Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Previous Ys LPs:
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Ys IV as an entry into the series was a concept Falcom, following the poor reception worldwide of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys, never thought would see the light of day. The two original releases, Dawn of Ys for the PC Engine CD and Mask of the Sun for the Super Famicom, both released in 1993, weren't even directly developed by Falcom. Instead they licensed the music, titular characters from Ys I & II (Adol, Dogi, the Priestesses, Lilia, etc.) to different developers. Aside from some main locations and the games' soundtracks, both of these games are vastly different from each other in both stage progression and story development.
A third release was rumored for the Mega Drive, but nothing further than that was mentioned.
A fourth release titled Mask of the Sun: A New Theory, was developed and released for the PS2 in 2005 by Taito, but no current translation exists for this release.
The most recent (and assumed final) version was released late last year for the PlaystationVita as Ys: Memories of Celceta. It's neat and cool and really fun to play and I can't record it never ever so instead we're going to play the other entry that doesn't suck.

Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys is a Japan-only release published and developed by HudsonSoft in late 1993 for the PC-Engine; known in the states as the TurboGrafx-CD or the TurboDuo. It is set a short time after the events of Ys II but before the events of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. Dogi and Adol head home after some undisclosed adventure (maybe that weird spinoff for Java phones that disappeared in the mists of time). Tired from their journey they decide to get poo poo-faced and crash at former head of the thieves' guild, Goban's, house. Adol had earlier visited the fortune teller, Sara, who had told him something terrible had occurred on the continent of Celceta. Adol sneaks out onto the next boat there in the dead of night while his pals are sleeping, leaving them in the dust as he heads out on his next big adventure.

As you may or may not know, Hudson has had some experience dealing with the Ys series. They did that rear end horrible port of Wanderers from Ys but they also released Ys Book I & II that was an impressive port boasting great arranged music and being the only version of Ys I & II that seamlessly joins the two games together.
With knowledge and experience of both good and bad releases under their belt they went ahead to develop this gem. Using rich and detailed 16-bit graphics combined with unique environments, challenging bosses and detailed voiced cutscenes they put together what is possibly the most detailed traditional Ys game in the series.
The game also heavily borrows from Ys II's mechanics, using a very similar magic system bringing back fan favorites such as the fire and alter magic.
The soundtrack for this game in particular is the best in the series, in my opinion. It's just amazing, I can't even begin to explain. All three volumes of the edited redbook audio are available on iTunes so check out all three volumes.

This LP will be assembling two different patches in order to make the game watchable by an English-literate audience. I'll be using Deuce's translation patch to translate the game dialogue, and this thing to translate the voice-acting. The VA patch was done almost entirely by random voices pulled off some forum, however the voice of Darm in the patch is apparently Alan Oppenheimer: the original voice-over in Ys Book I & II for the TurboDuo and the voice of loving Skeletor!

I made an attempt at LP'ing both this game and Mask of the Sun in late 2012 to drive some hype for Memories of Celceta, but Mask of the Sun is balls and I hate LP'ing games I dislike so after a break from the series I'm back to give it another shot.

This game is a direct sequel to Ys II, but don't worry about being left behind! I'll get you back up to speed in a jiffy! Just watch

and you should be up to speed in no time. If you're still confused at any point about what's going on in the game have no second thoughts about asking here - it's a bloody forum, we discuss and talk about the stuff here.
Also feel free to talk about the other Ys games here, there's also a Falcom Discussion thread in Games that covers a bunch of related stuff that may interest you if you like what you see.

You scrolled right through all of that, didn't you? Alright have some videos then.

A cool easter egg that happens when the wrong system card is installed in the console.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Taking this post, might use it later. In the meantime have a picture of Dark Fact.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 7, 2014

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Dogi crushes Rohm imperialism betwixt his powerful thighs.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Yay jttoddy Ys LPs! Slowly working my way through Celceta, will definitely be watching this.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh cool a Jojo LP

Jewel fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 6, 2014

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

"It's been a long time you jack rear end!"

Awesome job with the explainer video.

Edit: Also this

Seedy Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 6, 2014

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Holy poo poo I didn't watch the video entirely my last reply since I was busy but the voice acting at 26 minutes 32 seconds is some of the worst voice acting I've heard in any game :allears:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Adol's checklist:

-shipwreck on a mysterious continent
-shiv the ancient evil with your pointy stick
-leave no virgin unturned

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

This is awesome!

If I could find pictures of Adol and Dogi doing JoJo poses I would just sit here laughing like an idiot for months.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It's great how this game has full-fledged voice acting but the sound effects are still more akin to something you'd hear on the gameboy. I'm loving this already. :allears:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay another Ys LP, your last ones were the reason I bought and been playing them on steam.

toddy. posted:

Taking this post, might use it later. In the meantime have a picture of Dark Fact.

So the Falcom anime been subbed?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So that's what final bosses do when they're waiting for the hero to show up!

More importantly, what is that from and why haven't I already heard about something that ridiculous?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Dr. Snark posted:

So that's what final bosses do when they're waiting for the hero to show up!

More importantly, what is that from and why haven't I already heard about something that ridiculous?

It's a series of anime shorts called "Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen", about the characters from Ys and Trails in the Sky characters being weird. Also Dark Fact goes to jail a bunch.

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

So the Falcom anime been subbed?

Yeah, I found fansubs for the first 5 or so episodes but I don't know if more have been released with subs since then.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I posted the lovely voice acting on twitter and so far someone's been confused "This has to be an albinosheep flash style redub for laughs right?" and another joked "I really hate it when LPers do voice acting in their LPs". I still can't get over how I wouldn't know if it was real voice acting if your mic wasn't in the video.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
I actually voiced the whole game.

Seedy Wizard
Feb 17, 2011

who wants a
body massage

Pins posted:

I actually voiced the whole game.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Jewel posted:

I posted the lovely voice acting on twitter and so far someone's been confused "This has to be an albinosheep flash style redub for laughs right?" and another joked "I really hate it when LPers do voice acting in their LPs". I still can't get over how I wouldn't know if it was real voice acting if your mic wasn't in the video.

This is the usual product of a random VA project on those VA group forums. They have a full "cast" list on the dub page, as well as the most terrifying image you've seen in at least 2 days. The only name I immediately recognize is Alan Oppenheimer as I mentioned in the OP.

Apparently a similar project is happening with one of the Legend of Xanadu games. I'm scared, help.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
Garuda's is the only other voice actor I recognized, MasakoX being the guy who does Goku and Gohan in DBZ Abridged and some other things like that. Looking up the others, the only other two that seem to have done anything are Mike Hillard (Eldeel, Grandfather Jeff), who voiced scientists in the Black Mesa HL1 remake, and Haushinka (Lair), better known as Kira Buckland/Rina-Chan, who has done a bunch of poo poo apparently but I'm gonna choose Meryl from Metal Gear Awesome. Other than them and Alan, yeah, pretty much just random people who haven't done anything else of note.

Also, huh, General Leo, eh? I'm going to go ahead and guess that wasn't in the Japanese.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

toddy. posted:

This is the usual product of a random VA project on those VA group forums. They have a full "cast" list on the dub page, as well as the most terrifying image you've seen in at least 2 days. The only name I immediately recognize is Alan Oppenheimer as I mentioned in the OP.

You people making fun of this dub have never heard official German dubs of older games, some of which I'm sure were literally made by pulling the drunk janitor and a few hobos into a recording boothinto the vicinity of a microphone and forcing them to read the dialogue at gunpoint. Compared to those, this is pretty inoffensive.

That picture and those nicknames, though...

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

toddy. posted:

It's a series of anime shorts called "Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen", about the characters from Ys and Trails in the Sky characters being weird. Also Dark Fact goes to jail a bunch.

Someone on ADTRW mentioned a while back that this has a lot of spoilers for TitS / Ys so keep that in mind if you are going to watch it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Does this version have the same dumb story as Mask of the Sun? Because man that game had a dumb plot and you should at least type up a synopsis of it for everyone at some point.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

Does this version have the same dumb story as Mask of the Sun? Because man that game had a dumb plot and you should at least type up a synopsis of it for everyone at some point.

It's a different story. But with lots of similarities as well, you'll see.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

gschmidl posted:

You people making fun of this dub have never heard official German dubs of older games...

Only two things I remember seeing dubbed in German is I played FFXIV with German dub VA on at all times and the German dub of the Simpsons that they made us watch back in high-school when the teacher had no work for us to do.

Mehuyael posted:

Honestly they feel close but they make turns and deviations in very different directions. Basically Mask of the Sun was Falcom's intended story initially and then Hudson said "hey this is not very good and you have all this really cool backstory to work through so we're going to be a bit different" and deviated in some interesting places. Once Falcom hired better writers the plot for Ys IV was altered significantly. Without going too far ahead, Ys VI has a particular plotline that shook things up and it made Falcom go back and alter a lot of the previous games' plots to fit it. Hence Chronicles, Origin, Oath in Felghana, Memories of Celceta, possibly an Ys V remake...

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I do love that no one can decide on how Adol's name is supposed to be pronounced. Dogi had been calling him Ay-dol up until Lillia appears and calls him Ah-dol. He uses her pronunciation, then goes immediately back to calling him Ay-dol. I think the voice acting is good for the most part though. There's gonna be some lovely performances but most of the main cast have been more than decent.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose this is back in the days when "haha, we got all your stuff!" was actually a plot twist and not something you can see coming from a mile away.

Even so, I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop, though I figured we'd get jumped by demon conspirators or something.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Sorry I took so long to make an update. I got pretty sick and also I hosed up a recording so here have episode 2.

Also I'm scrapping the idea of solo commentary for this game since no one man can carry this. Time to drag mumble crew brain slaves in to talk about fake butts.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I thought I'd never get this update out!

A reunion with some old friends, particularly friends that let us hit like a train and light things on fire.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This video has my seal of approval

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
So apparently there's a cool easter egg in Dawn of Ys when you try to run the game disc without having the right system card in your console.

Lilia is the real puppet master, Goban hid the facts.

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
Oh god I didn't think the voice acting was that bad but then Bami happened and oh god.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

QuetzaDrake posted:

Also, huh, General Leo, eh? I'm going to go ahead and guess that wasn't in the Japanese.

I totally missed this and thought I should clarify: General/Commander (whatever the rank translates to in Japanese) Leo is the name used in the Japanese version. Leo also makes appearances in Memories of Celceta and Mask of the Sun. In Memories of Celceta Leo gets the Hercule treatment where he's high ranked and decorated but he's also a complete goofball. In this game... well, you'll see...

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I post real updates on April 1st because really this entire LP is just one big joke to you, isn't it?

No supplementary image provided because seriously, look at that winged person shrug. They don't know or give fucks about wheat.
Do not approach Deep-Friar, the curse has gripped him.
Also we found Flea in an alleyway somewhere.

Really though try to comprehend that weird cutscene in the middle, we'll be seeing two more of them and they put together some important backstory to characters we'll be seeing sooner or later.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 1, 2014

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Goddamn Lemnos's voice. Also that man looks DISTRAUGHT.Extremely upset about being a butt spider.

Maybe the game you're thinking about is Suikoden 1? It had a tree top elf village. That then got burned to the ground by a giant mirror. Suikoden 1 was kind of a weird game.

DFlux fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 1, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Just had the new Ys Art Book that I preordered off Amazon months ago delivered to my door. If I recall it's the first of Falcom's art books to be published in English so check it out if you're interested. I might eventually use it for resources (especially when I get around to LP'ing Ys Origin ETA 20XX) since there's a surprising amount info to be had in there. No art for Dawn of Ys or Mask of the Sun though, probably due to awkward shared rights of those games with companies that no longer exist/got bought out by Konami.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

toddy. posted:

Just had the new Ys Art Book that I preordered off Amazon months ago delivered to my door. If I recall it's the first of Falcom's art books to be published in English so check it out if you're interested. I might eventually use it for resources (especially when I get around to LP'ing Ys Origin ETA 20XX) since there's a surprising amount info to be had in there. No art for Dawn of Ys or Mask of the Sun though, probably due to awkward shared rights of those games with companies that no longer exist/got bought out by Konami.

A friend brought me this from Japan and I agree, it's totally worth owning.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Look at that guy. That smug motherfucker. Also Duren has an interesting twist in character, not the same as in Memories of Celceta but interesting nonetheless.
It's probably worth mentioning now if I haven't already, but this game is definitely not canon. If you can't work out why you may have to wait a while for me to explain. It's... complicated.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not canon? Would explain why the Black Pearl had all those Sephiroth wings in Chronicles.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

toddy. posted:

So apparently there's a cool easter egg in Dawn of Ys when you try to run the game disc without having the right system card in your console.

Actually, most, if not all, of the Super-CD and Arcade-CD PC-Engine games have this. Some of them are just text, but as you can see here, some are pretty elaborate, with artwork and music. Dracula X, for example, is an interactive thing where you control a goofy-looking Richter in a small stage. Just a neat little thing about the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuetzaDrake
Sep 11, 2011

So lonely.
I especially like that the horrific Tetsuo-esque abomination just spurts a white fluid out of a random tube every so often, that was some designer's horrible, horrible imagination and creativity shining through there.

• Locked thread