Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet: Moon Knight #1. Moon Knight's back in NYC, he's dapper as gently caress, he's huntin' down a serial killer in sewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"I died before. It was boring, so I stood up"
It's such a comic book sentence and I love it.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

It's like Thor walked into a meeting of the People with Awesome Hammers Club and declared himself their king.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

TwoPair posted:

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet: Moon Knight #1. Moon Knight's back in NYC, he's dapper as gently caress, he's huntin' down a serial killer in sewer.

this is great to reread and look at the little details

"Are you armed?"
"Not anymore."

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I've always loved Moon Knight and that was pretty cool, but wouldn't deflecting a bullet by holding a razorsharp crescent dart in your hand mean you lose your fingers?

I know, I know, comic books.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're holding razor crescents all the time you probably have some good gloves.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Onmi posted:

but gently caress it, Civil War and its fallout were dumb.

No kidding. Aside from a reference or two in Alpha Flight there's been no mention of any effects with the U.S's relations with other countries over Civil War, the Registration Act (Canada had it passed in 1995, the only physical fight over it was Puck having a bar fight in Halifax. Seriously), or the Initiative. Interesting idea, lousy execution.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lars Blitzer posted:

the Registration Act (Canada had it passed in 1995)

Man, Canada really IS evil in Marvel, isn't it?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Phy posted:

Man, Canada really IS evil in Marvel, isn't it?

Actually, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registration_acts_%28comics%29#1993_Canadian_Super-powers_Registration_Act

Whoops, I got a couple of the details wrong. 1993 not '95, and there's some debate about whether it's been repealed by Parliament (Brevoort says it must have been at some point, while Oeming's Omega Flight's characters mention the registration act going on for years, without stuff like being hunted down and the "42" super prison.) So I'd imagine it's more like "Sure, you can fire blasts from your hands or control small mammals with your mind, but if you want to actually do something with that power get a license. If you don't we'll write you a ticket, and I'll shake my finger at you very sternly.":canada:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lars Blitzer posted:

Actually, no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registration_acts_%28comics%29#1993_Canadian_Super-powers_Registration_Act

Whoops, I got a couple of the details wrong. 1993 not '95, and there's some debate about whether it's been repealed by Parliament (Brevoort says it must have been at some point, while Oeming's Omega Flight's characters mention the registration act going on for years, without stuff like being hunted down and the "42" super prison.) So I'd imagine it's more like "Sure, you can fire blasts from your hands or control small mammals with your mind, but if you want to actually do something with that power get a license. If you don't we'll write you a ticket, and I'll shake my finger at you very sternly.":canada:

As opposed to the American version, where a squad of heavily-armed soldiers assaulted the house Luke Cage was in at midnight the day the registration act went into action.

(We are the dumbest country.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 7, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

As opposed to the American version, where a squad of heavily-armed soldiers assaulted the house Luke Cage was in at midnight the day the registration act went into action.

Or when Cap refused to support it, and was attacked for professing his opinion.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I still say that mightygodking's edit of the Captain America/Sally Floyd rant post-surrender is canon. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lars Blitzer posted:

I still say that mightygodking's edit of the Captain America/Sally Floyd rant post-surrender is canon. :colbert:

I say mightygodking's edit of the whole storyline is the real canon. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yvonmukluk posted:

I say mightygodking's edit of the whole storyline is the real canon. :colbert:

Also yes. If you want to know where to get a good burrito, you go to Doctor Strange.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Before it was even law, mind you.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

prefect posted:

But the best for drama.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

Or how the government called the guys who were supposed to enforce registration "Cape-killer Squads."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

Or how the government called the guys who were supposed to enforce registration "Cape-killer Squads."

Which never made sense to me diegetically. Since with the exception of Thor, none of the major super heroes in the Marvel Universe wear capes.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Skwirl posted:

Which never made sense to me diegetically. Since with the exception of Thor, none of the major super heroes in the Marvel Universe wear capes.

What about spider man?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Villains wear lots of capes, though. And if you don't support the Registration, well, how are you different from Doctor Doom?

edit: Trick Question. There are none like Doom.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 8, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Villains wear lots of capes, though. And if you don't support the Registration, well, how are you different from Doctor Doom?

edit: Trick Question. There are none like Doom.

Yeah, but the Registration Act was to specifically target vigilante heroes, since the villains are already covered under existing statutes banning murder and theft.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The worst thing about that entire stupid plot was that editorial never sat down with the writers and defined what the Act was. So everyone had a different idea and most were bloody terrible.

It varied from - "if you have powers and wish to use them to help people you must go through approved training and be registered or you will be arrested" all the way to "If you have powers and don't join our jackbooted stormtroopers we will send people to eat your arm."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Skwirl posted:

Sentry. Even if the population is mindwiped, they still remember 'cape'.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The worst thing about that entire stupid plot was that editorial never sat down with the writers and defined what the Act was. So everyone had a different idea and most were bloody terrible.

It varied from - "if you have powers and wish to use them to help people you must go through approved training and be registered or you will be arrested" all the way to "If you have powers and don't join our jackbooted stormtroopers we will send people to eat your arm."

They could have even kept the arm eating thing, as a demonstration of the consequences of putting a group of barely restrained psychopaths; led by Norman Osborne of all people; in charge of cape hunting. Hell, maybe that's what they meant to do, but not enough effort was made to differentiate the Thunderbolts' actions from those of normal government authorities.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think within the Thunderbolts they made that distinction, it's just that over in Spider-man the government was Turbo Hitler. Civil War was, ironically, not edited enough! Or, more likely, wasn't edited correctly. A consistent tone had to be maintained to make the thing work, and that's the opposite of what we got.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Moon Knight owns and Declan Shalvey is reeeeally good at expressing motion. From Conan the Barbarian #12:

Gotta love that Dave Stewart too. :cool:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I want to go back to the Thor vs Iron Man page for a bit. I don't really agree with the interpretations I've read so far and the issue is probably my favorite single issue of a Thor comic (though to be fair I haven't been reading much in the last few years so I have missed a lot of good Thor comics).

The posted page doesn't really show it, but Thor wasn't exactly pissed about Civil War. I read his attitude as more like "what you did is stupid but I consider myself above it since it's already over."

He was mostly pissed for two reasons. One was because he felt personally betrayed by Tony using his hair to clone Ragnarok. He considered it a desecration of himself and their friendship. Also this was right after Asgard just appeared as a floating island in the midwest and Tony was kind of threatening their sovereignty by implying (or outright stating, I can't remember) that they would have to abide by the registration act as well or SHIELD would be showing up to fight. The pages that explain that aren't super interesting visually, so here's the page where Thor shoots Tony really hard and talks some real good poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JMS liked to write Tony as Hitlerish as possible.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Let's be fair, a lot of writers liked to write Tony as Hitler-ish as possible.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've loved iron man since I was a kid, but good god was civil war a depressing time to be a fan. Every writer just wanted to poo poo all over him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I've loved iron man since I was a kid, but good god was civil war a depressing time to be a fan. Every writer just wanted to poo poo all over him.

The only writers that made him seem human were the Knaufs. I still think its one of the best Iron Man runs. :colbert:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Monaghan posted:

I think Civil Wars was just an excuse by the writers to have heroes fighting each other, like a kid banging his action figures together.
We did get to see Susan Storm curb-stomp Taskmaster, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I think Civil Wars was just an excuse by the writers to have heroes fighting each other, like a kid banging his action figures together.

It's really satisfying Sue Storm curb stomps someone. Anyone have images?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Monaghan posted:

Same here. Civil War pretty much cured my Iron Man fandom.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Say Nothing posted:

I liked Civil War in the way of "oh hey Marvel's showing us what an insane police state real life USA has become" but it was kinda flat imo.

The Embedded tie ins were awesome tho.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

coconono posted:

I liked Civil War in the way of "oh hey Marvel's showing us what an insane police state real life USA has become" but it was kinda flat imo.

Well it was pretty flaccid at doing that when the end of the story is the horribly wrong side being vindicated despite their cartoonish evil actions. And not even in a depressing way where the public thinks the good guys won but evil prevailed, either, it's straight up Tony Stark being like "Yeah, I was the good guy all along! Just ask my friend, the Hate-Monger!".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coconono posted:

The Embedded tie ins were awesome tho.

Wasn't that the series that ended with Cap being proved wrong because he never used myspace?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wasn't that the series that ended with Cap being proved wrong because he never used myspace?

See: the Mightygodking's aforementioned edit. http://mightygodking.com/2010/06/17/from-the-moldering-portion-of-the-vaults/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
It's funny that my friends who don't read comics often love Civil War. I think when you take character no-one knows the history behind and turn them into broad characters devoid of backhistory you can appeal to a big market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

It's funny that my friends who don't read comics often love Civil War. I think when you take character no-one knows the history behind and turn them into broad characters devoid of backhistory you can appeal to a big market.

I actually think it reads pretty well as a stand-alone story. The ending still sucks, but it's a good concept, and there are a couple really awesome moments (like the part where Spider-Man turns on Tony). It's just when you consider the context of every other tie-in book, plus present and past comics history, there are so many inconsistensies and weird choices that it becomes harder to justify.

I remember really liking it also when I read it before I actually got into comics. Now I'm pretty lukewarm on it, though I don't think it's one of the worst events they've done.