guaranteed to be good and the latter has a pretty straight shot at it, I think. The PVs that went up already had some amazing music, too.

I'll also be checking out that bunny cafe show (no, not that kind of bunny cafe) because it's by White Fox and sounds like it could be cute. Beyond that, just whatever else catches my attention, really.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I'm definitely putting this on my list. The trailer gave me Usagi Drop vibes, even though the premise is pretty different. Maybe it's the visuals?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Xythar posted:

I'll also be checking out that bunny cafe show (no, not that kind of bunny cafe) because it's by White Fox and sounds like it could be cute. Beyond that, just whatever else catches my attention, really.
Be cautious about choosing shows by studios. The more important issue is to look at the main staff (Director/Series Composition/Chief Animation Director). The Director for this show is Hiroyuki Hashimoto in his first production as director. He's directed several episodes of different series ranging from 3 episodes of Angel Beats, an episode of Ben-to, an episode of Maou-sama, and an episode of Sonico. The Series Composer is Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, who composed the Hajime no Ippo series, Magical War from this season, and Ben-to. The Chief AD is Yousuke Okuda in his first job as Chief AD, which may not bode well since he's not had a lot of experience as an AD. This is throwing up some warning messages in my view. If you're thinking the same staff from Steins;Gate and Maou-sama are on this, you're incorrect.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
There sure is a lot of shows for this season, unfortunately most don't seem too interesting to me. Looks like I'll be checking out the bolded shows in the list and then rely on this thread for any unexpected hits to turn up I guess.

Didn't think the Puchimas: Petite Idolmaster was popular enough to have a sequel. While I liked the 4-koma manga enough, the tv series was ordinary at best. I guess they must be making it as marketing to sell more of the manga.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

ultimatemegax posted:

Be cautious about choosing shows by studios. The more important issue is to look at the main staff (Director/Series Composition/Chief Animation Director). The Director for this show is Hiroyuki Hashimoto in his first production as director. He's directed several episodes of different series ranging from 3 episodes of Angel Beats, an episode of Ben-to, an episode of Maou-sama, and an episode of Sonico. The Series Composer is Kazuyuki Fudeyasu, who composed the Hajime no Ippo series, Magical War from this season, and Ben-to. The Chief AD is Yousuke Okuda in his first job as Chief AD, which may not bode well since he's not had a lot of experience as an AD. This is throwing up some warning messages in my view. If you're thinking the same staff from Steins;Gate and Maou-sama are on this, you're incorrect.

Yeah, I had a look at the staff. The only one who seemed particularly noteworthy was Fudeyasu (especially since he composed Muromi-san, which I liked quite a lot) but White Fox have only done one bad show so far (in my opinion) so I'm willing to check it out based on that. They're up there with PA Works for the most consistently good studio in my book.

If they end up making two bad shows in a row I may have to revise that, of course, but no harm in taking a look.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season - My most anticipated show of the season. Nico nico ni!

One Week Friends - Everything I've seen so far makes it look like something I would really enjoy.

Even So, The World is Beautiful - Fantasy shoujo romance? Yes, please! I really hope this lives up to my expectations.

No Game No Life - It's pretty and I have a weakness for otaku characters and meta stuff.

Is the Order a Rabbit? - Runs in Manga Time Kirara Max, along with Kin-iro Mosaic (the MTKrr family is home to many good slice-of-life manga with anime adaptions. Hidamari, K-ON!, Achhi Kocchi, A-Channel...)

selector infected WIXOSS - I want to know what's going on with that trailer.

Nanana's Buried Treasure - The animation is nice and Noitamina shows are good more often than not.

Lady Jewelpet - I've never followed the franchise, but I thought I'd give this a try. It sounds like a solid magical girl anime.

Mekaku City Actors - Curious what Shaft can pull off with the premise.

Ping Pong the Animation - It comes highly-recommended, and I enjoy a good character drama.

If She Triggers a Flag - Like I was saying, I've got a weakness for meta jokes. Could be a guilty pleasure, if it doesn't get too fanservicey.

Captain Earth - Mecha isn't really my thing, but I'm a huge fan of the writer and director.

Magica Wars - Only because I give all magical girls a shot. Doubt it'll be good, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna be watching:

Jojo: It's loving Jojo.

Soul Eater NOT: Zorak mentioned on Anime Dissection that this might be good for people who enjoyed the setting of Soul Eater. Yo, setting of Soul Eater loving ROCKS let's slice some life with weapon buddies!

Ping Pong: Now that Tatami Galaxy is on my top 5 list, I think I'm obliged to watch Yuasa now.

That's it! Nothing else is really that interesting to me!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zorak posted:

03/01 Young Animators Training Project - Anime Mirai 2014
The 2014 edition of the Japanese Government's thing where they pay animators to produce some artsy and interesting / unique anime. There's usually some really interesting shorts out of these. Hopefully they'll end up on DVD/BD soon. Trailer.
Will these end up online at some point? I know Little Witch Academia was on Crunchyroll but I don't know if that was a special case or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

Soul Eater NOT: Zorak mentioned on Anime Dissection that this might be good for people who enjoyed the setting of Soul Eater. Yo, setting of Soul Eater loving ROCKS let's slice some life with weapon buddies!

I'm not going to watch it but I hope it does really well and justifies Soul Eater: Brotherhood down the line.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Will these end up online at some point? I know Little Witch Academia was on Crunchyroll but I don't know if that was a special case or not.

They'll end up online in some format or another eventually, yes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't realize that site existed until you mention it: http://animationdissection.libsyn.com/ Looks interesting; I'm surprised Zorak hasn't publicized it more.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Bah, when are they going to make another season of Skip Beat. :(

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't realize that site existed until you mention it: http://animationdissection.libsyn.com/ Looks interesting; I'm surprised Zorak hasn't publicized it more.

I mentioned it in passing on the last page; I just didn't want to be overly obnoxious with it.

For those who missed it, then: I did a podcast with my animator pal Neeksy where we do a preview of this upcoming season; it's mostly us reading the summary in the OP and talking about it a few hours. Also we talk Miyazaki and the anime industry because why not.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

genki posted:

Bah, when are they going to make another season of Skip Beat. :(
I enjoyed most of Skip Beat until the last story arc that felt like the fun was starting to deflate from the balloon. They probably ducked out at a good time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm definitely watching Mushishi and Knights of Sidonia. Will probably check out ping pong anime but it's still on the maybe pile until I see some of it. Also on the "might watch" list are Kindaichi R, Matsutarou, One Week Friends (I had kinda passed on the manga but I'll give it a shot I guess), and very tentatively Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably check out Broken Blade(the official 'Break Blade' site has that title under the logo) and Atelier but get roped in to several others.

Atelier in particular might be interesting to watch. I'm getting the game next week and it seemed to have a sky pirates vibe to it based off of the launch trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j68KmxyAMdE

Noragami fell under the radar for me this season, so i'll probably check that out too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I know I harped on about it in the OP but seriously:

watch mushi-shi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_1OdsSvKI&hd=1
Dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOPWPUnyQU&hd=1
Dub

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 5, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I havent seen that much anime in total and have a huge backlog of stuff Im trying to watch so I rarely catch anything new as it comes out (I think the only anime Ive followed as it was coming out is space dandy) but I always enjoy reading the OP of these threads and seeing what weird poo poo is airing.

The one that sticks in my mind as the strangest is from a few years ago, an anime about a guy that had a bunch of magical cans of soda that turned into women and he had to give them CO2 by kissing them. Anyway I will watch Mushishi at some point because it looks awesome, and I'm watching the first season of JoJo's at the moment so will check out this upcoming season when I get caught up.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Not a lot of stuff I'm really anticipating this season, only JoJo and Knights of Sidonia. Coffin Princess and Captain Earth sound like they might be worth a try, the first season of Love Live wasn't terrible so I'll probably watch it too.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
So far Soul Eater Not! and Captain Earth seem to be standouts.

I need to get off my rear end and catch up on Jojo. Seriously what is wrong with me for not finishing it?

Also not surprised Studio DEEN is still milking Sekai-Ichi Hatsukoi. Gotta keep cornering that BL market.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
We Are All Pathetic - It'll be terrible, but I kinda want to at least check it out because I like a few of the VAs. I don't expect to make it past the first episode.

One Week Friends - Good staff, and it sounds like I'd enjoy it.

Mekaku City Actors - I always like to check out what Shaft is up to. I think there's only been one show/series they've done that I've actively disliked.

MagicalDuck posted:

Is the Order a Rabbit? - Runs in Manga Time Kirara Max, along with Kin-iro Mosaic (the MTKrr family is home to many good slice-of-life manga with anime adaptions. Hidamari, K-ON!, Achhi Kocchi, A-Channel...)
I'm down with this.

Mushishi - Second Season - The delicious main course after the OVA appetizer.

GJ-Bu @ - The first season was a highlight of last winter, so getting more of it will be great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm sort of under the impression that Mekaku City Actors is fujoshi bait. My deepest hope is that it ends up being the SHAFT equivalent of Free!.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Jojo and Mushishi are guaranteed slots that I'll keep up on. Everything else is just wait and see for me, though hopefully Ping Pong and Captain Earth should be fun. Chaika the Coffin Princess I'll probably watch out of the hopes it'll be good like Scrapped Princess was. I'm vaguely intrigued by No Game No Life so I'll probably give that a shot as well. Was Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo actually good? I've had classmates rave to me about it and apparently it's relatively well-liked on the internet.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Zorak posted:

April Storm Cloud Restoration Dai Shogun (Fuuun Ishin Dai?Shogun)
In the late Edo period, Japan had experienced an unprecedented crisis by Kurofune (Black Ships), the ships from foreign countries. But a giant robot called Onigami, which has existed since ancient time, dispelled the Kurofune ships and the exclusion of foreigners was accomplished. The story begins in Japan where Meiji restoration in 1868 didn't happen. The tagline says, "I can be the greatest man in the world, because I am a virgin!!" 'Nuff said.

Someone let those crazy right-wing dudes in speaker-vans make an anime, didn't they?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kdrama.com/en/signup_crunchyroll

Apparently if you are a premium crunchyroll user you can get into a Korean Drama site beta right now. Not anime, but probably worth mentioning since lots of you probably have a subscription already.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dehry posted:

https://www.kdrama.com/en/signup_crunchyroll

Apparently if you are a premium crunchyroll user you can get into a Korean Drama site beta right now. Not anime, but probably worth mentioning since lots of you probably have a subscription already.

...yeah, I can sorta see why they would branch out to there, it makes sense. I presume they're going to dump their current drama lineup there and make Crunchyroll 100% drawn.

[Edit] And lo, they flat out give me a 403, site not available in the region.

In other news, last call for the Mai Mai Miracle kickstarter. You've got 38 hours left to put your money down.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Allarion posted:

Was Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo actually good? I've had classmates rave to me about it and apparently it's relatively well-liked on the internet.

A very run-of-the-mill anime adaptation of a Light Novel by J.C. Staff with (surprise!) a Tsundere character somewhere within the Main Character ratio.

The 3 main characters were all incredibly boring, and yes: This includes the girl whose appeal is that she can't take care of her daily needs, because she's special. It kinda pissed me off that they opted to sugarcoat in the fact and didn't come straight out and say what her "deal" was, even though it was so bleedingly obvious. Some of the side characters were interesting and there were moments where it was obviously looking like something out of Toradora! (a much better show), especially how there was an actual spark in character relationships at times. Also, it was hilarious to listen to Takahiro Sakurai play two very different characters in two very different shows (this and Psycho-Pass) and how his character was much better written here.

So, to answer your question: A pretty average show with a few redeeming traits. If you have nothing else to watch, knock yourself out, I guess.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I liked how Sakurasou started off with generic harem romcom hijinks only to drop everything, invert the premise, and turn serious pretty quickly. It was the good kind of bait-and-switch and I was glad I stuck with the show past the first couple of episodes.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Xythar posted:

I liked how Sakurasou started off with generic harem romcom hijinks only to drop everything, invert the premise, and turn serious pretty quickly. It was the good kind of bait-and-switch and I was glad I stuck with the show past the first couple of episodes.
I disagree. They were a generic harem romcom, then started to get serious, but managed to make it a serious romcom cliche, which just made it super annoying, especially since none of the characters really had any redeeming character qualities. There was just no reason to watch, especially after the comedy side disappeared. Terrible show.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

genki posted:

I disagree. They were a generic harem romcom, then started to get serious, but managed to make it a serious romcom cliche, which just made it super annoying, especially since none of the characters really had any redeeming character qualities. There was just no reason to watch, especially after the comedy side disappeared. Terrible show.

Agree with this assessment. But then again this assessment describes a lot of other anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm sort of under the impression that Mekaku City Actors is fujoshi bait. My deepest hope is that it ends up being the SHAFT equivalent of Free!.
Eh, not really? The videos have a decent female fanbase but there's nothing really yaoi-y about it in and of itself, and there's a decent number of female characters so it's not a free situation where there's seven dudes and like one girl who actually matters.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

New Ping Pong CM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaDOZkLMSs

Very Yuasa.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Is this going to be entirely in mandarin? That would be an interesting thing to do with an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ok, ping pong anime is on my list now. I like the style very much.

• Locked thread