Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At least Johnny Bosch shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wish someone better than Linkara was doing a retrospective on Power Rangers, but in the time it's taken him to do them I've watched almost all the seasons on Netflix myself anyway, without a rage-driven spergy nerd with a shrill voice nitpicking the tiniest little things and turning it into a 35 minute rant. I'm sure he's going to completely hate RPM somehow and I can imagine that's the first time he'll watch the Sentai and then just put RPM down for not being anything like the source :v:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Flameingblack posted:

I wish someone better than Linkara was doing a retrospective on Power Rangers, but in the time it's taken him to do them I've watched almost all the seasons on Netflix myself anyway, without a rage-driven spergy nerd with a shrill voice nitpicking the tiniest little things and turning it into a 35 minute rant. I'm sure he's going to completely hate RPM somehow and I can imagine that's the first time he'll watch the Sentai and then just put RPM down for not being anything like the source :v:

I'm doing one! In the most excruciating way possible by reviewing every single episode. I'm not even out of season 3 and been doing this every weekday since July 1st. In any case, we have two episodes that look at seasons 1 and 2 as a whole and we actually try to compare Power Rangers to sentai. Here's my website with all of the episodes. Maybe when I get done with Season 3 I'll just switch to Linkara's style and turn it into a general Toku podcast.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Flameingblack posted:

I couldn't agree more! I barely made it ten minutes into his one on In Space before I couldn't take it anymore. The idea is solid, but he's just so dull and annoying that it's a chore to sit through.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Just chiming into this thread that Podcasters with Attitude is a really nice podcast to listen to, especially when commuting, and I think Jason, Wade, and Burk are cool people. Also, if you guys want a commentator for Mystic Force, I'm perfectly willing to sub :allears:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Solaris Knight posted:

Just chiming into this thread that Podcasters with Attitude is a really nice podcast to listen to, especially when commuting, and I think Jason, Wade, and Burk are cool people. Also, if you guys want a commentator for Mystic Force, I'm perfectly willing to sub :allears:

Yeah, totally. It's always nice to have some fresh opinions and voices. Just hit me up on Skype when you get the chance. Username is liarlyresa

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

We're cool people? Oh God how did that happen?!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Burkion posted:

We're cool people? Oh God how did that happen?!

Talkin' about Power Rangers does that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here, have a Norwegian nerd/metal vocalist singing arrangements of all the PR themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CU2HEKJzk

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Th most impressive part of that video is he salvaged Mystic Force and Operatioon Overdrive's themes.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Solaris Knight posted:

salvaged Mystic Force theme.

Mystic Force's theme is great and doesn't need salvaging :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That was surprisingly pretty awesome.

His accent might just be the thing which made the song really great, though. I'm a sucker for vocalists like Ville Valo and Joacim Cans. I think I just dig scandinavian singers :3:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Mystic Force's theme is terrible, and this is coming from someone who unironically enjoyed the One Piece Pirate Rap.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mystic Force's opening is godly compared to whatever the hell RPM's was.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Here, have a Norwegian nerd/metal vocalist singing arrangements of all the PR themes:

This is the greatest thing, holy poo poo. I can't stop listening to this dude now.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The only thing I can feel for people that don't appreciate Mystic Force's off-brand Outkast jam is pity.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Box of Bunnies posted:

The only thing I can feel for people that don't appreciate Mystic Force's off-brand Outkast jam is pity.

It's seriously catchy as poo poo! Not to mention the acoustic version that played during the finishing attacks was amazing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tae posted:

Mystic Force's opening is godly compared to whatever the hell RPM's was.
Looks like you couldn't Get in gear. :c00l:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ninja Storm, Jungle Fury and Lightspeed Rescue or GTFO.

EDIT-NO-JUTSU: I actually think Jungle Fury is really underrated, and this is speaking as someone who really liked Gekiranger. The guy who played RJ was actually very good at selling the faux-Jack Sparrow/Mr Miagi side of the character, but still able to shift into being kind of a badass when needed. The shades as morphers was a neat and silly idea, which was more a problem just because the props looked really cheap. And they actually did a decent job with a fairly straight adaptation of the sentai, but using the Spirit Rangers to sidestep the animal suits. Plus the the chorus of the theme is just really cheerful and smile-inducing.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 7, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed Rescue had a weird pairing. Like, their songs went together really well and didn't really connect with the songs from the shows before and after them. Watching that dude's medley, too, you can really see a drop off in song quality after Disney got in on it. The Ninja Storm song is good, but after that it's just somehow even more bargain basement than Aaron Waters, the poorly-paid Saban intern whose rough draft track became the actual theme song to MMPR.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Lost Galaxy and Lightspeed Rescue had a weird pairing. Like, their songs went together really well and didn't really connect with the songs from the shows before and after them. Watching that dude's medley, too, you can really see a drop off in song quality after Disney got in on it. The Ninja Storm song is good, but after that it's just somehow even more bargain basement than Aaron Waters, the poorly-paid Saban intern whose rough draft track became the actual theme song to MMPR.

Uh, a drop in quality? Sir,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFu2EIj5b20

:colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh right, I forgot Wasserman came back for that :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I disagree in the immediate drop-off. They hit off 3 good ones in a row for Ninja, Dino, SPD, and Mystic is where they start the dark streak of not having a good opening to this day for power rangers.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think what tends to be the issue with the openings is that, since mystic force at least, its often the lyrics that have sucked, as opposed to the music itself. Like, the instrumentals aren't actually that bad, they actually have a rhythm and a feel for their series, though admittedly Operation Overdrive's does sort of... drop, in the middle. Honestly, the worst Disney theme as its own music is probably RPM's, but otherwise, most of the tone which I say throws people off is the lyrics themselves. And this extends into the Saban 2.0 era, since Go Go Power Rangers on its own ain't so bad, but there's something about the way its sung that just doesn't feel as satisfying.

Also, clip from the new episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sh5d5wSmsw

I like the rangers actually addressing the whole deal of how they can't just purely play defense, and also getting psyched about using the skyship, but how the heck did Saban goof up on the Animarium's name? Did they think it was a plural or something?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

What are you talking about, Animaria was the name of the base of Power Rangers: Animal Squadron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
...In Space is the best "Power Rangers" season, Time Force is the best actual television. There. That's the facts of Power Rangers.

"Time Force", for the record, includes the crossover with Wild Force.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

The music is great. His singing is way too high pitched though given the original vocalists for most of those tracks so it feels unnatural in that sense. Is there a version without him singing?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Time Force is the best actual television.

Did Time Force do the gigantic plot twist from Timeranger where the original Timeranger leader in the future was the original TimeFire and also a goddamn supervillain who set the entire series in motion?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did Time Force do the gigantic plot twist from Timeranger where the original Timeranger leader in the future was the original TimeFire and also a goddamn supervillain who set the entire series in motion?

There's a twist, but not that dark. Original Time Red died, but really didn't and was the one sending zords to the team, then semi-takes over for the finale before giving the team back.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

I watched Timeranger after Time Force and this plot twist blew my loving mind and really made me wish Time Force had done it too. Especially since the part Tae mentioned was very poorly written

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

No, but they gave the villain a legit point. Basically, Ransik is pissed with how, in the future, people have kinda become racists with regards to mutants, as genetic deviants, even though in many cases its just a pure accident they end up born that way. They get profiled as monsters and criminals, and whilst yes many in the series are clearly shown that way, that's probably a personal choice with each of them, rather than something inherent.

What the show ultimately concludes though is that Ransik unfortunately met a hateful minority, and then through his own actions effectively perpetuated the stigma and hatred against his kind. It takes almost killing his own daughter for him to realise he's got some perspective issues.

Also new clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnmssfx4aZ0

As gets pointed out in the comments, they somehow bungled a basic falling clip.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Clearly the red lion hit them all the way back to 1997.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So if you guys noticed, when the costumes look like soft cloth, that means it's original footage. I heavily assume that's most of the episode's footage because the timeline in Gokaiger is that it's a few episodes after the 6th member joins and it's centered around him.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The cold open was Gokaiger 17.
The black ranger footage was from Gokaiger 3.
The rest was from Gokaiger 9.

Also, the Saban Wild Force rangers don't have claws.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

The cold open was Gokaiger 17.
The black ranger footage was from Gokaiger 3.
The rest was from Gokaiger 9.

The majority of the footage (where the villain came from), the Gokaigers were using Turboranger powers. That's why I said original.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of Turboranger, anyone know why the Titanium Ranger was based on the Turboranger suits in stead of GoGo V?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Liar Lyre posted:

Speaking of Turboranger, anyone know why the Titanium Ranger was based on the Turboranger suits in stead of GoGo V?

I'd assume to set him apart from the other Lightspeed rangers other than just 'being grey'

And it worked pretty well!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably that, combined with "It worked when we stole from Dairanger".

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Liar Lyre posted:

Maybe they got their hands on a Turboranger suit somehow and figured that if they were adding a new ranger, they might as well cut costs and use what they had at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dr Tran posted:

Actually they did but it usually only showed up in the roll call

in fact right in the first episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67t9tB5MUI