Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Theglavwen posted:

Why do you hate yourself so much?

Nah, if I hated myself, I'd have done White Mage. Or Bard. Or Geomancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Firaga posted:

Is there a good guide out there for breaking FF8? I've played through it a few times the traditional way but I want to see what all the fuss is about and steamroll my way through.

I actually wrote one up a while back for breaking the game efficiently (this means skipping "early but too loving tedious to justify it" poo poo like disc 1 Lion Heart). I'll PM it to you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not really the same, but Star Ocean 2's final boss is a fairly simple ordeal until you get access to the bonus final dungeon, then he'll wreck you until you've cleared it (and probably beaten the hidden final bosses).

Yeah, you need to view the PAs in a few towns about this doomsayer girl to activate his souped-up form. You can also steal a few unique items from her which give you free poo poo just by walking around.

For those who are thinking of doing this, I hope you have your affairs in order. The vanilla version of the final boss is manageable if your guys are at levels ~80-90 (maybe less if you know your poo poo) and have decent equipment. His limiter removed version requires you to be at level 200+ (255 is preferred. Yes max level) and have the best equipment possible.

And he can STILL instant kill you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just fyi everyone should be playing FF14, it's the best worst game in the series:

(presumably, the green chicken is Enkidu)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Vil posted:

I actually wrote one up a while back for breaking the game efficiently (this means skipping "early but too loving tedious to justify it" poo poo like disc 1 Lion Heart). I'll PM it to you.

can you PM me this too? I'm running through this again for my next bus to work game

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dubious posted:

can you PM me this too? I'm running through this again for my next bus to work game

Done. Enjoy one-shotting poo poo with minimal effort. :)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best easy way to break FF8 is to go fight the fishes on the beach outside Balamb with the fins and learn all your refining skills on your GFs up to and including Siren from your SEED test. Save the initial 5k gil and tents you get and use L-Mag RF to get 100 Curagas. Put them on Squall but don't heal him back up. You should be at like 700/3200 HP, give or take and that should be low enough to get a Renzokuken every time his ATB fills.

Then use that to murder Diabolos and refine the Brothers card into 100 quakes and you're basically set until late Disk 2. The other stuff you get on the way can easily improve upon your circumstances too, as well as your SeeD pay making it so you can get the others a bunch of easy Curaga.

Note: That's just an easy way, a 2 or so hour time investment to begin with. There are better ways to do it, and Vil's rundown is likely full of them.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
So I just found out that my all time favorite FF game was released on the IOS (FF6) but boy am I disappointed in the character sprites.

There's just something off about them - almost like oil paint smeared by a greasy thumb. Everything else looks gorgeous - the backgrounds, the portraits, etc.

I would ask how they could gently caress this up, but it's Japan - and Square-Enix of Japan at that, so I'm not surprised.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 6, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oswald ownenstein posted:

So I just found out that my all time favorite FF game was released on the IOS (FF6) but boy am I disappointed in the character sprites.

There's just something off about them - almost like oil paint smeared by a greasy thumb. Everything else looks gorgeous - the backgrounds, the portraits, etc.

The problem with the sprites is that they look incredibly flat. They decided to make them high resolution and somehow completely killed the color depth. The original sprites (at least left-right facing ones) were sort of angled; you can see more than just the flat sides of their face, body, and one leg while idle and it made them look way less like paper on a backdrop, but that was also ruined by the new sprite designs.

I'm pretty sure they're based off the iOS FFV sprites, which were just as ugly but clashed less with everything else.

Speaking of Final Fantasy VI, I've started playing the GBA version of that one as well. It has a few minor issues with sprite clipping (one part during the opera looked extremely goofy as a result), but so far it seems way better than the SNES version. One thing I completely forgot about is the Esper micromanagement. I couldn't even beat the game so many years ago when I first played it because I played favorites with the characters and hardly bothered changing up their Esper configurations to teach them spells. I'm smarter about it now, but it's kind of annoying.

I also decided to try to keep Cid alive for the first time ever and holy poo poo does it take a lot of patience. :psyduck:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly, FFVI is so easy that you don't really have to micromanage Espers at all. You can just leave them on until all the spells have been learnt and then swap them, if you feel like it. The only way to really screw up is to not use Espers at all, and even that's not too difficult.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Saigyouji posted:

Honestly, FFVI is so easy that you don't really have to micromanage Espers at all. You can just leave them on until all the spells have been learnt and then swap them, if you feel like it.

Yeah, that's exactly what I didn't do all those years ago. I was kind of bad at this game, but now I'm finding it incredibly easy as all Final Fantasy games are once you discover their proverbial Win Button.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love for FF6 but yeah, it's one of the easiest ones. I think the only FF game that has more easily accessible win buttons is FF8.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I would recommend the Brave New World mod for FF6 if people are interested in a bit more challenge and some nice rebalancing. It's not bullshit-hard or anything, and actually makes each character feel uniquely useful.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

The problem with the sprites is that they look incredibly flat. They decided to make them high resolution and somehow completely killed the color depth. The original sprites (at least left-right facing ones) were sort of angled; you can see more than just the flat sides of their face, body, and one leg while idle and it made them look way less like paper on a backdrop, but that was also ruined by the new sprite designs.

I'm pretty sure they're based off the iOS FFV sprites, which were just as ugly but clashed less with everything else.

The general progression of that design team is:

FF4 The After Years
FF Dimensions (borrows many gameplay ideas from TAY)
FF5 iOS (borrows and slightly modifies sprites from FFD)
FF6 iOS (borrows and slightly modifies sprites from FFD/FF5)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Just fyi everyone should be playing FF14, it's the best worst game in the series:

(presumably, the green chicken is Enkidu)

Please stop. I want to play it but I'm holding off because I know I'll spend an entire month on it and burn out or never stop playing. :saddowns:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, you need to view the PAs in a few towns about this doomsayer girl to activate his souped-up form. You can also steal a few unique items from her which give you free poo poo just by walking around.

For those who are thinking of doing this, I hope you have your affairs in order. The vanilla version of the final boss is manageable if your guys are at levels ~80-90 (maybe less if you know your poo poo) and have decent equipment. His limiter removed version requires you to be at level 200+ (255 is preferred. Yes max level) and have the best equipment possible.

And he can STILL instant kill you.

The worst part is that one of the spells he spams is loving Noah, the only one you can't get resistance for.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Another quick note from my FFIV Android playthrough: I hate the rainbow pudding. I cannot work out why the fun, wacky Namingway side quest suddenly became a grueling loot trawl for an item so rare you absolutely need a guide to discover its location. To make it worse, I missed 1% of a map inside the Giant of Babil and so can't access the treasure hunter augment. As a result, the chance for rainbow puddings to drop is (as far as I'm aware) 1 in 30,000. I understand that there are also rainbow puddings dropped at a slightly higher rate by jellies on the moon, but the strategy for defeating them requires the counter augment - which I didn't get. In conclusion, it looks like certain missable augments are absolutely necessary to complete some sections of the game.

Anyway, it seems like a stupidly difficult part of an otherwise fun game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ozza posted:

Another quick note from my FFIV Android playthrough: I hate the rainbow pudding. I cannot work out why the fun, wacky Namingway side quest suddenly became a grueling loot trawl for an item so rare you absolutely need a guide to discover its location. To make it worse, I missed 1% of a map inside the Giant of Babil and so can't access the treasure hunter augment. As a result, the chance for rainbow puddings to drop is (as far as I'm aware) 1 in 30,000. I understand that there are also rainbow puddings dropped at a slightly higher rate by jellies on the moon, but the strategy for defeating them requires the counter augment - which I didn't get. In conclusion, it looks like certain missable augments are absolutely necessary to complete some sections of the game.

Anyway, it seems like a stupidly difficult part of an otherwise fun game.

Uh, you can't miss Counter. Yang's wife gives it to you. It's literally unmissable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 7, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, you can't miss Counter. Yang's wife gives it to you. It's literally unmissable.

Maybe he accidentally fed it to someone who isn't Cecil, or maybe FF4-Phone is as shoddily-programmed as the rest of SE's phone ports.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah, I must have given it to someone who left and then didn't leave it behind. I don't have it in my key items or on any character's ability. Not sure what happened!

Edit: Aaaaaaaand literally five minutes after this post, the rainbow pudding dropped. Onward!

ozza fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 7, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Vil posted:

I'd like to see this as well.

Fun story, I once did the disc 1 Lionheart bullshit, only for Squall to never EVER use the Lionheart move at all throughout the entire game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nuh uh, FF14 doesn't have a win button!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

Nuh uh, FF14 doesn't have a win button!

For the original release, it was the one called 'unsubscribe'.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ :drat:

Dr Snofeld posted:

Fun story, I once did the disc 1 Lionheart bullshit, only for Squall to never EVER use the Lionheart move at all throughout the entire game.
His Crisis Level was probably too low. You basically won't see it without Aura (without it, I think you can't hit Crisis 3 and 4 without being, like, the last party member alive, and the difference between 3 and 4 is how many really lovely status effects you have on you; with, you hit Crisis 4 at like 25% HP), and chances are you won't have a single copy of that spell for a while unless you get really lucky playing cards.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Squall's crisis level affects his odds of using some finisher vs. no finisher, but the odds of which finisher he uses are flat-rate and 25% each. If it picks one you don't know, it moves down the list to progressively weaker moves until it finds one you do, and uses that.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'd like to see this as well.

Sent.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Except Blasting Zone. That thing triggers 50% of the time when you don't have Lionheart.

Which wouldn't be so bad if the animation wasn't so long and it didn't deal less damage than Rough Divide.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Vil posted:

I'd like to check this out, too, just for fun. I already have a file on my PS3 where I wasted silly amounts of time getting Devour and then maxing stats for no good reason, but it's always neat to see other approaches.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

Please stop. I want to play it but I'm holding off because I know I'll spend an entire month on it and burn out or never stop playing. :saddowns:

Buy the collector's edition and get a fat chocobo mount

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It is interesting that there are so few people on this forum who would say FFVIII was a legitimately good game yet so many posters know the most obscure details of its dumb game mechanics.

I guess I just never saw the appeal of breaking a game, even if it was a good game. I was a C student in school and I'm a C student in gaming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It is interesting that there are so few people on this forum who would say FFVIII was a legitimately good game yet so many posters know the most obscure details of its dumb game mechanics.

I guess I just never saw the appeal of breaking a game, even if it was a good game. I was a C student in school and I'm a C student in gaming.

You can understand the mechanics behind a game and still think it is bad. In fact a lot of the games I think are particularly bad I think are bad because I understand their game mechanics and see where they do badly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention it's old enough that people could have played it a ton when they were a stupid kid and then grown up and realized they didn't really like it that much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVIII is bad because you can very easily see what the goals were of switching the mechanics around and then see that it absolutely doesn't work within mere seconds. The fact that the game is only balanced when you don't understand how it works but then punishes you with a likely unbeateable situation if you don't on disc2 is just a testament to how bad the game is.

Combine it with a story that isn't nonsensical so much as a near stream-of-conciousness eruption of a child's id and you have a complete mess of a game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Despite all of its flaws and the fact that it's entirely breakable, and possibly only fun when broken, I like FF8. It would probably have been better if it were all Laguna stuff though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Barudak posted:

punishes you with a likely unbeateable situation if you don't on disc2

There's nothing on Disc 2 that even begins to approach an unwinnable state. The only one thing I can think you're referring to (the stuff in Balamb) isn't that, because you can just leave.

You can easily bruteforce your way through the entire game without understanding the mechanics if you really have to (and I know, because I did just that when I was 8), and there's only like 3 mandatory boss fights that are challenging even then. 2 of which are on Disc 4 in the first place.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I love Final Fantasy 8. Doesn't make it a good game.

When I play it, I use card as much as possible but don't really stress out about exp. I think my last run ended in the low 20's?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

There's nothing on Disc 2 that even begins to approach an unwinnable state. The only one thing I can think you're referring to (the stuff in Balamb) isn't that, because you can just leave.

You can easily bruteforce your way through the entire game without understanding the mechanics if you really have to (and I know, because I did just that when I was 8), and there's only like 3 mandatory boss fights that are challenging even then. 2 of which are on Disc 4 in the first place.

Nah, talking about the military Base. If you save inside the base there are no more random encounters until the timer starts ticking and the encounters provide such worthless draw magic that even if you somehow are able to optimize your strategy at that point you'll still get creamed or take too long on the boss at the end of it.

I know this because I did that as a kid.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

I also decided to try to keep Cid alive for the first time ever and holy poo poo does it take a lot of patience. :psyduck:

When I played through FFVI a few years ago with my little sister (she would've been 8 or so at the time), I loved her reaction to that scene:

Sis: What's wrong with Cid?
Me: He's dying.
Sis: What are we going to do?
Me: Stuff him with fish until he gets better or dies.
Sis: COOL!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

Nah, talking about the military Base. If you save inside the base there are no more random encounters until the timer starts ticking and the encounters provide such worthless draw magic that even if you somehow are able to optimize your strategy at that point you'll still get creamed or take too long on the boss at the end of it.

I know this because I did that as a kid.

What do you mean you don't just summon GFs on everything til you lose horribly against Adel?

But I do enjoy VIII. Part of it is I'm sure due to nostalgia, but its soundtrack is decent, the characters are... memorable if nothing else, and it gave us Triple Triad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

But I do enjoy VIII. Part of it is I'm sure due to nostalgia, but its soundtrack is decent, the characters are... memorable if nothing else, and it gave us Triple Triad.
The characters aren't memorable because unless they're Squall or Rinoa (or Cid :v:), they get less development and have fewer lines than any party member in FF6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

The characters aren't memorable because unless they're Squall or Rinoa (or Cid :v:), they get less development and have fewer lines than any party member in FF6.
Which Irvine, at least, is made MORE memorable for!

"I knew this, but it seemed like y'all didn't, so I didn't say anything."