Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

^ Link? Also idk, "Imagine-ohs" i guess

Also, Uomoz' VODs are a good source of grit-teeth campaign play.

http://www.twitch.tv/gruntythrst/profile/pastBroadcasts

Apparently twitch ate my second video but there's still two of them. Apologies for the background noise, my mic is hosed up in such a way that it is hyper sensitive and would allow you to hear a pin drop at a thrash metal concert. Waiting for ModMic to get their new 4.0s in stock so I can use my new headphones otherwise I would have replaced the drat thing.

Edit: Also that's all mod gameplay so if I do a tutorial stream it'll be vanilla. Also I use Blackrock ships like exclusively because they own.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Also I use Blackrock ships like exclusively because they own.
Yeah my fleets always tend to be a blend of Blackrock and Tri-Tachyon ships, usually with my flagship being a Nevermore (even when there are capital ships in my fleet)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Thanks for the advice guys, reading both links now... right now I've found the most effective solution to be hovering just out of enemy range in a ship loaded with vulcan cannons, plinking away with longer-ragne guns until their shields drop, then charging their flank, unloading with all five cannons, and hoping I can break them down before they do enough damage to overcharge my shields- is this reasonable, or am I being too direct and aggressive?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, reading both links now... right now I've found the most effective solution to be hovering just out of enemy range in a ship loaded with vulcan cannons, plinking away with longer-ragne guns until their shields drop, then charging their flank, unloading with all five cannons, and hoping I can break them down before they do enough damage to overcharge my shields- is this reasonable, or am I being too direct and aggressive?

That can work really well. Those little vulcans and MGs tear hull up once you wear the armor away. Just keep at it and you'll grow into other ship setups and tactics naturally.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The great thing is that tons of different strategies and loadouts can all work. I'm personally a big fan of energy weapon alpha strike loadouts and shield tanking, with explosive rockets or torpedoes to finish off disabled, overloaded, or venting ships.

But smart kinetic + explosive loadouts work great too. As do rocket-spamming loadouts. Or fighter+bomber fleets. Or myriad others, depending on your personal preferences and play style.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

My favorite frigate is a Lasher with two dual MGs, 3 vulcans, and a pair of Annihilators. Very easy on flux, plays nice with the AI, can be pimped to the gills with mods and absolutely mulches anything smaller then a cruiser. Unless its a phase boat.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I love the look of the Mayorate ships, but after spending time with them, I think their best ship is the frigate. It's great at shooting up anything frigate sized or larger.

I think my fleets are very weird- I never equip missiles, torpedoes, or fighters. Heavy blasters, anti matter, and graviton lasers 4 lyfe.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I love the look of the Mayorate ships, but after spending time with them, I think their best ship is the frigate. It's great at shooting up anything frigate sized or larger.

I haven't really used much of the Mayorate ships, but the Esfahan is pretty nice. It's like a ballistic version of the Sunder. It doesn't have the best speed or maneuverability, but it has a really efficient shield and good firepower so it has cruiser-level staying power.

I also really enjoy the Belial PPC, which is basically a energy shotgun. I threw that with a pair of volley guns on a Thunderchild shuttle and it's my favorite pursuit ship.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I think my fleets are very weird- I never equip missiles, torpedoes, or fighters. Heavy blasters, anti matter, and graviton lasers 4 lyfe.

Same, the AI seems to go really heavy on point defense. Anything except reaper torpedoes at point blank range seems to get knocked out very quickly.

I really only use my own ships to cover my flank, I am typically doing 90% of the damage.

Ballistics are my favourite, in vanilla the heavy mauler and the kinetic equivalent (can't remember it's name) are both great. Long range, good damage, pretty good RoF and good accuracy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really like Kadur Theocracy ships. They have good armor and weapon mounts, and are really fast for their size. I usually fly a sphinx. Also their tugboat has a super fast burn speed.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A while back I decided to drive the Kadur Theocracy tug for my own amusement. Honestly, the tug is pretty amazing - it's essentially a flying brick with pretty lovely maneuverability, but the insanely good burn speed on its Ram Drive combined with its copious armor mass makes for extremely deadly collisions. Its combat lifetime is rather limited, but it's got enough armor to just about solo lighter capital ships like the Conquest before exploding.

Try it out, it's hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarezax posted:

A while back I decided to drive the Kadur Theocracy tug for my own amusement. Honestly, the tug is pretty amazing - it's essentially a flying brick with pretty lovely maneuverability, but the insanely good burn speed on its Ram Drive combined with its copious armor mass makes for extremely deadly collisions. Its combat lifetime is rather limited, but it's got enough armor to just about solo lighter capital ships like the Conquest before exploding.

Try it out, it's hilarious.

This also, I've yet to be able to do much other than launch other ships out of the sector with the ramming drive, but it's certainly funny, if not necessarily very effective a lot of the time.

Also the tug has some slightly bugged engines, if you try to strafe with it, it'll go from 0 to top speed in about half a second.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Liked your VOD Grunty, fun to watch. My gf found the banter between you and the british guy to be adorable. : D The Solenoid Quench Gun is a lot more attractive compared to the 2xshard in the current version, it was a bit meh back when it cost 10 OP and couldn't target fighters.

OwlFancier posted:

This also, I've yet to be able to do much other than launch other ships out of the sector with the ramming drive, but it's certainly funny, if not necessarily very effective a lot of the time.

Also the tug has some slightly bugged engines, if you try to strafe with it, it'll go from 0 to top speed in about half a second.

I want to try making a fleet out of only those tugs and the knife frigates from ICE sometime.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Is Kadur still a going thing? I haven't seen a new update for it since the last Starsector version.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Network Pesci posted:

Is Kadur still a going thing? I haven't seen a new update for it since the last Starsector version.

I imagine the guy behind it must have finally gotten bored with Starsector. It looks like Uomoz is removing the Kadur and the Nomads from his mod, which makes the game feel really lonely since every faction other than the Junk Pirates and Shadowyards are way, way too far away from the center.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Liked your VOD Grunty, fun to watch. My gf found the banter between you and the british guy to be adorable. : D The Solenoid Quench Gun is a lot more attractive compared to the 2xshard in the current version, it was a bit meh back when it cost 10 OP and couldn't target fighters.

Yeah EthanSteele's a hoot to cast with. That particular video was shot using the last official Uomoz release so it was pretty outdated in terms of Blackrock stuff. I got his latest dev version the other day (which is still technically out of date; it's pre-Scalar Rejector) so I'm dicking around and feeling out the new weapon balances. Might stream some later today, dunno.

Edit: I was thinking about how best to plan out some Starsector 101 videos and the thought crossed my mind that it would be useful to have some dummy ships to blow up. Like the Simulator except with AI disabled. Anyone know if there's a mod for that?

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 5, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Edit: I was thinking about how best to plan out some Starsector 101 videos and the thought crossed my mind that it would be useful to have some dummy ships to blow up. Like the Simulator except with AI disabled. Anyone know if there's a mod for that?

Hrmm. I don't know if there is a mod like that, but I think it'd be possible to make some "new" ships that don't have engines or shields. Though, I'm not much of a modder, so I don't know how hard that'd be.

Also. Jesus Uomoz's mod crashes a lot for me. It seems to like crashing a lot if you... well. Delete a Variant type that ships in your fleet are currently using? Though I think I need to test that.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
If you delete a variant, modded game or not, Starsector crashes, period. Don't delete variants. It sucks but there's no way around it and as far as I know it ruins your Starsector installation. There may be a way to fix your game but I don't know the precise details. Alex is aware of this but has inexplicably put off fixing this game-killing glitch until the next update.

I don't know of any mods that add unmanned ships, but you can generally put an Atlas in the simulator to show off your ships, it can't effectively fight back against anything.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

First video is up. I have no idea what I'm doing RE: video editing so there's a bit at the beginning where I say "go" and also I ramble too much. Enjoy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AxxjwkvaY

Edit: playlist link

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 8, 2014

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
I'm getting corrupt save issues when loading Uomoz' mod, and possibly occasionally Exerelin too. Are they not updated for the latest patch?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

feedtheid posted:

I'm getting corrupt save issues when loading Uomoz' mod, and possibly occasionally Exerelin too. Are they not updated for the latest patch?

You have to modify some game files in order for those mods to run correctly, the instructions are in the OPs of their respective threads.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
If you're talking about the vmparams memory file, I've already changed that.

e:unless it reverted somehow :argh:

feedtheid fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

feedtheid posted:

If you're talking about the vmparams memory file, I've already changed that.

e:unless it reverted somehow :argh:

In Exerelin it will still get corrupted if you make the gameworld too big for your rig to handle. So if you have a world with 15 systems containing 10 stations per system and max amount of factions, you will need a hefty amount of RAM to pull that off without ending up with corrupted saves. My rig with 2gb game dedicated
RAM can only pull off like 6 systems with minimum amount of stations and planets etc.

Other issues might be that you do not force the game to use 64bit java, or that you simply updated or reinstalled the game. And incase it was due to some over bug you can also find your second to last save as a backup in your save folder.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 10, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

feedtheid posted:

I feel that the mod has a memory leak somewhere. I get slowly degraded performance with save/loads as I play until it finally tells me it has an error loading my save game. Restarting the game restores the fast load/save speed and lets me load my old save files.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pretty much my feelings on the game are the same. Its awesome, weapons are pretty balanced, and each (original) faction needs a different set of weapons to deal with. Trying to take on low-tech Hegemony ships with the same loadouts that are good against High-tech ships and vice versa is just painful.

Still, mid-tech fleets are the easiest for the same reasons - they are not really "resistant" to pretty much anything, and sort of making for easy kills.

I forgot how addicting this game was.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As you play Exerelin the memory foot print gets bigger and bigger. With 11+ factions, 10 Star systems, 10 stations it takes about 4GB of Ram allocated to the game. When you start you can get away with 1GB. It's why the game starts slowing down, it's running out of memory, not because there is a memory leak. The game doesn't cache things to disk, it all goes into RAM and it's hungry.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

Can someone explain the pandora array on the Shadowyards cruiser? It seems terrible, and if I'm not mistaken my other weapons are getting disabled during it?

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
IIRC the Pandora Array is kinda broken. The modder could never get it to do what he wanted it to do so that's why in the next release the array will get replaced by a version that actually works.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Yah. Blackrock patch!
Mod Version 0.6
General:

NOTES:
This version will break savegames that have variants of changed ships in them.

CONTENT:
- New ship: Eschaton-class Superfreighter
- New ship: Dipteron-class Interceptor
- Added three music tracks (Blackrock, Stellar Rust, Magnetic Caress)
- Added new mission to showcase the Imaginos and Eschaton (End Times)
Imaginos redesign!
- The Imaginos now works as follows: no shield, regenerating armor, right-click activates a new secondary system: SCALAR REJECTOR.
This system is active for slightly less than a second and builds flux rapidly. While active, you are phased out and suck in and convert missiles, energy bolts and bullets into energy.
At the end of the duration, this energy is unleashed as blast of lightning, hitting nearby enemies for EMP and Energy damage based on the absorbed damage.
- The Imaginos now has five built-in weapons: Four miniature PD beams, and the RIFT CANNON, a hard-hitting close-range weapon. To compensate, it lost all weapon mounts save for a turreted Small Universal.
The Imaginos also has new ship sprite, sounds and visual effects.
Revenant redesign!
- The revenant has a shiny new sprite and Arcjet Burner instead of drones.
Stenos redesign!
- The Stenos has a new sprite, new weapons loudout, and a new system: HYPERCOOLED AUTOLOADER.
When activated, this ship system builds flux and resets the cooldown of ALL WEAPONS.
Asura redesign!
- The Asura has a new sprite and slightly different weapons layout.
Kurmaraja redesign!
- The Kurmaraja has a heftier loadout now, and the Interdiction Array lights up when the system is active. New ship sprite.
Squilla-class Bomber replaced with Vespa-class Bomber
- The Vespa-class Bomber is outwardly similar to the Squilla, but has a micro Argus and single Fury torpedo, no shield, and burst jets.
New weapon - Scalaron Repeater
New weapon - Voidspear SRM Pod
New sound effects for a bunch of stuff I forgot what aaah help, at least 50% of sounds.json is different now so there's that. Notably, flux and engine sounds have been altered.
- Added some new portraits and descriptions
- Denoised and touched up all ship sprites.
REBALANCING
All ships have been adjusted to make the faction more cohesive and balanced.
Rebalanced weapons slightly. Underused weapons have been buffed and overpowered weapons have been nerfed. I recommend people to take a look at the Solenoid Quench Gun.
Changed Sunjet PDE to work like a small version of the Sunfire PDE (Can turn)
Antiplasma Blaster renamed to Scalaron Blaster. Damage lowered, reload time improved.
Scalar Deracinator: The Scalar Deracinator no longer shows where the ship will end up, and you will be hit by incoming fire while charging.
Adjusted all logistics values and prices for 0.6.2a
Adjusted stock variants

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Can that be easily put into Uomoz or do we have to wait for it to be updated?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

You gotta wait for Uomoz, but he's already got my dev stuff in his dev stuff so it's not hard to get it up to date. Don't know if he's nearing a new official release or if it's just going to be another dev, though.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWYcHznPB-A

Anamorphic flare-type effect by abusing EMP arc code

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Anamorphic flare-type effect by abusing EMP arc code

Very pretty.

From reading, modders seem to think the effects they can create and manipulate are limited by the engine.
Is the developer actively working to accommodate mods with each build? I don't recall them stating anywhere they will explicitly make it accessible to modders or that it's a planned 'feature'.

I could have just forgotten though.

Heliophage
Aug 28, 2006
Devourer of Suns

Strumpie posted:

Very pretty.

From reading, modders seem to think the effects they can create and manipulate are limited by the engine.
Is the developer actively working to accommodate mods with each build? I don't recall them stating anywhere they will explicitly make it accessible to modders or that it's a planned 'feature'.

I could have just forgotten though.

The developer has been very supportive of the mod community: every new update adds mod only features and integration, he regularly posts in the forums and i've seen him help both newbies and experts as far as mod making goes. As of yet there are some limitations with what you can do but people seem to be pretty great at finding workarounds for most things. Still considering its still not even close to feature complete, Alex has baked in mod tools to every new feature released so far and waits a long time between stable builds to keep from modders constantly having to update everything only to not have it work. So yeah the mod support is pretty well as good as its going to get without making the game open source I think.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/cycerin/c/3996902

Little video of some spaceships being cannonized

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Alright, finally a new dev version is up.

=download=

Rather preliminary list of changes:

New support Fighter, the Kobold.
Entirely reworked Elysium Light Cruiser; new appearance and weapons layout, new built in weapon (lightning shotgun kinda thing), and a new ship system (engine inhibitor thing).
The Skinwalker now has a pair of auxiliary drone bits. Because it's totally a protagonist fighter, you know.
The Rakshasha now has a short range displacer system.
Played a bit with the maintenance costs of the destroyers, shouldn't be so absurdly cheap or quick to repair any more.
Graphics for all hullmods, and a new intrinsic hullmod that isn't quite working right yet.

There's probably more, but I'm a bit tired at the moment. This has not even been balanced so let me know what you think.

ToDo:

Visual effects for engine killer ship system.
Getting lightning bolts to spawn from missed shots on the Elysiums main gun.
Fixing the Harmonic Shield Conduits hullmod to work correctly.
Making medium sized torpedo launcher, and making small and medium sized rocket launchers.
Write descriptions for various ship systems.
General balance fixes and adjustments.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yesss! I really love your mod and missed playing with your ships :)

Now if only the Thule legacy mod revived too...

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

Yesss! I really love your mod and missed playing with your ships :)

Now if only the Thule legacy mod revived too...

Ehehehe, thanks. Though, yeah, would be nice if some of the old greats would return.

Well, we can always hope, I guess.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Progress continues on the next additions for Starsector. The new dev blog is apparently about comm relays.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2014/04/16/comm-relays/#more-2030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Oh wow, I didn't even realize 0.65 is out. OP needs to be updated?

e: Oh, never mind... it's not released yet. Just in dev... :(

RangerAce fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 18, 2014