Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

VikingSkull posted:

Look, if no one is claiming that Smoke avatar I'm taking it on Friday.

sorry :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Don't care as long as it gets used.

kidcoelacanth posted:

That's a pretty piss poor cover for that screenshot you totally took yourself.

Kidc I was actually alive when that show was funny.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LASTCAR posted:

Xxxtreme Motorsports (#44) makes their 2014 debut at Vegas this weekend with J.J. Yeley in yet another awesome looking car:

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Hope the team is owned by Vivid Videos or something.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

my bud was playing the new South Park game (who does that) and sent this image to me

Game owns btw. Solid little rpg that can run on a laptop. Little pricy but worth it

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Yay my title suggestion :)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kevin Harvick was fastest in Vegas testing and now I'm pretty convinced he'll have the best year of anyone this season and lost the championship at Homestead to Kenseth or Hamlin or someone. Quote this in Novmeber.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kevin Harvick was fastest in Vegas testing and now I'm pretty convinced he'll have the best year of anyone this season and lost the championship at Homestead to Kenseth or Hamlin or someone. Quote this in Novmeber.

He won't win the title because the championship has absolutely nothing to do with how good you are through the year anymore, lmao

but hey, GAME 7 MOMENTS

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

He won't win the title because the championship has absolutely nothing to do with how good you are through the year anymore, lmao

but hey, GAME 7 MOMENTS

That's what I'm sayin', mang.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

but hey, GAME 7 MOMENTS

It's impossible to please everyone. Either they stick with the old system that rewarded consistency over winning, or they move to a format that stresses wins. People complain when Kenseth won the championship with 1 win and they complain when Johnson wins four of the Chase races. I personally am going to sit and wait to see how this new format works out.

As much as I love to hate on NASCAR, sometimes I don't think we accept any move as anything other than terrible.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

but hey, GAME 7 MOMENTS

GAME 7 MOMENT: Jimmy gets put to the back of the field because of an engine change. NASCAR added another cylinder to said engine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SpitztheGreat posted:

It's impossible to please everyone. Either they stick with the old system that rewarded consistency over winning, or they move to a format that stresses wins. People complain when Kenseth won the championship with 1 win and they complain when Johnson wins four of the Chase races. I personally am going to sit and wait to see how this new format works out.

As much as I love to hate on NASCAR, sometimes I don't think we accept any move as anything other than terrible.

No the chase really is garbage. And the current generation is by far the worst yet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SpitztheGreat posted:

Or maybe you get rid of the Chase, and switch to a sane points system that stops making it incredibly easy for the second placed driver to get as many points as the race winner.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
The problem with the Chase wasn't points vs game-7 poo poo, the problem has been its length and track makeup. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The chase system was fine as a concept, but they made it was overlong and with a lovely diversity of tracks. The chase would be perfectly alright if they shortened it to, say, 4 or 5 races and thus made it more sudden-death while still maintaining the points system to reward some semblance of consistency. On top of that, boiling it down to 5 lets you choose the best 5 tracks you have to showcase NASCAR at its best.

Let's call it:
*Darlington
*Iowa/Richmond
*W. Glen
*Bristol/maybe a 1.5
*A week's break for the teams to gather themselves up while simultaneously opening up a weekend for the NW and Trucks finale, as well as letting some additional buzz be built in the meantime,
*Charlotte: There are better 1.5 milers than Charlotte but hell, if you're going to have a finale somewhere it might as well be in your own back yard.

This schedule solves several problems. First, it organically encourages game-7 moments instead of having to manufacture them because it keeps the JJ's of the world from top 5-ing into a championship by taking away the advantage of their consistency over many races. If KyBu or Happy or Clint go on a hot streak they could well steal away a championship by risking everything. This is basic game design theory. Don't artificially lace climax moments into an experience, design the system so that it encourages them to happen naturally. Sure it makes the system a bit susceptible to streakiness but that's the point. Look at all the stick and ball sport playoff systems that we're trying to ape. An NFL team has to play like, what 12 games to win a championship including the super bowl? Streaky helps keep people from winning 5 straight championships. Streaky creates entertainment.

Secondly, this move axes 5 extra races off the team's budgets. With sponsorship dollars still somewhat tight and NASCAR looking to cut costs, 5 fewer racecars to build/crash and 5 weeks extra to prepare for the next year would be a very welcome sight to many teams, especially those on the lower end. This also helps alleviate the pain of NASCAR having one of the shortest and most active offseasons around.

Third and last, chopping the chase to 5 races gets NASCAR's schedule firmly out of the way of the 800lb-helmeted gorilla in the room. Trying to compete directly with the ramp up of the NFL season is foolish given NASCAR's standing in the entertainment world today. Ending the season sooner means more people get to watch your product create must-see moments while there's still no other sports on. I'm sorry, we just can't compete with the NFL for viewer eyes, at least not right now. Also shortening the season means those tracks should all be feasible, climate-wise. When you're ending a little earlier than November, you can catch the tail end of nice weather in many parts of the country that aren't Florida.

Boom, Chase solved. More dramatic moments are created by nature of design, you get to keep the points system intact and make it work for you, and everybody in the still-beleaguered industry wins. As long as we're going to be stealing concepts from the NFL, may as well steal the good ones.

Some Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 7, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Look at all the stick and ball sport playoff systems that we're trying to ape. An NFL team has to play like, what 12 games to win a championship including the super bowl? Streaky helps keep people from winning 5 straight championships. Streaky creates entertainment.

Yeah, piss on that. Racing creates entertainment. The points system is not entertaining. It should not be entertaining. It is a bunch of numbers. It is a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. The process of finding who the best driver of the year is exciting because it involves motor races, not because you've arbitrarily decided that a bunch of numbers are suddenly closer. Who gives a poo poo about that? Because, guess what, if Jeff Gordon gets 30 top-10s in a year, and I have to sit through that, at the very least don't insult my intelligence by claiming someone else was actually the best driver of the year.

Almost all of NASCAR's problems since 2004 stem from their idea that people are interested in the sport for reasons other than the actual races and drivers.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 7, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Third and last, chopping the chase to 5 races gets NASCAR's schedule firmly out of the way of the 800lb-helmeted gorilla in the room. Trying to compete directly with the ramp up of the NFL season is foolish given NASCAR's standing in the entertainment world today. Ending the season sooner means more people get to watch your product create must-see moments while there's still no other sports on. I'm sorry, we just can't compete with the NFL for viewer eyes, at least not right now. Also shortening the season means those tracks should all be feasible, climate-wise. When you're ending a little earlier than November, you can catch the tail end of nice weather in many parts of the country that aren't Florida.

Boom, Chase solved. More dramatic moments are created by nature of design, you get to keep the points system intact and make it work for you, and everybody in the still-beleaguered industry wins. As long as we're going to be stealing concepts from the NFL, may as well steal the good ones.

Hey pal I handle the schedule theory-crafting on this board. :colbert:

Seriously though, this is a good post.

I've always felt that auto racing in the states misses a great opportunity by

a.) Not starting early enough
b.) Ending too late.

There's a few weeks in late January that are just downright dead sports wise. The Chili Bowl, and 24 Hours are pretty cool, but I'd much rather see, say a race at Fontana to give us all a little sample of the season ahead.

Like you've said, It's kind of hosed up how they've made races at Chicagoland, Kansas, Dover, Texas and New Hampshire mean more to the overall NASCAR season than traditional venues. Miami is also a TERRIBLE place for a title race. No history to it, and it's just not an interesting track.

Imagine a "chase" where they kick off at the Southern 500 in it's old slot, then hit up places like IMS, Bristol, Talladega and end the season at Atlanta or Charlotte?

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Fag Boy Jim posted:

but hey, GAME 7 MOMENTS

The thing that amuses me about France trying to do the whole "Game 7" thing is, at least in the World Series, Game 6 is usually more dramatic. I wonder if Phoenix's final cut before Homestead will actually be a better race than the finale.

Of course, given how Harvick dominated on Sunday, maybe it won't.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Game owns btw. Solid little rpg that can run on a laptop. Little pricy but worth it

Not a huge danger but bear in mind if you're in Europe the Console versions have been censored.

The PC ones are ok.

Secondly, this move axes 5 extra races off the team's budgets. With sponsorship dollars still somewhat tight and NASCAR looking to cut costs, 5 fewer racecars to build/crash and 5 weeks extra to prepare for the next year would be a very welcome sight to many teams, especially those on the lower end.

This confuses me because doesn't it also mean 5 races less exposure and thus 5 races less sponsor money?

In fact since there are obvious fixed costs, doesn't that mean they would actually need to find MORE per race in order to survive - i.e - rent doesn't get more or less expensive because of the number of races.

You'd know better than me of course but this seems counter intuitive.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

5 fewer races means you don't get Danica'd so much. Also driving the hauler across america.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Peanut President posted:

5 fewer races means you don't get Danica'd so much. Also driving the hauler across america.

Yeah but surely each individual race is profitable otherwise you could never do any races.

Very simple workout

Each race costs : $1000
Each race brings in : $1100

Factory fixed costs (employing people, paying rent and utils etc) : $1000.

If you have 10 races a year, that's survival.

If you have 8, you're now losing money.

That's the bit I can't get my brain past. Yes you can get unlucky and get Danicaed in any individual race but that's true of 8 as much as 10. And that extra...ooh...$1000 from being Danicaed is even worse if you don't have more races to make it back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's easier to ask someone for $5 than ask them for $10, and theres a much bigger pool of people with $5 in their pocket. Also cars/equipment is generally uninsured, so more races is more opportunity to have a big wreck and tear up everything you need to run your racecar team.

It's a balancing act.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
SRA's post is pretty much genius. I do think the season finale needs to rotate venues, though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bored, so I decided to create a "Chase" of my own based on SRA's comments. It's a little longer than his proposed "5", but I feel it kind of is in the same spirit.

It starts Labor and ends the second week of November

September
Darlington
Indianapolis
Watkins-Glen
Martinsville

October
Texas (Circuit of the America's get their old spring date)
Talladega
Bristol
Charlotte

November
Phoenix
Atlanta

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 7, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

how about you race all year and whichever non-Roush driver has the most points at the end wins

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SpitztheGreat posted:

DING DING DING

Seriously, some of the people in this thread need to sever.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
As soon as the NFL starts I could care less about NASCAR. Put the Chase on Tuesday Nights.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

It's easier to ask someone for $5 than ask them for $10, and theres a much bigger pool of people with $5 in their pocket.

Ah now that's a drat good point and probably accounts for the number of part season deals.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm in #nascar for qualifying if anyone wants to join in.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

sportsgenius86 posted:

how about you race all year and whichever non-Roush driver has the most points at the end wins

I swear to god every like 3 months we get "how do we fix the chase" and someone (usually me or viking) posts this exact response.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I like the new chase. Everyone is taking crazy chances to make a playoff that I never watch because it's Football season. Seems like win/win to me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

THAT BOY IN THAT 3 IMMA TELL U WUT

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

As soon as the NFL starts I could care less about NASCAR. Put the Chase on Tuesday Nights.

I'm this way in the summer, the races are too long to waste my summers sitting on my rear end watching circles. I will usually watch the non "cookie 1.5" tracks but too much of the same during the summer to care

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Ha! Eat it, Dillon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I hate this bullshit, IndyCar-style qualifying format.

Seeing those cars have to back up and mat it to get on track with other cars parked around them when they open the next session was hilariously painful. Has anybody run into each other coming off pit road yet?

Seriously, they might as well do it old school road racing style: stand on one side of pit road, throw the flag, make them run to their cars and go.

If they do that, for "awesomeness" effect, I quit.

e- Kurt cuts Dinger off on the cool-down lap because Dinger was in the line he wanted when he ended his run. :allears:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 8, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hate this bullshit, IndyCar-style qualifying format.

Seeing those cars have to back up and mat it to get on track with other cars parked around them when they open the next session was hilariously painful. Has anybody run into each other coming off pit road yet?

Seriously, they might as well do it old school road racing style: stand on one side of pit road, throw the flag, make them run to their cars and go.

If they do that, for "awesomeness" effect, I quit.

A "Le Mans" Start.

Jacky Ickx hated it so much he just walked to the car, and decided to take his time fastening his seat belts, etc.

Also, Jacky Ickx owns, but that's unrelated to this thread.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 8, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Them Penske boys are pretty good at this qualifying deal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was never a big Jr fan but hes just such a normal dude on Twitter (and a good writer, to boot)

quote:

@DaleJr 3m
Working at that gas station rocked. It was in front of a @WaffleHouse so we ate chicken melts everyday. @EarnhardtKelley @Nationwide

Junyer. Junyer eat teh melt

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 8, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Back in the day Jr used to run his own N2k3 server and everything about it was just so normal. Truex and Hamlin were on there too but they were still just in modifieds. It was pretty much like any other goon server I've ever raced on in any game.

The server also needed a client that was modded to hell, and almost nothing was present from the original game. There were these track mods that changed the grip levels of the different sectors of the track they used called BR because the modders name was Brian. All of the tracks had that suffix, Atlanta BR, Daytona BR, Michigan BR etc. It caused the most awkward TV interview when Matt Yocum I think tried to ask Jr or maybe Truex when he was just starting out about practicing using the video game 'Talladega VR'. It was on par with any 'stairs' questions or maybe the hip hop operating system, but I can't find any evidence of the interview :(

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I could swear that I remember Junior used to have some random personal webpage like on geocities or one of the other free hosting services back in the day in the mid 90s where he'd post his Nascar Racing paint schemes and things like that.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Uncle Jam posted:

Back in the day Jr used to run his own N2k3 server and everything about it was just so normal.

Back in the day Jr also used to hold several Jooh-Jewt-Sooh tournaments as a convenient cover for spending times with powerful man-legs wrapped around his torso. I am ashamed of all of you getting starry-eyed after a single Daytona win and forgetting his incredible ability to back-mark in 4 million dollars worth of race car. Dale sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Uncle Jam posted:

Back in the day Jr used to run his own N2k3 server and everything about it was just so normal. Truex and Hamlin were on there too but they were still just in modifieds. It was pretty much like any other goon server I've ever raced on in any game.

The server also needed a client that was modded to hell, and almost nothing was present from the original game. There were these track mods that changed the grip levels of the different sectors of the track they used called BR because the modders name was Brian. All of the tracks had that suffix, Atlanta BR, Daytona BR, Michigan BR etc. It caused the most awkward TV interview when Matt Yocum I think tried to ask Jr or maybe Truex when he was just starting out about practicing using the video game 'Talladega VR'. It was on par with any 'stairs' questions or maybe the hip hop operating system, but I can't find any evidence of the interview :(

BR tracks added grip on the high side so you could pass up there. The stock game only had "grip" on the bottom of the corner. I think they only did it to big tracks.

• Locked thread