Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

atomicthumbs posted:

If you like just driving around, check out BeamNG Drive; it's a car simulator, meaning it physically simulates the entire car; total physically simulated deformation when it crashes, chassis flex, break the suspension by driving over a bump, remove the suspension and drive it over bumps, drive a hatchback into the back of a panel van, then drive the panel van into the back of a box truck, then drive the box truck around, et cetera. It's definitely best with a wheel.

Oh my god that looks awesome, thank you!

Also, one thing that I was thinking about last night while playing GT5: I would kill for a way to simulate the "feel" of driving a car. Like sure there's force feedback in the wheel itself, but that's reeeeally lacking. I wish there was some way to feel the shift in weight when braking / cornering, feel the bumps in the road, feel it when you lose traction, etc. You make a simulating chair like that to go with GT5/ GT6 / BeamNG / whatever, and I would give it some serious thought [and never, ever be able to afford it, I'm sure]. I see a lot of "cockpits" and seat rigs that are just meant to attach wheels [and sometimes TVs] to, but nothing with any kind of physical feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
We have three of these bad boys at work, sitting there untouched for about ten years:

Not identical to the model pictured, but it's the only decent pic I could find on the net. They're cathode ray tube film recorders, which in our case were used to expose 35mm movie film from digital images at up to 4k resolution, (usually 2k) by mounting a 35mm film camera on the top pointing down into the device. There's no phosphor raster, the screen is black and white, and color is attained by exposing three times through red, green and blue filters. The whole process of exposing a single frame of film with the device took nearly a minute, and the machines were made obsolete when Arri came out with their Arrilaser system, which only took a couple of seconds to expose a frame with red, green and blue all at once. They were then made super-duper-extra-obsolete by the dawn of digital cinema, which eliminated the need for film completely.

snorch has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Feb 9, 2014

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

snorch posted:

We have three of these bad boys at work, sitting there untouched for about ten years:

Not identical to the model pictured, but it's the only decent pic I could find on the net. They're cathode ray tube film recorders, which in our case were used to expose 32mm movie film from digital images at up to 4k resolution, (usually 2k) by mounting a 32mm film camera on the top pointing down into the device. There's no phosphor raster, the screen is black and white, and color is attained by exposing three times through red, green and blue filters. The whole process of exposing a single frame of film with the device took nearly a minute, and the machines were made obsolete when Arri came out with their Arrilaser system, which only took a couple of seconds to expose a frame with red, green and blue all at once. They were then made super-duper-extra-obsolete by the dawn of digital cinema, which eliminated the need for film completely.
Question: Do you mean 35mm when you say 32mm? Only because I'm not aware of a 32mm format and I had a client asking about it recently and it threw me right off. Figured it might be a nationality thing since the film industry loves flipping its terminology for different countries.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
It's almost certainly a typo, but from memory there was some 35mm projectors in England designed to comfortable run both 35mm and 32mm film. They shaved 3mm off of one side of the print to get around paying patents or something.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Speaking of the flight sim talk there is a more recent A10 simulator whee all of the switches and controls in the cockpit are modeled. Someone started a game without reading the manual and tried to fly the plane. Recorded the whole thing. It's several hours of ranting and frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIl1U6js9KE

It's pretty funny.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Smiling Jack posted:

Christ, I forget which sin it was but there was an option to output the radar display to a second monitor for people who liked to build their own cockpits.

The golden age of sims was the mid to late 1990s. Falcon 3.0 with add one, M1TP2, F-14 Fleet Defender Gold, European Air War.

My introduction to PC gaming - hell, any kind of electronic/video gaming - was heavy flight sims.
I started with Gunship, Fighter Bomber, and the original Falcon. Then on to Gunship 2000, which I continued to play over many many years, gradually increasing all difficulty options until I completed all possible campaigns in all locations - including the Fire & Ice expansion - on most realistic settings. Years later, when I happened to watch Nic Cage's Firebirds, I realized that a lot of the cut scenes and menu pictures in GS2000 were lifted straight from that movie.
I loved the copy protection scheme in GS2000. Before the first mission would start, you had to fumble with some cockpit radio dials and switches and set it to some answer out of the thick manual.
Opening scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8UfictkQ8
I was so freaking excited for Strike Commander to come out. For those who don't know, it was a highly anticipated flight sim from Origin/Chris Roberts who were one of the super heavies back then in Games. Ultima and Wing Commander was their stuff. Strike Commander was probably the first game that was announced and then delayed year after year. The graphics shown in early announcements were unheard of back then. By the time it came out, it required a 486 to run well. Unfortunately, it was not a very good sim. Sort of a Wing Commander on Earth.
Another favorite of mine was Tornado. Probably not very popular in the US, but it had decent success in Germany. I still have the game on my bookshelf. It wasn't a terribly exciting simulator, it was more of a calming procedural exercise for someone with bad OCD. I guess that fits me.
I also played Apache and Hind, both games that were essentially the same as Tornado. Same company, same engine, almost the same box and manual design.
Hundreds of hours on Falcon 4.0 when it finally came out, long-awaited, in 1998/1999. I thought that the high tech flight sticks and throttle controls of that time were obsolete and failed tech of the 90's, but you can still buy them.
In the early 90's, you could really only get your run-of-the-mill arcade joystick. There was only ONE name for flight sims - the almighty Thrustmaster. I think it was a couple hundred bucks back then for the flight stick, the throttle system, and the pedals. In the mid-90's, the CH Flightstick came out and I bought it because I was too poor to afford the Thrustmaster.
Sometime in the late 90's I bought a very nice flight control system that I used for Falcon 4.0 and the Longbow sims from Jane's.
That's about when I stopped playing. Started college, started working, got married, had kids - no time for those kind of sims. But I miss it. Those were great games and they are what I will always remember as the Golden Age of PC gaming.
To this day I remember the big names of back then. Microprose, Spectrum Holobyte, Digital Integration, Origin, Andy Hollis, Gilman Louie, Bill Stealie.

PS: The flight control hardware available today is mind boggling. MFD's with working buttons!

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Feb 9, 2014

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

It's almost certainly a typo, but from memory there was some 35mm projectors in England designed to comfortable run both 35mm and 32mm film. They shaved 3mm off of one side of the print to get around paying patents or something.

Yeah it's a typo, hung over, my bad.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Code Jockey posted:

Also, one thing that I was thinking about last night while playing GT5: I would kill for a way to simulate the "feel" of driving a car. Like sure there's force feedback in the wheel itself, but that's reeeeally lacking. I wish there was some way to feel the shift in weight when braking / cornering, feel the bumps in the road, feel it when you lose traction, etc. You make a simulating chair like that to go with GT5/ GT6 / BeamNG / whatever, and I would give it some serious thought [and never, ever be able to afford it, I'm sure]. I see a lot of "cockpits" and seat rigs that are just meant to attach wheels [and sometimes TVs] to, but nothing with any kind of physical feedback.

This is why, despite the Dreamcast version being arcade perfect, nothing can beat Hyrdro Thunder in the actual arcades.

Edit: Forza's head tracking is pretty awesome on the Kinect, and if we could get that in a Xbox One game with a steel battalion like controller I would actually buy the XB1.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Feb 9, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zero One posted:

It's pretty funny.
I'm sitting here screaming at my monitor because the guy has no short term memory at all. "APU power on.. where's that.. *starts fiddling with the radio*" Damnit, you were playing with that button twenty seconds ago! :downs:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Back in my hardcore nerd days, my brother & I would spend countless hours logging flight time in Jane's ATF Gold.

We got good enough to join a virtual flight squad and eventually everyone migrated to Jane's Fighters Anthology. Once we all had that, our squad used to play competition matches against other teams. It got to the point to where we were top-ranked in Jane's and only one other team was on our level; unfortunately I can't remember their name or call-sign but they were a bunch of pricks. As time would have it, almost every person on our squad that I keep up with is either a professional pilot or at least holds their pilot's license for small & medium aircraft and flies fairly frequently.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Code Jockey posted:

They exist. The only problem is that they cost $20-25k, which will also put you into an entry-level dedicated track car and cover a couple seasons' worth of track-day expenses. Unless you're really into the idea of simulation for its own sake, you might as well spend the money to go play in a real race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDk1ndGWLQ

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Space Gopher posted:

They exist. The only problem is that they cost $20-25k, which will also put you into an entry-level dedicated track car and cover a couple seasons' worth of track-day expenses. Unless you're really into the idea of simulation for its own sake, you might as well spend the money to go play in a real race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDk1ndGWLQ

Haha that rules, and that comes as no surprise. Yeah, at that kind of price tag, I may as well just actually drive.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jumping in on sim chat.

I know from my perspective, I love taking something I know nothing about and learning how to do it... in this case it might be flying the A-10, or a civilian jet.

Probably 50% or more of the virtual ATC nerds are usually real life ATC guys with no other hobbies, or studying to become one.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
If anyone is interested in owning some obsolete and failed technology themselves, someone in YOSPOS got a job selling stuff sent to electronics recycling and started a thread about it. Caveat: requires reading YOSPOS.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Anybody posted this thing yet? I was just at my parents' house for Christmas and they still have it sitting in a drawer in the living room. My dad got it for me when I was still in high school (I graduated in 1989). This loving thing still works AND it still has the original duracell batteries in it. I opened the back to check the batteries and they are straight up 9-volts with the year 1988 printed on them. I used to love annoying the hell out of everyone with it.

It is neither obsolete nor failed but it's very old and very annoying.

Edit: here's a video of The Revenger in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQT35kF88M

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slappy Pappy has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Feb 13, 2014

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I only remember the keychain sized ones they sold at Spencer Gifts. I can still picture where they were in the store at a mall that's long since been demolished.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Spamtron7000 posted:

Edit: here's a video of The Revenger in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsQT35kF88M

Haha, that bomb drop sound was like a staple of early toys featuring sounds. Nostalgia trip right there.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Spamtron7000 posted:

Anybody posted this thing yet? I was just at my parents' house for Christmas and they still have it sitting in a drawer in the living room. My dad got it for me when I was still in high school (I graduated in 1989). This loving thing still works AND it still has the original duracell batteries in it. I opened the back to check the batteries and they are straight up 9-volts with the year 1988 printed on them. I used to love annoying the hell out of everyone with it.

They had one of these at the thrift store when I went in last week. I may have to go back in and get it now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All three of those noises I've heard in so many other toys. :allears:

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Spamtron7000 posted:

Irritating sound effect bro! :hfive: My brother and I both had got one of these in white growing up, sometime around 1988:

Each pull of the trigger played a different shooting sound, 9 in total including the three on the Revenger, and the 10th pull would play them all one after another in the most irritating 30 seconds of chip sounds possible. My brother still has his on a shelf in his living room, and it still works using the same batteries that it came with. They were built Tonka tough too and even the stickers have hung on all these years with the only sign of their age has been the plastic yellowing some. I can't track down who made them or anything useful on them since the only text on the entire thing is a little sticker saying "made in China".

Nyyen has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Feb 13, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I had some irritating sound toy that was a chunky gauntlet in the shape of a metal hand holding a gun. I think it was called the RoboBlaster.
Inside was a trigger that would cycle through this little spiel each time it was pressed.

"*alarms* "Warning"..."Target approaching"..."lock on target"...*lock on sound*..."fire"....*explosions*...*machine gun fire*"

The additional fun came with the fact this was hooked into a voice modifier that would adjust the speed and "robotic" pitch of the samples, and it could be hooked up into the included headset so you could run around the house talking in a robot voice or be a poor man's Darth Vader.

I held onto the headset as it was handy enough to use for online voice stuff, despite being a horridly sensitive mono only thing that you had to strategically position so that you'd not send every crackly breath down the line.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Nyyen posted:

I can't track down who made them or anything useful on them since the only text on the entire thing is a little sticker saying "made in China".

A quick google image search says it was made by srm entertainment.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Nyyen posted:

Irritating sound effect bro! :hfive: My brother and I both had got one of these in white growing up, sometime around 1988:

Each pull of the trigger played a different shooting sound, 9 in total including the three on the Revenger, and the 10th pull would play them all one after another in the most irritating 30 seconds of chip sounds possible. My brother still has his on a shelf in his living room, and it still works using the same batteries that it came with. They were built Tonka tough too and even the stickers have hung on all these years with the only sign of their age has been the plastic yellowing some. I can't track down who made them or anything useful on them since the only text on the entire thing is a little sticker saying "made in China".

I had that same gun in grey, got it in a fishing contest in bumfuck, nowhere in Norway in the mid 90s. Great fun for 3 days, untill my uncle took it from me and smashed it with a hammer and threw everything into the ocean. Guess he got fed up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My little brother had a remote controlled (via wire) front-end loader. It drove around, lifted and lowered the bucket, and when you pushed buttons on the remote, it would say "DROP IT. DROP IT." or "LIFT IT UP. [BEEEEEP BEEEEEP BEEEEP]." These phrases have become family in-jokes.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

If anyone is interested in owning some obsolete and failed technology themselves, someone in YOSPOS got a job selling stuff sent to electronics recycling and started a thread about it. Caveat: requires reading YOSPOS.

YOSPOS ain't so bad once you get used to it :shobon:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If you're going to talk old as poo poo gadgets that made extremely annoying sounds, there's one king:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNr4-5UCq2I

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, weird. My mom just found one of these (in white) that I had back in like 1992-- it apparently annoyed her so much that she took it from me and put it on top of one of our kitchen cabinets to ensure I wouldn't be able to get at it. Annnnd it stayed there till Nov 2013, when she finally found it again and gave it back to me. The original batteries somehow still work, even. It's insane.

And yeah, the thing is crazy irritating. It even vibrates/rattles loudly as it emits the noises..

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spamtron7000 posted:

My dad had one of these velcro'd to the dashboard in his car.

EDIT:
The one my dad had, had 4 buttons, but I really cannot recall what the other sound was right now.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had an used one that I picked up for $100 off eBay (retailed for $4000 originally). Really cool hardware, but it always felt more like a proof of concept than an evolutionary design. And a bitch to install anything on as it had no floppy and no CD-ROM. I can't remember if it had ethernet. I think I may have had to use a PCMCIA card for that.

But that pales in comparison to the Canon NoteJet:

A laptop with a printer under the keyboard!

Dammit! I read this entire thread in hopes this hadn't come up yet, but there it is. A completely pain in the rear end laptop.

The Canon BN22, I had one, and hated it:

LONG POST WARNING

A few other things I remember from days gone by:

The StarFox game watch:

Spamtron7000 posted:

I had a Robocop action figure that had maybe 8 buttons on the back that made various noises. Those three were present. Also if you pushed certain combinations of buttons it would tweak out and actually play a sound assigned to a completely different button. No pictures of this unfortunately.

Also when i was in grade school the Commonwealth bank had a kids banking program where you brought in your swanky yellow bank book with money your parents put in it and it got deposited (I had a separate allowance/chores money for my other lovely purchases):

Fast Forward a few years and half way through highschool I ended up getting myself an EFTPOS card linked to it 'for emergency purchases' and immediately spent the majority of my childhood forced savings on this bad boy:

D Music Pine 32MB MP3 player that connected via Parallel port and also acted as a generic portable storage device:

I even splurged on the 32MB additional Smart Media card. It wouldn't work with the 64MB varieties. I was well chuffed with the purchase, but my parents went insane at the waste of money. (I want to say $400 at the time)

This program was a mainstay of my Ipex Pentium 75 with 16MB(?) of RAM and Napster/Audiogalaxy/Soulseek:

A friend had a similar air mouses back in school and swore it made him awesome at Descent and Fury 3D:

My father had a car phone in his work truck but as a builder the phone would always ring when he was up scaffolding so went all out and got a OKI (yes THOSE OKIs that certain people had lots of fun with, as did I when I got a little older).

As I was an ultra nerd I got myself one of these babies in school so I could email on the run!

The Pocketmail:

No cellular network or anything, just an acoustic coupler type deal so you could email from a payphone:

My first mobile phone was the Ericsson A1018s:

No games, 10 SMSs storage including sent messages.

I had that thing right up until I joined the army and on my first day out of the base I spent $1300 on this piece of futuristic technology:

Ericsson T68i - Right on the cusp of the Sony/Ericsson partner.

I also had that chatboard and the camera, I had the Bluetooth USB dongle that cost $300 at time too. Having a colour screen phone was pretty impressive for the day too.

They even tweaked it a little the next year as a SE product T68mei or something - firmwares were interchangeable and even had secret games! The Telstra store hated me because I had them send my phone to Ericsson to get whatever new firmware I read about on esato.com.

A few weeks later I needed something to listen to music on so I got a Nokia 5510 (sidetalkin' NGage's father):

Essentially a 3310 in a different housing, 64MB of space, QWERTY board, USB and line in to digitize from my discman.

This was also a fun little overpriced gadget for every Sony Ericsson fanboy (like me at the time):

Bluetooth RC car that you control from your phone and charges by plugging into your phone.

My first smartphone was the SE P910i and gee I loved it.

Touchscreen, the scrollwheel on the left was awesome for navigating the silly Symbian OS and the external memory had a max of 1GB MS Pro Duo cards which cost me about $500 at the time. I distinctly remember watching 'The Machinist' on it during a work conference. And VRally (pictured above) was epic to play at the time (Doom too).

I recently decided to get into buying random old videogame consoles that and my god the Powerglove really really is bad.

Want to stay in shape and play games at the same time? Strap on the Martial Beat peripherals for PS1:

And look like a dork copying the game movements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAqvUKnvRE8

Can only find footage from the second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkrZJutopcw

For Train Porn, Australia is still fazing out Semaphore signals (but as per the rail system in itself - nothing is obsolete, just upgraded when no spares are left).

It's all now 3 colour aspect signals/approach beacons/warning beacons/repeat signals and even those are now upgrading to LEDs as the lens lights were focused to a certain distance so drivers could clearly see signals kms away. This may all be flase for inner city, but the cross country and mineral areas its true.

They even sold a bridge to a scrap steel buyer, and a week later a sister bridge failed and the cost in re-engineering and rebuilding was too expensive, so they brought back the old bridge from the scrap dealer and hugely inflated prices. Easiest $$$ they guy ever made - it wasn't even broken down into pieces for removal yet.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nyyen posted:

I think I had one really similar to this. But I also had 2 or 3 other toys with the exact same sound effects, only with slightly different tones or whatever (or maybe just lovely distortion, i forget).

Haven't been able to track done the crappy chinese sound chip all these things used, though.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Humphreys posted:

Also when i was in grade school the Commonwealth bank had a kids banking program where you brought in your swanky yellow bank book with money your parents put in it and it got deposited (I had a separate allowance/chores money for my other lovely purchases):

Here in NZ, ASB Bank (now owned by Commonwealth AU coincidentally) still run this programme. Even now that switching banks is easy and common, many people I know still keep the same ASB account that they have had since they started school at 5 years old. Hell I still remember my account number and mine got closed down 15+ years ago.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

kris_b posted:

Here in NZ, ASB Bank (now owned by Commonwealth AU coincidentally) still run this programme. Even now that switching banks is easy and common, many people I know still keep the same ASB account that they have had since they started school at 5 years old. Hell I still remember my account number and mine got closed down 15+ years ago.

I still have that exact same account number and I'm in my thirties. The look tellers give me is priceless when I recite it and it's obviously 'dollarmite' numbering system from back in the day .

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had the Chatboard for my T39 and it's the worst piece of hardware ever. It wasn't actually a proper keyboard, instead it simulated presses on the number pad meaning if you pressed 'S' on the chatboard it sent 4 impulses of '7' to the phone. :pseudo: It meant that even if you could type fairly quickly on the lovely little rubber keys it was easy to out-pace the phone and have it miss letters.

I also had the bluetooth car, which was fun to play with for all of five minutes. Fortunately I got it for free.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Humphreys posted:

D Music Pine 32MB MP3 player that connected via Parallel port and also acted as a generic portable storage device:

I even splurged on the 32MB additional Smart Media card. It wouldn't work with the 64MB varieties. I was well chuffed with the purchase, but my parents went insane at the waste of money. (I want to say $400 at the time)

These were a little bit before my time, so I'm sort of wondering what the point of them even was. I know it was just a status symbol and that the only practical use was to wow people with how fancy it was, but poo poo, could that thing even hold a single album on it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wanamingo posted:

These were a little bit before my time, so I'm sort of wondering what the point of them even was. I know it was just a status symbol and that the only practical use was to wow people with how fancy it was, but poo poo, could that thing even hold a single album on it?
I had a Diamond Rio PMP300 with 32MB of storage. It took about 8 128kbps songs, if they weren't too long. Free codecs were just terrible at bitrates lower than that.

Apart from the novelty value, the appeal to me was that it had noticably better sound quality than a cassette walkman, but wasn't susceptible to shaking or shocks, like a discman would be. Discmen weren't actually useable on a bike back then. Putting new songs on there, even through the parallel port, was slightly more convenient than putting new stuff on a Minidisc, that didn't allow file transfer at the time but required you to record them (starting and stopping the recorder manually for each track if you didn't have a cd player or computer with an optical cable). It was also way lighter than the portable Minidisc recorder/player I had.

So despite having most of the alternatives of that age, I used the mp3 player quite a bit during the short period that it wasn't obsoleted by some other model. I lived about 3km from school and wearing headphones while you were at school was not done, so the short playback time wasn't as big an issue as you'd expect.

That, and, you know, living in the future and all.

It was roughly a year or two when there were all those exciting new developments in portable music devices where you didn't know which way it was all going to go. Minidisc? Philips' Digital Cassettes? MP3s? And it was an exciting idea to be part of the vanguard of whichever team you felt offered the most quality and convenience wise.

Mp3 was a completely new concept at the time in the sense that you wouldn't need to keep buying additional physical disks/discs/cassettes all the time for your portable player in addition to the cds you had at home. You could also just pick out your favorite songs and compile them into a playlist on the fly instead of being stuck with fixed selection and order albums/compilation cds. That was a Big Thing. I liked that. It's hard to imagine a world now where that isn't self evident.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

No tapes, and no bulky CD walkman to lug around, essentially small enough to fit in my pocket. It really was hard deciding which songs to not transfer.

I also went with Minidisc (NetMD one) because well damnit, that kid in the Bom Funk Mcee's video was rocking it hard. I do remember calling bullshit on the BT song 'Never gonna come back down' though; "Bullshit the songs will load that fast!"

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Humphreys posted:

My first smartphone was the SE P910i and gee I loved it.

Hey Symbian maybe but that poo poo was about 5 years ahead of its time!

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

Daimo posted:

Hey Symbian maybe but that poo poo was about 5 years ahead of its time!

I vaguely remember there were TomTom or similar DUO PRO cards that actually had a GPS receiver in them for it. Also some enterprising coder found a way around the 1GB file limit of the regular DUO PRO cards, but the trade off was no bluetooth or something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flipperwaldt posted:

I had a Diamond Rio PMP300 with 32MB of storage. It took about 8 128kbps songs, if they weren't too long. Free codecs were just terrible at bitrates lower than that.

Apart from the novelty value, the appeal to me was that it had noticably better sound quality than a cassette walkman, but wasn't susceptible to shaking or shocks, like a discman would be. Discmen weren't actually useable on a bike back then. Putting new songs on there, even through the parallel port, was slightly more convenient than putting new stuff on a Minidisc, that didn't allow file transfer at the time but required you to record them (starting and stopping the recorder manually for each track if you didn't have a cd player or computer with an optical cable). It was also way lighter than the portable Minidisc recorder/player I had.

So despite having most of the alternatives of that age, I used the mp3 player quite a bit during the short period that it wasn't obsoleted by some other model. I lived about 3km from school and wearing headphones while you were at school was not done, so the short playback time wasn't as big an issue as you'd expect.

That, and, you know, living in the future and all.

It was roughly a year or two when there were all those exciting new developments in portable music devices where you didn't know which way it was all going to go. Minidisc? Philips' Digital Cassettes? MP3s? And it was an exciting idea to be part of the vanguard of whichever team you felt offered the most quality and convenience wise.

Mp3 was a completely new concept at the time in the sense that you wouldn't need to keep buying additional physical disks/discs/cassettes all the time for your portable player in addition to the cds you had at home. You could also just pick out your favorite songs and compile them into a playlist on the fly instead of being stuck with fixed selection and order albums/compilation cds. That was a Big Thing. I liked that. It's hard to imagine a world now where that isn't self evident.

I had the Pine D'Music pictured in the previous post, expansion card and all, except it was silver. I think I still have it somehere in a box in my closet. I bought it because I went snowboarding like every other day back then, and I wanted to listen to something while doing it. Motorhead's Bomber was always a good song for starting that first run in the morning.

EDIT:

Wanamingo posted:

Felt like answering this one. I wouldn't say that these things were pointless, it was a few more years before the iPod was invented. Questioning an old MP3 Player's usefulness ~13 years later is like questioning the usefullness of Smart Phones 13 years from now when we're all using Google Implants.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Mar 6, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Felt like answering this one. I wouldn't say that these things were pointless, it was a few more years before the iPod was invented. Questioning an old MP3 Player's usefulness ~13 years later is like questioning the usefullness of Smart Phones 13 years from now when we're all using Google Implants.

But it goes to show just how mind boggling those next generation MP3 players were. You went from flash based space measured in mb to gigs of room on a hard drive.

But my goodness we wasted our money back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

But it goes to show just how mind boggling those next generation MP3 players were. You went from flash based space measured in mb to gigs of room on a hard drive.

But my goodness we wasted our money back then.

I think of it as the schoolyard arms race. Before that the biggest one I remember was with marbles. One cheeky bugger brought snooker balls and huge ball bearings. He called them 'super jupiters' and 'stellar steelies' respectively.

The MP3 arms race started with a kid who brought in his tape walkman that was soo drat slim we couldn't believe a standard cassette tape would fit in it. I cannot find pictures, but wow it was amazing. So imagine my smugness bringing an actual real life mp3 player to school. This was the time where in Australia they weren't really known to the point where my science teacher asked for me to do my speech assignment on how they work.

I just bullshited the whole thing and said there was a tiny spinning HDD in it, and the SM cards were floppy discs cut to size.

EDIT:

I remember an aussie kids show called 'Spellbinder' and the main character had a video camera that I think took VHS, but it also had a screen on it to playback tapes. That thing amazed me.

Also, the day I found porno Laser Discs I laughed soo hard. Imagine having to turn the disc over mid way through a session?
Furthermore on LD, a co-worker was having a party and bringing out vinyls to play and drunken showed me what he thought was a record of the Total Recall soundtrack. Nope, Laser Disc. Blew his mind.

Humphreys has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Mar 6, 2014