Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Has anyone been watching much of Jimmie Ward? Apparently the Bears were at NIU's Pro day and SS is a massive need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DupaDupa posted:

Has anyone been watching much of Jimmie Ward? Apparently the Bears were at NIU's Pro day and SS is a massive need.

He supposedly looked great.

quote:

Jimmie Ward runs a 4.47 40, vertical jump 38 inches and measures 5-10.5 and 197 pounds.

I don't know if he's big enough to play SS in the NFL though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
5-10 197 is perfectly acceptable playing weight for either safety position.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Intruder posted:

Manziel sounds like mansierre, destined to bust

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fitting because he's also a bro.

Hahaha. Just quoting these since I was worried the two funniest comments in a 150 page thread are getting lost by being at the bottom of a page.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Flake Fartles

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Dexo posted:

I don't know if he's big enough to play SS in the NFL though.

TJ Ward is 5'11 200lbs and is considered one of best in the box safeties in the NFL. Jimmie Ward's size is fine.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Troy P is that size no? I'd say his career path wasn't too shabby.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

DupaDupa posted:

He blew up the senior bowl apparently and became a maybe late first rounder. Do they have senior bowl tape?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PrinceRandom posted:

He blew up the senior bowl apparently and became a maybe late first rounder. Do they have senior bowl tape?

Slight derail, but did you ever check those links? :ohdear:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

my lovely cat posted:

Flake Fartles

please do not post my real name on this public forum

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

bhsman posted:

Slight derail, but did you ever check those links? :ohdear:

I was at work, but I can now that I'm at home.

Got it now. That 80% completion against the blitz number is really compelling.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 8, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

He definitely has the measurables to be on the Bears radar. I think he is a guy they look at in the second if he is there. Just imagine if they grab Byrd and Bennett/Johnson in FA and Ward and Donald in the draft.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather not imagine that.

:negative:

We have more cap room than the Bears, but will do nothing to prevent that situation. Hahaha. It's only fair for the Bears to be stacked on defense though. Do your worst, Chicago.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

Ryan Shazier apparently just ran under 4.4 at OSU's pro day

OSU's track is a half second fast, but that still puts him at like a 4.42. Dude is gonna get paid from that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

smuggler posted:

Yeah, no thanks. I'd rather not imagine that.

:negative:

We have more cap room than the Bears, but will do nothing to prevent that situation. Hahaha. It's only fair for the Bears to be stacked on defense though. Do your worst, Chicago.

It really amazes me how consistently you guys just miss on defense. Then again, you did get Clay Matthews. I honestly feel like you guys have had a fair amount of talented guys on defense, it is just that your coaching is so loving mediocre on that side of the ball, you can't overcome it.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

OSU's track is a half second fast, but that still puts him at like a 4.42. Dude is gonna get paid from that.

If Dallas misses out on Aaron Donald (they will) and lands Shazier as a consolation, I won't be too upset.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sataere posted:

It really amazes me how consistently you guys just miss on defense.

Packers first 3 rounds draft picks on defense since 2001 (Ron Wolf / Mike Sherman / Ted Thompson):

quote:

2013:
Datone Jones (Jury still out)

2012:
Nick Perry (Injured twice now)
Jerel Worthy (Jury still out)
Casey Hayward (Great rookie season, was injured this season)

2011:
dick all

2010:
Mike Neal (Perpetually on the cusp)
Morgan Burnett (Ehhh)

2009:
BJ Raji (One good year, average all others)
Clay Matthews (All-Pro)

2008:
Patrick Lee (Bust)

2007:
Justin Harrell (Bust)
Aaron Rouse (Did nothing noteworthy)

2006:
AJ Hawk (Perpetually average)
Abdul Hodge (Accomplished nothing)

2005:
Nick Collins (Potentially All-Pro, career ended by injury)

2004:
Ahmad Carroll (Bust)
Joey Thomas (Bust)
Donnell Washington (Bust)

2003:
Nick Barnett (Perpetually average)
Kenny Peterson (Accomplished nothing)

2002:
Marques Anderson (Decent rookie year, unremarkable after)

2001:
Jamal Reynolds (Bust)

It's honestly kind of amazing how completely inept the Packers are at drafting top picks on defense. Clay Matthews and Nick Collins were more a product of finally getting lucky after so many attempts than they were a signifier of good defensive drafting I think.

I'm actually confused how Ted has a reputation for being a good drafter after going over the Packers draft history. He made shrewd value picks with Clay and Aaron (and now I guess Eddie Lacy) but doesn't really hit consistently on other draft picks. 2008 was possibly his best season, bringing in Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley, Josh Sitton, and Matt Flynn all in the same draft. He hasn't really been able to repeat that performance since, although the jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 drafts.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Brannock posted:

Packers first 3 rounds draft picks on defense since 2001 (Ron Wolf / Mike Sherman / Ted Thompson):

It's honestly kind of amazing how completely inept the Packers are at drafting top picks on defense. Clay Matthews and Nick Collins were more a product of finally getting lucky after so many attempts than they were a signifier of good defensive drafting I think.

I'm actually confused how Ted has a reputation for being a good drafter after going over the Packers draft history. He made shrewd value picks with Clay and Aaron (and now I guess Eddie Lacy) but doesn't really hit consistently on other draft picks. 2008 was possibly his best season, bringing in Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley, Josh Sitton, and Matt Flynn all in the same draft. He hasn't really been able to repeat that performance since, although the jury is still out on 2012 and 2013 drafts.

Probably because he acquires tons of picks. I think we've established that everyone kind of hits the same percentage of picks, but if you have enough chances, you'll eventually hit.

You are right though. That list is way worse than I thought it was. But if you pulled his offensive list, we'd be singing his praises. Rodgers, Lacy, Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Finley are all top flight offensive weapons and not a lot of teams can say they acquired that many offensive skill positions of that caliber during their tenure. Honestly, I can't think of a single team that has been so consistently good at finding difference-makers at receiver.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Anyone know how Donte Moncrief looked at his pro day?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Danny Kelly wrote a really cool, in-depth long form article on NFL scouting with interviews of several GMs. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

Whats interesting to me is the differences in schools of thought. Newsome trying to isolate his team from groupthink while Baalke, Schneider, and Thompson want consensus.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just did that Fanspeak draft program cause I was bored at work.

My erection can be seen from space. Even got the elusive young returner the Bengals never land.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Haha. This thing is super generous.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eifert Posting posted:

My erection can be seen from space. Even got the elusive young returner the Bengals never land.

I'm shocked that Dri Archer went so low, just based on that ridiculous speed.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ravens and Cowboys are going to swap spots as the rounds go on, right? Dallas doesn't select first every round?

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

That fanspeak draft is pretty... well generous is one way to put it.

Also,

Vikes @ 8 - Teddy
Lions @10 - Sammy Watkins
Bears @14 - Louis Nix

:barf:

E: linking the image because attachment fail

http://imgur.com/SD2z0Q0

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Chichevache posted:

All of this makes sense except no one named Blake will ever amount to anything ever.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

No. You guys aren't allow to draft a corner. No fixing the secondary. :colbert:

Volkerball posted:

Haha. This thing is super generous.

http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

I like both of you guys picking Dri Archer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's pretty clearly a steal in the sixth. I'll be surprised if he survives past the fifth round teens.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I hate you as a person.

loving Boyd as the back-up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Archer is a speedbolt that can completely be a RB at the NFL level. He'll drop because of size and injury issues but I think he's a legitimate 3rd round talent.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it perfect? Imagine the debate that will happen in the preseason only to be obliterated week one once people see Gio running behind that line with a decent center and Hue calling plays.

Alas, actual human beings make the picks in real life, and some aren't even employed by the Browns.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Isn't it perfect?
You picked 2 RBs, a bad QB, and a kicker. The Bengals have 4 RBs, 2 backups better than Boyd, and 2 kickers. You could also probably get a decent center later in the draft, especially considering the Bengals love Kyle Cook and he has 1 year left on his dumb contract and Robinson/Pollak are centers.

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 10, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Atticus Finch posted:

You picked 2 RBs, a bad QB, and a kicker. The Bengals have 4 RBs, 2 backups better than Boyd, and 2 kickers. You could also probably get a decent center later in the draft, especially considering the Bengals love Kyle Cook and he has 1 year left on his dumb contract and Robinson/Pollak are centers.

I picked one rb and a kick returner. This makes Ben Tate no longer a thing. Mike Nugent is old and sucks at kickoffs, even though I love him.

Tajh Boyd wins a competition with Josh Johnson, are you kidding me? I'm a Gamecocks fan and I'll admit this.

They love Cook but he sucks. It's pretty telling that they replace one blech UDFA with another and the replacement is better. Center is by far the weakest position on offense, it's not close.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Josh Johnson is pretty cool and good though, and Tahj Boyd is fat

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ben Roethlisberger is in my avatar. He's the fattest QB in the NFL. Josh Johnson can't throw the ball within 10 meters of his target three consecutive times. Boyd has occasionally been described as fat by ACC football standards. I'll take Boyd. You don't want a guy who will start a QB controversy day one. Get a guy with a high ceiling who needs grooming, cause Dalton's starting no matter what in '14.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Bengals chat rules the school :kamina:

Eifert Posting posted:

I picked one rb and a kick returner. This makes Ben Tate no longer a thing. Mike Nugent is old and sucks at kickoffs, even though I love him.

Tajh Boyd wins a competition with Josh Johnson, are you kidding me? I'm a Gamecocks fan and I'll admit this.

They love Cook but he sucks. It's pretty telling that they replace one blech UDFA with another and the replacement is better. Center is by far the weakest position on offense, it's not close.
Yeah, the KR is going to take up an RB spot. That's 2 RBs. BJGE is gone after this year and you can get a good replacement either next year or he's probably on the roster already (Rex Burkhead). Who are you letting go to make room?

Even if Boyd is an upgrade over Johnson, it's not a big one. Maybe not even a big upgrade over McElroy (but a huge upgrade over Robinson, so points there). I'd rather take Mettenberger or Murray a few rounds earlier (3-4).

Cook does suck but you could get a good replacement in later rounds and pick up a good LB/DL for the future, which is probably what they'll do.

Alouicious posted:

Josh Johnson is pretty cool and good though, and Tahj Boyd is fat
yeah

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I did this as someone else but I liked the Texans:

In Bortles we trust. :911:

e: Bridgewater went to the Browns.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Atticus Finch posted:

Cook does suck but you could get a good replacement in later rounds and pick up a good LB/DL for the future, which is probably what they'll do.

yeah

Is it 2008-2013 already? Just because the team actively ignores a position for half a decade doesn't mean I have to. It's literally the only position of need on the offensive side of the ball.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

Even if Boyd is an upgrade over Johnson, it's not a big one. Maybe not even a big upgrade over McElroy (but a huge upgrade over Robinson, so points there). I'd rather take Mettenberger or Murray a few rounds earlier (3-4).

This. It's become obvious that they should really have a backup plan in case Dalton falters this year, and Boyd would be too much of a project for a team that could be a Super Bowl contender without a schizo QB.

computer parts posted:

I did this as someone else but I liked the Texans:

In Bortles we trust. :911:

e: Bridgewater went to the Browns.

I fully expect something this absurd during the draft. I mean let's be honest, that's really why we watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Eifert Posting posted:

Is it 2008-2013 already? Just because the team actively ignores a position for half a decade doesn't mean I have to. It's literally the only position of need on the offensive side of the ball.

Bengals will need some depth at tackle at some point since Collins is likely leaving, unless you want to have loving Dennis Roland at LT if someone gets hurt.

• Locked thread