Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No, it was consensual. Peter is realizing this happened and freaking out in the narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Was Taters posted:

I loving hate to even ask, but is she saying no...? I mean she is saying no, right?
Totally willing!

Hahahaha I mean, what are you talking about, that was never written, this is why I pretend

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Was Taters posted:

I loving hate to even ask, but is she saying no...? I mean she is saying no, right?

That's Peter's narration, it was written as consensual.

I choose to believe editorial put forward the "Okay but it has to be Norman's kids" to try and sink the storyline and JMS ran with it out of spite.

I need to believe that.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
OK, phew. Because if she's saying no and still going all O-face that would actually be worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's up with Marvel renumbering their books up to 600 (500 in the case of Invincible Iron Man) all of a sudden around Siege?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

What's up with Marvel renumbering their books up to 600 (500 in the case of Invincible Iron Man) all of a sudden around Siege?

Everything was at a point where it was going to hit a milestone according to the original numbering, so Marvel decided to make it a Thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There was a lot of fudging to get most of those centennials.

I think there was a Brian Bendis reply to a question on how exactly some title or other added up to it's milestone number, and it was real silly.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 6, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was a lot of fudging to get most of those centennials.

I think there was a Brian Bendis reply to a question on how exactly some title or other added up to it's milestone number, and it was real silly.

The Captain America and Thor are the best, since they included the issues that did not even have the characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

The Captain America and Thor are the best, since they included the issues that did not even have the characters.

The Fantastic Four one counts the run of FF which kept going so figure that out. Incredible Hulk included the issues of Hulk which also kept running so it's basically Marvel saying gently caress OFF BUY THIS $8 COMIC. to the fans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Fantastic Four one counts the run of FF which kept going so figure that out. Incredible Hulk included the issues of Hulk which also kept running so it's basically Marvel saying gently caress OFF BUY THIS $8 COMIC. to the fans.

Yeah but that was the only Fantastic Four title. It became a spin off once the original Fantastic Four returned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but that was the only Fantastic Four title. It became a spin off once the original Fantastic Four returned.

Still, they canceled F4, restarted as FF and they brought F4 back alongside. It's cheating!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I thought they were only running at the same time after #600 came out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^ They were

Rhyno posted:

Still, they canceled F4, restarted as FF and they brought F4 back alongside. It's cheating!

It would not be the first time. Rememeber all the titles got cancelled and then Heroes Reborn came, and those counted. I was talking about how for Captain America they counted Tales from Suspense starting from issue 1, not when Cap started appearing in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

^ They were

It would not be the first time. Rememeber all the titles got cancelled and then Heroes Reborn came, and those counted. I was talking about how for Captain America they counted Tales from Suspense starting from issue 1, not when Cap started appearing in it.

What I'm saying is that FF remain it's own thing so those issues shouldn't count as F4. IT BOTHERS ME.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

What I'm saying is that FF remain it's own thing so those issues shouldn't count as F4. IT BOTHERS ME.
There was a period when FF was the F4 title, so those count, and then it became a spinoff, so those don't! Geez Rhyno why is this so hard for you :rolleyes:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Also what about the years that X-men was just reprints? Should those count?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Also what about the years that X-men was just reprints? Should those count?

NO.

CapnAndy posted:

There was a period when FF was the F4 title, so those count, and then it became a spinoff, so those don't! Geez Rhyno why is this so hard for you :rolleyes:

YOU SHUT UP.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

To be fair, they've been doing that since Tales to Astonish of Suspense became Captain America with #100.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 6, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
When are they going to start renumbering Amazing Fantasy?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

When are they going to start renumbering Amazing Fantasy?

2004. They have published two different Amazing Fantasy #16's also.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I decided to get back into reading comics again, and have a question regarding Magneto, which I just picked up the first issue of. It looks like Magneto's lost everything, but since I haven't read comics in years I'm not sure why. I'm guessing he joined up with the X-Men?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr E posted:

I decided to get back into reading comics again, and have a question regarding Magneto, which I just picked up the first issue of. It looks like Magneto's lost everything, but since I haven't read comics in years I'm not sure why. I'm guessing he joined up with the X-Men?
Not sure when you stopped reading comics, but Magneto's chronology goes like this:

1. Magneto is a bad guy!

2. Magneto gets turned into a baby and is programmed (as a baby) not to be so mean by Moira MacTaggart.

3. Magneto becomes an adult again, and is no longer programmed not to be evil!

4. Or maybe he's not so evil, he almost kills Kitty Pryde and feels bad about almost killing a little girl and also almost killing a Jewish person, because Magneto is Jewish, he decides to mention.

5. Magneto is brought to BATTLEWORLD by the Beyonder and challenged by the Beyonder to be part of like a giant superhero dogfight, but refuses to team up with the bad guys and pals around with the X-Men.

6. After BATTLEWORLD he kind of pals around with the X-Men and is put on trial for war crimes. The trial gets interupted by a mutant attack and I guess Magneto fakes his death or something and tells everyone he's Xavier's long lost brother and joins the X-Men.

7. He trains the New Mutants for awhile but keeps on kinda going "I sure do miss being a supervillain..." and joins the Hellfire Club, but ONLY TO BE A GOOD GUY IN THE BAD GUYS CLUB, HE PROMISES. Later he teams up with a bunch of supervillains for Acts of Vengeance but again, IT'S JUST TO BE A GOOD GUY IN THE BAD GUYS CLUB. This is kind of borne out when he knocks out Red Skull and yells at him for being a Nazi and dumps him into a prison pit to starve to death.

8. Eventually he gives up on being a good guy and like kills some people in the Savage Land and builds a new Asteroid base and threatens to nuke the Earth but eventually realizes that's a bad idea and blows up the asteroid and his Acolytes and he is presumed dead.

9. A couple years later he comes back! He's super crazy and crashes Illyana's funeral to go gently caress YOUR CREW XAVIER, gently caress YOUR FUNERAL and for some reason Colossus decides to join his gang. The X-Men attack him and he rips Wolverine's metal skeleton out and that is beyond the pale I guess so Xavier turns off his mind.

10. So Magneto's body is up in the asteroid being prayed to by Colossus and company, but Magneto's nasty thoughts jumped from his brain into Xavier's and they team up with Xavier's nasty thoughts and become ONSLAUGHT, who was a big red endboss from a Capcom fighting game. Onslaught gets killed or evaporated by a big Care Bear Stare sort of sacrifice from the Avengers and Fantastic Four. Magneto is still in a coma but someone shows up from another dimension to blow up his asteroid and again, he is presumed dead.

11. A young amnesiac dude who looks just like Magneto and has magnetic powers named Joseph wakes up in a church or something and eventually joins the X-Men. Everyone assumes he is Magneto because he's already been de-aged like twice and come on, he's Magneto.

12. But NO, turns out that someone who hated Magneto created a clone of Magneto she was going to use to kill Magneto(?) but the clone escaped and was a nice guy after all. Magneto takes advantage of everyone thinking his clone was him to set up an elaborate plot that ends up with him convincing the X-Men to leave Gambit to die in the Arctic, and I guess trick the UN into giving him control of Genosha.

13. As head of Genosha, he turns it into a dictatorship and builds and army and like beats and kidnaps practically all of the X-Men and crucifies Xavier and is going to have a show trial and execution of the X-Men but Jean Grey recruits a new team of people including Northstar, Dazzler, and people you have never heard of. Magneto reveals that he can now control LIGHT, because light is magnetic kind of. But Dazzler's light show distracts him long enough for Jean to distract everyone, and Wolverine murders Magneto.

14. A few months later Magneto is revealed to have survived being murdered by Wolverine, but is instead convalescing in Genosha when a giant Sentinel crashes into the island and kills almost everyone.

15. The X-Men recruit a new mutant named Xorn to their team, who after spending a year building up everyone's trust reveals himself to be Magneto! He takes over New York City and kills loads of people and threatens to reverse the planet's magnetic poles (which was his threat in step 12 too, and wouldn't really affect the planet much at all) and he kills Jean Grey and then Wolverine murders him again.

16. TURNS OUT THAT WAS JUST XORN PRETENDING TO BE MAGNETO. No, not Xorn, Xorn's evil brother Xorn. Magneto is FINE, he was just resting up in Genosha and he's still friends with Xavier despite that crucifixion thing. Magneto and Xavier and tentacle Callisto chill on Genosha trying to rebuild it for awhile, plus then Magneto's daughter the Scarlet Witch goes crazy and kills a bunch of people. Magneto comes and gets her before anyone can kill her.

17. Magneto and Xavier can't make his kid any less crazy, and they're starting to think maybe they should just let the X-Men and Avengers kill her. But Magneto's other kid convinces her to remake the universe so Magneto is Mutant Emperor of Earth. This is a crossover for like eight months. At the end of it Wanda gets really mad and tries to depower all of the mutants, and succeeds in depowering like 90% of them, including Magneto.

18. Everyone kind of blames Magneto for getting all the mutants depowered so he wanders around a bit and hooks up with the High Evolutionary to get his powers back. He does, somehow. And he asks to join up with the X-Men, which he does after some token resistance. The X-Men (under Cyclops) were getting more and more militant and declared themselves a sovereign nation off the coast of San Francisco.

18.5. Around this time there is a Schism (the name of the event) where like Wolverine goes "hey are we training child soldiers to fight a war with humans or something?" And Cyclops goes "what's it to you, pussy?" and then everyone fought for awhile. Wolverine goes back to New York and restarts Xavier's School (now the Jean Grey School) to try to help kids all peaceable-like. Cyclops forms a "Extinction Team" with Magneto which was a reminder that the mutants could probably wipe out humanity if they wanted to, so everyone should be nice to them.

19. Some people remember that Magneto is a criminal/murderer and how he never really got his trial like twenty years ago, but he hires a PR lady so people stop hassling him about it.

20. The Phoenix comes back and uses a group of X-Men (not Magneto) as hosts. They start doing crazy things like establishing the death penalty for war and fusing the tectonic plates together and giving whales crablegs. Then the Phoenix X-Men start fighting each other to steal the Phoenix force from each other. Then Super Saiyan Phoenix Cyclops murders Xavier, and some stuff happens so Phoenix goes away and there are new mutants again. Cyclops is sent to jail.

21. Magneto helps break Cyclops out of jail and forms an underground X-throwin' guerilla unit X-Men along with most of the other Phoenix X-Men. Everyone's powers are all messed up because of the Phoenix probably, but this includes Magneto too even though he was never Phoenix. They start recruiting new mutants to their underground crew because I guess they don't trust anyone else.

22. Magneto decided to leave that crew because I guess he has a solo book now. He was like a triple agent for Cyclops and SHIELD I think?

So that's what happened since you stopped reading / since Magneto was introduced fifty one years ago. He did join the X-Men at least three times.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for the history, Xorn is around where I stopped reading. Turns out comics are still crazy, just the way I like em. Also, Magneto seems like it could be great.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
See, why I stopped reading X-Men decades ago (around the time 10 was going on I'd say) is that this is just ONE character's back story out of what? 40? 50? more? You're expected to know to keep up with that group. Heck, even frickin Lockheed now has a crazy history, and he started out as just "wacky pet mini dragon".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

See, why I stopped reading X-Men decades ago (around the time 10 was going on I'd say) is that this is just ONE character's back story out of what? 40? 50? more? You're expected to know to keep up with that group. Heck, even frickin Lockheed now has a crazy history, and he started out as just "wacky pet mini dragon".
This is true of basically any comic from Marvel or DC, though. (And no, you're not expected to know all of that. All you need to know about Magneto is that he used to be a bad guy, now he's not, and his powers are wonky.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read the new Magnito book, but I'm sure all that's useful to know is what's happened in Uncanny since the NOW! relaunch.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Endless Mike posted:

This is true of basically any comic from Marvel or DC, though. (And no, you're not expected to know all of that. All you need to know about Magneto is that he used to be a bad guy, now he's not, and his powers are wonky.)

Yeah all you need to know is Magneto used to be an interesting bad guy who's conflicts with the x-men made you question who was right and is now an uninteresting good guy who's powers are wonky.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I realize that, I was initially just going to recap the past 1-3 years but then I realized that going off of "I guess Magneto joined the X-Men when I wasn't reading?" meant he could have stopped reading in like 1983, 1995, 2005 or 2006.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

This is really thorough, and also gave me a huge blast of nostalgia. You never half-rear end posts Edge&Christian.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Honestly that was an interesting post and while continuity is something that can be easily ignored I think for a character like Magneto who is basically a walking contradiction acknowledging his dumb past is important. It's not integral to reading revamped #1s but it is integral to the character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was amazing that Morrison even attempted to contextualize and legitimize Batman's ridiculous history. Even though most of the wacky adventures were relegated to isolation experiment hallucinations, it was a feat.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Edge & Christian posted:

Not sure when you stopped reading comics, but Magneto's chronology goes like this:
This is the best post.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Reminds me that I bought Magneto: Testament a long time ago and I still haven't read it.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Waterhaul posted:

Honestly that was an interesting post and while continuity is something that can be easily ignored I think for a character like Magneto who is basically a walking contradiction acknowledging his dumb past is important. It's not integral to reading revamped #1s but it is integral to the character.

Why? Why is it important to acknowledge all of 1-21? What exactly is going to be missing if Bunn decides that his Magneto story is going to be 4, the first two X-Men movies, 18, 21, and maybe a bit of peppering from 1, and gently caress the rest it didn't happen?

Hell, it's even canon that any writer can ignore everything after 8 or so (I'll assume E&C could correctly identify the start date) given the ending of X-Men Legacy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Zachack posted:

Why? Why is it important to acknowledge all of 1-21? What exactly is going to be missing if Bunn decides that his Magneto story is going to be 4, the first two X-Men movies, 18, 21, and maybe a bit of peppering from 1, and gently caress the rest it didn't happen?

Hell, it's even canon that any writer can ignore everything after 8 or so (I'll assume E&C could correctly identify the start date) given the ending of X-Men Legacy.
I haven't read X-Men Legacy (any of them, really) so I don't really know why that would be canon. I know they keep doing things to de-age him, but did they say like "X-Men #175-400 never happened! It was a dream!"?

The problem with saying "gently caress the rest" really depends on what you mean by saying "gently caress the rest". It's cool to politely ignore things. It's totally cool that (by and large) the past decade or so worth of Spider-Man books have politely ignored Peter's evil robot parents, Aunt May's death being faked, Nathan Lubensky, Sins Past, the Clone Saga, The Other, etc. Politely ignoring is the best thing to do.

The problem comes when a story goes "gently caress the rest, it didn't happen." Because fine, maybe for the purposes of Cullen Bunn's Magneto comic it's probably fine to say gently caress THIS gently caress YOU SECRET WARS NEVER HAPPENED, AVX NEVER HAPPENED, HOUSE OF M NEVER HAPPENED, GENOSHA ISN'T EVEN A THING, THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, WHAT THE gently caress IS A GENOSHA GET THAT OUT OF MY FACE YOU PIECE OF poo poo". But Cullen Bunn's Magneto is probably going to have other characters appear eventually. Other characters with relationships to Magneto. Magneto's relationships to those characters are predicated on past actions.

It would be kind of dumb if the Avengers showed up and he was all "there's my favorite daughter Wanda! How are you, honey? And who is this other young lady? Rogue? I don't believe we've met!"

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't read X-Men Legacy (any of them, really) so I don't really know why that would be canon. I know they keep doing things to de-age him, but did they say like "X-Men #175-400 never happened! It was a dream!"?
Kinda. Massive ending spoilers for Spurrier's just-ended run: Legion erases himself from ever existing except as a memory to the one person who wants to remember him. It came across as a pretty direct response to Gillen's ending to JiM, and Spurrier addresses the issue of canon in his end notes. I just don't have the encyclopedia of history you do and can't pinpoint where Legion first showed up in relation to Magneto's history.

quote:

The problem with saying "gently caress the rest" really depends on what you mean by saying "gently caress the rest". It's cool to politely ignore things. It's totally cool that (by and large) the past decade or so worth of Spider-Man books have politely ignored Peter's evil robot parents, Aunt May's death being faked, Nathan Lubensky, Sins Past, the Clone Saga, The Other, etc. Politely ignoring is the best thing to do.

The problem comes when a story goes "gently caress the rest, it didn't happen." Because fine, maybe for the purposes of Cullen Bunn's Magneto comic it's probably fine to say gently caress THIS gently caress YOU SECRET WARS NEVER HAPPENED, AVX NEVER HAPPENED, HOUSE OF M NEVER HAPPENED, GENOSHA ISN'T EVEN A THING, THE gently caress ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, WHAT THE gently caress IS A GENOSHA GET THAT OUT OF MY FACE YOU PIECE OF poo poo". But Cullen Bunn's Magneto is probably going to have other characters appear eventually. Other characters with relationships to Magneto. Magneto's relationships to those characters are predicated on past actions.

It would be kind of dumb if the Avengers showed up and he was all "there's my favorite daughter Wanda! How are you, honey? And who is this other young lady? Rogue? I don't believe we've met!"
That's not how I read what I quoted because I largely agree with what you posted, although I would also opine that I don't see anything wrong with Bunn going completely off the ranch if it means a better story. Granted, change enough and the question of "why is this called Magneto when it's a story about a bald older guy who gets sent back in time to hunt cursed guns that lock the gate of hell in the old west" will start to crop up, but I'm not going to reject out of hand a story about a metal-controlling holocaust survivor just because in this version he has a good relationship with his daughter. Creators ideally would have the freedom to use character history if desired, not because of some obligation.

But what you posted, to me, doesn't come across as "acknowledging his dumb past". It comes across as using the current snapshot of character and its relationships and telling a story from there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember a comic panel that was posted here about some up coming comic or web comic that had a girl with a sword running down a bridge and beating the poo poo out of some skeletons? It was posted maybe a year ago or more. It just popped into my head and, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was from or if it was ever released.

\/\/\/Thanks!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Soonmot posted:

Does anyone remember a comic panel that was posted here about some up coming comic or web comic that had a girl with a sword running down a bridge and beating the poo poo out of some skeletons? It was posted maybe a year ago or more. It just popped into my head and, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was from or if it was ever released.

It was by Jake Wyatt. Here's all there is so far.
http://jakewyattriot.tumblr.com/tagged/Necropolis

He was going to do a web comic, then put up a message about it "going to print" without any other information. I believe he's drawing it now (an issue? a volume?) and will put up 1 page/week once he finishes. Haven't seen anything posted about it recently so who knows.

EDIT: There's some posts with sketches and the like in his tumblr beyond the link above.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 9, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Comixology posted:

SXSW 2014 SUBMIT STARTER PACK
Celebrate the one-year anniversary of ComiXology Submit with 100 of the top books the program has to offer all for only ten bucks! Including works from Joshua Hale Fialkov, Becky Cloonan, Shannon Wheeler, Rachel Deering, Douglas Rushkoff, Tom Scioli, Kel Macdonald, Joe Infurnari, Jake Parker and Fabian Rangel, Jr. Available until March 10th, 11pm EST.

Before I go and drop $10 on "$330 worth of content", are these actually any good? Am I going to have to sift through a whole lot of filler to get some good comics, and even these, are they likely to be first issues only? Put another way, am I paying $10 for 100 comics that will likely clutter my collection page and essentially it's a $10 sampler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What is Valeria's relationship to Dr Doom? Why does she call him Uncle?