Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

the poi posted:

Pretty rad :) Minor pucker moment when going a little wide on the entrance to the front straight, hitting a puddle, and hydroplaning up the track a little...

Sunday was pretty dry, new personal best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGJRhCYwm-E

I think there's another second at least if I clear up the understeer in 5-6 and the hairpin. Stock rear swaybar, Eibach front, is making it push.

You need to work on your steering and throttle interactions a bit. The corner at :55 is a good example of it, you're rolling in before the apex and causing understeer, then not unwinding fully and using all the track. Post apex it's eating time because you're having to wait for the car to settle down before you can get into it fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

FatCow posted:

I like that while doing a buck 20 you decide that's a good time to fiddle with the button on the e-brake.

i like to push buttons!

Muffinpox posted:

You need to work on your steering and throttle interactions a bit. The corner at :55 is a good example of it, you're rolling in before the apex and causing understeer, then not unwinding fully and using all the track. Post apex it's eating time because you're having to wait for the car to settle down before you can get into it fully.

I watched that spot a few times and I see what you're saying. Cool tip!

The sound is all induction noise BTW, mic clipped to the air filter

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Haha I love playing with the ebrake button on the highway. Click click click

My RS3s showed up yesterday, 200tw which surprised me. Can't wait to test them out in may, it'll be the first time I'll have a square setup on the track.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 7, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Haha I love playing with the ebrake button on the highway. Click click click

I'm guilty of this too. There's not much to do in a miata on a long straight, and it's slow enough that straights can take a while. Of course, I should have two hands on the wheel, and I try not to, but clicky clicky clicky clicky.

I'm that rear end in a top hat who's always clicking a pen too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am doing my first track day in about 12 hours.

I have changed my oil/filter and have another batch of oil/filter to go in once i get home or soon after.

I have street performance brake pads - I am assuming if I go hard on them, I am more than likely going to have to replace them after?

these are the pads (HPX) http://qfm.com.au/page/6/Performance_Range

I realise the AR1Ms are probably better (i have used them before, too dusty for street/daily driving) but I dont exactly have the time to fit pads before I go tomorrow.

The circuit I am going to isnt a terribly fast one, but I am guessing that I should probably have 1-2 fast laps and then tone it down for a few to cool off?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I used the stock OEM street pads for my first HPDE on a moderately quick track and never felt fade and I'm still using those pads on the street a year later. You should be fine. Be mindful that your pads aren't super appropriate, and keep your sessions under a half hour, but I wouldn't let it affect your driving style unless it becomes a problem.

Get decent pads for your next track day, though.

E: You didn't ask for other advice, but I'm going to say this anyway. Bring fuckloads of water, or make sure the track provides water. I go through like a pint of water between each session, which adds up quick.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 9, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks.

This is the track, filmed in a similar car to mine (same model, unsure of power though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR1CHA2iPiM

the water is for the car i am assuming? I have tectaloy coolant in my cooling system at the moment, and have some spare, should I take that instead of water?

i think its around about 15min sessions by the videos, but not sure.

Also: I cant heel toe. yaay.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

No, the water is for you.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Managed to get some good running at bedford, although I spent two hours at the start of the session ripping off undertrays and fixing oil leaks because I hosed up and didnt manage to do the sightning lap. Then went onto the track and missed my braking point for the chicane on the backstraight.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Speed Ventures will have $75 skid pad practice, too pricey? Or invaluable limit of adhesion practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM&t=908s

I've been wanting to do something like this to go faster through turn 5/6 at Auto Club Speedway

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Speed Ventures will have $75 skid pad practice, too pricey? Or invaluable limit of adhesion practice?

Here in Canada, we get this for free between September and May.

$75 for a skidpad sounds like fun though, but it always depends on how many runs you get.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

I'd say so. I don't think this sort of thing normally enters peoples minds when they decide to start doing track days. Getting this intimately familiar with your cars handling this easily and safely is a perfect place to start. I'm actually ashamed I haven't done this yet.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM&t=908s

I've been wanting to do something like this to go faster through turn 5/6 at Auto Club Speedway

Yea, definitely do it. Car control is one of those things you can read about all the right moves but you wont do it correctly when it's needed unless you practice practice practice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, that's pretty cheap. I'm renting the skidpad at VIR and it was only $300 for 4 hours and $100 per 5000 gallons of water. Split it 5-6 ways, you wind up with a bunch of time on the skidpad for only $60 bucks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Trip Report:

First day was a success! it was a 7 car day, with 2 loose groups of 4 (beginners and 'been before'). sometimes I went out with the faster guys, sometimes their girlfriend went out with us. either way heaps of time for the relatively low cost.

-Miata/MX-5 with RE001s
-Turbo'd MX-5 on federal RS-Rs
-Turbo'd Suzuki Swift on Federal RS-Rs (Fast and mean sounding)
-Suzuki Swift on RS-Rs
-Peugot 305 GTI on Continental economy tires (which sounded like a monster)
-My 180sx on Kumho KU31s
-My dad in his Liberty GT (completely factory)

My car was probably the most powerful out of all of them (only car above 1.6L and turbo).

Instructor walked the track with us, gave us advice. registered and signed in and split into groups. we were the only people there so it was basically a free for all until some of the people going as passengers in v8 Supercars turned up.

had my friend in the Miata go passenger and show me some good tips while in the car, and how to apply what the instructor told us on the track walk.

After my first solo go, I installed CMS on my phone and started logging times. my first best time was 48.783, which by the fourth 10min session I had gotten to 45.885. first outing, I experienced quite a bit of brake fade and had to take a lazy lap to let them recuperate on my first few goes, however as the day went on, I started braking later, harder, and shorter which seemed to help this. Dropped some air from my tires to spare them a bit at the guidance of my friend (came off track at 48PSI, I filled them to 38 on the way there) so got them around 40PSI when hot and found it a little better? not sure if that is what is supposed to happen.

by the time my laps were hitting the 46 second mark my engine temp was starting to climb beyond the standard daily driving position, so a few good laps would leave me with a slow lap to cool down, which didnt take much more than just cruising down the straight, but I still let it breathe for half the lap just to make sure.

Very tight, technical track. not even hitting 110km/h at the end of the straight. Lots of fun though. Cant wait to go again.

I had my GoPro on in the car, and my last run (with the most spectacular off of the day) on the outside. hopefully that turned out alright because I didnt really put a lot of effort into mounting it for best viewing.

The only thing I regret is removing and selling my Bride Racing seat about 12 months ago. I mean, I had to to pay for some new tires and wheels to go with my brake upgrade, but I really could have used the bolstering today.

I think I am hooked.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 10, 2014

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Oh RaceRender is awesome. Crazy easy to put lap data on video. Now I can see how actually slow I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQxBSE4ogTk

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Laughing hysterically at how calm this guy is after just sticking their car into the side of a house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAjS5o9X3A

"Yeah, we're good!"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

Laughing hysterically at how calm this guy is after just sticking their car into the side of a house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAjS5o9X3A

"Yeah, we're good!"

A couple years ago on the Targa city stage, a Porsche driver shoved his car into a family's fence, destroying it. The family invited him for dinner that night.

They love the Targa out east. Too bad the city stage is gone this year.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A couple years ago on the Targa city stage, a Porsche driver shoved his car into a family's fence, destroying it. The family invited him for dinner that night.

They love the Targa out east. Too bad the city stage is gone this year.

Targa NL does a course in my town most years. Me and a few friends usually catch it and watch the other semi-local courses. We got to see an Enzo go swimming a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBBVIwc4KxU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SlimManFat posted:

Targa NL does a course in my town most years. Me and a few friends usually catch it and watch the other semi-local courses. We got to see an Enzo go swimming a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBBVIwc4KxU

Zahir is from my town. He doesn't drive a lot better here, but he has moved his dealership out of a bad ghetto into a slightly better one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

heres my video which finally decided to upload.

Its great to see how over the course of the 3 videos i start to get on the line more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNW6ZUU0wcM

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just got back from a private test day at Summit Point for the EVSR I posted earlier. Was a blast watching it hit the track for the first time and the testing was a great success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zch-1Y30Nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uICG3Yakg6g

The thing is eerily quiet like all electric vehicles. The drivers and team posted a bunch of information on their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=681741301864205&set=a.680583101980025.1073741830.680538678651134&type=1&stream_ref=10

My lovely lap from last year vs one random lap.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...authorName=EVSR

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2014

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I race Superkarts in Oz, and just achieved my first ever round win on the weekend. Pretty stoked! Puts me in the lead of our club championship too.

Here's the results from the event. Whoever posted the news article found my GoPro footage (I'm no pro video editor) on their own which is pretty cool.

The GPS unit for my data logger arrived yesterday so I'll try out that RaceRender software after the next round.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any recommendations for a cheap multilayer suit? I'm driving in a race at the end of the month at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OMP Sport 2-layer.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Phone posted:

OMP Sport 2-layer.

This. I have a G-Force 3.2A5 two-layer and its pretty nice and affordable, but the OMP is definitely nicer.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Avoid cheap pyrotechs. Geforce is decent at the entry level. Used gear can be a great deal if you get lucky and find your size

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

BraveUlysses posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap multilayer suit? I'm driving in a race at the end of the month at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP).

I'm pretty happy with my RaceQuip. I couldn't find one that fit so I had to get a custom suit from them for around $500 at a local shop. Took a few weeks to get and I picked all the colors.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
So I'm going to replace the fantastic stock struts and tanabe springs in my 05 sti and am looking for opinions.

It seems that rce t2s, kws, jrz rs1s are all about the same price, and all fairly known aside from the jrzs which I can only find BMW reviews, any one have a reccomendation out of the bunch, or something different?

Car will be on zii's till they cord then I'll prob buy sticky tires for both autox and hpde. I'm aware I may have to change spring rates if I go rcomps. Currently the car has Cobb bars, an alk, stiffer bushings out back and i,m looking to do the front next.

I do drive the car on the street, so race only stuff that can't take normal street use isn't an option, I will however swap them out for the newengland winter months

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

rotard posted:

So I'm going to replace the fantastic stock struts and tanabe springs in my 05 sti and am looking for opinions.

It seems that rce t2s, kws, jrz rs1s are all about the same price, and all fairly known aside from the jrzs which I can only find BMW reviews, any one have a reccomendation out of the bunch, or something different?

Car will be on zii's till they cord then I'll prob buy sticky tires for both autox and hpde. I'm aware I may have to change spring rates if I go rcomps. Currently the car has Cobb bars, an alk, stiffer bushings out back and i,m looking to do the front next.

I do drive the car on the street, so race only stuff that can't take normal street use isn't an option, I will however swap them out for the newengland winter months

Stay away from JRZs--my brother had some on his Cayman, and I was pretty disappointed by their engineering. There's no way to hold the shaft while tightening the nut, for example. Why in the world not? It's just weird. His front struts lasted two months before they starting leaking oil.

On the other hand, I've had KW V3s on my S2000 for like 2 years, and they're amazing and I haven't had any issues with them ever. They're designed competently.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've been thinking about KWs for a while - how are they for street use?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
RCEs are KWs, though they may have slightly different valving and spring rates.
I have RCEs (and have for 70k mi, with one recent free rebuild) and I'm quite happy. One good thing about new KW/RCEs is they come with free rebuilds for the orginal buyer.

Also, you don't really need to remove them in the winter. KWs, excepting the 1s, are stainless. Grease the poo poo out of the moving parts before winter and go to town. I even did ice racing on mine.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
/\/\agreed, the V3s are fantastic for street use. I'm surprised with how well they work just daily driving and track driving. The stainless steel is also pretty amazing--they're just very well built.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
RCE T2 is a much better version of the KW. Better spring rates plus I think they use something closer to the clubsport valving.

I also really like jrz stuff and have always had good experience. However, I think the compression adjustment you don't get with the rs1 is pretty important for a track car. The rs pro is where I suggest starting with jrz parts and those are a lot more expensive.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So it turns out there's a public track day at a facility about an hour away... tomorrow. For $15 you get 10 minutes on the track, which is should be about 4 laps if you do everything correctly.

Here's some guy driving an NB 1.8 Miata on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUQtguhTiP0&t=49s.

Track days weren't really on my mind so I discovered this on accident just now. I think I'd want to do it but my car is definitely not ready - tires are old and poo poo, there's maybe 1mm left on the brake pads and I haven't changed the oil after the winter season yet. I also don't have a helmet (required) or a roll bar (not required but I'm chicken otherwise).

Was planning on going anyway to watch and maybe have a go at their skid pad, but it's going to be raining the whole day so everything is going to be miserable and probably not worth the time and effort. However thanks to the OP I think I'll try to prepare for the next opportunity and have a go.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Getting down to the button up list with just over a week to go.

So far there's 10 in-class cars signed up for the first event :frogbon:

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
First lapping days of the season for me are next weekend. I am getting antsy in my pantsy. The car is sorted about as well as it could be. Maybe I will go flush the coolant with water again...

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I did a HPDE this past weekend at Cresson MSR in Texas. Had a great time, and got some decent GoPro video. This was my third track weekend, so I still have a long way to go. Making progress though. Feel free to tell me how terrible of a driver I am.

http://youtu.be/qtqzkMEvKrE

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

No more helmet rentals for me :getin: Got a balaclava too, since I'll need that for ChumpCar. First track day is at the end of May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody doing the DDT at Mosport May 3-4?