Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Namtab posted:

That bitch line is now canon.
I want a Bitch-Insult patch for each game. Let them all ripe with the stench of bitches. :allears:

Tengames posted:

There's always Spacedrake and Robin,
I am fine with them handling this IP, but I am guessing Zun would go for some translation group from the Japan side unless he have some friends here that he can trust.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Tengames posted:

There's always spacedrake and Robin, the two goons that translated recettear and a few other games on steam. Checking thier forums it seems they've been busy with some massive game translation the past year or so however (not that touhou would be a very text heavy distraction).

I don't have a source, but IIRC one of them said something along the lines of not wanting to deal with the potential legalities of Touhou in the west because of how western IP laws differ from Japan's IP laws.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Casull posted:

I don't have a source, but IIRC one of them said something along the lines of not wanting to deal with the potential legalities of Touhou in the west because of how western IP laws differ from Japan's IP laws.

Well, obviously ZUN changed his mind, since he just made this announcement. I have also heard this same reasoning though, from various people working for different companies who tried to contact ZUN about the license.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Tengames posted:

There's always spacedrake and Robin, the two goons that translated recettear and a few other games on steam. Checking thier forums it seems they've been busy with some massive game translation the past year or so however (not that touhou would be a very text heavy distraction).

FYI the massive game they're doing is Tales in the Sky, which is easily amongst the wordiest jRPGs in existence.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nyaa posted:

I want a Bitch-Insult patch for each game. Let them all ripe with the stench of bitches. :allears:

I'm taking it one step beyond. Reimu is gonna start dropping the c-bomb on the final bosses.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks to Daylight Savings Time, the STG Weekly episode on Great Fairy Wars will be starting in an hour here.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

FYI the massive game they're doing is Tales in the Sky, which is easily amongst the wordiest jRPGs in existence.

Are you sure about that? Doesn't that already have a localization by Xseed?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Justus posted:

Are you sure about that? Doesn't that already have a localization by Xseed?

They're working on Second Chapter. Trails in the Sky is a trilogy.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Excited to hear that Touhou is getting a western release.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Excited to hear that Touhou is getting a western release.

I hope for a 4kidz style translation so we get to roll 'round with Rachel and Marissa "purifying" shapeshifting monsters in ancient New York :haw:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The actual difficulty in the translations is making it work, though. Touhou isn't known for all of it's text and dialog, as said, but the way ZUN and company codes it at times is drat near draconian. Remember the horror story of IN that changing a line of dialog caused a fairy to spawn off screen and make the stage unwinnable?

I know the fighters have it all hidden away, too. It probably would get better now, but earlier games are a headache.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gamerofthegame posted:

The actual difficulty in the translations is making it work, though. Touhou isn't known for all of it's text and dialog, as said, but the way ZUN and company codes it at times is drat near draconian. Remember the horror story of IN that changing a line of dialog caused a fairy to spawn off screen and make the stage unwinnable?

I know the fighters have it all hidden away, too. It probably would get better now, but earlier games are a headache.

What kind of coding is this?? :psyduck:

Why wouldn't you include game engine stuff in one part and keep text and art assets in another?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Last I heard, Hopeless Masquerade's coding was so complex and stupid that no existing translation team said they were going to bother. Although somebody apparently lied because I think it has a translation patch these days.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

By the way, are any of you aware of some interview where ZUN states that the biggest problem with digitally distributing the Touhou titles is that, quote, "A fundamental problem is that I no longer have any of the data from the older games and it would be a challenge to create new ones."

Is he referring to pc-98 titles or maybe even 6-9?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'd totally dig a remake of touhous 1-9

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

How do you not have data from the older games, if you can download them and they're still around everywhere? Maybe I just don't understand what he means/coding enough.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Source code isn't the same as a compiled and executable program.

The same thing happened to Square when Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon came out for PS1. They wanted to localize it but the Japanese side actually lost the source code.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

How do you not have data from the older games, if you can download them and they're still around everywhere? Maybe I just don't understand what he means/coding enough.

He presumably means he no longer has the source code for the games, which would allow him to actually edit them properly instead of hacking changes in. The interview in question is at http://otakumode.com/news/52ae477434d3d66a7900008f/Interview-with-Touhou-Project-Founder-and-Creator-ZUN-Part-3, and he isn't specific about which games constitute the early ones.

The Hopeless Masquerade patch wasn't done by an existing group, some people on Maidens of the Kaleidoscope had a go at it in response to the fact that existing groups had declared they weren't interested. It also seems like it's still a work in progress, nothing that the people working on it are happy with calling a final release yet.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Volt Catfish posted:

quote, "A fundamental problem is that I no longer have any of the data from the older games and it would be a challenge to create new ones."
That explain why he only releasing "the newer Touhou games". :(

DrSunshine posted:

What kind of coding is this?? :psyduck:

Why wouldn't you include game engine stuff in one part and keep text and art assets in another?
I guess he ties the appearance of enemies by the dialog timing just so it matches the timing of the music and also achieving desired danmaku patterns/placement.

I think it's the kind of easier scene-by-scene coding design that the creator believes he won't need to go back to it after completion.

Not that I had read the code myself, so I could be wrong.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 10, 2014

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Volt Catfish posted:

I hope for a 4kidz style translation so we get to roll 'round with Rachel and Marissa "purifying" shapeshifting monsters in ancient New York :haw:

Oh lord I would play this. Everything becomes a shopping trip to the mall~

Yeah uhh Suzy (Suika) is drinking infinite amounts of err ORANGE juice yeah that's it. >.>

Also Yuugi's forehead is permanently censored

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aliginge posted:

Oh lord I would play this. Everything becomes a shopping trip to the mall~

Yeah uhh Suzy (Suika) is drinking infinite amounts of err ORANGE juice yeah that's it. >.>

Is it bad that the worst part about that to me is that they wasted their chance to call Kosuzu "Suzy"?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As creator of the "Gensokyo USA" series, I am entirely fine with this. :geno:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aliginge posted:

Nah, just the star on it. That one show is popular in America, right? That means she's part unicorn!

On the other hand, can't have honest blue-blooded Americans thinking she's some kinda russkie commie. :bahgawd:

That bowl has water in it, though. She does a lot of running so she has to keep hydrated.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yuugi's name is kept intact, except it's spelled "Yugi."

Mystia runs a hotdog stand, and even though her old name is already Western they change it to Lydia.

Also Patchouli and Alice are now Marisa's "cousins".

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Aliginge posted:

And Futo's hat.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Would the plots also change? Would SA now be about mean ol' Utsuho Uma (what good female names starting with a 'u' sound american enough? Ursula is sort of taken) stealing the power of Sunlight because there isn't any sunlight underground and it makes her very sad? And our dear heroines Rachel and Marissa have to go and teach her than it's not fair to take sunlight away from the surface, and that if she wants to she can come hang out with them above ground in Rachel's new pool.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Say what you will about Westernised Touhou, the Incident of the Week format suits Saturday morning kids TV perfectly.

Also instead of a party where everyone gets shitfaced, every episode and I mean EVERY episode ends with a shopping trip goddamit. Maybe this is turning a bit totally spies idk what.

e: Flan being locked up for however many hundred years becomes being grounded for the weekend.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 10, 2014

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

A Meat posted:

Would the plots also change? Would SA now be about mean ol' Utsuho Uma (what good female names starting with a 'u' sound american enough? Ursula is sort of taken) stealing the power of Sunlight because there isn't any sunlight underground and it makes her very sad? And our dear heroines Rachel and Marissa have to go and teach her than it's not fair to take sunlight away from the surface, and that if she wants to she can come hang out with them above ground in Rachel's new pool.

EoSD is about a little vampire girl who only wanted to go out and play, it turns out she's a vegetarian vampire and only drinks tomato juice so it's okay for her to run around outside!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I would watch the poo poo out of all of these ideas. :allears:

Someone get 4kids on it.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
DREAMIN'

DON'T GIVE IT UP MERRY

DREAMIN'

DON'T GIVE IT UP RENKO

DREAMIN'

DON'T GIVE IT-GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Fighting Falken posted:

EoSD is about a little vampire girl who only wanted to go out and play, it turns out she's a vegetarian vampire and only drinks tomato juice so it's okay for her to run around outside!

Touhou crosses over with Count Duckula* and becomes the greatest thing ever. :suicide:

*Warning, British 80s at it's finest.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

PCB could just be left as it is provided you ignore the fact that the tree is evil. Yuyuko just wants the ghosts in the next dimension to enjoy pretty flowers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Namtab posted:

PCB could just be left as it is provided you ignore the fact that the tree is evil. Yuyuko just wants the ghosts in the next dimension to enjoy pretty flowers.

Pretty sure you'd have to change her backstory completely. Also take out the implication that she killed a bunch of random people so she could have more guests at her party.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
If this localization thing happens and there's an official English translation, I wonder if there will be support for those that own the actual physical discs.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

SirSlarty posted:

If this localization thing happens and there's an official English translation, I wonder if there will be support for those that own the actual physical discs.

I'm not sure how. The physical discs don't have anything like a key or a serial number attached to them. On Steam at least, they usually support physical disc owners by accepting product keys.

Not that I don't understand the frustration if you've paid several hundred dollars for all the boxes over the years being asked to pay more. But on the bright side, I'm willing to bet the digital downloads won't cost a ton.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One of the motivations for this is likely that ZUN felt his overseas fans were getting ripped off. He's consistently told people who said they imported his works that they shouldn't have paid that much, and he can't imagine anyone paying that much for his stuff.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Pretty sure you'd have to change her backstory completely. Also take out the implication that she killed a bunch of random people so she could have more guests at her party.

Not as if you ever see the backstory in the game itself iirc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Namtab posted:

Not as if you ever see the backstory in the game itself iirc.

So they aren't translating the manuals? That's half the fun.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

My favourite bit of manual-only info was PCB mentioning that youkai hunting teams go to the outside world to kidnap people under the guise of traffic accidents and snatch runaways for food. I'm kinda disappointed ZUN never did more with that idea, it came up once again in Wild and Horned Hermit and that was it.

My secret hope is that in the story for the next music cd Maribel and Renko will travel all over Japan, looking for Izanagi Objects and hunting youkai Supernatural style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

a cartoon duck posted:

My favourite bit of manual-only info was PCB mentioning that youkai hunting teams go to the outside world to kidnap people under the guise of traffic accidents and snatch runaways for food. I'm kinda disappointed ZUN never did more with that idea, it came up once again in Wild and Horned Hermit and that was it.

My secret hope is that in the story for the next music cd Maribel and Renko will travel all over Japan, looking for Izanagi Objects and hunting youkai Supernatural style.

Holy poo poo that would be fantastic :allears:

I'm drawing a blank about who could be Crowley and Castiel counterparts though :v: