Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Caesar's Palace is the worst drat track of all time, and nobody wanted to watch cars drive around a glorified Auto-X course in 118 degree heat. It wasn't Bernie that hastened its demise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The France family.

It would be funny if they opened long beach up to bids and NASCAR threw in.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone who wants to host a summertime race in Vegas that is not held at 8pm at night is out of their drat minds.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Bentai posted:

Anyone who wants to host a race is out of their drat minds.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bentai posted:

Anyone who wants to host a summertime race in Vegas that is not held at 8pm at night is out of their drat minds.

Oh c'mon, last time I went to Vegas it was only 115 degrees! What's the problem?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

This is the series doing a double header in houston in June, after all...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://andrettiautosport.com/news/?p=4058

Keep your pants on, Fuzzy.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Awesome.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Just one more person to meet and take a photo with in the garage at Indy. Unfortunately I won't be able to have the photo printed for him to autograph at Belle Isle :geno:

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
GO KURT

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I get the feeling that if Kurt does well, it might inspire others to give it a shot (especially his SHR stablemates).

Big ups to GM for letting him run a Honda, too.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I'm still holding out hope for a 5th Ganassi car for Larson (or Sage Karam would be cool, too).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This pretty loving cool guys, don't you think? Field is loving stacked. Winners in Indy, F1, USAC (Ed counts damnit!), and NASCAR. Champions in those respective series too.

Bhester posted:

I'm still holding out hope for a 5th Ganassi car for Larson (or Sage Karam would be cool, too).

Sage is more likely.

I think he'll be full-time next season, but Ganassi will put him in that ride.

Larson says he's interested, so that's a good sign.

Cygni posted:

I get the feeling that if Kurt does well, it might inspire others to give it a shot (especially his SHR stablemates).

Big ups to GM for letting him run a Honda, too.

You KNOW this has got to have Smoke jealous.

The one trophy I think he wants is the Borg Warner. Foyt taunted him over it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Meh.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
If Panther doesn't go away and we have 2 RLL entries we've already got 27 on the Indy list. An extra Ganassi, SFHR and/or ECR entry and we could have meaningful bumping.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bhester posted:

If Panther doesn't go away and we have 2 RLL entries we've already got 27 on the Indy list. An extra Ganassi, SFHR and/or ECR entry and we could have meaningful bumping.

Lazier is going to be back as well. I think we will end up with 33 cars for 33 spots simply because once that 33rd car is announced, one-off deals get a whole lot harder to sell to sponsors who could potentially miss the race.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Oriol Servia will be in the No. 16 Rahal Letterman Lanigan entry for Long Beach, Barber, and both Indy races (that's still really weird to type). Additional races are possible if funding is secured.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Surprised they didn't add St Pete just to be in the best points position possible to sell to sponsors.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Anyone wanna get in on Jaque Lazier's second attempt at making it into the 500 with a team scraped together from handouts?

http://www.vaildaily.com/news/10456837-113/jaques-racing-indy-team

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He should run with Doobie's Dogs on the sidepods.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"Get Out" frog on the endplates.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

"Get Out" frog on the endplates.

My Dallara already has those :smugdog:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whoa! Didn't expect this one. Jack Hawksworth will be driving for BHA

http://racer.com/index.php/component/content/article/52-indycar/101631-indycar-hawksworth-lands-bryan-herta-autosport-drive

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
efb

This can't be right, a team actually signed a driver that's from Indy Lights?! :confused:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Gotta say, gonna be rooting for Kurt really loving hard come May.

I kinda miss the old rear end in a top hat Kurt, but this new Kurt is way better. Now we just gotta get him in a Pro Stock again. (yes he competed in the NHRA once)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Gotta say, gonna be rooting for Kurt really loving hard come May.

I kinda miss the old rear end in a top hat Kurt, but this new Kurt is way better. Now we just gotta get him in a Pro Stock again. (yes he competed in the NHRA once)

He came close to racing for Davey Hamilton in USAC back in the day Viking.

Said he chose Stock car racing, but said it was close.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
What he's done in the last two years impressed the gently caress out of me, there's literally no one in Cup that I'd rather have in SHR than him.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Going to St. Pete this year. Taking some out our work client people so I get to expense at least part of it.

Enjoyed Baltimore the last 2 years (RIP) was going to do to St. Pete last year but missed out.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.gazettes.com/news/updated-council-may-consider-opening-long-beach-grand-prix-to/article_62b1d212-a0ea-11e3-90fd-001a4bcf887a.html

gently caress off Bernie.

Go find some oil rich middle eastern country that will put up with your bullshit. Leave Long Beach alone.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I hope F1 doesn't come to Long Beach. Not for the obvious reasons, but because if it did that would mean no more support series worth seeing. No more sportscars, no more stadium trucks.

So yeah, gently caress off, Bernie.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There really isn't a need to have 2 US GPS for F1, although Long Beach was an F1 event in the past. In a perfect world both could run there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's not even a need for 1 USGP, honestly.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

There's not even a need for 1 USGP, honestly.

Unless it's at the Glen.

You have to admit, as unlikely as it would be, it'd be amazing to see open wheel cars in October (possibly during the rain and wet) run with the foliage in the background. drat picture-esque.

WindyMan posted:

I hope F1 doesn't come to Long Beach. Not for the obvious reasons, but because if it did that would mean no more support series worth seeing. No more sportscars, no more stadium trucks.

So yeah, gently caress off, Bernie.

That's part of what makes Long Beach cool. It's not so much that Indycar race, but it's how all these awesome support series run it. Even stupid things like the Celebrity race, make it an event.

I've not been to LB (want to some day though), but I've been to Indy races at Mid-Ohio, and I can tell you seeing the "Road to Indy", ALMS and World Challenge series is the ultimate cherry on top. My dad for example, was more :allears: over seeing the Cadillac Race Team there.

Also, the ticket prices for F1 are loving ridiculous. If I was a dad with kids, and this switched to F1? I'd just take them to races at Fontana.

Bernie has no loving clue what North American race fans want.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.gazettes.com/news/updated-council-may-consider-opening-long-beach-grand-prix-to/article_62b1d212-a0ea-11e3-90fd-001a4bcf887a.html

gently caress off Bernie.

Go find some oil rich middle eastern country that will put up with your bullshit. Leave Long Beach alone.

He is trying to get signed on with Azerbaijan so yeah. Only way LBGP becomes and F1 race if it brings in a ton of money from Bernie. It's already established and doesn't need the recognition of F1. Could also be the give us a race or California like in other sports.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Azeri race should be held on those oil platforms that are slowly sinking into the Caspian sea.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sorry Fuzzy, that part of New York gets snow pretty regularly by October.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bernie has no loving clue what North American race fans want.

If he did, he wouldn't even try, because we* sure as gently caress don't want F1.

*that being the we of US race fans, not the loving foamers that post in these threads

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've not been to LB (want to some day though), but I've been to Indy races at Mid-Ohio, and I can tell you seeing the "Road to Indy", ALMS and World Challenge series is the ultimate cherry on top. My dad for example, was more :allears: over seeing the Cadillac Race Team there.

Yeah, my dad wanted to go to Long Beach just to see the Cadillacs, too. Goddamn, the noise those things make.

If F1 took over Long Beach, there'd be two crappy open wheel feeders and a bunch of Porsches that you'd need to pay 5x the price to see. Whoopee.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Sorry Fuzzy, that part of New York gets snow pretty regularly by October.

If he did, he wouldn't even try, because we* sure as gently caress don't want F1.

*that being the we of US race fans, not the loving foamers that post in these threads

Meh. It can certainly be a thing. I argue that the Austin GP is good enough for the time being, and that if the NJ GP ever got off the ground, it would be okay.

But you know...IndyCar, despite all it's problems, despite all the fighting, and every thing else? It's still more popular here than F1 could ever say.

You can have a GP here, maybe even two. They'll do well enough, they'll get people to show up (a good mix of US fans with enough disposable income, and Foreigners on vacation), it'll get covered by NBC and get decent ratings.

That's not enough to satisfy Bernie though.

You, I and the vast majority of US race fans simply can't afford it, thus it's kind of irrelevant towards the average fan. Frankly, with the amount of money that could be spent going to one F1 race weekend, I could spend on not only going to the Indy 500, but a few NASCAR races, and a race at Eldora to see WOO thrown in as well!

Honestly, THAT sounds way more appealing to me. I imagine you'd be very much in agreement as well?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
sub 1.0 is not a good rating even in the age of the internet

and $10 gets me into the local track to see racing better than anything I get on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

FuzzySkinner posted:

Unless it's at the Glen.

You have to admit, as unlikely as it would be, it'd be amazing to see open wheel cars in October (possibly during the rain and wet) run with the foliage in the background. drat picture-esque.

Yes, and the nightlife and action in Monaco doesn't hold a candle to Ithaca...

In any event, F1 would look great at the Glen, but I don't think the infrastructure is there for the whole F1 traveling roadshow.

• Locked thread