Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Videotendo posted:

Actually, I think the interview said something more along the line of "Yeah, we were going to make the false positive a plot point in Arkham Knight, but fans were so rabid about the pregnancy that we were afraid that unless Joker's child was the entire focal point of the game, there would be a massive backlash. Especially since it was just a case of 'whoops, nevermind!'" As such, they needed to nip it in the bud before it got out of hand.

I don't really blame them, since The Joker is NOT supposed to be the focus of this game (for once), and that would be really freaking distracting if everyone was more concerned about his baby than, you know, the story they wanted to tell.

Kinda like when Sam Raimi wanted to just do a Black Suit Spiderman story, but everyone was begging for Venom to get involved? Yeah.

I think that's a bit closer to what was said... looking for that video again now. I saw it when it was pretty late last night.

I also saw this too:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Batman-Arkham-Knight-Wal-Mart-Exclusive-PS4/24672897

Looks like the PS4 and One copy of Arkham Knight will be able to get skins for the Batmobile itself. I guess the Batmobile qualifies as a whole seperate "character" now? :v:

The Walmart page doesn't show the PC version as getting this exclusive or the Harley Quinn exclusive. However, GameStop still shows it as getting the preorder DLC.

As for GameStop's own exclusive content, they're giving away a poster. So, Walmart has skins for the Batmobile and GameStop has a poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the PS4 and One copy of Arkham Knight will be able to get skins for the Batmobile itself. I guess the Batmobile qualifies as a whole seperate "character" now? :v:

Great, I bet it handles terribly in the predator challenges. It's going to take forever to get to 100%...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Discendo Vox posted:

Great, I bet it handles terribly in the predator challenges. It's going to take forever to get to 100%...

Warner Bros. can take a loss of a few million, they need to just straight up copy the code from Burnout 2's crash mode for the challenge maps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Videotendo posted:

Actually, I think the interview said something more along the line of "Yeah, we were going to make the false positive a plot point in Arkham Knight, but fans were so rabid about the pregnancy that we were afraid that unless Joker's child was the entire focal point of the game, there would be a massive backlash. Especially since it was just a case of 'whoops, nevermind!'" As such, they needed to nip it in the bud before it got out of hand.

I don't really blame them, since The Joker is NOT supposed to be the focus of this game (for once), and that would be really freaking distracting if everyone was more concerned about his baby than, you know, the story they wanted to tell.

Kinda like when Sam Raimi wanted to just do a Black Suit Spiderman story, but everyone was begging for Venom to get involved? Yeah.

That sounds a lot more reasonable then!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Commissar Ken posted:

THAT NEVER loving HAPPENED LA LA LA LA LA NOT LISTENING!
I'm pretty sure it did. I mean, here's Osborn's o face and everything.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Wasn't one of his enemies a literal child who had a war theme? Plus there was also Baby Doll.

Baby Doll seems like a character who could be seriously disturbing if included in a game like this. Especially if they kept the romance with Killer Croc. :barf:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
There will be a crossover with Super Meat Boy and the Arkham Knight will be Dr. Fetus.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Calaveron posted:

I'm pretty sure it did. I mean, here's Osborn's o face and everything.

Wrong, this is his O face:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
At the risk of being off-topic, why is the Green Goblin screwing Gwen Stacy? :stare:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is it worth the 32 bucks or so through GMG to pick up and play Arkham Origins before this comes out? Or is it still a mess?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At the risk of being off-topic, why is the Green Goblin screwing Gwen Stacy? :stare:

Bad Writing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

They were going to do an arc where it turned out Gwen Stacy had Peter Parker's kids before she died. They were told they can't do this so they went for the obvious compromise.

Alternately: Bad Writing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Origins is good and worth playing, just not quite as polished as Rocksteady's games. It's still kind of buggy and they've flat-out said they've moved on and aren't going to patch it anymore, but they're not game-breaking bugs. Just your cape will spaz out once in a while, it won't register blocks or target enemies right so you'll lose your combo, things like that. To me the worst part was the tiered upgrade system, which makes you do dumb challenges or work your way up dumb challenge ladders to get specific abilities rather than just be able to buy them flat-out with XP. It's a fun game, just annoying at times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it was definitely the "worst" of the three games but I still pumped 89 hours into the game and enjoyed most every part of it. It's very hard to screw up the formula that Rocksteady put together.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Origins really ruined me on the Arkham formula just by doing nothing really new and anything it tried to do differently was mishandled to all hell. Most of the bosses sucked, Deathstroke and Firefly being the only two I really liked, and the tiered upgrade system is just awful. Rocksteady doing Arkham Knight gives me hope, but I dunno I'm kind of soured on the formula at this point.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The general consensus is that even the *worst* Arkham game is still a great video game by most standards.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Origins really ruined me on the Arkham formula just by doing nothing really new and anything it tried to do differently was mishandled to all hell. Most of the bosses sucked, Deathstroke and Firefly being the only two I really liked, and the tiered upgrade system is just awful. Rocksteady doing Arkham Knight gives me hope, but I dunno I'm kind of soured on the formula at this point.

I agree to a point. Origins' over-emphasis on the combat sections, and their unfortunate retooling left me a bit burnt out on those bits, but Rocksteady tends to have a better balance with the stealth sections. And if they can return things to their better paced combat flow, I'm sure I'll be happy in three years when I can afford a next gen console.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I really think the whole firefly segment was the best the Arkham games have done so far.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

S.J. posted:

Is it worth the 32 bucks or so through GMG to pick up and play Arkham Origins before this comes out? Or is it still a mess?

I would recommend waiting to see if there's a GOTY edition. At that point it's the most likely time they'll fix the remaining game-breaking bugs- plus, all the DLC for free!

HenessyHero posted:

I really think the whole firefly segment was the best the Arkham games have done so far.

Really? The boss was a combination of jumping back and forth in a row and quicktime events. It was a linear level with a linear structure that was completely and artificially divorced from the rest of the plot and environment.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it was definitely the "worst" of the three games but I still pumped 89 hours into the game and enjoyed most every part of it. It's very hard to screw up the formula that Rocksteady put together.
I didn't really miss any of the features in AO when I went back to play AC. It was more or less the same, give or take a few things. I actually missed the REC from AC more than any new gadgets they gave you in AO. AO did have more interesting combat enemies but they were purely combat only (Venom user, Martial artist, all flavours of enforcers).

AO really didn't do much in terms of predator design other than nerfing one of the gadgets (REC) and give you one that is rather fun at least, I guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was pretty disappointed that the Joker was the villain again but I thought he was really well portrayed in that game, pretty close to Hamill's Joker. Troy Baker did a great job too though I think he should've done more of his own thing instead of trying to imitate Hamill(though to be fair this probably wasn't his decision).

Overall Origins was easily the worst of the Arkham games but still really good. The only thing that really soured me on the game were the bugs on release.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Discendo Vox posted:

Really? The boss was a combination of jumping back and forth in a row and quicktime events. It was a linear level with a linear structure that was completely and artificially divorced from the rest of the plot and environment.

The segment as a whole I mean. There were heaps of hostages to rescue, bombs on a timer, a partial bridge collapse to navigate, back-to-back predator sections with a gargoyle-less room and a pretty decent boss fight to cap it off. The pacing on the whole was great too. That was about peak Batman of the series so far imho. Normally in Arkham games you just track a villain to his hub without any danger or sense of urgency; that segment felt like you were actually stopping a grand-scale plot in motion that's on the verge of succeeding.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I enjoyed Origins. Every mechanic was a level less polished than their Rocksteady counterparts which is evident if you ever tried to cross that loving bridge while NOT going over the top. Plus the upgrade system where you have to do everything IN ORDER was the worst goddamned thing and threw my loving OCD for a loop when I realized i'd passed one of the two rooms in the game you can only do one of those predator challenges on. Luckily you go back when you do the Deadshot fight. That all being said i'll give them credit where credit is due, they gave me not only one but two interesting Bane fights and that's more than I got out of City or Asylum. Firefly and Deathstroke were different enough too to be interesting. Everything else was firmly settled in 'that's fine, still fun' territory.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

I enjoyed Origins. Every mechanic was a level less polished than their Rocksteady counterparts which is evident if you ever tried to cross that loving bridge while NOT going over the top. Plus the upgrade system where you have to do everything IN ORDER was the worst goddamned thing and threw my loving OCD for a loop when I realized i'd passed one of the two rooms in the game you can only do one of those predator challenges on. Luckily you go back when you do the Deadshot fight. That all being said i'll give them credit where credit is due, they gave me not only one but two interesting Bane fights and that's more than I got out of City or Asylum. Firefly and Deathstroke were different enough too to be interesting. Everything else was firmly settled in 'that's fine, still fun' territory.

You've basically written my opinion out for me. The game was very, very Batman and had plenty of solid fun to squeeze out of it in spades - but the polish was lacking in areas and it showed. But like I said above - A bad 'Arkham' game is still a fantastic 'Video Game'.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I thought the "Batman Gambit" that makes up the climax was neat: "I must kill this guy without killing him and compromising my morals or Joker will kill Gordon!" is a very wonderfully comic style Batman dilemma, and the fact that the player actually had control for most of it was nice instead of just showing a cutscene. Actually, I thought the entire finale from Firefly on was very entertaining and built itself up well - in some games I honestly am not sure when a climax is coming (I was shocked Lord of Shadows 2 was over when it was, since the pacing of events didn't really build up to a climax at all), but Origins climax actually is a height that it reaches.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I liked Origins, but I soured on Warner Bros Montreal when they announced that they were too busy making DLC to fix the disastrous number of bugs in their game. Origins is a genuinely good game, but knowing what I do now about its bug history, I'm not sure I would buy it again.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Commissar Ken posted:

This is the most perfect description of Origins, although I'll be honest and say I found the story to be the best out of all the Arkham games.

CuwiKhons posted:

I liked Origins, but I soured on Warner Bros Montreal when they announced that they were too busy making DLC to fix the disastrous number of bugs in their game. Origins is a genuinely good game, but knowing what I do now about its bug history, I'm not sure I would buy it again.

On the one hand this sucks, on the other, other companies do this without actually telling people anything.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

CuwiKhons posted:

Almost all of my posts here have been about arkham Origins bugs, and my dude is still hanging out somewhere in the Ether because I picked a room with a datapack at "My Alibi".

I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of restarting my original game to get the disarm combo again.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

doctor 7 posted:

On the one hand this sucks, on the other, other companies do this without actually telling people anything.

Somehow I feel like that's actually better. At least other companies don't say to their customer's faces that they're not interested in fixing the parts of the game you already bought when they could be making poo poo you have to pay for.

Lie to me, man! Give me hope!

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I hope Cold Cold Heart has a large portion set solely in Wayne Manor, and not just the intro: Freeze could take it over and it'd be a great throwback to Arkham Asylum Metroidvania style, but probably replaced with frozen doors you need to break and security systems to disarm.

Videotendo
Jan 5, 2011

Button Masher

S.J. posted:

Well, I played Origins for the first time relatively recently, and from what I experienced, there weren't any game breaking bugs. There was one bugged puzzle (which I fixed by reloading) and couple hilarious ragdoll glitches when bad guys got mangled in electric fences, but nothing that made the game frustrating.

It may just be that my expectations were really low going in, or maybe I just missed the worst of the bugs after they were ironed out, but I ended up enjoying the game a lot more than people lead me to believe. Hell, I was more engaged overall than I was with Arkham City.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
I just finished all the Riddler stuff after beating Arkham Asylum. I don't think I'm going to do the challenge maps. That's not really the part I enjoyed most about the game. I already own Arkham City. Got both in a humble bundle. Is there as much Riddler stuff in that one as well? Are the "riddles" less stupid.

Finding all the Riddler stuff in the game was my favorite part but man were the riddles dumb. I would love a game centered on the Riddler as the main villain, but they would really need an intelligent writer to write an intelligent villain, and that doesn't seem to be a strength for this developer.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They don't do the 'Riddles' in City and Origins. Instead, it's complicated arrangements of chickenwire, pressure plates and batarang targets, with the occasional trapped room to navigate.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

BoredMarc posted:

I just finished all the Riddler stuff after beating Arkham Asylum. I don't think I'm going to do the challenge maps. That's not really the part I enjoyed most about the game. I already own Arkham City. Got both in a humble bundle. Is there as much Riddler stuff in that one as well? Are the "riddles" less stupid.

Finding all the Riddler stuff in the game was my favorite part but man were the riddles dumb. I would love a game centered on the Riddler as the main villain, but they would really need an intelligent writer to write an intelligent villain, and that doesn't seem to be a strength for this developer.

Elfface posted:

They don't do the 'Riddles' in City and Origins. Instead, it's complicated arrangements of chickenwire, pressure plates and batarang targets, with the occasional trapped room to navigate.

Essentially what Eifface is saying is that in City and Origins, all the Riddler poo poo is a bunch of platforming BS. Some of them will really piss you off too. The one on the boat in Origins used to make me want to rip my hair out because I couldn't just get it ( until I finally did ).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Oh wow you guys have faulty memory. City had riddles too, in the form of the Gotham stories bits. Asylum also had the platforming puzzles in the riddler trophies too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BoredMarc posted:

I would love a game centered on the Riddler as the main villain, but they would really need an intelligent writer to write an intelligent villain, and that doesn't seem to be a strength for this developer.

Yeah from the minute that final confrontation with Joker begins in Asylum it was pretty obvious that the writing isn't Rocksteady's strong point. Maybe we'll be lucky and they got whoever wrote Warner Bros. Montreal's installment involved in Arkham Knight. City's story was pretty dumb too but Asylum was even worse because the first half of it or so is pretty intense as you learn more about the back room dealings that allowed for Joker to access and get work done on new venom and stuff. So it's an even bigger letdown when the final boss is what it is. It was even worse if you had the game on PS3 because of how awesome normal Joker's moves are in his challenge maps.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Didn't Dini write Asylum/City?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't Dini write Asylum/City?

I believe so, doesn't mean they're any good. It often happens with games though when they get a real novelist/tv writer/etc., the writer might have some good ideas and a halfway decent script but once game developers mangle that into a playable form, I mean remember when Gears of War was listed as a "tactical military horror" game?

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey
I picked up Origins on steam last week and did a play through, finishing last night. I didn't actually pick up on any bugs during my play-through, although whether that's because they were fixed or I was just not being all that observant is a toss-up. I did enjoy the game, my main issue was that Death-Strokes boss fight felt a little unfair given how early on in the game the fight was.

Videotendo posted:

Well, I played Origins for the first time relatively recently, and from what I experienced, there weren't any game breaking bugs. There was one bugged puzzle (which I fixed by reloading) and couple hilarious ragdoll glitches when bad guys got mangled in electric fences, but nothing that made the game frustrating.

It may just be that my expectations were really low going in, or maybe I just missed the worst of the bugs after they were ironed out, but I ended up enjoying the game a lot more than people lead me to believe. Hell, I was more engaged overall than I was with Arkham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenessyHero posted:

The segment as a whole I mean. There were heaps of hostages to rescue, bombs on a timer, a partial bridge collapse to navigate, back-to-back predator sections with a gargoyle-less room and a pretty decent boss fight to cap it off. The pacing on the whole was great too. That was about peak Batman of the series so far imho. Normally in Arkham games you just track a villain to his hub without any danger or sense of urgency; that segment felt like you were actually stopping a grand-scale plot in motion that's on the verge of succeeding.

Additionally, Firefly's segment served to begin the partnership between Batman and Gordon.

Firefly's segment of the game had so many great things about it. It's probably the only part of Origins I can replay multiple times without getting bored.

• Locked thread