Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Red posted:

Mankind wasn't bad.

He had a few weeks of vignettes to hype him as a masked nutcase who lived in a basement with a pet rat. It seemed like a strange heel gimmick, but could be neat, right?

So Undertaker beats Diesel at WM12 in a hoss-off, and as you'd expect, taking a (kayfabe) beating, although getting a win.

The next night on Raw, an exhausted Undertaker fights another hoss, Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw. They have a decent power match, but it takes a lot for UT to put Bradshaw away. Then Mankind randomly appears, and beats UT into oblivion.

This doesn't really change anything about what you've said here, but to be specific, Mankind debuted at the top of that night's Raw beating seven shades of poo poo out of Bob Holly. Then he came back at the end of the show and attacked Taker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was memorable for Holly getting the Mandible Claw and apparently puking up a protein shake.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Havoc904 posted:

I thought Big Show's debut in WWF made him look like a joke. He has one job, and that was to ensure that Austin does not win the match. He proceeds to screw up his first job. I know McMahon motions for Show to throw him into the cage, but they could have had a beat more of a beat down instead of Austin riding the cage wall to the outside.

It also didn't help that his debut was during the period where JR was not on commentary. So you had Michael Cole screaming "It's Paul Wight!!! It's Paul Wight!!!" when he burst out of the ring. I remember watching St. Valentine's Day Massacre with a friend and at the time we thought it definitely made him seem less threatening. As far as we knew he had never been called that in WCW, so dropping his name like the audience was supposed to know it seemed dumb as hell.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of NJPW, where do I go if I want to check it out?

if you follow the NJPW thread shows regularly get uploaded to YouTube and linked.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

saltylopez posted:

It also didn't help that his debut was during the period where JR was not on commentary. So you had Michael Cole screaming "It's Paul Wight!!! It's Paul Wight!!!" when he burst out of the ring. I remember watching St. Valentine's Day Massacre with a friend and at the time we thought it definitely made him seem less threatening. As far as we knew he had never been called that in WCW, so dropping his name like the audience was supposed to know it seemed dumb as hell.

uh jr being on commentary wouldn't have made him not call him paul wight, Cole calling him Paul Wight probably wasn't his choice.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Endorph posted:

So he's had the best acting career of any wrestler. Not many people can say they were in the only good Batman movie ever made.

I cannot fathom the mind of a man who claims to love Batman & Robin but not the 1966 movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Red posted:

Mankind wasn't bad.

He had a few weeks of vignettes to hype him as a masked nutcase who lived in a basement with a pet rat. It seemed like a strange heel gimmick, but could be neat, right?

So Undertaker beats Diesel at WM12 in a hoss-off, and as you'd expect, taking a (kayfabe) beating, although getting a win.

The next night on Raw, an exhausted Undertaker fights another hoss, Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw. They have a decent power match, but it takes a lot for UT to put Bradshaw away. Then Mankind randomly appears, and beats UT into oblivion.

""On the sixth day, God created Mankind. He must not have been having a very good day!"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

""On the sixth day, God created Mankind. He must not have been having a very goodNICE day!"
Come on, man!

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I think the actual line was more like "On the sixth day, God created Mankind. Why was he having such a bad day? Why did he create all of you normal, but forget so many important parts of me?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I thought it was something like "Maybe he should have stayed in bed that day too."

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Perfidus posted:

I think the actual line was more like "On the sixth day, God created Mankind. Why was he having such a bad day? Why did he create all of you normal, but forget so many important parts of me?"

On the eighth day. Not the sixth. The rest is right though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have a special place in my heart for bad debuts too.

Shockmaster: "You want a piece of me?" in a Cookie Monster voice after just falling on his face.

Saba Simba: "Wait a minute, hold the phone, I know that guy! That's Toooooonyyyyyy Atlas!" followed by Vince McMahon scrambling to explain Tony Atlas recently found his "roots".

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

WadeBartender posted:

uh jr being on commentary wouldn't have made him not call him paul wight, Cole calling him Paul Wight probably wasn't his choice.

Fair enough. Now that I think about it, Beyond the Mat showed that JR was still in the back talking to the announcers by headset at the time.

My point still stands that calling him by name when he was previously known to us only as "The Giant" was kind of unexciting.

harley
Sep 2, 2004
Terry Funk's WWE debut was good.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

saltylopez posted:

Fair enough. Now that I think about it, Beyond the Mat showed that JR was still in the back talking to the announcers by headset at the time.

My point still stands that calling him by name when he was previously known to us only as "The Giant" was kind of unexciting.

I kinda get your point, but what else was he supposed to call him? Calling him "The Big Show" before the name was used would've seemed forced and pretending not to know who he was would've seemed really dumb.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

He was called "The Big Nasty Paul Wight" literally the night after, but it's a fair point. I can imagine JR going "MAW GAWD! PAUL WIGHT!" over it, with King making sly "What's this GIANT doing here?! RUN MR MCMAHON!" kind of comments.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The rumor at the time was he was going to be called Titan, which was kind of clever.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

The rumor at the time was he was going to be called Titan, which was kind of clever.

I still think they should've gone with that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Perry Normal posted:

This doesn't really change anything about what you've said here, but to be specific, Mankind debuted at the top of that night's Raw beating seven shades of poo poo out of Bob Holly. Then he came back at the end of the show and attacked Taker.

Wow, yeah - you're absolutely right, I forgot about that. I remember being disgusted by the move when Mankind started out.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If my old theatrical experiences are any indication, Titan sounds awkward when spoken out loud because most people either don't pronounce the second T, or they over enunciate like Orton saying 'This ti-tle' that one time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I have a special place in my heart for bad debuts too.

Shockmaster: "You want a piece of me?" in a Cookie Monster voice after just falling on his face.

Saba Simba: "Wait a minute, hold the phone, I know that guy! That's Toooooonyyyyyy Atlas!" followed by Vince McMahon scrambling to explain Tony Atlas recently found his "roots".

I watched the Legends of Wrestling round table about horrible characters last night, and Dusty Rhodes came clean about that...by blaming somebody else for nailing a 2x4 low between rehearsals and the PPV and effectively tripping him. The voice of the Shockmaster was Ole Anderson, too, and he started busting up immediately. Just an absolute clusterfuck.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

harperdc posted:

I watched the Legends of Wrestling round table about horrible characters last night, and Dusty Rhodes came clean about that...by blaming somebody else for nailing a 2x4 low between rehearsals and the PPV and effectively tripping him. The voice of the Shockmaster was Ole Anderson, too, and he started busting up immediately. Just an absolute clusterfuck.

The best part is that, for WHATEVER reason, Michael Hayes says that Shockmaster "had everything going for him on paper."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wasn't his debut walking up to Hogan during an interview segment on a beach?

It's possible. I always thought it was the "IT'S NOT HOT!" bit, but I wasn't watching WCW too much at the time.

As for calling him the Titan in WWF, I think the reason they decided not to was because it was well known enough that in his final WCW appearance, where he was knocked out in the middle of the ring, Bischoff laughed his rear end off and cut a promo where he bragged about how they, "Sunk the Titanic."

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

The best part is that, for WHATEVER reason, Michael Hayes says that Shockmaster "had everything going for him on paper."

Michael Hayes is the biggest rear end kisser in history and constantly tries himself look like the best soo

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
The European broadcast of Smackdown tends to run segments in slightly different orders than the Syfy broadcasts. Not having stuff like the WWEshop promos I understand, but almost every week they'll have a match from the middle of the show, then the opening talk segment and what follows. I just wonder why it happens that way?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

emjayo posted:

He was called "The Big Nasty Paul Wight" literally the night after, but it's a fair point. I can imagine JR going "MAW GAWD! PAUL WIGHT!" over it, with King making sly "What's this GIANT doing here?! RUN MR MCMAHON!" kind of comments.

The way to go would have been to not use a name for him when he debuted. "OH MY GOD KING! Look who it is!" would've sufficed. I think the vast majority of the audience would already know who he is, let them name him when he cuts his first promo the next night on Raw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

The European broadcast of Smackdown tends to run segments in slightly different orders than the Syfy broadcasts. Not having stuff like the WWEshop promos I understand, but almost every week they'll have a match from the middle of the show, then the opening talk segment and what follows. I just wonder why it happens that way?

I imagine the European broadcasters have this crazy notion that wrestling fans (or sports fans in general, as WWE have been more comfortable as sports abroad) prefer to start with wrestling, instead of talking.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

TL posted:

The way to go would have been to not use a name for him when he debuted. "OH MY GOD KING! Look who it is!" would've sufficed. I think the vast majority of the audience would already know who he is, let them name him when he cuts his first promo the next night on Raw.

Even if they didn't know who he was, he's a freaking giant and the visual spectacle would have been enough to impress.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Did ECW ever have plants in the crowd to handle wrestlers when they were thrown in?

I just watched one of the PPVs with a Bam Bam Bigelo vs. Spike Dudley match. Dudley bladed at one point and was badly dripping massive amounts of blood everywhere. Bam Bam picks him up over his head and launches him from the ring, over the guardrail, and on top of the fans. There was one fan that had a white t-shirt on, and it immediately becomes red because Spike's blood was smeared all over it.

I would be pissed off if I was that dude. Which got me wondering if they have a few ECW employees sitting with the fans to catch him.

The Grey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 8, 2014

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Grey posted:

Today ECW ever have plants in the crowd to handle wrestlers when they were thrown in?

I just watched one of the PPVs with a Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Spike Dudley match. Dudley bladed at one point and was badly dripping massive amounts of blood everywhere. Bam Bam picks him up over his head and launches him from the ring, over the guardrail, and on top of the fans. There was one fan that had a white t-shirt on, and it immediately becomes red because Spike's blood was smeared all over it.

I would be pissed off if I was that dude. Which got me wondering if they have a few ECW employees sitting with the fans to catch him.

No they did not, which is why ECW got sued so much.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Grey posted:

There was one fan that had a white t-shirt on, and it immediately becomes red because Spike's blood was smeared all over it.
Counterpoint: I knew a guy that went to a GWAR show in a white shirt, for the express purposes of leaving that show with a red shirt. ECW fans were probably equally devoted. Odds are, that fan framed that shirt as the awesome time Spike Dudley bled all over him.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im sure its just a vinceism when it comes to names, but why was regal's name changed from steven to william?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Is there an African American NBA, NFL or Basketball player that Brickhouse Brown hasn't claimed on a shoot interview he hasn't smoked crack crack or double teamed whores with?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

John Cena posted:

im sure its just a vinceism when it comes to names, but why was regal's name changed from steven to william?

I am pretty sure there were too many Steven's at the time, or they didn't want another Steve that wasn't Stone Cold

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Same reason Shane Helms became Gregory Helms. Apparently they really don't think much of their audience.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

John Cena posted:

He was Steven William Regal at first, but there were "too many Steves." Made sense to Regal, according to his book; he was just happy he got "William" instead of something worse.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

John Cena posted:

When he became an aristocratic snob they changed him from Steven to Steven William Regal and eventually he just ended up as William. There already was a Steve Regal in wrestling (who retired in 96) and maybe Prince William was in the news or something.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

They had Steve Austin, Steve Blackman and Stevie Richards already in that era, so I can't blame them that much.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Who was worse, heel JR, or heel Cole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Heel JR didn't hijack a year's worth of broadcasts, so.