Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You guys do know who owns the Glen....right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

VikingSkull posted:

If he did, he wouldn't even try, because we* sure as gently caress don't want F1.

*that being the we of US race fans, not the loving foamers that post in these threads

Speak for yourself, rear end in a top hat :mad:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kilonum posted:

You're a foamer posting in this very thread, not the majority of motorsports* fans in the US.

But yeah, a trip out to see F1 at COTA seemed interesting (I've got no problem traveling to see a good race... every 500 since 2007, plus Vegas 2011, Fontana 2012/2013, and Long Beach 2012 will attest to that) right up until I saw the ticket prices. I think in tickets alone to F1 at COTA, I could cover the total trip costs for all three of those Socal races that I went to.

Hotels in Fontana are loving cheap after all, and I crashed on my sister-in-law's floor for LB.

*NASCAR :sigh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kilonum posted:

way to prove my point haha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think "nobody here likes F1 except the people who like F1" is a very difficult thing to prove

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the US GP. F1 does pretty well in Canada too, so there is room for both series in North America.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

Meh. It can certainly be a thing. I argue that the Austin GP is good enough for the time being, and that if the NJ GP ever got off the ground, it would be okay.

But you know...IndyCar, despite all it's problems, despite all the fighting, and every thing else? It's still more popular here than F1 could ever say.

You can have a GP here, maybe even two. They'll do well enough, they'll get people to show up (a good mix of US fans with enough disposable income, and Foreigners on vacation), it'll get covered by NBC and get decent ratings.

That's not enough to satisfy Bernie though.

You, I and the vast majority of US race fans simply can't afford it, thus it's kind of irrelevant towards the average fan. Frankly, with the amount of money that could be spent going to one F1 race weekend, I could spend on not only going to the Indy 500, but a few NASCAR races, and a race at Eldora to see WOO thrown in as well!

Honestly, THAT sounds way more appealing to me. I imagine you'd be very much in agreement as well?

Yeah SoCal is a pretty poor area of the country, nobody can afford it there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Please no more F1 chat, it's somehow less relevant in this country than even IndyCar and thats really really saying something.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone got their tickets for LBGP yet?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Please no more F1 chat, it's somehow less relevant in this country than even IndyCar and thats really really saying something.

A quality post.

BTW, is this you?

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?57486-Cygni-s-White-Papers

(I don't post, it just came up in google searches)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That one is prolly my older brother. There was like 5 members of my extended family sharing that one account for a while. I used to post on TF. Crapwagon, and even 7th Gear, truly a shameful posting history.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cygni posted:

I used to post on TF. Crapwagon, and even 7th Gear, truly a shameful posting history.

:eyepop:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Pro-Celeb race field announced. As with most years, I actually know ~3 of them!

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/Grand-Prix-Association-of-Long-Beach-Announces-Drivers-for-2014-Pro-Celebrity-Race-1886340.htm

Also Unser Jr and Kyle Petty in the Pro cars. Its been a few years since the Pro's were able to pass the entire celeb field by the end...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

In this country? IndyCar is an international series I'll have you know.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The only reason why I'd ever want to get famous is to drive the pro-celeb race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/10562421/nascar-donnie-allison-stands-best-double

Gonna leave this here.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I completely forgot about crapwagon until that post. Why does that place still exist? Like I can understand being a little annoyed about the split, but to have somehow survived for 6 years after the split end and feeling nostalgic about the last years of ChampCar? That's pretty loving desperate...

Hell, at least trackforum had that thread where Arie Luyendyk's race engineer from 1996 explained how they were able to go so fast in qualifying that year...

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

IceAgeComing posted:

I completely forgot about crapwagon until that post. Why does that place still exist? Like I can understand being a little annoyed about the split, but to have somehow survived for 6 years after the split end and feeling nostalgic about the last years of ChampCar? That's pretty loving desperate...

Hell, at least trackforum had that thread where Arie Luyendyk's race engineer from 1996 explained how they were able to go so fast in qualifying that year...

There is going to be like a Crapwagon of ALMS. It has all of the ingredients of bitter fans towards TUSC and a new series not to the best of our liking. That and probably some of them are Crapwagon people as well.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

There is going to be like a Crapwagon of ALMS. It has all of the ingredients of bitter fans towards TUSC and a new series not to the best of our liking. That and probably some of them are Crapwagon people as well.
There was a HEAVY overlap between ALMS fans and Champcar fans, so this is practically inevitable.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Hey, I know what will get people interested in Indy 500 qualifying! Messing with the format again.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/3-7-New-Format-Enhances-Indy-500-Qualifying-Battle

quote:

• Saturday, May 17 (11 a.m.-5:50 p.m. ET)

o The fastest 33 cars compose the starting field (but not starting positions).
o All entries are guaranteed at least one four-lap attempt to qualify.
o The fastest nine entries advance to the Fast Nine Shootout.

• Sunday, May 18 (10:15 a.m.-1:30 p.m. ET)

o Saturday times are erased and entries 10-33 must complete another four-lap attempt to determine their starting position in order of the slowest to fastest from Saturday times.

• Fast Nine Shootout, Sunday, May 18 (2-2:45 p.m. ET)

o Saturday times are erased. Each entry will receive one four-lap attempt in the order of the slowest to the fastest from Saturday times. Aggregate times will determine the Verizon P1 Award winner and top three rows.

Bump day is Saturday, Pole day is Sunday. Weird, but despite this it seems like it will make things more interesting. Until it rains!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Donnie did it better than anyone, if you ignore the fact that he never did both on the same day!

Why is this an article? Oh, ESPN.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Donnie did it better than anyone, if you ignore the fact that he never did both on the same day!

Why is this an article? Oh, ESPN.

do you think his take on super mods is legit?

Kind of why I left it here. ;).

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A 1970 indycar is probably closer to modern day stockcar than modern day indycar just due to the aero alone.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

Hey, I know what will get people interested in Indy 500 qualifying! Messing with the format again.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/3-7-New-Format-Enhances-Indy-500-Qualifying-Battle

I don't mind the format, honestly. Fastest 33 still make the field. The only thing that I think is kinda meh is making 10-33 requalify and risk shoestring budget equipment a second time. I guess since they are locked in the field, they can just crank downforce in it anyway and take it safe.

There will be a lot more cars on the track in meaningful situations on both days than in the past, and thats whats entertaining if youre actually attending. And the Top 9 is more TV soundbite friendly. So yeah, not awful.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

AceFace905 posted:

There was a HEAVY overlap between ALMS fans and Champcar fans, so this is practically inevitable.

Very true. Serves as good tears to drink from. And speak of the devil already see a fb post about where a hypothetical breakaway sportscar series would go that isn't ISC/NASCAR related.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
New qualifying format is fine with me. It's geared towards gaining TV ratings and isn't nearly as gimmicky as other series NASCAR

I really wish I had the money to spend the full 2 weeks between the Indy GP and the 500. At least this year we'll have to have a Goon Meet the weekend of the 500 :gooncamp:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/03/07/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Verizon.aspx

quote:

Verizon is close to finalizing a 10-year, $100M deal to become the title sponsor of the IndyCar Series. Under terms of the deal, Verizon would commit to spend approximately $10M a year in rights, activation and media, sources said. The agreement brings an end to a two-year search to replace Izod, which was the title sponsor from '10-13. The total rights fee is valued at $5M a year. While that represents a significant increase from the roughly $2M a year Verizon was spending as an official sponsor of the IndyCar Series, it is a decrease from the $6M Izod paid. As title sponsor, Verizon’s media and activation commitment would be approximately $5M, which is flat with the $5M Izod reportedly spent. Verizon declined to comment on the title sponsorship, but a spokesperson said, “We’ve worked with IndyCar a long time, and it’s been a great partnership.” Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles, whose company owns the IndyCar Series, declined comment. Verizon has been an official sponsor of the IndyCar Series since '10 and a sponsor of Penske Racing’s IndyCar team since '09. When Izod alerted IndyCar officials in '12 that it wanted out of its title sponsorship, the series began pitching presenting sponsorships to existing partners such as Verizon and Firestone. The series, which at the time was led by Randy Bernard, wanted $6M annually in rights and $5M annually in media and activation. But Miles said last year that the price of the sponsorship was less important than the amount of activation a sponsor was willing to commit. JMI consults with Verizon Wireless on its motorsports sponsorships. Wasserman Media Group works with it on its NFL sponsorship.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So they lose the $2mil from the Verizon sponsorship and its $1mil below the izod sponsorship. Its better than nothing but the 10 year contract is kind of a kick in the nuts.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

KingShibby posted:

New qualifying format is fine with me. It's geared towards gaining TV ratings and isn't nearly as gimmicky as other series NASCAR

I really wish I had the money to spend the full 2 weeks between the Indy GP and the 500. At least this year we'll have to have a Goon Meet the weekend of the 500 :gooncamp:

The goon meet has always been the Night Before the 500 at Lucas Oil Raceway, halfway up the turn one hill in front of the camera stand. :colbert:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's a huge huge boost, to me. Izod's activation has been dogshit. Verizon's activation is already better than Izod's, including running ad's with IndyCars in them on all the major networks, and they don't even have to do that yet.

A 10 year deal is also goddamn fantastic because it means 10 years of stability and brand building for the series. No hand-wringing every few years, no WILL INDYCAR SURVIVE??? headlines.

Like I said a few months ago in jest, but was partly serious... IndyCar would probably give Verizon the title sponsorship for free if they agreed to push the series on their platforms.

Verizon may get the deal for a few mil cheaper than Izod, but their sponsorship is worth 10x more than a JC Penny clothing brand nobody is even aware of, and they have proven that they will push and market the series. And it makes sense for both parties.

Huge boost.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Mark Miles has been quoted multiple times saying that they cared less about money and more about publicity/marketing/etc. Having a company like Verizon sign a 10 year deal is a great thing. Now for the next 10 years nobody has to think about title sponsorship, and this one is an absolute slam dunk for both sides.

devmd01 posted:

The goon meet has always been the Night Before the 500 at Lucas Oil Raceway, halfway up the turn one hill in front of the camera stand. :colbert:

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm gonna be tent camping for 4 days and there's gotta be more goons to get drunk with.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
sweet i'll swing by and drink with you; this is the last month of may i'll be able to do up proper. I plan to be at the track 4 weekends in a row, to include running around it on the 3rd. :D

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

do you think his take on super mods is legit?

Kind of why I left it here. ;).

Actually I had stopped reading it, haha.

First, they are wrong on the horsepower. 490 is way too low, back in Donnie's day they were well over 600hp. They also refer to them in the past tense, like they died off or something. Other than that, yeah, supermods back then did prepare you for Indy more than they would today. Ask Gordon Johncock or Davey Hamilton. In the late 60's and early 70's Indy still ran ovals almost exclusively.

It's worth noting that he qualified once at 140mph on a high banked paved half mile, which for the time is insane. A few years ago, the Outlaws set the all time track record here at Middletown, 16.283 @ 144. Flat, dirt, 5/8ths. Shows how far racing has come.

e- Some of us watched this in the SASCAR cytube, but for those that didn't, here's a history of supermods.

Some period supermod footage.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 7, 2014

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

VikingSkull posted:

It's worth noting that he qualified once at 140mph on a high banked paved half mile, which for the time is insane. A few years ago, the Outlaws set the all time track record here at Middletown, 16.283 @ 144. Flat, dirt, 5/8ths. Shows how far racing has come.

When I went to the World Series at Thompson back in October, the fastest driver in the ISMA feature clocked in a fast lap of 143 mph (average). That's insane at a bumpy, 5/8 mile oval, even for today. As far as asphalt short track racing goes, it doesn't get much crazier than Supermods.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

WindyMan posted:

Bump day is Saturday, Pole day is Sunday. Weird, but despite this it seems like it will make things more interesting. Until it rains!

Ehh, this really isn't a terrible idea, all things considered, though if you're gonna do it, do it. Make Saturday your bump day, and then on Sunday, every qualified car gets a run to get into the pole shootout. I'm not sure that it is gonna change a whole lot, I don't think that the 33rd qualifier on Saturday is suddenly gonna run pole on Sunday, but maybe there are some moves, if that second pole run is a true pole run, and not a combination of pole/get into the race.

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, which is entirely possible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

So they lose the $2mil from the Verizon sponsorship and its $1mil below the izod sponsorship. Its better than nothing but the 10 year contract is kind of a kick in the nuts.

Kick in the nuts, how? A long-term relationship here is a loving good thing. I don't think I ever actually called it "Nextel Cup" once; by the time I stopped calling it "Winston Cup" out of habit, it was now "Sprint Cup".

Cygni posted:

It's a huge huge boost, to me. Izod's activation has been dogshit. Verizon's activation is already better than Izod's, including running ad's with IndyCars in them on all the major networks, and they don't even have to do that yet.

Seriously. IZOD showed up at least in 2010-2011, but it was weird commercials of Marco and TK riding around on jetskis wearing polos? They basically phoned it in in 2012 and did nothing other than cut a check afterwards.

And yeah, I'm just not finding any hate for the new qualifying format.

Kwik: Closest I can think of would be if a team is fighting something unknown like a broken shock and they barely get it in the show (let's face it, string together four clean laps and you're in) and figures it out overnight. I'd say rain, but they'd waive it off rather than letting you go slow.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Cygni posted:

A 10 year deal is also goddamn fantastic because it means 10 years of stability and brand building for the series. No hand-wringing every few years, no WILL INDYCAR SURVIVE??? headlines.

Like I said a few months ago in jest, but was partly serious... IndyCar would probably give Verizon the title sponsorship for free if they agreed to push the series on their platforms.

Verizon may get the deal for a few mil cheaper than Izod, but their sponsorship is worth 10x more than a JC Penny clothing brand nobody is even aware of, and they have proven that they will push and market the series. And it makes sense for both parties.

Huge boost.

10 years is a long time, at any time the corporate direction of Verizon could change and start phoning in the activation like Izod did and now your stuck receiving piddly cash for a while. I mean people might complain about :

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think I ever actually called it "Nextel Cup" once; by the time I stopped calling it "Winston Cup" out of habit, it was now "Sprint Cup".

But that was also a 10 year deal, just with some corporate savagery in the middle. If you don't think that can happen with Verizon in 10 years then I dunno what to tell you.

For next year, yes I agree its fantastic but everything changes so quickly in telecom. 14 years ago Verizon didn't even really exist and the AT&T breakup parts were still coming together.

I mean, hell, my Verizon cell 10 years ago only showed numbers on a liquid crystal display, the terribad black and grey ones.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/442150606887596032/photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/Reid_Spencer/status/442151593803120640/photo/1/large

Owns.

Need that diecast.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

To follow on to Fuzzy's post, something weird is now happening at that press conference. Dave Navarro (hes still alive?) came out and started playing a show and then noted E! cohost Mark McGrath came out and starting rapping? What the christ is happening?

e:

:siren: WEVE GONE PLAID :siren:

quote:

@JennaFryer Randomly, Fred Durst now has the mic for "Sweet Emotion." Ganassi is Harlem Shaking.

quote:

@JennaFryer No Mas: Vince Neil is singing "Highway to Hell" and Ganassi might be twerking.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chip.

Ganassi.

Twerking.

Those are three words I never wanted to put together :gonk:

• Locked thread