Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Leif. posted:

Wow, gently caress my former boss. Thanks for welping $20 million in investment because you have a grudge against me.

Care to elaborate? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Without going into too much detail, I burned bridges with my boss on the way out. In my EER suicide box -- some of you have seen it -- I spoke my mind and called out her bullshit, but was not at all unfair or disrespectful. Again, without going into specifics, she went out of her way to insult me and my client who was so pissed, he's pulling his plans for a $20 million investment -- he already was a bit on the fence, and this was the last straw. Which means, most likely I'm not going to have this client in the future.

I'm not talking a scrub company either. I'm talking a #1 worldwide market leader, Fortune 100 company, with billions in revenue, and I brought them the senior-most executives (C-suite level) fully and preemptively authorized to make any decisions on this.

You'd think the Economic Counselor would be chomping at the bit for that, especially in a country with less than 300 US businesses, of which maybe 15-20 are more than small businesses. But ultimately, I guess being petty overcame doing her job.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That's... Uh.... drat. :stare:

Now I kind of want to read what you wrote.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tyro posted:

That's... Uh.... drat. :stare:

Now I kind of want to read what you wrote.

If I remember right it wasn't a BOOM HOLY gently caress but, there was something. Still there's a difference on the 1829 (or whatever that number is) vs 5055 in terms of how you can bash your rater and get it through panel.

In any event, if anybody here really wants to go big on their EER when heading out the door, please give a few of us a heads up.

Edit: I also just found out you can grieve a promo board. Who knew? Don't do it unless you're getting ticked out or you have ten mentors/prior review panel dudes saying your poo poo was awesome

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 5, 2014

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Leif. posted:

Without going into too much detail, I burned bridges with my boss on the way out. In my EER suicide box -- some of you have seen it -- I spoke my mind and called out her bullshit, but was not at all unfair or disrespectful. Again, without going into specifics, she went out of her way to insult me and my client who was so pissed, he's pulling his plans for a $20 million investment -- he already was a bit on the fence, and this was the last straw. Which means, most likely I'm not going to have this client in the future.

I'm not talking a scrub company either. I'm talking a #1 worldwide market leader, Fortune 100 company, with billions in revenue, and I brought them the senior-most executives (C-suite level) fully and preemptively authorized to make any decisions on this.

You'd think the Economic Counselor would be chomping at the bit for that, especially in a country with less than 300 US businesses, of which maybe 15-20 are more than small businesses. But ultimately, I guess being petty overcame doing her job.

I'm still confused but maybe this isn't the place for clarifications. How do FSOs have "clients"? If they were from your previous life, how'd you keep them as clients while in the FS (conflict of interest issues aside) and/or how did you get them back so that you'd be in a position to lose them? I'm assuming we're talking about an investment in the host country, right? Regardless, seems like a helluva story and I hope to catch you next time your in town. I'd assumed you'd be moving back when you got out but I must've missed a memo.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Nutrimentia posted:

I'm still confused but maybe this isn't the place for clarifications. How do FSOs have "clients"? If they were from your previous life, how'd you keep them as clients while in the FS (conflict of interest issues aside) and/or how did you get them back so that you'd be in a position to lose them? I'm assuming we're talking about an investment in the host country, right? Regardless, seems like a helluva story and I hope to catch you next time your in town. I'd assumed you'd be moving back when you got out but I must've missed a memo.

Uh, Leif. can clarify, but he's been out of the FS for a bit now.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

TCD posted:

Uh, Leif. can clarify, but he's been out of the FS for a bit now.

Yeah, I knew that. We came in at the same time, same class. :) I knew he was out, just confused as to how this deal went down. This is a client he gained after leaving the FS and then he sent them to the prev post? He hasn't been out for that long... It doesn't really matter, sucks that this is working out like this. Hardest part of the FS is working with diplomats....

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah, it's a client that I picked up after leaving the FS.

Also as far as moving, I sort of moved back -- up to Boston. I'm back in the host country this week solely for this trip.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Gotcha. Yeah, the passive-aggressive attitudes in this job can be infuriating. Sucks that you lost a client and too bad for the host country that would have benefited from the investment.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'll deal, but consider it a cautionary tale for how you as FSOs treat "civilians." (Incidentally, this broader principle is applicable to any public service job -- police, Congress etc.) Ultimately, you have to remember that they are not accountable to your rules and are not bound by your limitations as an FSO/USG official. Basically, don't get trapped inside a bubble of the diplo community. The way you can talk to someone, or the authority you can exert within the confines of the Embassy walls are not necessarily applicable outside, and it's easy to forget that your mission is not to feed the bureaucratic machine, it's to support U.S. foreign policy objectives, including providing services to Americans abroad.

As it turns out in this specific case, the host country has been incredibly accommodating with access. Obviously part of that is because I know who, how, and what to ask for, but at this point, there is literally nothing access-wise that the Embassy could do for me that I can't do more effectively on my own (and when I do it myself as a private citizen, I don't have to submit a dip note and wait 2 weeks to not get a response.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wrangling with the personal narratives portion of the FSOT application again (third time's the charm, hopefully). Anyone got any links or advice on writing up this bullshit?

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Shageletic posted:

Wrangling with the personal narratives portion of the FSOT application again (third time's the charm, hopefully). Anyone got any links or advice on writing up this bullshit?

Be sure to answer the question (seems obvious, but you'd be surprised). Use active voice. Frame the answer with consideration of the 13Ds. Don't try to write within the character limits on the first draft; say what you want to say first, then revise it to say it better, within the limits.

Good luck!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Nutrimentia posted:

Gotcha. Yeah, the passive-aggressive attitudes in this job can be infuriating. Sucks that you lost a client and too bad for the host country that would have benefited from the investment.

I was kinda surprised about how much of this I am hearing. Had a field trip with a few agents and it almost sounds endemic how many sexist or downright assholish people are able to cling on to their jobs. Almost seems endemic.

Edit: There are other instances that come to mind. I just found it kind of odd.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 6, 2014

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
My theory is that good people get fed up and leave, thus increase the so-called signal::noise ratio as you move up the ranks. Others have blamed the previous selection process, but I think it goes way beyond that. The State Department is often criticized for its poor cultivation of management skills and lack of a career training culture/mentality, which also contributes mightily. If State would work on training better managers, it would go a long way to making this a better place to work, as it would both reduce the frustrations of new employees and check the excesses of the veterans. Unfortunately, everyone seems to focus solely on the job at hand and personnel development isn't prioritized institutionally. The ever-changing nature of assignments also leads to a situation where its really just easier/ more efficient to wait it out rather than fix a problem.

All those complaints being what they are, this is still a fantastic job with fantastic people. It's just the problems that get talked about the most, partly because they are so unexpected by most.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nutrimentia posted:

Be sure to answer the question (seems obvious, but you'd be surprised). Use active voice. Frame the answer with consideration of the 13Ds. Don't try to write within the character limits on the first draft; say what you want to say first, then revise it to say it better, within the limits.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

If I remember right it wasn't a BOOM HOLY gently caress but, there was something. Still there's a difference on the 1829 (or whatever that number is) vs 5055 in terms of how you can bash your rater and get it through panel.

In any event, if anybody here really wants to go big on their EER when heading out the door, please give a few of us a heads up.

Edit: I also just found out you can grieve a promo board. Who knew? Don't do it unless you're getting ticked out or you have ten mentors/prior review panel dudes saying your poo poo was awesome

you can 'grief' anyone I believe, even M. Yes, that M. You'd better be drat sure (of your way out), though. Also grievances or EEOs against Housing Boards have the unintended consenquences of being hilarious.

Nutrimentia posted:

My theory is that good people get fed up and leave, thus increase the so-called signal::noise ratio as you move up the ranks. The State Department is often criticized for its poor cultivation of management skills and lack of a career training culture/mentality, which also contributes mightily.

to be fair, I believe they addressed this issue somewhat; the FSOA is evolving and they are more stringent in their reviews. You are also taking into account the civil side where the very same problems (entrance to the grave) plague every Government bureau. Then you throw promotion in the mix, who "should" be promoted is not always the person who is.. Maybe I am fortunate but most of the managers I have bene under always advocate training; it's more of a budget issue when they refuse. It appears a portion of people don't want to advocate or stir any nests or have a different idea of "pick your battles."

in other news.. new assignment!

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Moldova? Congratulations! I've heard really great things about the Ambassador there.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

you can 'grief' anyone I believe, even M. Yes, that M. You'd better be drat sure (of your way out), though. Also grievances or EEOs against Housing Boards have the unintended consenquences of being hilarious.

to be fair, I believe they addressed this issue somewhat; the FSOA is evolving and they are more stringent in their reviews. You are also taking into account the civil side where the very same problems (entrance to the grave) plague every Government bureau. Then you throw promotion in the mix, who "should" be promoted is not always the person who is.. Maybe I am fortunate but most of the managers I have bene under always advocate training; it's more of a budget issue when they refuse. It appears a portion of people don't want to advocate or stir any nests or have a different idea of "pick your battles."

in other news.. new assignment!

Hey, my neck of the world!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Leif. posted:

Nope, it's an auto-filter for people without accounts, and people will sometimes jump on you for using it once you're registered. SA is a great community, just proceed slowly and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the clarification, Leif, TCD and Tyro.

But I guess it doesn't matter anymore. At my OA earlier this week, I passed the group exercise and structured interview, but I must have dropped a steaming turd on the case management exercise because I finished with an unspectacular 5.0. I am so disappointed, especially because I know how hard it is to make it to this point.

Anyway, this was my first OA experience, but my third candidacy overall. I'll just have to try again next October and take that stupid FSOT again. I wish I could just skip that round. It's a loving timesink that I have passed all three times. I wish State would give candidates two attempts within a six-month period to pass the OA before forcing them to start over. Now I have to make it through the QEP round again, and that is not guaranteed--especially now. (I only passed that round once--my just failed candidacy.)

I'll keep reading this board and contribute where I can. Sorry I couldn't join the party, but I'm not going to give up. Maybe the fourth time will be a charm!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Is anyone familiar with a company called Gap Solutions, Inc.? Just got an e-mail for a job interview out of the blue from Indeed. Apparently the position is within State. Only an admin position though which seems like low hanging fruit, though.

Could be a start though. As it is now I am set to be homeless by the start of April, internship doesn't end till mid-April. Gotta figure out what I am doing.

Edit: Hmm, rudimentary Google search and Glass Door tells me to look elsewhere.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey Zzonk, sorry to hear that. I had a suspicion when you didn't come back posting jubilantly the same day. Rough to get so far and then not make it. Sounds like you know what to focus on for next time though - keep on truckin!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some days, I look around me and smile in happiness and delight to be surrounded by so many intelligent, funny, hardworking people who care passionately about the same things I do.

On days like today, I contemplate setting an entire bureau on fire for gross incompetence and total lack of listening/reading/life comprehension.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

the_chavi posted:

On days like today, I contemplate setting an entire bureau on fire for gross incompetence and total lack of listening/reading/life comprehension.

I unofficially support you in this endeavor.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
In the wake of the (probable) crash of the Malaysian airliner, it got me thinking. Which airlines do FSOs typically use to hop from country to country? Could any FSOs have been on that doomed flight? News reports say 4 Americans (including an infant) were on the plane.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I think United is the preferred airline. But the important thing is getting there and that means using a variety of airlines even if they're a little dicey sometimes. I remember a story about an ambassador to a former Soviet republic arriving after a trip on the local airline and finding that he couldn't get out of his seat because his long coat had been sucked through a crack in the fuselage. He had to leave it while it unfroze.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

zzonkmiles posted:

In the wake of the (probable) crash of the Malaysian airliner, it got me thinking. Which airlines do FSOs typically use to hop from country to country? Could any FSOs have been on that doomed flight? News reports say 4 Americans (including an infant) were on the plane.

Fly America act requires that for official travel you must use an American flagged carrier or a code share when possible.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zzonkmiles posted:

American-flagged carriers are the rule, and contract carriers between certain city pairs on domestic and heavily-travelled foreign routes. (GAO has negotiated set fees on flights between certain cities - for example, if you're flying from Dallas to DC on official business, you must take American unless there are exceptional circumstances that mitigate going around the contract carrier, like a strike on that one airline.) Once you get to situations where you are flying from one foreign city to another, you usually can't take an American-flagged carrier, so you have some leeway. Individual posts may put restrictions on what air carriers you can and cannot take; for example, in some high-threat posts certain air carriers do not have sufficiently robust security checks at the airport, so you may be restricted by the RSO from taking flights on certain carriers.

As for what airlines FSOs prefer inside those strictures? Most of us rack up miles inside one of the big air codeshare and reward networks, so either Star Alliance or Sky Team. It depends on what region of the world you're flying. For me, with most of my tours and personal travel occurring in the Middle East, I have racked up about a quarter-million miles in Star Alliance, because United/Lufthansa/Turkish Airlines are the easiest ways for me to get to where I want to go.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Strudelmeyer posted:

Fly America act requires that for official travel you must use an American flagged carrier or a code share when possible.

Also, taking a code share flight with an American carrier is often but not exclusively allowed under Fly America provisions. For example, if you're flying from DC to Istanbul, you can't take the Turkish Airlines codeshared direct flight, nor can you take the direct United flight from Newark to Istanbul, because the contract route from DC to Istanbul requires that you take a flight to Europe (usually Frankfurt, but can be others like Munich or Paris (if you're a masochist)).

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

zzonkmiles posted:

Flying Safi Airways into Kabul is always fun.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

zzonkmiles posted:

I've heard from one FSO and her family who frequently use that carrier. They were fairly shaken up hearing the news.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I wish the GSA would get a contract with Southwest for domestic flights. United and American are so goddamned terrible.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

I wish the GSA would get a contract with Southwest for domestic flights. United and American are so goddamned terrible. Air travel sucks in USA.

Do you guys have to go through a corporate ticketing office or can you guys make your own travel arrangements as long as it's under the guidelines of Fly America Act?

How about hotels?

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

caberham posted:

Do you guys have to go through a corporate ticketing office or can you guys make your own travel arrangements as long as it's under the guidelines of Fly America Act?

How about hotels?

We have to book through our travel office as they have access to book at the negotiated fares.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

the_chavi posted:

Also, taking a code share flight with an American carrier is often but not exclusively allowed under Fly America provisions. For example, if you're flying from DC to Istanbul, you can't take the Turkish Airlines codeshared direct flight, nor can you take the direct United flight from Newark to Istanbul, because the contract route from DC to Istanbul requires that you take a flight to Europe (usually Frankfurt, but can be others like Munich or Paris (if you're a masochist)).

To get to Tbilisi we get the joy of spending 8 or 13 hours in Munich since the flight from Munich to Tbilisi leaves around 9pm and gets in at 4am!

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
You don't have to buy through the travel office though. In my limited experience, it's recommended to go that route when cost constructing though.

This summer my family and I were reunited as a unit after they stayed back on my first tour due to a variety of issues. We bought our own tickets, all on the same flight. Mine was ticketed through United, theirs through ANA (my wife got their tickets and I didn't even think to mention this to her, plus she usually tickets through United). When I submitted the travel voucher, I got reimbursed for mine but they wouldn't for reimburse theirs. Was disappointing but thems the rules.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Wait, what? You don't always have to use Carlson Wagonlit (sp?) to book tickets? I thought that was just what you had to do once you had travel orders.

Do you have little more flexibility if you book yourself? Whatever the case, I'd like to avoid not getting reimbursed by doing something wrong.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You can do whatever you want, but it's a good idea to have some justification for the price you're claiming. Carson Wagonlit can provide a base rate to do a cost construct off of if you need to. Sometimes Carlson Wagonlit can't really provide a rate because the only reasonable flights are budget airlines that only take direct bookings, or your going by train or car or whatever. You can talk those cases over with your FMO, but it's usually pretty easy to do.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

zzonkmiles posted:

Thanks for the clarification, Leif, TCD and Tyro.

But I guess it doesn't matter anymore. At my OA earlier this week, I passed the group exercise and structured interview, but I must have dropped a steaming turd on the case management exercise because I finished with an unspectacular 5.0. I am so disappointed, especially because I know how hard it is to make it to this point.

Anyway, this was my first OA experience, but my third candidacy overall. I'll just have to try again next October and take that stupid FSOT again. I wish I could just skip that round. It's a loving timesink that I have passed all three times. I wish State would give candidates two attempts within a six-month period to pass the OA before forcing them to start over. Now I have to make it through the QEP round again, and that is not guaranteed--especially now. (I only passed that round once--my just failed candidacy.)

I'll keep reading this board and contribute where I can. Sorry I couldn't join the party, but I'm not going to give up. Maybe the fourth time will be a charm!

Sorry to hear that dude. I figured you were so excited you forgot about us! Anyway look -- you got to the OA which means the examiners believe you are capable of passing the OA, otherwise you would have been rejected in QEP. Now you know what the OA is like, and you know where you need to work on. Clearly if you are passing the SI and the QEP, you have a more than sufficient resume; and passing the GE and SI indicates that you are not a slobbering neckbeard nobody can work with. So you just need to brush up on your writing. You're in luck -- there are lots of CM materials in the Yahoo group. Also let me know when you get to your next OA -- I'll be happy to do a skype session with you with some tips on the CM section.

the_chavi posted:

American-flagged carriers are the rule, and contract carriers between certain city pairs on domestic and heavily-travelled foreign routes. (GAO has negotiated set fees on flights between certain cities - for example, if you're flying from Dallas to DC on official business, you must take American unless there are exceptional circumstances that mitigate going around the contract carrier, like a strike on that one airline.) Once you get to situations where you are flying from one foreign city to another, you usually can't take an American-flagged carrier, so you have some leeway. Individual posts may put restrictions on what air carriers you can and cannot take; for example, in some high-threat posts certain air carriers do not have sufficiently robust security checks at the airport, so you may be restricted by the RSO from taking flights on certain carriers.

As for what airlines FSOs prefer inside those strictures? Most of us rack up miles inside one of the big air codeshare and reward networks, so either Star Alliance or Sky Team. It depends on what region of the world you're flying. For me, with most of my tours and personal travel occurring in the Middle East, I have racked up about a quarter-million miles in Star Alliance, because United/Lufthansa/Turkish Airlines are the easiest ways for me to get to where I want to go.

This. It's a huge annoyance, but you end up basically knowing what flights you will ever be able to take out of a particular airport. For instance, out of Addis, you are almost guaranteed to be on Lufthansa or Turkish, despite Ethiopian being Star Alliance and having a direct flight to Dulles that is far cheaper and better.

caberham posted:

How about hotels?

In the US, I believe (but not sure) you have to go through Carlson Wagonlit, which is the gov't travel service. At post, we had "Airlink", which was a local travel office with a suite in the Embassy. We only used them for flights; we were on our own for hotels (you just submit your receipts).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Leif. posted:

This. It's a huge annoyance, but you end up basically knowing what flights you will ever be able to take out of a particular airport. For instance, out of Addis, you are almost guaranteed to be on Lufthansa or Turkish, despite Ethiopian being Star Alliance and having a direct flight to Dulles that is far cheaper and better.

My personal experience with corporate travel agents have been nothing but misery. Yeah, they can negotiate bulk deals but for hotels I just need the corporate code or something like that.

Man that's rough. Now are you forced to comply with Fly America Act at all times or just for matters of reimbursement? You guys make a decent salary, so what's from stopping you saying "gently caress this, I'm paying on my own dime because I just want to go!" Or "man, I'm as tall as a Christmas tree, I'm going to upgrade to business class or exit row on my own:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

caberham posted:

My personal experience with corporate travel agents have been nothing but misery. Yeah, they can negotiate bulk deals but for hotels I just need the corporate code or something like that.

Man that's rough. Now are you forced to comply with Fly America Act at all times or just for matters of reimbursement? You guys make a decent salary, so what's from stopping you saying "gently caress this, I'm paying on my own dime because I just want to go!" Or "man, I'm as tall as a Christmas tree, I'm going to upgrade to business class or exit row on my own:

From what I've seen, there's quite a change in rates from coach to business class in long haul flights... especially if you are paying for a family.