Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Policenaut posted:

Outbreak was ahead of its time. If they had created it during the PS3/360 era, it would probably have gone over a lot better than it really did. There's a lot of really interesting ideas in it, like ad-lib dialogue, door barricading, and the characters being regular schlubs who have limited inventories and unique sets of skills to encourage teamwork is really novel. File #1 also has arguably the best CG intro and opening scenario in the entire franchise. People and technology just wasn't ready for it. Barely anyone had network adapters, Capcom USA removed the HDD support, and it came out during a time when the idea of an online Resident Evil with no voice chat wasn't received very well. If they made a new one with today's modern systems then it would probably be pretty popular.

Unless I'm understanding the HDD support wrong they left it in for file #1. I distinctly remember playing a sliding tile puzzle while it installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Len posted:

Unless I'm understanding the HDD support wrong they left it in for file #1. I distinctly remember playing a sliding tile puzzle while it installed.

It worked but I believe they failed to mention it in any way in any US Outbreak-related advertising/manual/whatever. That was the game's biggest failing it just didn't have the hardware support here. Resident Evil: Now Loading was a more appropriate name for it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I'm fairly certain that Marvel 3 made it canon that Chris juiced the hell out to match Wesker.

If you ever model-switch in the Lost in Nightmares version of Chris and compare him with the RE5 version of Chris this is meant to be really, really obvious.

He's got action-hero proportions in his LIN model vs. the gorilla arms of his stock RE5 model.

edit: Also Chris is my favorite RE character by far. Mostly because he's still the ultimate straight-man to everyone else's reactions- dude don't even bat a single eyelash when he runs through the hilarious obstacle course of RE5. From modern African town to insane swamp filled with racist stereotypes that is conveniently connected to an oil platform that somehow leads him to an underground African kingdom where they developed loving lasers to a giant underground lab. Like he seriously does all of that in one go and never gives even a single reaction to it.

Some files in RE6/the plot of Revelations also give him a pretty good reason to really dislike the US- mostly because apparently the US government has basically been trying to sabotage the BSAA at every single opportunity possible and are super suspicious about it all the drat time (because that whole Illuminati poo poo brought up in RE6).

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 7, 2014

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011

Fereydun posted:

If you ever model-switch in the Lost in Nightmares version of Chris and compare him with the RE5 version of Chris this is meant to be really, really obvious.

He's got action-hero proportions in his LIN model vs. the gorilla arms of his stock RE5 model.

edit: Also Chris is my favorite RE character by far. Mostly because he's still the ultimate straight-man to everyone else's reactions- dude don't even bat a single eyelash when he runs through the hilarious obstacle course of RE5. From modern African town to insane swamp filled with racist stereotypes that is conveniently connected to an oil platform that somehow leads him to an underground African kingdom where they developed loving lasers to a giant underground lab. Like he seriously does all of that in one go and never gives even a single reaction to it.

I think this is part of the reason (Post RE5) Chris is my favorite male protagonist in the series. The Redfields are the best male/female protagonists which I suppose is also why Code Veronica riles me up the wrong way by having the two best leads and being completely underwhelming due to pre-RE5 Chris characterization, Steve, and the obvious signs Capcom just didn't care about that game. Claire being the only likable character in that game and the hilarious voice acting can only carry it so far.

I kind of like Leon too because he's a goofy fuckup constantly overshadowed by far more competent women (Claire/Ada/Helena) and being lead around like a love-sick puppy by Ada. His first appearance is accidentally turning up for work late because he was out the night before drinking in a different city due to a 'messy breakup' at age 21 and driving through military barricades into a burning city. Then not having the sense to go back to his jeep and go back the way he came instead of stealing a police car and failing to notice a zombie in the back seat.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'll grant you the others, but I don't think anyone could honestly describe Helena as far more competent than any other character. Except her sister Deborah, I guess.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No one beats Kendo in terms of competency. I'm going to lock this wooden door despite the fact I have a glass storefront that can be knocked in at any given moment.

Woah... sorry about that babe!

Edit: Typing that reminded me of this old flash (Newgrounds) I saw years ago. Sums up Kendo quite well.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Chris and Jill having absolutely no reaction to the crazy poo poo they see is basically the whole reason I like both those characters. The best bit in Revelations is when a giant mutant sea monster burst out of the sea and attacks the ship and Chris and Jill don't even bat an eye.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Chris and Jill having absolutely no reaction to the crazy poo poo they see is basically the whole reason I like both those characters. The best bit in Revelations is when a giant mutant sea monster burst out of the sea and attacks the ship and Chris and Jill don't even bat an eye.

Leon just seems mildly annoyed unless it involves Ada. Like he's having to do overtime because someone didn't come in to cover their shift.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crowetron posted:

RE4 proved that, when you're in their line of work, after capping someone, the first thing to check is 'are they a zombie Y/N'. For them, anything bigger than the walking dead is like a paper jam in the photocopier.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Leon just seems mildly annoyed unless it involves Ada. Like he's having to do overtime because someone didn't come in to cover their shift.

Leon at least looks surprised or startled on occasion. Like when he got attacked by a giant Napoleon robot. Chris and Jill completely stopped caring like ten minutes into the Spencer Estate.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Chris and Jill completely stopped caring like ten minutes into the Spencer Estate.

I always liked in the original how that first thing that Jill says when seeing the Tyrant is "I don't think it's fully developed..." while staring eye level with it's crotch.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
On Resident Evil 6 I can sum up in four words and three categories how I feel about that game.

a) hosed up
b) Bug
c) Wheel

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fereydun posted:

Some files in RE6/the plot of Revelations also give him a pretty good reason to really dislike the US- mostly because apparently the US government has basically been trying to sabotage the BSAA at every single opportunity possible and are super suspicious about it all the drat time (because that whole Illuminati poo poo brought up in RE6).
His bio makes him out to be a manbaby with daddy(authority) issues. He was really good at his job, he just can't follow orders from his superiors at all and retired early.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's really about time Chris came out of the closet.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

His bio makes him out to be a manbaby with daddy(authority) issues. He was really good at his job, he just can't follow orders from his superiors at all and retired early.

To be fair, they had what's essentially an attack dog who's seen it all, has huge muscles and can simply punch away any big obstacles in between him and his objective. They had to be loving up pretty hard if their orders for him weren't just "go there kill that". Let someone else do investigations, call Chris in when they've confirmed the target.

Damegane fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 7, 2014

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Damegane posted:

To be fair, they had what's essentially an attack dog who's seen it all, has huge muscles and can simply punch away any big obstacles in between him and his objective. They had to be loving up pretty hard if their orders for him weren't just "go there kill that". Let someone else do investigations, call Chris in when they've confirmed the target.

Hey, did you forget about Chris Redfield: EXPERT HACKER?

That's probably one of the funniest things to me about the dude- he's such a blank slate besides "is really good at punching monsters" that before he acquired that trait one of his big things was that he was always the dude breaking into computers- he's the guy who hacks into Wesker's computer in RE1 and Code Veronica!

The thing Scalding Coffee's talking about I think is the whole "Chris got kicked out of the airforce at age 19 or something hilarious like that" because of that action hero stereotype of "his unwavering resolve to not fire on civilians/do something that doesn't involve killing 'bad guys'!" that like basically every single heroic former military protagonist has.

edit: The BSAA/US thing I'm talking about is this: http://projectumbrella.net/articles/BSAA-File

The most important thing is that Chris got hired to a police taskforce because he could fly a fighter jet. Resident Evil's story is the best.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 7, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

S.T.A.R.S's hiring practices make a lot more sense when you remember that the two founding members are Wesker, who was planning to murder everyone anyway, and Barry "Let's split Up" Burton.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Reminder that Outbreak's Kevin, an extremely competent man with the incredible ability to take 2 seconds to make sure his sights are lined up, somehow flubbed multiple attempts at joining S.T.A.R.S while dudes like Vickers and Kenneth made it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They probably had connections with Umbrella.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

They probably had connections with Umbrella.

Nah, Wesker hired them so that the STARS team would a) unconditionally hate helicopter pilots and b) be left to die if they tried to investigate the Spencer Mansion.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Policenaut posted:

Reminder that Outbreak's Kevin, an extremely competent man with the incredible ability to take 2 seconds to make sure his sights are lined up, somehow flubbed multiple attempts at joining S.T.A.R.S while dudes like Vickers and Kenneth made it.

One of the interesting things about Outbreak is that they shuffled a lot of the characterization off into the SP Items, which are little hidden things you can find if you search specific unlabeled areas in various difficulties, sometimes while playing specific characters. With Kevin, it gives the impression that he's really irresponsible and he's at least on the way to having a serious drinking problem. He keeps cheap gin in the little fridge in the corner of the RPD's west east office, for example.

Fereydun posted:

The most important thing is that Chris got hired to a police taskforce because he could fly a fighter jet. Resident Evil's story is the best.

In the original game's manual, or something like that, it said that Barry got him the STARS gig because they're old friends. A lot of the dudes on STARS are crazy overqualified to be small-town SWAT cops or whatever the hell STARS was supposed to be; they're all ex-Marines and I think one guy's a Navy SEAL and like that. It all basically goes back to how Shinji Mikami thinks military training is a superpower.

Geight posted:

I'll grant you the others, but I don't think anyone could honestly describe Helena as far more competent than any other character. Except her sister Deborah, I guess.

Helena's saddled with the really obnoxious "I'll tell you what's going on after we've punched through half a city's worth of zombies" gimmick for the first two chapters, but there's a fair bit to be said in her defense, particularly when compared to the rest of the cast/genre/medium. She never has to be rescued (outside of the weirdly non-canon tutorial level, anyway), she never does the whole "strong female character = rear end in a top hat for no reason" thing, and once the game reaches the underground lab, she basically just shuts up and does her job throughout.

After playing RE6, I still think it's interesting that if you changed Helena's gender, absolutely nothing about her or her role in the plot would be any different.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jill was ex-Delta Force at 21 or something ridiculous like that. I think Rebecca's whole child prodigy thing is one of the most sensible STARS backstories, honestly.

As for Helena, she shows good taste in weaponry by packing a Hydra, kills zombies while break-dancing AND is voiced by Laura Bailey. Plus, she never has an awkward romance subplot. Helena owns.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My favorite part of RE1 was Wesker's plan.

He decided he needed to test the Tyrant. So rather then just call the RPD, he quit Umbrella, became a police officer, rose through the ranks naturally over several years, gained the ability to form his own unit somehow, and handpicked the people who are in STARS. He then sent in the first team to die against the regular old zombies, then went in with a second team to try them out against the Tyrant.

The people in team B were a mix of hardcore military ops guys outside of Rebecca. Team A was "guy I hired because he can fly planes", "lady I hired because she's good at bomb disposal", "guy who was good with toxic gas exposure", "omni-man" ( ?? what the hell did frost do ), and "lets split up" burton.

You'd think if he wanted to test his secret weapon on hardened military guys, he'd have chosen to lead Bravo in. Nope! That does not work for master genius Wesker.

And apparently he decided to do all of this behind Umbrella's back.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think the plan was to test the other experiments like the Hunters and Chimeras at the same time, but yeah, that's pretty much Wesker's plan.

And then later they retconned in that Birkin was involved and gave Wesker a still unnamed super virus that only activates when the host gets eviscerated, so his plan was to get hella murdered by the Tyrant after all that other poo poo.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Jill was ex-Delta Force at 21 or something ridiculous like that. I think Rebecca's whole child prodigy thing is one of the most sensible STARS backstories, honestly.

This is doubly bizarre as it would be impossible to be Delta force at 21. To even attend special forces selection you usually have to be at least an E-4, the fastest you could do that would be to get your GED, join at 17, which would make you 18 by the time you went, and even then selection is the first part of a series of schools that can take a very long time to complete. The longest I think is a little under three years if you're a medic with a category IV language like chinese or arabic. After all this, you're in the special forces. Then there's another process entirely to make it to delta, and I have no idea what that even is, but I would think bare minimum you would have to be at least 24 or 25, and that would be if you made it and then immediately left the military.

Also Special Forces are combat arms and in 1998 they didn't accept women.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This is doubly bizarre as it would be impossible to be Delta force at 21. To even attend special forces selection you usually have to be at least an E-4, the fastest you could do that would be to get your GED, join at 17, which would make you 18 by the time you went, and even then selection is the first part of a series of schools that can take a very long time to complete. The longest I think is a little under three years if you're a medic with a category IV language like chinese or arabic. After all this, you're in the special forces. Then there's another process entirely to make it to delta, and I have no idea what that even is, but I would think bare minimum you would have to be at least 24 or 25, and that would be if you made it and then immediately left the military.

On the other hand Jill is the Master of Unlocking.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, don't think about it too hard. Capcom retconned the Delta thing out as fast as they could once people started telling them it was stupid, and now Jill's actual background is a nebulous mystery. She went to Badass School right out of twelfth grade and graduated in three years so she could be on the STARS.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Really it's just a hilarious misunderstanding of american culture and institutions. Like Raccoon city having it's own dedicated SWAT team. Of Course, it seemed like raccoon city got progressively bigger from 1 to 3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Rookersh posted:

My favorite part of RE1 was Wesker's plan.

He decided he needed to test the Tyrant. So rather then just call the RPD, he quit Umbrella, became a police officer, rose through the ranks naturally over several years, gained the ability to form his own unit somehow, and handpicked the people who are in STARS. He then sent in the first team to die against the regular old zombies, then went in with a second team to try them out against the Tyrant.

This isn't that hard to fathom when you consider that the chief of police works for Umbrella.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Later on, it seemed like everyone worked for Umbrella.

We also had the technology to make a floating city or will have it in a few years.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Really it's just a hilarious misunderstanding of american culture and institutions. Like Raccoon city having it's own dedicated SWAT team. Of Course, it seemed like raccoon city got progressively bigger from 1 to 3.

I have the Versus Books strategy guide for RE3, and one of the sidebars in there has the author going through the process of trying to figure out where the hell in the U.S. Raccoon City is supposed to be. After combing through tons of RE2 and 3 screenshots, he finally manages to find one that has a sign with an actual area code. Looking it up, it was an area code for New York City. :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Later on, it seemed like everyone worked for Umbrella.

We also had the technology to make a floating city or will have it in a few years.

Yeah, RE Earth is way ahead of the technology curve for some reason. I always wondered if that was strictly due to throwing whatever occurred to them in because they thought it was cool, or because every scientist in the world was being coaxed into Umbrella's employ with fat sacks of drug money and the promise of lots of illegal human testing.

W.T. Fits posted:

I have the Versus Books strategy guide for RE3, and one of the sidebars in there has the author going through the process of trying to figure out where the hell in the U.S. Raccoon City is supposed to be. After combing through tons of RE2 and 3 screenshots, he finally manages to find one that has a sign with an actual area code. Looking it up, it was an area code for New York City. :v:

Heh, I have that one too. It's a funny book above and beyond its value as a strategy guide, just because the author's clearly gone insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Versus Guide was amazing. I seem to recall it trying to make the argument (jokingly?) that Nemesis was the zombie form of Sagat from Street Fighter.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Jill is doubly bizarre as it would be impossible to be Delta force at 21. To even attend special forces selection you usually have to be at least an E-4, the fastest you could do that would be to get your GED, join at 17, which would make you 18 by the time you went, and even then selection is the first part of a series of schools that can take a very long time to complete. The longest I think is a little under three years if you're a medic with a category IV language like chinese or arabic. After all this, you're in the special forces. Then there's another process entirely to make it to delta, and I have no idea what that even is, but I would think bare minimum you would have to be at least 24 or 25, and that would be if you made it and then immediately left the military.

This has been one of the most informative threads I've ever read.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Well, after picking up RE4, loving the poo poo out of it, getting RE5 for Mercs (RE4 Mercs felt a bit slow and hampered by the generally slower and more methodical gameplay style of the game, and yet I still played it enough to 5 Star every character on every stage. I figured RE5 Mercs would be the right boost of pace and fluidity), and not as much liking RE5's main game (Good GOD does that game have some terrible design ideas, especially when they leaked into Mercs) I decided to pick up RE6 for cheap after seeing Lunethex's LP.

My first impressions of the game have been, post godawful tutorial level, drunkenly staggering around while everything explodes as I punch anything that moves. Mercs didn't fare much better. Two observations. One: I need to get better. Two: This game is awful at explaining itself. Three: The camera is REALLY twitchy. Four: Gun aiming feels really off.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
RE5 storymode is strictly a 2-player experience, if you're playing it alone you may as well not play it at all

Risky
May 18, 2003

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, don't think about it too hard. Capcom retconned the Delta thing out as fast as they could once people started telling them it was stupid, and now Jill's actual background is a nebulous mystery. She went to Badass School right out of twelfth grade and graduated in three years so she could be on the STARS.

Or they could have just given her a realistic age of 30. Or would that turn off a whole demographic of guys who have never been laid?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Remember that STARS is a unit that requires one of its members to be trained in the use and operation of mortars.

W.T. Fits posted:

Aw, I've only got the Prima guide.

Risky posted:

Or they could have just given her a realistic age of 30. Or would that turn off a whole demographic of guys who have never been laid?

Welcome to Japan, a magical land where at 19, you can be a battle-hardened sociopath with a decade's experience and no one bats an eyelid, and at 25, you're marched into the food banks to provide sustenance for the next batch of pre-teen heroes.

The lucky ones escape until they hit their 50s, at which point, they're seen fit to rejoin society and no one gives them any poo poo due to their undeniable badassitude.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Emperordaein posted:

Well, after picking up RE4, loving the poo poo out of it, getting RE5 for Mercs (RE4 Mercs felt a bit slow and hampered by the generally slower and more methodical gameplay style of the game, and yet I still played it enough to 5 Star every character on every stage. I figured RE5 Mercs would be the right boost of pace and fluidity), and not as much liking RE5's main game (Good GOD does that game have some terrible design ideas, especially when they leaked into Mercs) I decided to pick up RE6 for cheap after seeing Lunethex's LP.

My first impressions of the game have been, post godawful tutorial level, drunkenly staggering around while everything explodes as I punch anything that moves. Mercs didn't fare much better. Two observations. One: I need to get better. Two: This game is awful at explaining itself. Three: The camera is REALLY twitchy. Four: Gun aiming feels really off.

RE6 is the worst at explaining stuff. If I hadn't played mercs I wouldn't know about the shoulder shot -> instant kill stuff or that any of the dozens of counter moves even existed. I think I played through the entire campaign without realizing how completely broken good quick shot is for basically every weapon.

If the reviews and streams are anything to go by, most people beat the game without ever using 90% of their options in combat which from a design perspective seems like a pretty terrible failure. Someone put a lot of work into letting you kill lizards with your bare fists, but finding out that the best way to kill lizards is shotgun -> death qte is just something that never occurs for most players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Welcome to Japan, a magical land where at 19, you can be a battle-hardened sociopath with a decade's experience and no one bats an eyelid, and at 25, you're marched into the food banks to provide sustenance for the next batch of pre-teen heroes.
I'm replaying FF8 and it feels really weird to be playing as people who literally describe themselves as elite mercenaries and special forces at the precocious age of 17 years old. You can handwave it away as another world but in RE where it's still Earth it does feel really bizarre. At least the characters are aging in real time though, rather than being ageless and immortal (Only exception is Jill whose face keeps changing now, she looked completely different in Revelations)