Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Meatwave posted:

That would be pretty funny because the premier is going to be on 10 US channels today and 220 channels internationally. I'm not kidding. It's going to be playing on Fox Sports 1, even.

AND Fox Sports 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Is there going to be anywhere to stream this live (officially), or watch it tonight after it airs? I don't have any form of traditional TV, and stick to the standard internet options (Hulu Plus, Amazon Rpime, Netflix, etc...).

I am super excited, so would love to be able to catch it tonight, instead of having to wait for it to be posted on Fox's site tomorrow.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

All the people who would refuse to watch something because Obama was introducing the series premiere, probably weren't going to watch a science show hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson in the first place.

I'm not entirely comfortable with it, because I don't like the President showing up to basically shilling for a TV show.

Unless it was like...PBS presents The Presidents. Then maybe.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Sash! posted:

I'm not entirely comfortable with it, because I don't like the President showing up to basically shilling for a TV show.

Unless it was like...PBS presents The Presidents. Then maybe.

Yeah, I hate it when presidents give a poo poo about education. It's like, stick to the important stuff, you know?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I am 100% comfortable with the President shilling for a science education show. That kind of thing should happen more often.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't have cable or a TV connected to local channels via either coax or antenna or whatever. Is there a way for me to legally watch this either live or after it airs?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
My first reaction to the announcement of the Obama introduction was scorn, like "Oh, here comes the President to ride the coat-tails of a bunch of dedicated people who really gave it their all to make this new series. Okay, I guess." Granted, Obama himself isn't directly setting science budgets in the country - that's more of a Congressional task - but it does feel a little disingenuous considering how much scientific funding is getting slashed in this country. Feels like Presidential lip-service to those who are informed about current affairs, but at least his introduction might inspire somebody young. That's really the point here, isn't it?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, I hate it when presidents give a poo poo about education. It's like, stick to the important stuff, you know?

Or he's the President and shouldn't be making money for a privately owned TV show.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I watched the preview screening of the first episode for this on Tuesday.

It's really good.

The first episode was by turns both a grandiose exploration of the universe and a sincerely heartfelt introspective of science and humanity. There were more than a couple of sequences that had me teary-eyed. NDT's narration and personal flair are fantastic. Everything about the production is beautiful -- from the CG shots, to the real footage, to the animation sequences that serve as replacements for Sagan's Cosmos's live-action historical bits.

It feels equal parts remake, homage, and sequel. It is a great, worthy continuation of Cosmos, and it's great to see that Fox and Nat Geo are really throwing their weight behind it to really sell it to the general populace. I'm really excited to see where it heads from here.

Aw, we're not getting any live action historical bits? That really kind of sucks, they were so corny but so interesting in the original.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
The animation sequence from the first episode is extremely touching and well-acted. It's one of the high points of the episode, imo.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Anywhere this is being shown online? It seems to be on a ton of fox branded channels.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am so excited. Everybody get your Ron Paul gifs ready.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Anywhere this is being shown online? It seems to be on a ton of fox branded channels.

Probably not. Although it is airing on Foxsports 1 & 2 so there is a chance it'll pop up on random a sports streaming website.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Might be on Hulu the next week after, or however that deal works.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Oh my god so loving pumped. Did the original Cosmos air commercial-free? I've seen it a lot but can't for the life of me remember if there are breaks in the editing to accommodate them. Having to suffer through consumerist lies every 10 minutes is really going to knock me out of the groove if I watch this on Fox.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
So can i use the Hulu plus free trial to watch this and immediately cancel after it's over?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AwkwardKnob posted:

Oh my god so loving pumped. Did the original Cosmos air commercial-free? I've seen it a lot but can't for the life of me remember if there are breaks in the editing to accommodate them. Having to suffer through consumerist lies every 10 minutes is really going to knock me out of the groove if I watch this on Fox.

It aired on PBS so yes. If you really can't stand commercials DVR it and wait 15 minutes to start.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

haveblue posted:

If you really can't stand commercials DVR it and wait 15 minutes to start.

That's basically how I run my life. I can't remember the last time I've watched a commercial.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

I don't have a DVR so that's extremely disappointing. The only reason I wouldn't just wait until this pops up online and pirate it is because I emphatically want to "support the artist" in this case. Looks like I'll be using the mute button. Still, you have to admit that's disappointing because we're essentially being robbed of nearly 20 minutes of content per "hour" of show. When you stretch that out over 12 or 13 episodes, that's a lot of lost potential. Really wish Seth Macfarlane had paid to run this commercial-free out of pocket or something cool.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's a pretty weird complaint. It's TV, there are going to be commercials. It sure beats being on HBO at 10pm since I'd rather more eyeballs see this.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Yes, it's TV, but the original aired on PBS with no commercial interruption. Plenty of shows have done something similar, and I would have preferred it that way. What's weird about that? I am probably different than a lot of TVIV goons in that I literally loathe commercials and don't even watch live TV or have cable. Stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or just good old fashioned piracy enable me to experience all the shows and documentaries I like to watch with no commercials. Frankly, I don't understand how the rest of you tolerate it otherwise haha

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm so loving glad it isn't on PBS by itself. It wouldn't get nearly as many viewers.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I'm so loving glad it isn't on PBS by itself. It wouldn't get nearly as many viewers.

This. If you put an updated Cosmos on PBS today, the only viewers it would get are the people who would be watching the original if they rebroadcast it. The entire point of Cosmos is to get the general public interested in science, and that purpose would be utterly defeated by having it on PBS.

As much as I hate to say it, putting the new Cosmos on Fox is a masterstroke.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I read that the next day, NatGeo re-airings of episodes will have extra content. Is this true of the first episode as well? I had set my DVR to record it on Fox tonight and the series as well, but I definitely want the extras too, so I switched to NG. Any ideas?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AwkwardKnob posted:

My first reaction to the announcement of the Obama introduction was scorn, like "Oh, here comes the President to ride the coat-tails of a bunch of dedicated people who really gave it their all to make this new series. Okay, I guess." Granted, Obama himself isn't directly setting science budgets in the country - that's more of a Congressional task - but it does feel a little disingenuous considering how much scientific funding is getting slashed in this country. Feels like Presidential lip-service to those who are informed about current affairs, but at least his introduction might inspire somebody young. That's really the point here, isn't it?
I know this isn't D&D, but as someone "informed about current affairs," maybe you should take a look at the President's proposed budget before deciding that cuts in education and science spending are somehow his fault.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My partner and I are so excited for this. We met out in the middle of nowhere while out stargazing, and she's a physics and astronomy teacher as well as an executive on our local chapter of our astronomy club, so needless to say astronomy is a pretty big part of our lives. It's such an awesome way to get anyone interested in the sciences, so I hope the new season really takes off. Her students are so pumped for the premiere tonight to the point of planning a party to watch it. A party for a science show. How awesome is that?

I'm in full agreement with this poster who said that it's quite possible that this could do a lot to get people more interested in the astronomical sciences again. I would love to see some fresh faces at our astronomy club meetings, and I think that Cosmos has a really good chance of making that happen.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

My partner and I are so excited for this. We met out in the middle of nowhere while out stargazing, and she's a physics and astronomy teacher as well as an executive on our local chapter of our astronomy club, so needless to say astronomy is a pretty big part of our lives. It's such an awesome way to get anyone interested in the sciences, so I hope the new season really takes off. Her students are so pumped for the premiere tonight to the point of planning a party to watch it. A party for a science show. How awesome is that?

I'm in full agreement with this poster who said that it's quite possible that this could do a lot to get people more interested in the astronomical sciences again. I would love to see some fresh faces at our astronomy club meetings, and I think that Cosmos has a really good chance of making that happen.

I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with that poster too. Those fuckers at the A.L. never did run my letter, but I have a featured article getting published in Sky & Telescope later this year so the joke's on them.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with that poster too. Those fuckers at the A.L. never did run my letter, but I have a featured article getting published in Sky & Telescope later this year so the joke's on them.

Hahahah, awesome. I would love to see it when it comes out. I've shown your letter to a few younger folks in our chapter of the Royal Astronomical Society in an effort to get our median age down. I've managed to become their PR guy and webmaster as a result, so I've been overhauling a lot of our online presence in preparation for tonight, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
http://blabseal.de/bilbo/

Apparently he's going to stream Cosmos later and it's nice quality

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I know this isn't D&D, but as someone "informed about current affairs," maybe you should take a look at the President's proposed budget before deciding that cuts in education and science spending are somehow his fault.

Budgets are a negotiation and its telling that science spending is the first thing to go in the bargaining process.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
So, can we forgive Seth for The Cleveland Show?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

AwkwardKnob posted:

(Not directly targeted towards you)
I have seen this argument so many times, it's hilarious(Except usually more hateful/"GRRR OBUMMER IS BRAINWASHING US"). It's literally him trying to get people interested into the sciences(and various maths) which, despite imgur and reddit always upvoting things with the slightest reference to science, is a really sore point in this country. It really is as if this president were to say "Breathing is good for you", people would literally stop breathing. Education imperatives should always be supported by those in the government. It's also not as if he can't take x-minutes out of his day to work on this and crises abroad and at home.
/D&Drant

Can't wait for the show. It looks interesting and not self-serving as some other high concept 'science' shows have been.

e:

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, can we forgive Seth for The Cleveland Show?

Remember that he's making this next: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordertown_%282014_TV_series%29

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dammit!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a good streaming link? I'm trying to watch in bed :heysexy:

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 10, 2014

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Obamening for cosmos? Really?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mustache Ride posted:

Obamening for cosmos? Really?

Has the internet exploded yet?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
What I really hope is that this new series leads to more remixes from that "Still More Glorious Dawn" dude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god that tardigrade. :3:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am so used to anything even remotely educational NOT being on prime time television, or on the big networks that I am... uneasy about seeing Cosmos on Fox, even if I am thrilled to see the show come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

Has the internet exploded yet?
Freep meltdown in 3..2..

• Locked thread