Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BabyMauler posted:

Idiots in the new Corolla should not have such powerful headlights. And the new Audis are blinding even with their low beams on. And you are extra hosed when the giant SUV Qsomething gets behind you, all you can see is loving bars when you close your eyes.

Toyota's LED brake lights are especially bright. Other brands with LED brake lights aren't so bad, but Toyota leaves you will full retina burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'll be okay with the retina burn once cars start adjusting the light intensity for how hard the driver is hitting the pedal.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
On my 8 minute commute this morning I watched as some clapped out Mercury minivan went from exit lane back on the freeway in that typical last minute "wait I want to be on the freeway and getting back on it from the exit is NOT an option" move.

Right in front of a Sheriff Caprice. It made my morning.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Connecticut has made all non-hands-free cell use, including texting, illegal. It has accomplished zilch.

Texting is illegal in Colorado too and it hasn't stopped anything. It's like people think "I wasn't texting, I was reading facebook" is totally different somehow. I got bumped in traffic recently and during her apology the girl slipped and said "I just looked up and suddenly traffic was stopped!" I was kind of distracted checking for damage at the time but as I played it over in my head afterwards I was like "yeah you retard that's why you don't look down".

I just don't get what's so god drat amazing on people's phones that they just have to be staring at it all the time. I have a computer, I read the internet, it's the same old boring poo poo day after day.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Toyota's LED brake lights are especially bright. Other brands with LED brake lights aren't so bad, but Toyota leaves you will full retina burn.

YUUUUUUUUUP stuck behind a new ES and I was seeing red for like five minutes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nsaP posted:

I'll be okay with the retina burn once cars start adjusting the light intensity for how hard the driver is hitting the pedal.

The Euro cars with the two-stage brake lights are starting to teach me just how many people on my morning commute bomb up to a stopped car with little/no braking and then slam the brake pedal to the floor at the last second on ice.

There was some lady in front of me with a Volvo who went to panic brake mode even trying to maintain normal street speed while rolling downhill. You could see the brake lights cascade through the "normal braking" mode and straight into "oh poo poo" every time she went near the pedal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BabyMauler posted:

YUUUUUUUUUP stuck behind a new ES and I was seeing red for like five minutes.

I assume it's a defense against texters. Dump the power of the sun towards their windscreen and maybe they'll hit the brakes in time.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Was is BMW or Benz that has the led tail lamps that flash progressively faster and brighter the more panicked your stop is? I cant wait to be a one man rave when I'm strobe blinded by some twit in an X5 :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Euro cars with the two-stage brake lights are starting to teach me just how many people on my morning commute bomb up to a stopped car with little/no braking and then slam the brake pedal to the floor at the last second on ice.

There was some lady in front of me with a Volvo who went to panic brake mode even trying to maintain normal street speed while rolling downhill. You could see the brake lights cascade through the "normal braking" mode and straight into "oh poo poo" every time she went near the pedal.

Those always seem to be the same kind of people that slam on their brakes because the car in front of them is 3 seconds ahead instead of 4-5.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

LloydDobler posted:

Texting is illegal in Colorado too and it hasn't stopped anything. It's like people think "I wasn't texting, I was reading facebook" is totally different somehow. I got bumped in traffic recently and during her apology the girl slipped and said "I just looked up and suddenly traffic was stopped!" I was kind of distracted checking for damage at the time but as I played it over in my head afterwards I was like "yeah you retard that's why you don't look down".

I just don't get what's so god drat amazing on people's phones that they just have to be staring at it all the time. I have a computer, I read the internet, it's the same old boring poo poo day after day.

Hello fellow Colorado goon?

Yeah, the amount of people I see dicking around on their phone is crazy. See a person drift slowly out of their lane? Pass carefully, oh look they're trying to steer and use their phone with both hands at the same time. :psyduck:

I swear it's about 40% of people just have their phones out in the open. I feel super unsafe just using my phone as a music player and looking away for a sec just to change the song. I don't know how you can manage to focus on Facebook or sexting your significant other without crashing the car.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Those always seem to be the same kind of people that slam on their brakes because the car in front of them is 3 seconds ahead instead of 4-5.

But if you leave the proper gap, someone will cut you off and fill it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

But if you leave the proper gap, someone will cut you off and fill it.

Drive 2 mph slower than everyone else and this never becomes an issue. :science:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

I assume it's a defense against texters. Dump the power of the sun towards their windscreen and maybe they'll hit the brakes in time.

Except they'll be busy texting about "some rear end in a top hat's HID brake lights :(" or something.

I keep thinking it'd be nice if decent-but-cheap portable video cameras could be equipped with auto-upload-via-cell modules, and given out to hobos pedestrians - get caught texting-while-driving or other stupid poo poo, get an appearance notice mailed to the registered owner. (Lookup via plate.) Not an auto-ticket, a straight-up "explain to this court WTF you were doing".

Why yes, Mister Audi Driver, I *am* thinking of how you decided to see how fast you could roll through most of the crosswalk before deigning to stop - it's not like you (quite) hit me this morning...

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Connecticut has made all non-hands-free cell use, including texting, illegal. It has accomplished zilch.

Yea, it's really difficult to enforce effectively. There's just not enough officers for it to be a real risk.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

People are just so terribly unaware of the 3-4000lb kinetic missile they're piloting. My friend and I almost got ran over in a crosswalk last night, twice. First car zooms through as soon as we get our walk sign, second car follows and has to drive into the other lane to avoid us, nearly hitting a bus in the process.

This was about 15 seconds after I made a comment about all the metal death machines surrounding us. :saddowns:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

subx posted:

Yea, it's really difficult to enforce effectively. There's just not enough officers for it to be a real risk.

The cops are also texting

BabyMauler posted:

Was is BMW or Benz that has the led tail lamps that flash progressively faster and brighter the more panicked your stop is? I cant wait to be a one man rave when I'm strobe blinded by some twit in an X5 :(

d-d-d-d-d-d-drop the brakes

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

LloydDobler posted:

I just don't get what's so god drat amazing on people's phones that they just have to be staring at it all the time.

Many people would rather be doing anything other than driving, which makes me yearn for the day when automated cars take over. It'll finally transform car interiors into what most people want all along - glorified parlor rooms in which they can read Facebook or play Candy Crush until they "magically" arrive at their destination or tumble horrifically down a steep cliff due to an error in Google Car traffic pattern algorithms.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BabyMauler posted:

I believe it was MB but I remember reading an article on how it wasn't legal for them to do so because only emergency vehicles are allowed to have flashing red lights. I also faintly remember MB being all "gently caress you" and doing it anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I believe it was MB but I remember reading an article on how it wasn't legal for them to do so because only emergency vehicles are allowed to have flashing red lights. I also faintly remember MB being all "gently caress you" and doing it anyway.

It's showed up on Mustangs too, though they brand them as "sequential turn signals" and it's trivial to mod them to work with the brakes.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BabyMauler posted:

Apparently my E46 (with the led tails) does this. I really am not sure because, well, I cant see my brake lights when driving.

Apparently the most outer ring will brighten as well when slamming on the brakes. Usually the most outer ring will not change brightness during regular braking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking of assholes, I saw an e92 M3 yesterday with the parking light headlight halos replaced with red lights.

So now the dipshit has red lights on both ends of his car. I don't understand how anyone with taste that bad can afford an e92 M3.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Washington DC sometimes brings out the best kind of crazy:

Looks like they ramped over the cement flower pot barrier

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
How in the gently caress is that even possible? It appears as though that accident defies physics. Also, that person should NEVER EVER be allowed to drive again.

Fake edit: is it just me, or does that look like a Prius? :psyduck:

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

BabyMauler posted:

Idiots in the new Corolla should not have such powerful headlights. And the new Audis are blinding even with their low beams on. And you are extra hosed when the giant SUV Qsomething gets behind you, all you can see is loving bars when you close your eyes.

I drive a new Audi, and the DRL's really aren't super bright at all unless you're looking in them straight on and they barely light up anything in front of you if only have them on at night (People manage to do this), but yeah, even the low-beams are pretty blinding on the car I've noticed compared to my previous car. You can turn the DRL's off in the interface, but no one will ever do that. And the light-bar/LED strip headlight seems to be the new car fad/thing because every other manufacturer is doing it now, so it's only going to get more common. I've seen aftermarket LED strips people are sticking on their headlights now too. Saw a 2010-12 Fusion a week or so ago with the whole front grille and headlights outlined in LED's and it was pretty distracting/lovely looking.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 7, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GramCracker posted:

How in the gently caress is that even possible? It appears as though that accident defies physics. Also, that person should NEVER EVER be allowed to drive again.

I used to think it was impossible for cars to fly around like that, then I started watching those russian dashcam videos. Apparently it takes very little for a vehicle to start flipping around.

A bit of throttle, the wheel catches on something and boom.. it's spinning like a top.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Old guy in a new Ram Big Horn edition pickup driving 10 mph under the speed limit. We come to a light. He inches forward. Stops. Inches forward. Stops. Creeps forward. Stops. By the time the light is green, he is well past the white line. Then he lets off the brake and idles across the intersection, and once across we resume going 10 mph under the limit until he turns in to the post office.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Come out of the car wash today just to get stuck behind a contractor van with a smoketune. Not even sure if it was a diesel or just badly blown rings.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Its not everyday someone spends the money to warn you they are a lovely driver. This guy never even reached 10mph under the speed limit, was all over the road and must have been resting on the brakes the whole time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Its not everyday someone spends the money to warn you they are a lovely driver. This guy never even reached 10mph under the speed limit, was all over the road and must have been resting on the brakes the whole time.

I feel like you were really fishing for a reason to hate this guy

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We can probably reel in the crappie puns on this one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I once honked and yelled at a lady to put her drat phone down because she was swerving all around the road.

She jolted up, stared at me, rolled down her window and yelled "It's ok! I'm using the GPS!" and sped off.

THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT OK BITCH.

What's sad is that isn't the first time it's happened. :suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

She jolted up, stared at me, rolled down her window and yelled "It's ok! I'm using the GPS!" and sped off.

No it really is okay because California just legalized driving with gps app active. :buddy:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

No it really is okay because California just legalized driving with gps app active. :buddy:

Hands free. You know, how speakerphone 6 inches from your face is the same as hands free.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Old guy in a new Ram Big Horn edition pickup driving 10 mph under the speed limit. We come to a light. He inches forward. Stops. Inches forward. Stops. Creeps forward. Stops. By the time the light is green, he is well past the white line. Then he lets off the brake and idles across the intersection, and once across we resume going 10 mph under the limit until he turns in to the post office.

I love how people will sit at an intersection, the brake lights flashing and the car jerking as they apparently keep thinking "Oh, light should be going green... NOW! gently caress!", releasing the brake and slamming it back again.

And then the light goes green, and they sit there for 3 seconds before their brake lights go off and they start moving.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

I used to think it was impossible for cars to fly around like that, then I started watching those russian dashcam videos. Apparently it takes very little for a vehicle to start flipping around.

A bit of throttle, the wheel catches on something and boom.. it's spinning like a top.

Yep, when I was still in high school and riding the bus some girl driving a sunfire flipped her car on its roof driving up the wheel of a wrangler with tires that were sticking a good 4" outside of the fender flares. She was going maybe 10mph tops. I guess that's why it's illegal in some countries!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So how long until all cars come will cell blocking tech built in? Do insurance companies have to start denying coverage if you were on your phone? Will the cops treat any usage like a DUI? Are the feds going to curtail allowable technology in car displays?

Its bad enough that companies require their employees to monitor email 24/7, without social media demanding constant attention as well.

Hell, I remember those PSAs in the 80s where a dude reached down to change the radio station and looked up to a girl walking across the street in front of his car. At least fiddling with the radio is a relatively mindless activity.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

GramCracker posted:

Fake edit: is it just me, or does that look like a Prius? :psyduck:

I think it's an X3. Capitol Police said this morning they estimated the driver was doing around 100 mph when they hit the planter. They also took some branches off of the first tree before they hit the second one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

rscott posted:

Yep, when I was still in high school and riding the bus some girl driving a sunfire flipped her car on its roof driving up the wheel of a wrangler with tires that were sticking a good 4" outside of the fender flares. She was going maybe 10mph tops. I guess that's why it's illegal in some countries!

They're usually illegal because they fling road dirt, rocks, water etc loving everywhere and all over the cars behind/around them. It's not like the cheap plastic fender flares that make them legal are going to stop a wayward Pontiac.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

So how long until all cars come will cell blocking tech built in? Do insurance companies have to start denying coverage if you were on your phone? Will the cops treat any usage like a DUI? Are the feds going to curtail allowable technology in car displays?

Its bad enough that companies require their employees to monitor email 24/7, without social media demanding constant attention as well.

Hell, I remember those PSAs in the 80s where a dude reached down to change the radio station and looked up to a girl walking across the street in front of his car. At least fiddling with the radio is a relatively mindless activity.

This is why touchscreens in cars are incredibly silly. Yes, let's put this thing that requires you to not only move your hand over to a button, but actually look to see what that button is, and where it is. Give me a tactile feedback interface I can use without looking away from the road (a quick glance is okay I guess) any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Sir Tonk posted:

So how long until all cars come will cell blocking tech built in?

Probably never. Its going to be impossible to limit the "blocking" to just the interior of the vehicle. Its also typically illegal for a private citizen to possess a cell jammer in the US. Besides, its probably a bad idea from the stand point of what happens if you get into an accident and need to call 911?