Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I could imagine that while a battle is taking place, the memory-wiping lady suddenly appears and wipes Erwin and Hange and the Survey Corps veterans of their memories, making them forget why they're fighting or how to fight, and then the royal troops seize the opportunity and arrest and hang the veterans.

If we're talking about all the ways the rebellion can go horribly awry...

But how could that be, when Eren is the memory-wiping lady? :v: :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Some fantastic avatar / nightmare fuel there. loving hell Armin, you and your goddamn expressions.

I'm not sure anyone is a good guy in this story anymore. gently caress.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Considering that Armin Meiwes (who's probably SnK Armin's namesake) made the news in Japan back in 2002, perhaps it's not so surprising that he turns out to be one of the nuttiest of them all. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Some fantastic avatar / nightmare fuel there. loving hell Armin, you and your goddamn expressions.

Good, they aren't either! :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So Armin is just as crazy and messed up as the rest of his childhood friends.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AnonSpore posted:

Considering that Armin Meiwes (who's probably SnK Armin's namesake) made the news in Japan back in 2002, perhaps it's not so surprising that he turns out to be one of the nuttiest of them all. :v:

Pretty ironic that he's one of the cast that can't turn into a titan.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I liked Mikasa's line in this chapter: "I didn't raise him to be this way."

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Mo_Steel posted:

Nobody's strictly evil, either. Every character in this series wants to believe that what they're doing is righteous, even when they consciously concede that their actions are, in actuality, dictated by survival.

Hunt11 posted:

Armin is pretty much everything Anakin Skywalker's character arc should have been; a fearful but basically good kid who slowly loses all good intentions as they continuously let themselves rationalize some really dark actions under an increasingly pessimistic utilitarianism. Pretty much what happens to the vast majority of people who play a role in world politics.

snucks fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 8, 2014

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
I thought Armin's suggestion was perfectly reasonable (if difficult to pull off, considering the monarchy's information controls)? Winning power struggles is important and methods of survival precede application of moral philosophy. There's little reason to believe that anyone with a serious interest in maintaining the status quo is going to simply accept the succession of a Recon Corps soldier to the throne. They're still going to have to fight and kill a lot of people. If they're lucky it'll only be people who are enemy soldiers and guilty collaborators in some sense. If they're unlucky they'll wind up killing a lot of innocents and lot of comrades and might not even succeed. Unwillingness to secure victory against enemies with no such scruples is not a virtue.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oh. Ha. It just hit me. Erwin isn't losing it.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c051/37.html

Erwin's creepy smile is because his father's theory and life's work has been proven to be true in that moment he learned that titans are human beings. I figured Erwin was the one losing it and Armin would be the person to replace him, but now the shoe is on the other foot.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 8, 2014

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Oh. Ha. It just hit me. Erwin isn't losing it.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c051/37.html

Erwin's creepy smile is because his father's theory and life's work has been proven to be true in that moment he learned that titans are human beings. I figured Erwin was the one losing it and Armin would be the person to replace him, but now the shoe is on the other foot.
Oh poo poo, that was completely indecipherable when it first came out. Smiling/tearing up a little can be super unsettling out of context. :stare:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh god. This can't possible end well. It feels like I'm reading some kind of slow motion trainwreck.

I think the central theme of SnK is: hubris. The outer world toyed with titan transformations and mind control, and paid the price in blood. Everything that has occurred has come around back to this. The protagonist, Eren, attained the ultimate power and received nothing but pain and humiliation for it. The village of sentient titans outside the village also have this power, and pay for this in a constant cycle of predation and rebirth. And now, the Recon corps are going to pull off a coup: there is no doubt that they are the most badass soldiers on the block, and they could indeed probably pull it off no matter what hosed up old-world toys the king has up his sleeve, but I seriously doubt there would be much left of the society once they're done with it. No one's going to accept Historia as anything more than a pretender and usurper to the throne.

Oh, and that's why the MP almost shot Eren in the courtroom. Maybe they were scared he was command wording the audience? And it really sounds like Eren did some kind of command work on Mikasa all those years ago.

And is the reason that Historia and Ymir are VIPs amongst the humans and titans the reason why the latter had some kind of compulsion to seek out the former?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Phobophilia posted:

Oh, and that's why the MP almost shot Eren in the courtroom. Maybe they were scared he was command wording the audience? And it really sounds like Eren did some kind of command work on Mikasa all those years ago.
Is there any evidence that Eren can command humans? Or that anyone was aware he had his titan-commanding power before he demonstrated it against Chuckles? (Maybe his dad knew...) I know Bert and Ernie were looking for the "coordinate" but they had no idea it was Eren; he was just an incompetent titan shifter by their standards and barely worthy of note.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I didn't notice them saying that. If true, it would blatantly contradict Before the Fall. I guess that answers the canonicity question.

They didn't flat out said it, but if they are suppressing hot air balloons because they are a danger to the king I find it hard to believe that they will let 3d gear develop.
As Pixis said, it makes a assassination of the king by a soldier extremely easy

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But does it contain potatoes?

According to this article Sasha gets her own set course, a bucket containing 5 S-size fry orders. Bless you, Lotteria.

http://entabe.jp/news/article/4095

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

eladank posted:

They didn't flat out said it, but if they are suppressing hot air balloons because they are a danger to the king I find it hard to believe that they will let 3d gear develop.
As Pixis said, it makes a assassination of the king by a soldier extremely easy

3d gear's primary use is to fight titans. Having the technology to fight titans is completely necessary. Especially now that one of the walls has fallen. Everything else could be used to expand humanity's technological development or knowledge of the outside world and make it harder for the people in power to stay in power.

quote:

I know Bert and Ernie were looking for the "coordinate" but they had no idea it was Eren; he was just an incompetent titan shifter by their standards and barely worthy of note.

This isn't the case. Annie was desperate to kidnap Eren out of fear he was the coordinate.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

3d gear's primary use is to fight titans. Having the technology to fight titans is completely necessary. Especially now that one of the walls has fallen. Everything else could be used to expand humanity's technological development or knowledge of the outside world and make it harder for the people in power to stay in power.

This isn't the case. Annie was desperate to kidnap Eren out of fear he was the coordinate.

So what could be in that basement is just a library of really old history books?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

So what could be in that basement is just a library of really old history books?
I guess I'm a huge nerd because that sounds like the best possibility. :neckbeard:

eladank
Feb 22, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Having the technology to fight titans is completely necessary.

It's only necessary if you intend to fight titans, and the royalty never intended on doing that - that's the whole point of the walls.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Especially now that one of the walls has fallen. Everything else could be used to expand humanity's technological development or knowledge of the outside world and make it harder for the people in power to stay in power.

except according to this chapter the walls have only existed for 107 years, so when people in the beginning said that no titan has breached the wall in 100 years it meant no titan has ever breached the walls.
meaning that the only use for the 3d gear prior to the falling of the walls was to expand humanity's knowledge of the outside world.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

.....Now I hope this is the case.

quote:

except according to this chapter the walls have only existed for 107 years, so when people in the beginning said that no titan has breached the wall in 100 years it meant no titan has ever breached the walls.
meaning that the only use for the 3d gear prior to the falling of the walls was to expand humanity's knowledge of the outside world.

Originally it was just the scouts with the 3d gear, and Sannes said this very chapter they expected the scouts to kill themselves in the outside world. My guess is part of the reason why they even allow the scouts to exist is to give the people the idea they're trying to do something about the titans instead of just control their little world. With the scouts constant failures though the people hate them, and would eventually come to not care about the outside world as even with "the best technology" they can't beat titans.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 8, 2014

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Soulcleaver posted:

Is there any evidence that Eren can command humans?
zzzap

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/6/27

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's more likely Mikasa was just experimented on like Eren and is part Titan or whatever.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

It's more likely Mikasa was just experimented on like Eren and is part Titan or whatever.

I think it's more likely he commanded her or nothing actually happened at all. Anime sure made it weird though busting the floor and poo poo.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

PaganGoatPants posted:

I think it's more likely he commanded her or nothing actually happened at all. Anime sure made it weird though busting the floor and poo poo.
Wut. The pages were *just* posted.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm wondering if that couple in the hot air balloon is Armin's parents, was it ever mentioned how they died?

Also, Erwin's dad was Stephen Merchant .

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Hey guys, what if we set fire to the Reichstag? Haha, jklol"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So the royal bloodline has existed for around 2000 years, huh?

"To you, 2000 years from now."
:tinfoil:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NEXT TIME ON GAME OF TITANS

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

eladank posted:

It makes a lot of sense if it's viewed through the lens of information control. Remember when Eren and Armin were young? Before the whole avenge-my-mom vendetta, Eren wanted to enlist in the Survey Corps so he could explore the outside world, even though he knew it was suicidal. An air balloon would literally/figuratively let people see titans from a different point of view and maybe come in contact with humans outside the wall, both of which present immediate threats to the order within the wall.

PaganGoatPants posted:

:unsmith:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm wondering if that couple in the hot air balloon is Armin's parents, was it ever mentioned how they died?

I thought they died during the attempt to retake wall Mara

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That was his grandpa. His parents died before the comic started for reasons that have yet to be explained.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Unless the royal family actually has some sort of special hereditary trait or power, how would Historia taking the throne do anything? If the aristocrats don't like you, you don't have any legitimacy regardless of what your last name is. In fact, unless by virtue of some sort of magical "divine right", what would actually make a family "the real royals" if they are never actually in power sitting on the chair wearing the hat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They must have some sort of special trait or else they wouldn't have been left alive.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It's been speculated that the king is a titan commander. That would definitely be useful enough that the other aristocrats wouldn't want to assassinate him.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Fister Roboto posted:

That was his grandpa. His parents died before the comic started for reasons that have yet to be explained.

They wanted to see the outside world without any restrictions and even showed Armin the history books that he then showed to Eren. Them being the couple with the hot air balloon makes sense.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Unless the royal family actually has some sort of special hereditary trait or power, how would Historia taking the throne do anything? If the aristocrats don't like you, you don't have any legitimacy regardless of what your last name is. In fact, unless by virtue of some sort of magical "divine right", what would actually make a family "the real royals" if they are never actually in power sitting on the chair wearing the hat.

The current king is merely a puppet. Why would the Reiss need a puppet king if they weren't protecting themselves from something? The other royals might not be a member of the conspirators.

Edit: A lot of higher ups in the political food chain are obviously not in the conspiracy. If Darius Zackly was in on it, he would have given Eren to the Military Police without a second thought.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 9, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So what are the plans if the coup succeeds? What are they going to do with it?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm pretty sure once the infighting and intrigues between the two branches of the military are over, they mean to concentrate on taking back Wall Maria.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

If you look at the kids in the classroom, you notice that Levi and Erwin are in the same class. Same with the Ymir look-alike that dies.

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

LaTex Fetish posted:

If you look at the kids in the classroom, you notice that Levi and Erwin are in the same class. Same with the Ymir look-alike that dies.
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/55/15

I see a kid with freckles but which one is supposed to be Levi?
Dammit Isayama are you ever gonna learn to draw human faces