Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Are you planning on using the gopro wifi link to get an idea of your shot or equipping some fpv gear? I'd be tempted into DJI's lightbridge and a 3d camera joystick on the ground if photography was my thing. Though I suspect even with altitude and heading hold you would still need a second person to effectively operate the camera controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
No I don't have any plans for the GP wifi. I will be using 2.3ghz video and have a switch to change between the flight camera and the GoPro's live feed. I've seen some impressive single-man filming done with this combo. I also want to be able to have decent long range capability and will be using my Rangelink UHF. My friend is building a hex and I think that's a better candidate for the two-man filming setup. It would need a 3-axis gimbal and retracting landing gear for starters, not that that would be impossible to add to this quad or anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How do you get a live feed from the GoPro without the wifi? I didn't know that was possible.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Gopro has analog video out and you simply plug it into a FPV video transmitter. You can run two cameras by having an RC switch like this : https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29651__Hobbyking_3_Channel_FPV_Video_Switcher.html

It's useful if you want to see how your shot looks on a Gimballed Gopro but still be able to pilot the ship FPV w/ a fixed camera.

ease fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2014

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Yep that's what I'll be doing. The Tarot gimbal has an accessory plug that lets you get video signal out as well as charge the GoPro in flight from your flight pack. My gf got me a GoPro 3+ Black for my birthday, my drat APM needs to get here so I can finally use this stuff!

I also ordered a couple zoom lenses for the FPV cams like this one:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/1%7B47%7D3%27%27-2.8mm%252d12mm-MTV-Manual-Zoom-Manual-Focal-LENS.html

I'm hoping I can make a servo setup that will control both zoom and focus the lens. I will also probably have to build a custom gimbal for it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

Here's my latest toy, a Tarot 650. Building this to try and do some professional photo work, filming, and sightseeing. Just waiting on my APM 2.5 to come on it's way from Hobbyking. Some people have been getting insane flight times on this frame. I am hoping to get some really good times of at least 30 mins of normal flight (not hover) on these T-Motor 3110 470kv with 16x5 props and 2x 5000mah 4S. I bought the GoPro3 gimbal...but I don't have a GP3 yet lol. I like this frame because it looks high tech and professional (won't get the hairy eyeball from potential customers as if I pulled out a home-build quad) and it folds up small enough to fit in the trunk of my Miata! It's also large enough to take a DSLR in the future.

Thats a cool frame. I'm pretty much planning a do over on my quad so I'm keen to see how you go. Any reason why you didn't go for a hex when you are building something that big already?

I finally received my TBS groundstation that had been missing in the post for a couple of weeks. It looks like a solid product. I modded my dvr to have an RJ45 cable on it so its a single cable connection. I just need to rig something a bit less ghetto for the antenna. I'll probably print a bracket with a swivel in it so I can point the antenna independently from the screen.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I went with the quad mainly for price, less parts. Also I got everything at a discount and I would have had to pay full price for a hex frame.

You're flying from the screen? You will definitely want it independent from the antenna for sure. You will have to position the screen mainly in regards to the sun's glare which doesn't always line up with the direction of flight.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

I went with the quad mainly for price, less parts. Also I got everything at a discount and I would have had to pay full price for a hex frame.

You're flying from the screen? You will definitely want it independent from the antenna for sure. You will have to position the screen mainly in regards to the sun's glare which doesn't always line up with the direction of flight.

No the screen is only a backup / bystander screen. I have dominators that plug in with the black RJ45 in the photo. The screen on this is big enough to use as a backup but I wouldn't want to fly only with it. It is a crazy bright LCD compared to my RMRC 8" monitor so It probably could handle a fair bit of direct sunlight?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I've been flying with my 1.3 rx wired to a 5.8 tx so my goggles are still wireless. It's kind of a pain when you are flying with other people but it's doable.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ease posted:

I've been flying with my 1.3 rx wired to a 5.8 tx so my goggles are still wireless. It's kind of a pain when you are flying with other people but it's doable.

I've thought about doing a 5.8 relay to my goggles. The TBS groundstation has plug and play port for a 5.8 vtx so it would be super easy. I haven't bought a 5.8 goggle rx module yet though. Wireless would be nice for launching when I'm by myself.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I've recently fallen back down into a multicopter hole, so I've been rebuilding everything and trying to get back up to speed....

Does anyone know how the Arducopter software is looking nowadays? I was annoyed with it for a while after one of my copters lost it's poo poo and crashed pretty badly, and then more so after digging into the terrible source code.

I have an older APM 2.0, which I might try to upgrade by removing the original magnetometer and hacking on an external one...but it might be easier just to buy the ArduFlyer clone from rctimer (since then everything is connected with nice and neat connectors). Anyone tried one of these?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Slanderer posted:

I've recently fallen back down into a multicopter hole, so I've been rebuilding everything and trying to get back up to speed....

Does anyone know how the Arducopter software is looking nowadays? I was annoyed with it for a while after one of my copters lost it's poo poo and crashed pretty badly, and then more so after digging into the terrible source code.

I have an older APM 2.0, which I might try to upgrade by removing the original magnetometer and hacking on an external one...but it might be easier just to buy the ArduFlyer clone from rctimer (since then everything is connected with nice and neat connectors). Anyone tried one of these?

Its pretty good these days. I'm using an rctimer apm 2.5 with onbord magentometer. I'm thinking of getting the cn06 plus gps with magentometer board which is supposed to give a pretty big improvement.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Its pretty good these days. I'm using an rctimer apm 2.5 with onbord magentometer. I'm thinking of getting the cn06 plus gps with magentometer board which is supposed to give a pretty big improvement.

Cool, thanks. I guess I can risk taking another chance with it.

Also, I got around to rebuilding my tricopter from way back. I thought it had originally shook itself to pieces in the air because of badly balanced propellers or issues with the KK2.0 controller, but after putting it back together again I figured out that one of the motors was actually defective.

It was an annoying failure mode---the motor spins up just fine without a propeller, and doesn't seem to make any weird noises that could go along with a bad bearing. But once you put a propeller on it, the motor takes a bit more throttle to get spinning, and then once it does it stops spinning and starts jerking around once the throttle gets above a certain point. I never tried this test on the ground (not with props on), as I didn't want to get another 12 stitches in my fingers. But once it gets in the air and I increase the throttle / the flight controller increases the throttle, poo poo gets hosed.

After ruling out the ESC and replacing the motor, it flew with the default PID controller settings on the KK2. I still need to actually tune it, but just increasing the P gain was enough to get it stable enough to fly around the park.

bonus pic: BATTLE MODE TRICOPTER

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Slanderer posted:

It was an annoying failure mode---the motor spins up just fine without a propeller, and doesn't seem to make any weird noises that could go along with a bad bearing. But once you put a propeller on it, the motor takes a bit more throttle to get spinning, and then once it does it stops spinning and starts jerking around once the throttle gets above a certain point.

This symptom describes what happened to my motor after it overheated. The resin that holds the windings starts to melt, allowing arcs between the windings once it reaches a high enough voltage (high enough throttle position). This shorts out windings in bad places causing lurching. This was complimented by a strong smell of blue smoke and it threw sparks. It definitely seems like defective manufacturing could give you the same symptoms if the windings weren't done right.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
You might try re-winding the stator.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Slanderer posted:

It was an annoying failure mode---the motor spins up just fine without a propeller, and doesn't seem to make any weird noises that could go along with a bad bearing. But once you put a propeller on it, the motor takes a bit more throttle to get spinning, and then once it does it stops spinning and starts jerking around once the throttle gets above a certain point.

It could also be a faulty or intermittent motor connection. Make sure those are secure and re-sweat the bullet solder joints if necessary.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

darknrgy posted:

This symptom describes what happened to my motor after it overheated. The resin that holds the windings starts to melt, allowing arcs between the windings once it reaches a high enough voltage (high enough throttle position). This shorts out windings in bad places causing lurching. This was complimented by a strong smell of blue smoke and it threw sparks. It definitely seems like defective manufacturing could give you the same symptoms if the windings weren't done right.

There would have to be some other failure to cause that--the "enamel" coating on the stator wire should have a much higher dielectric breakdown voltage. The fact that it only malfunctions when a propeller is attached means something, but I'm not sure what.

CrazyLittle posted:

You might try re-winding the stator.

I might try that one weekend when I'm bored, but one of the good things about getting such cheap motors is that the cost of a replacement is way less than the value of my time to repair it. Specifically, I'm using:

http://www.rctimer.com/product_123.html

I got 6 of them on a whim at one point (really not sure why...maybe as part of a package deal?). When I got my tricopter kit, I chose those only because I didn't have the hardware to mount the DT-750 motors I also have around. They seem to work well enough, despite the quality issues.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wojcigitty posted:

It could also be a faulty or intermittent motor connection. Make sure those are secure and re-sweat the bullet solder joints if necessary.

I'm pretty confident with my solder joints, but mistakes happen.. I've also had problems with the soldered connections to the stator coils a few times in the past with other motors. I might as well check all of the joints, though...thanks!

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Slanderer posted:

There would have to be some other failure to cause that--the "enamel" coating on the stator wire should have a much higher dielectric breakdown voltage. The fact that it only malfunctions when a propeller is attached means something, but I'm not sure what.

All that stuff can melt and allow the wires to short out. There's more power and higher voltage going through the motor when the prop is on. Not trying to argue with you, I just know that is what happened to my motor. I took it apart and could visually see where it was shorting out. I didn't try mine without the prop, but I could get the motor up to about 1/4 throttle and it worked fine. Past that, it would short out internally.

In any case, I'm only sharing this because I thought it was interesting. Just tossing out ideas of what might have happened to your motor. You're absolutely right that the cost of these motors makes it impractical to try and repair them in a lot of cases (other than bent shafts and whatnot).

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

darknrgy posted:

All that stuff can melt and allow the wires to short out. There's more power and higher voltage going through the motor when the prop is on. Not trying to argue with you, I just know that is what happened to my motor. I took it apart and could visually see where it was shorting out. I didn't try mine without the prop, but I could get the motor up to about 1/4 throttle and it worked fine. Past that, it would short out internally.

In any case, I'm only sharing this because I thought it was interesting. Just tossing out ideas of what might have happened to your motor. You're absolutely right that the cost of these motors makes it impractical to try and repair them in a lot of cases (other than bent shafts and whatnot).

I will echo this, I have had motors that ran fine with no props on them but when the current went up with a prop they would short and stutter. I also had some that would short and stutter once they warmed up. These would also often have no visual signs of shorting.

I have blown up a lot of motors.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Today the judge ruling in Trappy's case versus the FAA dismissed the case and the $10,000 fine totally. The judgement found that the FAA has no authority to regulate commercial use of UAVs until they release their congress-mandated rules in 2015 or later.

The floodgates are open now.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/commercial-drones-are-completely-legal-a-federal-judge-ruled

quote:

For the moment, commercial drones are, unequivocally, legal in American skies after a federal judge has ruled that the Federal Aviation Administration has not made any legally binding rules against it.

The judge dismissed the FAA’s case against Raphael Pirker, the first (and only) person the agency has tried to fine for flying a drone commercially. The agency has repeatedly claimed that flying a drone for commercial purposes is illegal and has said that there’s “no gray area” in the law. The latter now appears to be true, but it hasn’t gone the way the FAA would have hoped. Patrick Geraghty, a judge with the National Transportation Safety Board, ruled that there are no laws against flying a drone commercially.

The FAA attempted to fine the 29-year-old Pirker $10,000 after he used a drone to film a commercial at the University of Virginia. Pirker and his lawyer, Brendan Schulman, fought the case, saying that the FAA has never regulated model aircraft and that it’s entire basis for making them “illegal,” a 2007 policy notice, was not legally binding. The FAA has never undertaken the required public notice necessary to make an official regulation.

Geraghty agreed: The FAA “has not issued an enforceable Federal Acquisition Regulation regulatory rule governing model aircraft operation; has historically exempted model aircraft from the statutory FAR definitions of ‘aircraft’ by relegating model aircraft operations to voluntary compliance with the guidance expressed in [the 2007 policy notice], Respondent’s model aircraft operation was not subject to FAR regulation and enforcement.”

What this means, at least for now, is that you can go fly your drone and charge whatever the hell you want to do it. Beer delivery drones are legal, and so is everything else. It also means that all those companies that have been harassed by the FAA have, at least for the moment, nothing to worry about. The FAA could potentially try to establish an emergency rule, but it’s unclear how long that will take or whether they’ll do it. The FAA did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:eyepop:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I was right about something for once!

Honestly, this might be the most exciting thing to happen in the industry in years.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Hot drat. That's awesome!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awesome! At least there is a legal precedence to lean on (for a while anyway) now.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Yep it's pretty amazing news. I thought the case would drag out forever until they finally had rules but I'm glad the judge acted decisively.

If you read the judgement, it specifically mentions that the FAA has no authority to stop anybody from flying UAVs for commercial purposes and also that the only document the FAA has related to UAV operations is the AC 91-57, the guidelines for model aircraft which are totally voluntary and non-binding.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Its pretty awesome. Hopefully the result isn't knee jerk rushed regulations that are overly restrictive. This really does make the FAA look like a bunch of bads. The tears must be flowing on RC Groups right now.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The first time a commercial photography drone falls out of the sky over a crowded stadium or concert and kills someone things will change in a bad way...

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Slanderer posted:

The first time a commercial photography drone falls out of the sky over a crowded stadium or concert and kills someone things will change in a bad way...

They are still going to make regulations. Its not going to be a wild west for long. Now the FAA will be forced to pull its thumb out of its rear end and make regulations rather than telling everyone to wait.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Vitamin J posted:

If you read the judgement, it specifically mentions that the FAA has no authority to stop anybody from flying UAVs for commercial purposes and also that the only document the FAA has related to UAV operations is the AC 91-57, the guidelines for model aircraft which are totally voluntary and non-binding.

The way I read it, the judge said the FAA can't just pick and choose what they classify as a "model" (completely unregulated) or a "UAV" (special exemptions) or a "commercial aircraft" (fully regulated) arbitrarily, and that their more recent "Notice" bulletins don't carry any enforceable weight because they skipped the regular legislative process for FAA regulations.

So in other words: Until the FAA passes real rules (2015) you're fine flying model craft for pay.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slanderer posted:

This ruling doesn't impact state Trespassing laws, so either that stadium/concert would have to approve its use or the pilot can still be at fault for injury.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Just because the FAA can't fine you for it doesn't mean you won't be held liable for damages/injury. I'm still a pessimist and think that the FAA's gonna pass SOME regulations that preempt a drone free-for-all. Maybe licensing or registration of some kind.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I do understand why the FAA took the position it did, the potential for these cheap UAVs to blot out the sun seems to keep advancing. I'm sure that these things will be falling out of the sky in record numbers. They already are!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8T7Ms8OI3Q

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've just bought a little quadcopter to do a play around with some video stuff. Rather than the legal worries about the FAA, I was wondering what people do in regards to light aircraft? I fly and often pootle around 500-1000 feet AGL, I imagine one could do a lot of expensive damage in an impact.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Colonel K posted:

I've just bought a little quadcopter to do a play around with some video stuff. Rather than the legal worries about the FAA, I was wondering what people do in regards to light aircraft? I fly and often pootle around 500-1000 feet AGL, I imagine one could do a lot of expensive damage in an impact.

First, learn how to read a sectional map : http://skyvector.com/

Never fly anywhere near an airport at any altitude higher than the treetops.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

ease posted:

First, learn how to read a sectional map : http://skyvector.com/

Never fly anywhere near an airport at any altitude higher than the treetops.

Sorry I've realised I wasn't very clear, I'm a PPL and regularly fly my aircraft around at those heights. My concern was more about others who could potentially be flying around in the same airspace. I'm not sure how easy See and avoid would be for small FPV aircraft.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

ease fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 12, 2014

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah, get one of these Turnigy RTF quads (where the parts are pretty good)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dy_to_Fly_.html

And then order a spare DJI clone frame to go with it, so that when the SK450 frame breaks an arm or something, just move all the parts over to the DJI clone.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49725__Q450_V3_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version.html

Just purchased that. Thanks for the recommendation. Anything else I should know?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

front wing flexing posted:

Just purchased that. Thanks for the recommendation. Anything else I should know?

The motors, props, ESCs are all decent quality, so as long as they're not broken from a crash you should be able to just move them over to a new frame if you break one of the frame's arms. The frame this RTF quad is built on is Hobbyking's "SK450" frame. The SK450 arms are really flexy compared to genuine DJI arms which are much much stiffer. The KK2.0 board is decent to get started with. Read all the manuals you can get your hands on. Since you already have a Spektrum DX6i radio, I would suggest that you get a 5-6 channel spektrum receiver and ditch the packaged one the RTF quad comes with. But that's all personal preference really. You're more than welcome to try flying with the cheap pre-packaged radio. Even if you ditch the hobbyking radio, hold onto the it and receiver because you can always make a disposable foamy plane with it later on and give it to a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

CrazyLittle posted:

The motors, props, ESCs are all decent quality, so as long as they're not broken from a crash you should be able to just move them over to a new frame if you break one of the frame's arms. The frame this RTF quad is built on is Hobbyking's "SK450" frame. The SK450 arms are really flexy compared to genuine DJI arms which are much much stiffer. The KK2.0 board is decent to get started with. Read all the manuals you can get your hands on. Since you already have a Spektrum DX6i radio, I would suggest that you get a 5-6 channel spektrum receiver and ditch the packaged one the RTF quad comes with. But that's all personal preference really. You're more than welcome to try flying with the cheap pre-packaged radio. Even if you ditch the hobbyking radio, hold onto the it and receiver because you can always make a disposable foamy plane with it later on and give it to a friend.

I bought that extra DJI clone, is that okay?
This one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49725__Q450_V3_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version.html

Should I swap it out right away or go with the stock frame for a little while?

Also, it comes with two sets of props, one smaller and one larger, whosh one should I use do you think?

And overall good to learn to fly with?

Thanks for the advice.