Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Declan MacManus posted:

For once someone other than regulargonzalez is going to recommend Sleater-Kinney! I'd also recommend Big Eyes, Titus Andronicus, Built to Spill, and Dinosaur Jr.

E: also Hüsker Dü

I already listen to Sleater-Kinney and Dinosaur Jr. so I'll check out the other bands.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupor Mundi
Jan 10, 2008
Filil Hobenstaufenin osculamini asinum meum.
I've been listening to Vampire Weekend all week and I absolutely love them. Their self-titled is my favorite, followed by Contra and then Modern Vampires of the City. Can anyone recommend similar bands or bands that I might enjoy? Their music is just so fun.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Stupor Mundi posted:

I've been listening to Vampire Weekend all week and I absolutely love them. Their self-titled is my favorite, followed by Contra and then Modern Vampires of the City. Can anyone recommend similar bands or bands that I might enjoy? Their music is just so fun.

Talking Heads, Fela Kuti, early Peter Gabriel, Brenda Fassie, The Specials, and Architecture in Helsinki.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Stupor Mundi posted:

Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints by Paul Simon would both probably fall into this category, to the extent that all I remember about Vampire Weekend's first album is that everybody was comparing them to this. If you haven't listened to either album, I'd think that's a great starting point.

e: The guy above me recommended The Talking Heads, but David Byrne also put out an album of Latin-inspired music (Rei Momo) that might be up your alley as well.

Declan MacManus posted:

For once someone other than regulargonzalez is going to recommend Sleater-Kinney! I'd also recommend Big Eyes, Titus Andronicus, Built to Spill, and Dinosaur Jr.

E: also Hüsker Dü

With these recommendations, I'd tack on The Replacements and The Gaslight Anthem.

e2: If you look them up on Spotify, they both do some slower songs as well. I'm not sure why Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts is the top song for Gaslight, but the second and third songs ("45" and "The '59 Sound") should be the closest thing to what you're probably looking for.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 17, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Last year I picked up on a viking rock band from the Faroe Islands called TÝR and have been in love ever since. They're a no nonsense heavy rock group that after their first two albums I think came into their own. They have some slower songs mixed in with their regular repertoire and it come together for an awesome listen. Some of their songs in are in their native Danish but most are English. I'll link the lyric translations too.

Here's the songs I recommend, starting from their third album.

Eric the Red: 'Regin Smidur' (Regin Blacksmith)|Lyrics
Eric the Red: 'Ólavur Riddararós' (Olaf Knightrose)|Lyrics
Eric the Red: Rainbow Warrior
Eric the Red: 'Ramund hin Unge' (The Young Raymond)|Lyrics

Ragnarok: The Hammer of Thor
Ragnarok: Ragnarok|Lyrics

Land: 'Sinklars Vísa' (The Ballad of Sinclair)|Lyrics

By The Light of the Northern Star: Turið Torkilsdóttir|Lyrics
By The Light of the Northern Star: By The Light of the Northern Star

The Lay of Thrym: Evening Star
The Lay of Thrym: 'Konning Hans' (King Hans)|Lyrics

Valkyrja: Blood of Heroes
Valkyrja: Into the Sky
Valkyrja: Valkyrja

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

No help on this? :(

Alongside the bands already recommended, check out Savages and Wild Flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7uHhCo4qw

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lunethex posted:

Last year I picked up on a viking rock band from the Faroe Islands called TÝR and have been in love ever since. They're a no nonsense heavy rock group that after their first two albums I think came into their own. They have some slower songs mixed in with their regular repertoire and it come together for an awesome listen. Some of their songs in are in their native Danish but most are English. I'll link the lyric translations too.

Here's the songs I recommend, starting from their third album.

Eric the Red: 'Regin Smidur' (Regin Blacksmith)|Lyrics
Eric the Red: 'Ólavur Riddararós' (Olaf Knightrose)|Lyrics
Eric the Red: Rainbow Warrior
Eric the Red: 'Ramund hin Unge' (The Young Raymond)|Lyrics

Ragnarok: The Hammer of Thor
Ragnarok: Ragnarok|Lyrics

Land: 'Sinklars Vísa' (The Ballad of Sinclair)|Lyrics

By The Light of the Northern Star: Turið Torkilsdóttir|Lyrics
By The Light of the Northern Star: By The Light of the Northern Star

The Lay of Thrym: Evening Star
The Lay of Thrym: 'Konning Hans' (King Hans)|Lyrics

Valkyrja: Blood of Heroes
Valkyrja: Into the Sky
Valkyrja: Valkyrja

Not the point of this topic.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also, the language is not Danish, but Faroese, as in the native language of the Faroese Islands where the band is from. :eng101:

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
I've been trying to find good music to listen to while I'm working. I'm trying to find poo poo along these lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENISCG2a15g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Q0brvCJ4Y

but I'm not looking for techno or dance music or poo poo like that, I just want monotonous music to put on that's just engaging enough to keep my mind occupied but not distracting. Long tracks or instrumentals is a plus and I've tried pure noise type stuff but it's not what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Sartana fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 18, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Sartana posted:

I've been trying to find good music to listen to while I'm working. I'm trying to find poo poo along these lines:

I find that pure ambient is good for this purpose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3MBMim36E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrgSP0-hOHY

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I like to listen to kraftwerk for this exact purpose. While it does have vocals, I don't understand German so that doesn't take my focus away. Autobahn is my go to

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
a few pages back someone was asking about songs with narration/spoken word and mentioned GYBE. i was watching live streams of the Kiev riots and listening to GYBE last night and, aside from it being eerily appropriate, i am across this, which i thought might scratch that poster's itch.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

funkybottoms posted:

a few pages back someone was asking about songs with narration/spoken word and mentioned GYBE. i was watching live streams of the Kiev riots and listening to GYBE last night and, aside from it being eerily appropriate, i am across this, which i thought might scratch that poster's itch.

Haha that was me and this is horrible and great at the same time. Thanks (I think).

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I posted this in the ambient thread but I'll put it here too since I imagine this would get more traffic and also maybe even different suggestions I would still enjoy:

I really like Gas a lot. I have the 2008 Kompakt box set Voigt put out of the four albums, slightly remastered and edited. All of it -- and especially Pop, which I heard first in its standalone Mille Plateaux CD release before knowing anything else about Gas -- is ever so slightly unnerving! I can't get enough looped ambient drones, and how lo-fi it sounds at the same time. It's interesting too how, unlike say Eno's Ambient series of albums or albums by Carbon Based Lifeforms, Gas's music doesn't ever eventually build up and resolve. It just sort of... moves on and completes without much expectation. I actually find it interesting to actively listen to as well as to get lost within (and fall asleep to, as creepy as it is to wake up to it as well).

Basically, I'm wondering what else I should check out considering how much I like Gas. Thanks, ambient friends!

Foodship9
Oct 22, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd recommend Rick Wakeman's solo stuff along with an obscure Russian album called Metamorphoses - Electronic Interpretations of Classical and Modern Musical Works. If that doesn't quite scratch your itch, this site seems like it might be a good resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbSADE9MTE
I wasn't sure when I first started up Metamorphoses, but by the five minute mark I knew this was what I was looking for. By the looks of the soundcloud page, classitronic is the accepted name for this genre (I was searching with the wrong portmanteau :negative:).

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Foodship9 posted:

I wasn't sure when I first started up Metamorphoses, but by the five minute mark I knew this was what I was looking for. By the looks of the soundcloud page, classitronic is the accepted name for this genre (I was searching with the wrong portmanteau :negative:).

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!

No problem. My grandpa was way into this stuff (he smoked a lot of pot) so he had a copy of Metamorphoses along with Zappa's Jazz From Hell and a ton of Wendy Carlos. I actually didn't know what to call it until I started looking it up.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I'm looking for a really good prog album. I love Jethro Tull's Aqualung through Heavy Horses albums, so bands with a similar style would be appreciated. Pandora always gives me Led Zeppelin and The Who as similar artists for some reason.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 22, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm looking for a really good prog album. I love Jethro Tull's Aqualung through Heavy Horses albums, so bands with a similar style would be appreciated. Pandora always gives me Led Zeppelin and The Who as similar artists for some reason.

Argus by Wishbone Ash, Nursery Cryme by Genesis, Salisbury by Uriah Heep, and Godbluff by Van Der Graaf Generator.

For jazzier stuff, look into Soft Machine (particularly the Ayers stuff) and Camel.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Sartana posted:

but I'm not looking for techno or dance music or poo poo like that, I just want monotonous music to put on that's just engaging enough to keep my mind occupied but not distracting. Long tracks or instrumentals is a plus and I've tried pure noise type stuff but it's not what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in a good direction?

Maybe try Tunnel Blanket by This Will Destroy You? It's noisy but ambient and is mostly long songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xSwiO0qIic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CondYUfSk9o

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MegaZeroX posted:

If you don't mind crazy moon language (Finnish), The eponymous debut album of Sammal is some good, chill, oldtimey prog-rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqtyDA0NkpI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2LPKc5tIpk

The definition of "prog" is a bit fuzzy to me though, so I dunno if that's at all what you're after, but give it a try.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nordick posted:

If you don't mind crazy moon language (Finnish), The eponymous debut album of Sammal is some good, chill, oldtimey prog-rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqtyDA0NkpI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2LPKc5tIpk

The definition of "prog" is a bit fuzzy to me though, so I dunno if that's at all what you're after, but give it a try.

Declan MacManus posted:

Argus by Wishbone Ash, Nursery Cryme by Genesis, Salisbury by Uriah Heep, and Godbluff by Van Der Graaf Generator.

For jazzier stuff, look into Soft Machine (particularly the Ayers stuff) and Camel.

OK, thank you both! I'm listening to Argus right now, and it is great.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hey, so now that Turntable.fm has shut down, does anybody know of any other social music sites where you can listen to music with other people? Admittedly, I was one of the many users that stopped using it, which caused it to shut down in the first place. But I was in the mood to let some other people DJ my music tonight and was sad to find out it had shut down. Anything similar out there?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TrixRabbi posted:

Hey, so now that Turntable.fm has shut down, does anybody know of any other social music sites where you can listen to music with other people? Admittedly, I was one of the many users that stopped using it, which caused it to shut down in the first place. But I was in the mood to let some other people DJ my music tonight and was sad to find out it had shut down. Anything similar out there?
http://plug.dj/ sprung up a couple months ago, was at least obviously inspired by turntable.fm, though instead of maintaining a local set of music, they just let you queue up youtubes, so not quite the same thing.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

het posted:

http://plug.dj/ sprung up a couple months ago, was at least obviously inspired by turntable.fm, though instead of maintaining a local set of music, they just let you queue up youtubes, so not quite the same thing.

Thanks, this was perfect.

golevka
Feb 24, 2014

Even bad coffee is better than no coffee at all.
Lately I've been looking for some noisy stuff like Metz or Crocodiles.

I really like Sleep Forever by Crocodiles because it has a bit of a post-punk sound to it as well. Anything in the same vein is welcomed.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I'm looking for death metal bands similar to Vital Remains. Specifically I like their long songs with a combination of traditional death riffs with really dramatic/sinister, ostentatiously melodic repeated figures, like Icons of Evil. I like their vocals.

Also, on the off chance anyone who likes brutal death metal is passing by, I'd be really interested in hearing some slamming guttural poo poo with occasional use of those sorts of melodic patterns.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I was listening to I'm Not Leaving by the Crystal Method today, its a great song but what really caught me was the guitar part that starts at about 16 seconds til 50 seconds ish, played by (I think) Joe Messina of the Funk Brothers. I absolutely love the tone and could listen to it all day, but I don't really know what it is, what genre, or who plays that sort of guitar style, so I can't find any more. If anyone can offer up suggestions of songs that have that similar guitar tone/reverb (with lyrics or without, I don't care) I'd be eternally grateful.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The classical show on the radio played a set of Icelandic/Scandinavian classical/baroque music the other week. There were many composers whose names I missed due to static, but the music was very cool. It started out with this sort of droning cello/violin pieces, where the strings would weave in and out of sync with each other and sometimes creak and scratch in mild dissonance and odd harmony. The rest was sort of medieval sounding, with lutes and stuff and wouldn't have sounded too out of place during a feast scene in Game of Thrones or similar. All instrumental, as far as I can remember.

Any pointers on some composers, etc would be appreciated.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 4, 2014

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

big business sloth posted:

The classical show on the radio played a set of Icelandic/Scandinavian classical/baroque music the other week. There were many composers whose names I missed due to static, but the music was very cool. It started out with this sort of droning cello/violin pieces, where the strings would weave in and out of sync with each other and sometimes creak and scratch in mild dissonance and odd harmony. The rest was sort of medieval sounding, with lutes and stuff and wouldn't have sounded too out of place during a feast scene in Game of Thrones or similar. All instrumental, as far as I can remember.

Any pointers on some composers, etc would be appreciated.

Well, you haven't given us much to go on; but I'll take a stab at it. I recommend Claude Debussey's La Mer. That's my favorite piece of his and I quite enjoy listening to it from time to time.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant if anyone could point me in the direction of some of the Scandinavian composers I might have heard, or Scandinavian classical music in general.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I know fuckall about classical music to be honest, but there's Edvard Grieg (Norway) and Jean Sibelius (Finland, which is not really part of Scandinavia, though).
No idea if either of them have composed anything like you described, but uh, it's a start I guess? V:v:V

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 4, 2014

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I've never been much into electronic music, but I've realized that I actually like a lot of the elements of dubstep and its subgenres, although I don't really know much about the genre. What I particularly enjoy is the use of abrasive, glitchy sounds, that triplet thing they do all the time, the wubby bass, and the fact that it can sound pretty dark and evil at times.

I'd appreciate if someone could recommend me some ugly, dark dubstep (or you know, deathstep or darkstep or whatever). I would really prefer recommendations that don't have vocals or vocal samples, or at least as few as possible.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Pleasure to chill posted:

I've never been much into electronic music, but I've realized that I actually like a lot of the elements of dubstep and its subgenres, although I don't really know much about the genre. What I particularly enjoy is the use of abrasive, glitchy sounds, that triplet thing they do all the time, the wubby bass, and the fact that it can sound pretty dark and evil at times.

I'd appreciate if someone could recommend me some ugly, dark dubstep (or you know, deathstep or darkstep or whatever). I would really prefer recommendations that don't have vocals or vocal samples, or at least as few as possible.

You might want to look into trap music if you're really into the triplet "stuttering" thing that I think you're describing. As far as dubstep itself goes, I'm not a huge fan but I know that UKF's dubstep page is pretty popular and has a ton of stuff to get into

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
So I've been watching True Detective, and there is this great ambient tune playing in one scene. Can anyone recommend some ambient music similar to this?

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tliWDMrOjoQ

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

So I've been watching True Detective, and there is this great ambient tune playing in one scene. Can anyone recommend some ambient music similar to this?

I only have one thing but it's long and similarly dark: Haze 1402 by Bass Communion

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Pleasure to chill posted:

Dubstep is a very broad term and I don't know what the hell deathstep means but check out artists like The Bug, Vex'd, Shackleton, Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, and Burial of course.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm potentially going through a surprise break up after almost a year. Anything to get me off my National kick? I found this video and basically lost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMdvmOMDlb0

I'm not one to prolong this kind of self-punishment, but it's alright for the moment. Any rec's if anybody is awake?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

89 posted:

I'm potentially going through a surprise break up after almost a year. Anything to get me off my National kick? I found this video and basically lost it.

I'm not one to prolong this kind of self-punishment, but it's alright for the moment. Any rec's if anybody is awake?

I'm kind of confused, do you want more like it or something to cheer you up?

If it's the former, try some of this stuff:

Little Man - The Pineapple Thief
Old Friend - Angus & Julia Stone
Bats in the Attic - King Creosote & Jon Hopkins
For Nothing - OSI
Feel So Low - Porcupine Tree

e: if you want something to cheer you up

Wednesday 6th November - The Pineapple Thief
Migratory Patterns - Lowercase Noises

idk

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking for something that blends trip-hop with shoegaze. Not just one with elements of the other, I'm talking as close to 50/50 as it can get. Post-rock elements are also welcome in the mix.