Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If I were to guess, I'd say a combination of a rusted frame and overloading. Then you hit a pothole and it's the straw that literally broke the trailer's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

some texas redneck posted:

Some poo poo definitely impacted some cotton.

What the gently caress happened there :stare:

e: the logo kind of fits. :haw:

Yeah I didn't word that well, what I meant to say was there were no other vehicles involved. My wife said the exact same thing about the logo!

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

Saw this on the side of the highway this morning. It didn't appear as though there was an impact of any kind.

It was still there this morning; it's amazing how long Maryland State Police will allow things to sit by that weigh station sometimes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If TV has taught me anything it's that it happens because all the cops are too busy being tactically deployed to bust dudes in the street for possession of two vials of coke.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

lazer_chicken posted:

Saw this on the side of the highway this morning. It didn't appear as though there was an impact of any kind.

I think I know what happened here

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
CGI? Weaksauce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeukbfVOG0

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bondematt posted:

I think I know what happened here

What the hell is that, tornado simulator 2005?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Euro Truck Simulator 2, click the quote for the thread.

:catstare:

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Drove in with a misfire...

Also has 12 bent valves, flattened injector tip and 3 cracked liners. Bits of melted piston everywhere in the inlet and exhaust manifolds.

This is a 12 litre truck engine, the first one I have seen with this sort of damage. The worst they ever get is a dropped valve, but when you drive it with no coolant, who knows.

warcake fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 8, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

warcake posted:

Drove in with a misfire...
Also has 12 bent valves, flattened injector tip and 3 cracked liners. Bits of melted piston everywhere in the inlet and exhaust manifolds.

I wouldn't call this a mechanical failure..

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My truck only gives me 30 seconds to get off the road when the coolant is LOW, nevermind out of coolant.

What kind of engine is that?

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Powershift posted:

My truck only gives me 30 seconds to get off the road when the coolant is LOW, nevermind out of coolant.

What kind of engine is that?

It's just speculation, the job card just said "engine misfire" and thats all the info I got.

It's a 12 litre 6 cylinder volvo truck engine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
That explains how it still ran.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

atomicthumbs posted:

That explains how it still ran.

What is it about I6s that makes them nigh-impossible to kill even when you're trying?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

What is it about I6s that makes them nigh-impossible to kill even when you're trying?

I want to say it's a matter of notable I6s being overbuilt (iron duke, slant-6) rather than something specific to the I6 layout. I'm sure being inherently balanced doesn't hurt though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Delivery McGee posted:

It's the highly balanced layout of I6 engines combined with the fact that most I6 engines have seven main crank bearings. There's not much vibration to start with, so when poo poo starts to go south, it's got further to go before it shakes apart. I think the block has to deal with less internal torque, too, but I'm not an engineer.

Edit: notable engines, such as the Jeep 4.0, are over built because that allowed the manufacturer to use the same front suspension as heavier V8 options.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 9, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EightBit posted:

Edit: notable engines, such as the Jeep 4.0, are over built because that allowed the manufacturer to use the same front suspension as heavier V8 options.
Got a source on this? It sounds like you're saying they overbuilt it because they could make it heavier, and knowing most car manufacturers, that just doesn't sound right. Hell, most of them would give them an iron oilpan to make them heavier first.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

Nope, V8 ZJ front coils will give you a bit of lift over regular ZJ front coils, for instance.

I6s are durable for a number of reasons... as you said, 7 main bearings, one rod per crank throw helps (wider bearings without any tradeoffs like thinner crank throw arms = more durability), and a lot of em are cast iron with cast iron heads, so there aren't any goofy thermal expansion issues making the head gaskets get scrubbed to poo poo.

The one real weak point of the 4.0 for example is the cam, overspeed one past a certain point and the cam goes through a resonant point, i.e. it flops around like a fish out of water until you either go above the RPM it resonates at, drop below it again, or it breaks.

I kinda wish they put more cam bearings on them... as I recall, there are 4-5, one at each end and either two or three spaced out between the cam lobes. A cam bearing between each lobe or between each cylinder would go a long way toward reducing cam harmonics issues.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ah, cast iron. Before Chrysler decided to go with injection-molded intake manifolds

Ask me about how they did that. (PS It involved using a loving lot of tin-bismuth)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How many pages abck was the glowing AC clutch? On my phone and it's arguing with me about loading all images per page.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

13 INCH DICK posted:

How many pages abck was the glowing AC clutch? On my phone and it's arguing with me about loading all images per page.

5 pages back
Direct link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=371&perpage=40#post426110420

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

It's ok. I didn't want that tire rotation to take less than 10mins anyway. :smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Somebody left a window open in the 4th floor laundry room of one of the dorms on campus. The steam-fed radiators that heat the building are all located directly under the windows, and temps dropped into the single digits, causing this:

Which flooded that room, the hallway, a students room, and leaked down to third (almost taking out the routers and switches for that building), did about the same amount of flooding there, and leaked down to second where it was mercifully just some puddles and ruined ceiling tiles.

That gash is about 3/4" long and maybe 1/8" wide an did all that loving damage in maybe 10 minutes time.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 9, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Boat posted:

I want to say it's a matter of notable I6s being overbuilt (iron duke, slant-6) rather than something specific to the I6 layout. I'm sure being inherently balanced doesn't hurt though.

Take a look at the Toyota 1FZFE if you want to see something overbuilt. I guess the dudes over in Dubai get >1000whp out of them on the stock bottom end and poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The 1MZ-FE is also pretty overbuilt, isn't it?

... as long as you put baffles in the pans, anyway.

(not an I6 though)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackMK4 posted:

Take a look at the Toyota 1FZFE if you want to see something overbuilt. I guess the dudes over in Dubai get >1000whp out of them on the stock bottom end and poo poo.

I thought the big inline six out of the Nissan Patrol was the preferred engine for that type of thing

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dissss posted:

I thought the big inline six out of the Nissan Patrol was the preferred engine for that type of thing

I know they do that with the Nissan too... and sometimes stick the 1FZ in the Patrol for whatever reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0Zf64NVso

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 9, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Sand drag racing sounds like a mighty good time. And hell, if you're in the UAE what else are you gonna do to have a good time?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Sand drag racing sounds like a mighty good time. And hell, if you're in the UAE what else are you gonna do to have a good time?

Roll around in gigantic piles of money and mistreat foreign workers?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Sand drag racing looks awesome. I'd love to show up at Glamis with one of those crazy things.

I think I'd be just as happy holding it on the two step and watching the fire/listening to all the popping. It would probably do well to shut my neighbors up at 3am.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Bearings decided they wanted to gently caress off

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is that, and what did it sound like?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Spotted in a Kroger parking lot today.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002

Crotch Fruit posted:

Everyone who I have asked about owning luxury cars has said "They are expensive to buy and even more expensive to maintain!"

Another one I heard was "There is nothing more expensive than an inexpensive luxury car". I agree 100% with this statement. As the owner of a 1996 Cadillac DeVille Concourse (300hp Northstar! AMERICA!) Any Kansas goons want this bastard??? It's got every sensor out, flat rear end tires, but it has some swank rear end dead cow interior! I could make a thread of my personal automotive failures. Reverse is out at the moment on my 2000 Bravada, among many many other things.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Frinkahedron posted:

On that same note I wish I took a picture of it, but I saw a fairly new Mazda 3 that was rusting out to an extreme level. The third brake light in the trunk lid was heavily rusted and perforating, and both rear wheel fender lips were jagged from rust. It was like someone dipped the back of the car in acid. How the gently caress does a car that has only been existing for a few years show more rust than many cars built in the late 80's or 90's in such a short timespan?

Is stuff like galvanized steel not common on asian imports?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frinkahedron posted:

gently caress Chevy for that car. Wife had a 98 Cavalier when we hooked up and by 2005 the exhaust system was swiss cheese. Around 2007 the body panels were well on their way to joining the underbody. In 2008 it went to the junkyard due to an inability to pass emissions (or more specifically we decided the money needed to get it past emissions was better spent on a down payment for a car that wasn't a festering pile of poo poo).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

crutt posted:

Bearings decided they wanted to gently caress off

If you take the remainder of the cage off the bearings and keep that poo poo going a few thousand rpm it will space the bearings out by itself and get your rear end home, ask me how I know :v:

Got me 20 miles home like that, I just had to keep the engine over 3k RPM or the bearings wouldn't space out evenly enough to keep it from flopping around and almost throwing the belt.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dietcokefiend posted:

On that same note I wish I took a picture of it, but I saw a fairly new Mazda 3 that was rusting out to an extreme level. The third brake light in the trunk lid was heavily rusted and perforating, and both rear wheel fender lips were jagged from rust. It was like someone dipped the back of the car in acid. How the gently caress does a car that has only been existing for a few years show more rust than many cars built in the late 80's or 90's in such a short timespan?

Is stuff like galvanized steel not common on asian imports?

Mazdas in particular seem to be rust magnets, even newer ones. I don't think they give even half a poo poo about rustproofing.

It's all about galvanization and zinc primer. Due to typical French build quality on my 13 year old Peugeot, there's a bit on one of the rear doors where the front door has rubbed through to the metal. I have no idea how long it's been like that, the front door was corrected when I bought the car ~18 months ago. There's no rust there, not even with the bare metal exposed to the elements for who knows how long.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Frinkahedron posted:

Yeah that's pretty average for the northeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

dietcokefiend posted:

On that same note I wish I took a picture of it, but I saw a fairly new Mazda 3 that was rusting out to an extreme level. The third brake light in the trunk lid was heavily rusted and perforating, and both rear wheel fender lips were jagged from rust. It was like someone dipped the back of the car in acid.

I posted this in the terrible car stuff thread a few months ago

and to this day I haven't seen a car this new with rust that bad.

e: removed plate #

Ulfhednar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 9, 2014