Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

heel JR was a worse idea than heel Michael Cole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Heel JR was a worse idea because JR is a legend that nobody really wants to boo, whereas nobody gives enough of a poo poo about Cole to care one way or the other about a Cole heel turn.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Was Heel JR the guy who built an announce table in front of King and Cole's?

Because Heel JR owned.

"King you wanna sit up here with the first team, or you wanna sit back there with the boy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VbsPSnPd0I

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Heel JR was a bad idea, but the worst idea was Heel Howard Finkel.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DeathChicken posted:

Same reason Shane Helms became Gregory Helms. Apparently they really don't think much of their audience.

Don't forget Heath Slater's nickname getting shortened to "One Man Band" because people would hear "One MAn Rock Band" and might think The Rock was coming out :downs:

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Neodoomium posted:

Heel JR was a bad idea, but the worst idea was Heel Howard Finkel.

I watched SummerSlam 02 recently and it featured heel Fink saying to, I think, Lillian "you've got your puppies and I've got my wiener." That may have been the most embarrassing thing I ever heard someone say. So yeah, nothing is gonna top that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Who is the worst 'spectacle' wrestler of all time? King Kong Bundy? Giant Gonzales? Great Khali?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The most unbelievable thing about heel JR was that they tried it more than once.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

Who is the worst 'spectacle' wrestler of all time? King Kong Bundy? Giant Gonzales? Great Khali?

Giant Gonzales by far. I don't know why you would consider Bundy in that list.

That list should include Kurrgan and Uncle Elmer, too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The only King Kong Bundy match I've ever seen was Wrestlemania III, and he (and that match) were real bad. He's just a paler Big Daddy V at that point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

The most unbelievable thing about heel JR was that they tried it more than once.

Oh, it's totally believable. Vince assumes that people would agree that JR's too old and ugly and Southern to be the voice of the show, and the handsome younger guy would naturally get the crowd's sympathy. It's the age-old problem of booking a heel to be unarguably in the right. JR was right when he said he was varsity and Cole is barely qualified for JV, which makes it impossible to root for Cole.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
King Kong Bundy is what the Bundys on 'Married... With Children' are named from. He appeared on the show twice (as himself and as a cousin of the family). I suffer no ill speak of any Bundy.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Not only that, despite his size King Kong Bundy is still alive, so he's definitely doing something right.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
RIP John 'Earthquake' Tenta.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shima Honnou posted:

Not only that, despite his size King Kong Bundy is still alive, so he's definitely doing something right.

Not only that, but when he was in King of Trios some years ago, he didn't really look or wrestle differently than he did 20 years previously, which is impressive.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Don't forget Rajah Lion!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, it's totally believable. Vince assumes that people would agree that JR's too old and ugly and Southern to be the voice of the show, and the handsome younger guy would naturally get the crowd's sympathy. It's the age-old problem of booking a heel to be unarguably in the right. JR was right when he said he was varsity and Cole is barely qualified for JV, which makes it impossible to root for Cole.

Eh, according to JR, Vince likes him and considers him a friend. Vince is just utterly horrible to the people he likes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Onmi posted:

Eh, according to JR, Vince likes him and considers him a friend. Vince is just utterly horrible to the people he likes.

JR is rasslin made flesh and there is at least one person (Kevin Dunn) in charge of the broadcasts who will do anything to get away from that. Hence they repeatedly humiliate him. Unfortunately he remains far and away their best commentator so they bring him in for Mania usually. JR is getting up there in years, though no more than Lawler, really.

I am not sure that Michael Cole has ever helped sell a ticket or a PPV buy in his life, let alone put over anything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

JR is rasslin made flesh and there is at least one person (Kevin Dunn) in charge of the broadcasts who will do anything to get away from that. Hence they repeatedly humiliate him. Unfortunately he remains far and away their best commentator so they bring him in for Mania usually. JR is getting up there in years, though no more than Lawler, really.

I am not sure that Michael Cole has ever helped sell a ticket or a PPV buy in his life, let alone put over anything.

Well (According to Cornette) Johnny Ace wanted JRs job as head of Talent Relations and Stephanie didn't like that JR argued with the creative team. And Dunn of course hates that he's working on Professional Wrestling.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Michael Cole made the best call in WWE history. Dude has talent, even if he doesn't get to show it.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Michael Cole made the best call in WWE history. Dude has talent, even if he doesn't get to show it.

if you're referring to the Foley title win all he did was not gently caress up the moment. It's better than baseline Cole but really nothing spectacular.

edit - wait, maybe you're talking about "break the drat ankle kurt" which happened while I wasn't watching but upon viewing since I thought was pretty meh too

Monkeycheese fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 9, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Even Foley has said he wished JR had called that moment.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I like Cole and I think he's capable of being a good play-by-play. the big problem is that he's basically told exactly what to say most of the time. if the commentator's aren't talking about the match going on, it's because Vince is telling them not. if they're making fun of Christian's appearance, same reason. I feel like the commentary as a whole would be a lot better if they were allowed to do their jobs without interference more often.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Cardboard Box posted:

I like Cole and I think he's capable of being a good play-by-play. the big problem is that he's basically told exactly what to say most of the time. if the commentator's aren't talking about the match going on, it's because Vince is telling them not. if they're making fun of Christian's appearance, same reason. I feel like the commentary as a whole would be a lot better if they were allowed to do their jobs without interference more often.

Probably one of the reasons Vince liked to screw with JR was because JR didn't pay much attention to him when he'd be in his ear.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cardboard Box posted:

But where would Jerry Lawler be without the elite writing team of Vincent Kennedy McMahon?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Cardboard Box posted:

Same here, Cole is a reliable play-by-play guy who does his job well and I never really had any complaints about him strictly calling action. The problem is he is atrocious at color commentary in that he always got a "just shut the gently caress up and call the action" response whenever he would deviate. He's lucky to have people like King/JBL as his color guy but, holy poo poo, when Vince tells him to do more color stuff it's never pretty because he's just so annoying. His infamous 2011 heel run was pretty much built on making him a character and it was just absolutely atrocious.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

But where would Jerry Lawler be without the elite writing team of Vincent Kennedy McMahon?
Jail, probably.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
What was the match that Ryback did commentary on? I want to see if it holds up from when I didn't know Vince was on the end of a direct line.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
While we're on commentators, what do people think about the current ring announcers? Personally I think Justin Roberts is awful, he doesnt really make me feel pumped up for big moments, and the way he enunciates and rolls his Rs really irritates me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Answers Me posted:

While we're on commentators, what do people think about the current ring announcers? Personally I think Justin Roberts is awful, he doesnt really make me feel pumped up for big moments, and the way he enunciates and rolls his Rs really irritates me.

Justin is the best announcer they have other than the Fink. I love his delivery, particularly when he announces THE UNDERRERRRRRTAKERRRRRRR.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tharizdun posted:

I've only seen one of his matches, but I'd bet money that no one was worse than Happy Humphrey.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGt4TL5sJbA

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

John Cena posted:

im sure its just a vinceism when it comes to names, but why was regal's name changed from steven to william?

Speaking of Regal, is there anyone else in the business who fits a similar formula of "venerable veteran respect status + legitimate badass toughguy heel = somehow a face"? I feel like Regal works heel pretty much all the time but he's so good at it and he's paid his dues so much and earned so much respect that he's become drat near impossible to hate.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Speaking of Regal, is there anyone else in the business who fits a similar formula of "venerable veteran respect status + legitimate badass toughguy heel = somehow a face"? I feel like Regal works heel pretty much all the time but he's so good at it and he's paid his dues so much and earned so much respect that he's become drat near impossible to hate.

I'd say this happens to pretty much every long-term heel once they reach 'legend' status

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sticklefifer posted:

Roddy Piper springs to mind.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Answers Me posted:

I think Justin Roberts is good, he has a nice clear voice and I like a lot of the flourish he adds. Lillian Garcia has a nice voice but messes up a lot.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

sticklefifer posted:

VogeGandire posted:

Roddy Piper springs to mind.

Ric Flair would be another. Bob Backlund? That's a bit of a stretch, though. Yeah, that's a pretty short list.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ghostpilot posted:

Ric Flair would be another. Bob Backlund? That's a bit of a stretch, though. Yeah, that's a pretty short list.

Terry Funk and, at this point, Harley Race fit that mold, especially for the tough guy badass part. Backlund fits too, but only because he's so lovably insane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Top 5 calls in WWE History:

5. 'The dog poop! The dog poop! The dog poop!'

4. 'Tazz, you hate the solar system.' 'Can't stand the solar system.'

3. 'I'm bi a lot of things, but lingual isn't one of them.

2. 'By gawd! These push-ups! THESE INTIMIDATING PUSH-UPS BY THE BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY!'

1. 'My dear sweet grandmother used to sit me on her knee, and with her gin soddened breath say to me: 'William, you were born to hang.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

projecthalaxy posted:

Not only that, but when he was in King of Trios some years ago, he didn't really look or wrestle differently than he did 20 years previously, which is impressive.

While Bundy still looks pretty good for his age, he never did Chikara. Are you thinking of One Man Gang? If so, that guy looked terrible and old, like the big, creepy, old dude from Ren and Stimpy.

After Gonzalez, the worst spectacle wrestler would probably be Zeus.