Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

El Tortuga posted:

Mission Hill was a piece of animated treasure that will unfortunately stay on the fringe of pop culture.

Seriously, that show was loving awesome. I think it really would have thrived nowadays.

I posted about it in the Simpsons thread, and discovered you can find the whole series on youtube legit. And yea, if it was on Adult Swim it would be crazy popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought the Simpsons comment was funny because of this line, "Oh, dear God. Can't this town go one day without a riot?"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, if it was on Adult Swim it would be crazy popular.

But it did air on it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

I posted about it in the Simpsons thread, and discovered you can find the whole series on youtube legit.

Even better, YouTube has the original broadcast version with all the music intact. I think the DVDs replaced everything but the theme song with soundalikes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Stairmaster posted:

But it did air on it.

Yea, but long after it had been canceled.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The bleeped swear from Jeff's standup is perfect. It just makes that whole scene.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I was pretty lukewarm on the episode until I watched it a second time. Now I think it's god drat brilliant.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

El Tortuga posted:

I honestly feel like you'd be a lot happier if you stopped watching Community. I don't think it's for you.

:shrug:

Maybe I just like different aspects of Community than you do. You like childish antics, tired catchphrases and pointless wackiness. I like interesting, multifaceted characters, word play and genre subversion. Neither of us is wrong in enjoying the aspects that we enjoy and just because an episode leans too heavily on pointless wackiness (or, on the other hand, deep character study) doesn't mean the series overall isn't for me (or you).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

twistedmentat posted:

I posted about it in the Simpsons thread, and discovered you can find the whole series on youtube legit. And yea, if it was on Adult Swim it would be crazy popular.

It was on Adult Swim, even back before Adult Swim was hot garbage.

Granted, it was in reruns, but it didn't even stick around that long in that case.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

CaptainHollywood posted:

While it's obvious this season is better than season 4 is it better than season 3? Also the show has done a fine job without resorting to catchphrases and callbacks like it's done every other year. By making Duncan and Hickey regulars the show feels more fresh than it's ever been.

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I enjoyed season 3. I kept waiting for it to get good again that season, and I didn't even finish it when I was trying to rewatch the eerie.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Maybe I just like different aspects of Community than you do. You like childish antics, tired catchphrases and pointless wackiness. I like interesting, multifaceted characters, word play and genre subversion. Neither of us is wrong in enjoying the aspects that we enjoy and just because an episode leans too heavily on pointless wackiness (or, on the other hand, deep character study) doesn't mean the series overall isn't for me (or you).

You just appreciate Community on a much deeper level.

IRQ posted:

It was on Adult Swim, even back before Adult Swim was hot garbage.
The channel's pretty far from garbage, especially considering Dan Harmon's other show is on there.

juniperjones posted:

I'm enjoying it a lot more than I enjoyed season 3. I kept waiting for it to get good again that season, and I didn't even finish it when I was trying to rewatch the eerie.
Season 3 had great aspects, but it seemed very full of itself at times, and kind of sacrificed funny in the process. Season 5 seems sure of itself, but not the point of obnoxiousness, and is actually really funny.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Turin Turambar posted:

A local version of 4chan. Who thought that would be a good idea...

The local version of 4chan is topix (oh god never go there by the way)

Great episode though, great season. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

The difference is that I like both of those things. Uggggh, stop being so drat smarmy. It's worse than being The Worst.

twistedmentat posted:

That is VERY good to know. Watching the same episodes of Mission Hill and The Oblongs over and over on Adult Swim was my senior year. (I was not cool in school.)

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Season 3 had Remedial Chaos Theory, Advanced Gay, Documentary Filmmaking: Redux, Pillows and Blankets, Basic Lupine Urology, and Curriculum Unavailable. Those are amongst the best episodes the show's ever done both in terms of comedy, genre parody stuff and, in some cases, characterization. Sure, the season also had a ton of total crap, mostly related to the Chang arc plot, but I don't think that negates the highs.

Also season 3 is interesting because it combines "Pointless Wackiness" with character studies in its best episodes, thus proving that Irish Joe is yet again making an idiotic false dichotomy.

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

I feel like if you had mustard on your face people would be inclined to actually listen to you.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Republican Vampire posted:

Season 3 had Remedial Chaos Theory, Advanced Gay, Documentary Filmmaking: Redux, Pillows and Blankets, Basic Lupine Urology, and Curriculum Unavailable. Those are amongst the best episodes the show's ever done both in terms of comedy, genre parody stuff and, in some cases, characterization. Sure, the season also had a ton of total crap, mostly related to the Chang arc plot, but I don't think that negates the highs.

Also season 3 is interesting because it combines "Pointless Wackiness" with character studies in its best episodes, thus proving that Irish Joe is yet again making an idiotic false dichotomy.

Apart from RCT and Basic Lupine Urology, I wouldn't call any of the episodes you mention particularly good, let alone among the best episodes the show's ever done. They do stand out as the best episodes in a really weak season (except for Advanced Gay and Pillows and Blankets) but nothing more.

One of the many reasons season 3 was inferior to the previous two is because the characters were turned into cartoons, something that the season five premiere acknowledged. Really, what interesting character studies were there in season 3? Jeff's daddy issues? Britta going full retard? Troy's AC repair school arc? Turning Abed into a sociopath? Shirley and Annie doing nothing all season? Pierce's cartoon character of a father?

Irish Joe is right that season 3 buried the characters and the stories in wacky nonsense. Thankfully, season 5 has been much better, even if it's a bit heavy on the gimmick episodes for my taste. I think one of the biggest improvements is that the show no longer sacrifices characters for jokes the same way it did in season 3.

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

I think the issue lies in the same reason a lot of people seem to get enjoyment out the show - they built a solid enough basis that at this point, more or less allows them to do anything. When you've got that kind of scope available, it's inevitable that as you experiment you're not always going to p,ease everyone.

And I think that's why season 5 has been so reassuring in the end. It's had the wackiness, but it's obvious they're addressing how that's balanced with the more character/relationship-centric plots. It's been great so far, but it's always going to be one of those shows that's impossible to judge on standalone episodes.

Also, I know I've mentioned how I don't like the lack of exterior shots these days. Just remembered when Troy left it seemed like it was shot outside, sort of. That was nice. More stuff like that please.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Tartan Target posted:

I feel like if you had mustard on your face people would be inclined to actually listen to you.

That's something a 3 would say.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax

Nichael posted:

The channel's pretty far from garbage, especially considering Dan Harmon's other show is on there.

Yeah, if anybody hasn't watched Rick and Morty...do it. Such a quality show.

And at the risk of coming across as overly-TVIV, I took the "Apple" bit as a jab at consumer-culture among lower social and economic classes.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

ABC - Apple Based Comedy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Good news: Season 5 will apparently be the first to get a Blu-ray release.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

FINALLY!!!

:woop: :woop: :woop:

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

CruJones posted:

Yeah, if anybody hasn't watched Rick and Morty...do it. Such a quality show.

And at the risk of coming across as overly-TVIV, I took the "Apple" bit as a jab at consumer-culture among lower social and economic classes.

The apple thing was making fun of those random, nonsensical observations about race you'd see in 90s comedy routines. Comedians would take something perfectly mundane that everybody does (like eating apples) and then say that a certain minority group does it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

HOT SQUATS posted:

The apple thing was making fun of those random, nonsensical observations about race you'd see in 90s comedy routines. Comedians would take something perfectly mundane that everybody does (like eating apples) and then say that a certain minority group does it.
The black people love chicken stereotype, for instance.

Y'know who else loves chicken? loving everybody* But for some reason, comedians latched onto that and made it a black thing.

*Except vegetarians and vegans, obviously.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1EDmntsDM

Oh, those wacky Goa'uld.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

*Except vegetarians and vegans, obviously.

They're not people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I wonder if they'll go back an re-release the earlier seasons on blu-ray. I know that its not common but I have seen a few shows do that. But they haven't rereleased Seinfeld on brd, so i doubt they'll do it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're not people.

Wow, I've never heard this joke before. :allears:

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if they'll go back an re-release the earlier seasons on blu-ray. I know that its not common but I have seen a few shows do that. But they haven't rereleased Seinfeld on brd, so i doubt they'll do it.

I don't think Community will be rereleased on Blu-ray as most shows aren't, but I guarantee at least one Darth Vader "Nooooo" will be included somewhere in the release of season 5.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ravane posted:

Its not really a joke.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ravane posted:

You're making a joke about repetitive jokes in the Community thread? Now that's funny.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

twistedmentat posted:

Community has been filmed in HD so it should be trivial to release it on Blu-Ray. I personally bought all the seasons on iTunes just so I could have them in HD without watermarks. I have considered getting a BR Burner just so I could burn them onto discs and be done with it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah Community is fairly future proofed, I think every episode besides the pilot was shot on 4k or 5k.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Edit: Yo dawg, don't hate on the vegetarians. That's all I want to say.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 10, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Its not really a joke.
He/she should've said they were human garbage. It'd be the same dismissive poo poo, but at least it would've been a quote from the show.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Irish Joe posted:

ahahahaha congrats on writing the most spectacularly passive-aggressive TVIV post I've ever seen

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Ravane posted:

I'm just tired of the demarcation of all vegetarians as rear end in a top hat hippies. That joke is as old and stereotypical as all black people loving watermelon and all gay people being effeminate guys with severely impaired speech.

Those vegans sure do love their apples.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 10, 2014

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Hey, listen, it's alright. You happen to like retard poo poo for idiot babies, that's fine. Personally, I have much more highly sophisticated tastes in the popular media that I consume. It's okay, we can still both enjoy the same things, albeit on vastly different intellectual levels. Don't be caremad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

I'm just tired of the demarcation of all vegetarians as rear end in a top hat hippies. That joke is as old and stereotypical as all black people loving watermelon and all gay people being effeminate guys with severely impaired speech. Are you making a funny joke? No, you're just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

I hate to be the Britta here, but seriously it's 2014, make a new goddamn joke. At least Community doesn't always reuse the same jokes over and over again.

First people can't define their masculinity by beating up queers, and now they can't do it by conspicuously eating lots of lovely food and putting down people who don't? When will the pussification of modern men end?! :reddit:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

We should put some mustard on this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ravane posted:

I'm just tired of the demarcation of all vegetarians as rear end in a top hat hippies. That joke is as old and stereotypical as all black people loving watermelon and all gay people being effeminate guys with severely impaired speech. Are you making a funny joke? No, you're just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

I hate to be the Britta here, but seriously it's 2014, make a new goddamn joke. At least Community doesn't always reuse the same jokes over and over again.

This is an overreaction to a throw away sentence.

• Locked thread