Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Is this type of bowl suitable to store sourdough starter or should it have a loose closing lid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

Is this type of bowl suitable to store sourdough starter or should it have a loose closing lid?

That's probably fine as long as you don't seal the lid and just let it rest.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Made a half batch of the BBA "White" bread hamburger buns with my new sourdough starter. Still added a little commercial yeast (1/4 tsp I think), but looks like the starter's working OK. Smelled awesome coming out of the oven. Have a few baguettes from BBA's "Basic Sourdough" proofing as well. Gonna get so fat (actually a lot just goes in the freezer)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

therattle posted:

That's probably fine as long as you don't seal the lid and just let it rest.

Closing the lid would turn it into an excellent device for evenly distributing your starter all over the inside of the refrigerator, though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PiratePing posted:

I have a hard time getting a crunchy crust on my breads. I have a smallish electric oven that loses heat really fast. I've tried pouring some water into a hot pan, spraying the walls of my oven and misting the bread itself in different combinations but it doesn't really help, especially not with all the opening and closing of the oven door.

My friends across the hall have a big old 70s hellbeast of a gas oven that is permanently set to "fiery pits". It's perfect for puffing up pita bread (as long as I watch it like a hawk) but I'm not sure how it would handle a loaf. Should I maybe try starting the bread in the hellbeast to get a nice oven spring/crust and then finish in my own oven to avoid burning it? Am I totally thinking about this the wrong way?

Try baking a loaf at hellbeast temperature - if you can live with the outside being a bit scorched, it sounds like it should work out ok, perhaps even great. At worst you're out a single bread.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 7, 2014

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I've started my french bread for the day, and I'm in the early parts of my 6 hour rise. Part of what the recipe calls for is for me to place the dough in a baguette pan. I don't have any one of those, anyone have any advise how i can shape and raise the dough in the final rise before baking?

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Computer viking posted:

Try baking a loaf at hellbeast temperature - if you can live with the outside being a bit scorched, it sounds like it should work out ok, perhaps even great. At worst you're out a single bread.

I agree. Also keep in mind that you can lower the temperature or even turn off the oven after a while. If even that is too much heat - bake the bread inside a pot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kenning posted:

Yes, Jesus. It's gonna cost you a couple cups of flour and a few days. Raw chicken is home to some nasty poo poo. This shouldn't even be a question.

Why was there raw chicken near your culture anyway?

The culture was nowhere near my chicken. I was just butchering up a chicken had a spoon sitting on the counter next to my cutting board. After I cleaned up the mess from the chicken I washed my hands and grabbed my culture to feed it and used the same spoon that was sitting there to scoop out my starter. I also cleaned up my countertop with a paper towel and vinegar/water spray and didn't throw the paper towel away and use that to kinda wipe my spoon to get my discard in the trash (and then this spoon with the now chicken-vinegar-water mix went right back in the starter to scoop up some more.

I realized I probably hosed up when I turned around to grab a clean spoon to spoon in some new flour.

Anyway I threw it out. I started another culture with a mixture of white whole wheat and whole wheat flour (before I was using bread flour and whole wheat). The culture is darker of course, and it smells way different, but after 2 days (without feeding) it's already coming alive. The other difference was I used bottled water instead of tap water, not sure how much of a difference this makes. I've only fed it once now and it's doing great.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Have you tried baking your bread in a container inside of the oven? The no-kneads get their hard crust from that, right? I bake mine in a Lagostina cast iron and it comes out crunchy and perfect. If you do that then you shouldn't have to open and close your oven door for spraying and all that jazz.

Unfortunately the only cast iron pan I have is way too big for my oven.

Computer viking posted:

I just realized hellbeast could work just fine if I turn the oven off after the crust is formed and let the residual heat do the rest. It'll take a bit of experimenting to get the timing right but beautiful crunchy bread is worth it. :dance:

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

PiratePing posted:

Unfortunately the only cast iron pan I have is way too big for my oven.

I've had success using a baking pan and a stainless steel bowl over my loaf.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012

Le0 posted:

Thank you for that site, will be useful.

Is there anyway to share recipes in Panadero? Would be awesome.

A bit of a late response but since I created the app I might as well. I'm testing private sharing of recipes in an internal build but other paid work is slowing it down. The current version lets you email copies of the recipe but it has to be manually entered on the other side. Updated version would generate a temporary URL on my server that the app can use to import a recipe (no in-app browser or anything like that just yet). Down side is that I have to include the internet permission and it makes some people go all :tinfoil:.

Next version also includes an optional flattened view of multi-stage recipes (e.g. poolish / biga).

I recently got several low ratings without any review and that sort of thing just kills my enthusiasm. Time for some disappointment caraway rye.

Troll fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 9, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Troll posted:

A bit of a late response but since I created the app I might as well. I'm testing private sharing of recipes in an internal build but other paid work is slowing it down. The current version lets you email copies of the recipe but it has to be manually entered on the other side. Updated version would generate a temporary URL on my server that the app will respond to if shared with others (no browser or anything like that). Down side is that I have to include the internet permission and it makes some people go all :tinfoil:.

Next version also includes an optional flattened view of multi-stage recipes (e.g. poolish / biga).

I recently got several low ratings without any review and that sort of thing just kills my enthusiasm. Time for some disappointment caraway rye.

Hey dude, for what it's worth I love Panadero and use it all the time! Good work on the app, and those new features sound killer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tried making a boule in a cast iron dutch oven for the first time tonight... it turned out amazing! Delicious, crispy crust, and a lovely springy texture. Excellent with butter!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What is an average cooking temperature and time?

I made bread today and cooked for 20min at 240°C and then 15min at 190°C but sadly it came out overcooked and crust very dark.
Next time I will lower temperature I think but I was looking for a ball park time and temp?

It's a great app. People are assholes some times... I will rate your app.

Noticed you just updated it with sharing. Just a heads up that when I try to calculate one of my recipes quantities it crashes on me. However it doesn't crash with the rustic boule recipe?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 9, 2014

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's the best way to store bread after it's baked?

They keep getting hard... I don't have a breadbox, is there something like that I can do?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

What's the best way to store bread after it's baked?

They keep getting hard... I don't have a breadbox, is there something like that I can do?

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE. That makes bread go stale faster than anything since it causes the gluten to crystalize.

You can freeze bread, and it will be fine when you take it out to thaw.

Now that we have that out of the way, what you can do to keep your bread fresher is to make sure you have a good crust and that you cover the cut sides.

I personally will mist my bread when I first put it into the oven to ensure I have a nice crunchy crust. This also helps prevent oxygen from attacking the gluten when i'm storing the bread.

When I eat it, I will cut off the heel and save it. I will place the heel against the cut part and wrap it with plastic wrap to minimize the air contact, then put it into a plastic bag and seal it up tight.

But no matter what you do, understand that your bread will stale within 5-6 days. So eat it fast and make more fresh bread!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I finally made a bread I'm quite happy with. I still have a lot to learn but I'm getting there.

%5 buckwheat with mixed seeds. Very yummy

Troll
Jan 15, 2012

Le0 posted:

I finally made a bread I'm quite happy with. I still have a lot to learn but I'm getting there.

%5 buckwheat with mixed seeds. Very yummy

Excellent looking loaf. Do you have a crumb shot?

* Yeah it was an issue that affects recipes lacking sub-recipes. The fix is pushed but Google only knows when it will go live.

Troll fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 9, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
No crumb shot yet, its cooling down :)
I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the bug fixing!

EDIT: Crumb shot!

Still can't achieve a crusty crust tho :eng99: Can't get enough steam in my oven I think...

EDIT2: Thanks for the fix to Panadero, it works perfectly now

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 12, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think I'm ready to bake this weekend! Gonna follow the country bread recipe from Tartine. I have a baking steel, SS pan with kid, and aluminum foil. I don't have a Dutch oven or combo cooker. Can I MacGyver something with what I have?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think I'm ready to bake this weekend! Gonna follow the country bread recipe from Tartine. I have a baking steel, SS pan with kid, and aluminum foil. I don't have a Dutch oven or combo cooker. Can I MacGyver something with what I have?

If you have a large stainless steel bowl you can put that over the bread to mimic the steaming effect you get in a Dutch oven.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm going to try making the Rustic Boule listed in Panadero. Basically making Poulish and then tomorrow baking the stuff.

So I just mix the poulish stuff and put it in the fridge? Then tomorrow when I'm ready to bake simply add remaining flour to poulish knead then rise twice like usual?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

NightConqueror posted:

If you have a large stainless steel bowl you can put that over the bread to mimic the steaming effect you get in a Dutch oven.

Make sure that the bowl is large enough that the expanding bread won't bump into it!

Troll
Jan 15, 2012

Le0 posted:

I'm going to try making the Rustic Boule listed in Panadero. Basically making Poulish and then tomorrow baking the stuff.

Yeah you mix flour water and a bit of yeast together. I leave it out all night but it's like 65 in my house. Next day combine all remaining ingredients to make the final dough and do your proofing etc.

* In my notes I say 20 minutes with steam but 10 will probably get you better results. I use a therm pen to determine when to stop so YMMV on the total bake time. To many variables.

Troll fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 15, 2014

Hotchy Motchy
Dec 23, 2009
I done a bread

I followed that wacky French slap video and bread magic happened in my kitchen. I didn't follow a recipe, just volume-measured some flour (I need a drat scale) added a bit of active dry yeast, salt, as close to 70 percent's worth of water as I could, and there it is!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I am looking into getting a dough rising bucket (a cambro or something?) from a restaurant supply store that I can keep in the fridge with a no-knead good for several days. If I'm looking to mix up several days' worth of medium-large boules what size container do you guys think I should go for? My fridge isn't huge but I'm willing to remove a rack to make some space.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
So I started the BBA sourdough starter, oh, probably two weeks ago now. I thought it was pretty well active (after the last step of building the starter, it had several bubbles/holes after leaving out to ferment and smells sour), but everything I've made with it that doesn't include some supplementary instant yeast is flat, rubbery, un-risen junk.

My feeding process currently is to take 8oz of starter, and add 4oz bread flour and 4oz ~90deg water (as suggested in the recipe for feeding). I let it sit out on the counter for a good four hours, at which time I do see some bubbles forming. If the starter had sit in the frige for move than three days, I'll refresh and ferment for 4 hours, and put it in the fridge overnight.

This weekend, just to make sure I was giving fermentation enough time, I let a standard BBA "beginner sourdough" recipe primary ferment for four hours, and then three hours proof (around 75 room temp I think). After primary ferment, the dough ball had expanded (I'd say at least doubled), but it felt like cold, wet clay, not airy at all. When baking, I get some oven spring, but it's obvious that the dough hasn't proofed at all, all sorts of tearing, seams letting go (the boule I made ended up almost a sphere as the dough sprung through the seam in the bottom).

Should I start all over? I started this starter with some organic rye that probably has sat in the pantry for a year or more. I'm wondering if the little activity I'm seeing is something like the leuconostoc bacteria that Reinhart talks about in the book.

Edit: I tossed the starter I was using and got a new bag of dark rye to start with. After two days, it's already looking better and more active than my "final" starter did before. Will be set to test this weekend, wooo!

dedian fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I see green fuzzy mold in the jar where I keep my starter this morning. It's near the top where I have some dried bits of dough I guess.

What do I do?

Troll
Jan 15, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I see green fuzzy mold in the jar where I keep my starter this morning. It's near the top where I have some dried bits of dough I guess.

What do I do?

High risk: Spoon out some starter from the bottom and wash the glass.

Low Risk: Throw out your finely aged flask of decay and remember to swap and clean the container every few feedings.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I made some plain old white sandwich bread last night (someone at work made strawberry jam), and I didn't get any real rising out of the dough in the pan. So I got a tasty but pathetically short loaf of bread.

I have jar of Red Star dry yeast that I bought/opened about 8 months ago, the expiration date says May 2014.

Should I have just got new yeast?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I made some plain old white sandwich bread last night (someone at work made strawberry jam), and I didn't get any real rising out of the dough in the pan. So I got a tasty but pathetically short loaf of bread.

I have jar of Red Star dry yeast that I bought/opened about 8 months ago, the expiration date says May 2014.

Should I have just got new yeast?

Probably need a little more info than this.. How much yeast did you use (a recipe would be good)? Was the yeast stored in the refrigerator? With that sort of yeast, you should at least get some sort of rise in a few hours. What was the room temp and fermentation time? Was the dough mixed and then straight into the pan?

Edit: getting a new strip of instant yeast packets would be a pretty cheap troubleshooting step, but you'll have to make more bread (Always make more bread) - and really, you could probably put a teaspoon of your questionable yeast in 1/4 cup warm water, a teaspoon of sugar or so, and see if it starts bubbling up.

dedian fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 19, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dedian posted:

Probably need a little more info than this.. How much yeast did you use (a recipe would be good)? Was the yeast stored in the refrigerator? With that sort of yeast, you should at least get some sort of rise in a few hours. What was the room temp and fermentation time? Was the dough mixed and then straight into the pan?

Edit: getting a new strip of instant yeast packets would be a pretty cheap troubleshooting step, but you'll have to make more bread (Always make more bread) - and really, you could probably put a teaspoon of your questionable yeast in 1/4 cup warm water, a teaspoon of sugar or so, and see if it starts bubbling up.

I used the white bread recipe from Artisian Bread in 5 minutes a day or whatever that book is.

Something like:

1-1/2 tablespoon yeast
1-1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
1 stick melted butter

mix together then add in (I should have let this sit 5-10 minutes I bet I only waited 3-4)

7 cups flour

I had it going with the dough hook for maybe 5 minutes, sounds like I should have left it for about 10 (I was on the phone, threw the first batch out because I forgot the butter and I think I added 8 cups flour)

let sit for 2 hours in a bowl with a towel on top (seemed to rise fine here)

punch down form loaves let sit in the pan for 40 minutes

45 @ 350

The dough just never rose in the pans at all. You know how it's supposed to rise to the top of the pan, it barely got any bigger. I figured I just didn't put enough dough in the pan

I have 2/3rds of the dough left (this was supposed to be three 4x3x9 pans) so I'll probably just put 3/4 of what's left into a bigger pan that I have, and if it doesn't rise I'll just throw it in the dumpster with last nights disaster

I can't find the amish white bread recipe I used to use, it had milk in it.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Well, you can experiment on much smaller batches while you get things straightened out. Making bread isn't always going to follow the recipe exactly :)

Extra kneading may have helped with the initial gluten development (it'll do it on its own eventually), but aim for a consistency of dough rather than # of minutes in the mixer. The "window pane" method can be used to determine when to stop mixing - stretch a portion of the dough thin enough that you're able to see light through it without it tearing; if it starts tearing right away, keep mixing. This is also when you determine if you've got the right percentage of water to flour. "Tacky but not sticky" is usually used to describe how this sort of dough would feel. You probably don't have to worry about over-mixing, even in a mixer.

For the rise - pay attention to how much the dough has risen, not necessarily the time it will take ("room temperature" can vary, and yeast activity will follow, faster in warmer and slower in cooler). You want to shape the dough at the end of your first ferment, and that's when the dough has grown about twice the original size. With the amount of dough you had, you'd probably need a huge container if you rose it all in one ball, but for smaller batches use some sort of clear container where you can easily see "yup, that's twice as high in the container".

"Punching down" doesn't mean removing all the gas in the fermented dough, just shape it the way you want it and try not to lose too much gas.

From the way you described it, I think you may have let it sit too long before shaping, so there wasn't enough fermentation power left to proof. I've definitely done this myself :)

If possible, get a scale and weigh your ingredients, look into recipes that also give percentages of ingredient weight to total flour weight (so you can scale the recipe up or down).

Edit: After looking at your previous posts and I wrote too many :words: - maybe it was just the first ferment went too long..

dedian fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 19, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dedian posted:

Edit: After looking at your previous posts and I wrote too many :words: - maybe it was just the first ferment went too long..

It did seem long, 2 hours. Most of the ones I've done before are like 1 hour. The dough that's left in the fridge got HUGE overnight.

I'll give it another shot in a few days. I think I was just distracted by being on the phone when I was mixing everything up. I've made bread quite a few times with decent results but it's been a while since I moved and everything.

Flour is cheap and yeast is cheap so if it doesn't come out I'll just go back to the store, no excuses next time. I'll just have to make chili or corned beef and cabbage if I get some loaves that turn out the way they should.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

dedian posted:

It is still a good write up, as someone who is still getting to grips with bread-making posts like this are really helpful.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Anything I should know before I attempt a semolina no-knead?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Anything I should know before I attempt a semolina no-knead?

How much semolina? Your rise is going to be very affected. I don't believe you get any gluten formation from semolina but I could be wrong.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

therattle posted:

How much semolina? Your rise is going to be very affected. I don't believe you get any gluten formation from semolina but I could be wrong.

well i was gonna have it 50/50 with AP. Eh well i'll try it out and let you folks know how it goes

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Beyond sane knolls posted:

well i was gonna have it 50/50 with AP. Eh well i'll try it out and let you folks know how it goes

Semolina has plenty of gluten. It's a higher protein content which means it will require more water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NightConqueror posted:

Semolina has plenty of gluten. It's a higher protein content which means it will require more water.

I just read a blog which had something I don't understand: semolina has a higher protein content but lower gluten?