Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

twistedmentat posted:

I also loved Brian Poshen as Jim Kuback on Mission Hill.

Mission Hill was a piece of animated treasure that will unfortunately stay on the fringe of pop culture.

Seriously, that show was loving awesome. I think it really would have thrived nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Why does everyone hate Tim and Eric all the sudden? Last I heard, they have an awesome show and they do a great job with it. Haven't really been paying attention.

Also Joel McHale, you can stop working out now buddy, you're done, you exercised to completion.

I think this is the first time an episode has had major references to more obscure things I'm actually into. It was fun. Maybe not an ultimate classic but I certainly won't skip it on rewatch.

I also think they did a good job integrating the newer characters. Jonathan Banks' mini-rant in the cold open was great, and Coogler seems like the exact sort of person you might find at a community college. He's not *that* old! I don't miss Troy or Pierce like I thought I would. Though I did like them both the show has been pretty good with respecting the characters and giving them a proper sendoff without feeling like the show is lesser for them leaving.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 8, 2014

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Best episode in years and I hope it's an indication of more to come. I really like the idea of the show itself developing into almost more of a long-form sketch comedy show, where you have characters with developed personalities but every week it's a weird, random situation that just plays out. The actual school stuff is boring and pointless, as is most of the interpersonal character development stuff. Just give us these character types and throw them into a situation, that's the heart of the show imo.

I wouldn't watch the show you described. Conceptually I really liked this episode and it was far higher quality than the last concept episode, but it also felt too much like the others, where something (usually a contest, this time an app) is introduced to the school and everyone goes insane for it and the study group is always so important in the grand scheme of the story. It just feels too much like the kind of super obvious tropes I loved the show for skewering back in season 1.

However, I definitely DID enjoy it and overall, I've really liked this season.

juniperjones fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 8, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Dugong posted:

Best moment had to be Abed not being allowed to fall below 5.

I personally found Hickey's exasperated monologue about picking and choosing which parts of the country to defend was the best part of the episode :D

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah his exasperated expression and speech was fantastic.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Mister Fister posted:

I personally found Hickey's exasperated monologue about picking and choosing which parts of the country to defend was the best part of the episode :D

I actually just watched it again and came here to post exactly that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I just rewatched it and I liked the part where the fours scoff at Jeff for being a new four. Like there's a little hierarchy inside the hierarchy.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I just rewatched it and I liked the part where the fours scoff at Jeff for being a new four. Like there's a little hierarchy inside the hierarchy.

Tim's speech and mannerisms were spot-on for what they were going for. It was perfect.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

I also loved Brian Poshen as Jim Kuback on Mission Hill.

Can you believe that someone left these brownies on the subway?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Hickey's little rant at the beginning made me think that they probably had him going underground at some point to escape it all, but ended up not being able to fit it in. He'd have been like the wise hermit on the mountain (in the basement) who remembers the old days or something.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tirranek posted:

Hickey's little rant at the beginning made me think that they probably had him going underground at some point to escape it all, but ended up not being able to fit it in. He'd have been like the wise hermit on the mountain (in the basement) who remembers the old days or something.

Yeah, I figured he was the old guy in Logan's Run. The collection of Speculative-sci-fi dystopia tropes was great, in general. Has anyone else produced a similarly good Logan's Run/Brave New World/Zardoz/etc mashup?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah, I figured he was the old guy in Logan's Run. The collection of Speculative-sci-fi dystopia tropes was great, in general. Has anyone else produced a similarly good Logan's Run/Brave New World/Zardoz/etc mashup?

Beyond the Black Rainbow (which someone mentioned before) soooooort of does that, in the way that it's inspired by 70s era SciFi for its aesthetic, but it's more of an art film than anything else, and paced accordingly. I guess Lexx also works off of the same base of fantasy and speculative fiction... You could always read SCUD, which Harmon penned a few storylines for. It is absolutely a surreal post apocalyptic SciFi narrative, and I often see echoes of it in Community and Rick and Morty.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The blurb for the ep before it aired still talked about Hickey going underground so your guess is quite good!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Can someone explain the apple reference, please?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It sounded sort of racist. "But I do love me dem apples since I'm a 2"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow (which someone mentioned before) soooooort of does that, in the way that it's inspired by 70s era SciFi for its aesthetic, but it's more of an art film than anything else, and paced accordingly. I guess Lexx also works off of the same base of fantasy and speculative fiction... You could always read SCUD, which Harmon penned a few storylines for. It is absolutely a surreal post apocalyptic SciFi narrative, and I often see echoes of it in Community and Rick and Morty.

drat, now I want Rick and Morty to do a Zardoz alternate universe episode with Puffy Vagina orgy-porgy and over-propped Car-oh-sell ceremonies.

I'll put Beyond the Black Rainbow on the list too.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

juniperjones posted:

I wouldn't watch the show you described. Conceptually I really liked this episode and it was far higher quality than the last concept episode, but it also felt too much like the others, where something (usually a contest, this time an app) is introduced to the school and everyone goes insane for it and the study group is always so important in the grand scheme of the story. It just feels too much like the kind of super obvious tropes I loved the show for skewering back in season 1.

However, I definitely DID enjoy it and overall, I've really liked this season.

Couldn't agree more. I enjoyed this episode, and I think it was easily the best gimmick episode since Basic Lupine Urology. But I still really prefer it when they keep things simple. Speaking of Basic Lupine Urology, Rob Schrab really does a great job with this type of episode. If there's a sixth season, I hope they let him direct all of them.

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

This episode really nailed everything I enjoy about the way Community handles references to pop culture. It's there if you want it, but unlike (and this is a bad example) Family Guy, you don't NEED to be aware of the thing being referenced.

It also really highlighted the range of humour in this show. There's the quick, easily-quotable one liners and then there's episodes like this... where, for me at least, most of the comedy comes out of the ludicrous (but well thought-out) situations. Oddly reminded me of The League of Gentlemen (especially the last season where they ditched the laugh track) - they routinely and lovingly referenced all manner of dark/horror tropes, but in away that left a lot of people wondering how it was a comedy at all. Personally, I love that poo poo.

This episode also reminded me again, how they don't shoot outdoors anymore. Only because there was an exterior shot in the fake trailer. It got me all nostalgic for the steps and the quad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It was just Jeff's dumb stand-up comedian catchphrase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6PCcM39Pgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UHLycoFTbc

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I think the idea was that apples are cheap, but considered something special by a level 2, the joke being that life as a 2 sucks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The joke is that instead of some feat of strength or whatever Jeff proves he's worthy by doing an incredibly lovely standup routine. I think you guys are overthinking it.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

MrAristocrates posted:

The joke is that instead of some feat of strength or whatever Jeff proves he's worthy by doing an incredibly lovely standup routine. I think you guys are overthinking it.

There's also a bit of meta-commentary in there in that in order to become popular with the audiance, Jeff tells incredibly formulaic jokes that play on (and reinforce) the audiance's prejudices, and his performance is every bit as generic and formulaic as the jokes.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

How many episodes now have we seen Greendale go completely to poo poo in a matter of days? I count:

Paintball
Halloween #2
Mockumentary #2
Pillows and Blankets
Starburns's funeral riot
Lava floor

And I'm not even counting stuff like Paintball #2 or Chang taking over the school.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tinstaach posted:

How many episodes now have we seen Greendale go completely to poo poo in a matter of days?

Far too often. Paintball I can understand because its a game and people go home when they're done. But literal riots and the whole Chang thing from season 3? Give me a loving break.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tinstaach posted:

How many episodes now have we seen Greendale go completely to poo poo in a matter of days? I count:

Paintball
Halloween #2
Mockumentary #2
Pillows and Blankets
Starburns's funeral riot
Lava floor

And I'm not even counting stuff like Paintball #2 or Chang taking over the school.

-Chicken Fingers (if that counts)

- Student Body Elections (sort of)

- The Law & Order parody

- The one where they try to recruit the really rich kid

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I didn't see any mention of my favourite line yet:

Britta: I'm majoring in psychology! Words are my weapons!

Sec. Guard: I'm a security guard. Weapons are my weapons. *Taser*

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Angry Walrus posted:

I think the idea was that apples are cheap, but considered something special by a level 2, the joke being that life as a 2 sucks.

I figured it was a subtle jab at Good Will Hunting since Dan Harmon hates that movie, especially the apples scene.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

Far too often. Paintball I can understand because its a game and people go home when they're done. But literal riots and the whole Chang thing from season 3? Give me a loving break.

I think what we have is a result of a show that has been on for five seasons and is now re-grounding the characters. Since the characters act less cartoony (it's arguable but I'd say it's noticeable this year), and since their interpersonal relationships are well-worn territory at this point, something has to give. Something has to turn cartoony.

In this case, it's the environments and situations they find themselves in.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
While it's obvious this season is better than season 4 is it better than season 3? Also the show has done a fine job without resorting to catchphrases and callbacks like it's done every other year. By making Duncan and Hickey regulars the show feels more fresh than it's ever been.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CaptainHollywood posted:

While it's obvious this season is better than season 4 is it better than season 3?

The third season had Emperor Chang and "Contemporary Impressionists", which I think is probably the worst episode of the entire series. Everything considered, I honestly thing season 4 was a (very small) step up from season 3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A local version of 4chan. Who thought that would be a good idea...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Honestly aside from the Chang Emperor stuff and Jeff's love interest in Season 1 all of the first three seasons sort of blur together for me.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Which episode had the Greendale international food expo turning into a riot?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Dark One posted:

Which episode had the Greendale international food expo turning into a riot?

The episode where Shirley gave birth, and it was entirely offscreen.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Well, someone got a meowmeowbot working on r/community:

http://www.reddit.com/user/meowmeowbot

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Irish Joe posted:

Haha. Imagine someone saying this about The Simpsons.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I honestly feel like you'd be a lot happier if you stopped watching Community. I don't think it's for you.

umalt posted:

I figured it was a subtle jab at Good Will Hunting since Dan Harmon hates that movie, especially the apples scene.

If that's what it is, then it is a VERY subtle jab, because it doesn't really come across at all.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Even Brita filters are getting in on the action :D

https://twitter.com/BritaUSA/status/441793460006166530

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Mister Fister posted:

Even Brita filters are getting in on the action :D

https://twitter.com/BritaUSA/status/441793460006166530

I actually like when corporate Twitter accounts have self depreciating humour. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

computer parts posted:

Honestly aside from the Chang Emperor stuff and Jeff's love interest in Season 1 all of the first three seasons sort of blur together for me.

I can't understand that at all, season 1 and season 3 feel like two completely different shows to me.

Smoothrich posted:

Haha. Imagine someone saying this about The Simpsons.

Isn't that like the worst example imaginable? A show that was extremely funny and inventive in its early seasons that became stale and repetitive, and tried to make up for it with wacky nonsense plots and pointless guest stars.

• Locked thread