Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, it's airing on ten networks, I'll just use Time Warner's streaming site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I do wish Obama would give NASA more money.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Acquilae posted:

Freep meltdown in 3..2..

Lol Freep watching anything about science.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This isn't up against much so if the ratings suck, well... you should have no more faith in humanity.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

I do wish Obama would give NASA more money.
Budget is set by Congress :eng101:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Brannon Braga? Nooooooooooooooooooo................

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hahahaha Brannon Braga is an EP? Oh lordy.

edit: ^ :argh:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Voyager was pointing the wrong way relative to its motion, series is a disaster.

As someone that literally works on NASA budgetary stuff and knows how the hot dogs are made, NASA doesn't need more money, really. It needs to have a better idea how to use what it's got.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I do like the upgraded Boba Fett spaceship.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Budget is set by Congress :eng101:

Thanks, Josh Lyman.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I didn't realize Tyson had a future-tech spaceship.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

AwkwardKnob posted:

Yes, it's TV, but the original aired on PBS with no commercial interruption. Plenty of shows have done something similar, and I would have preferred it that way. What's weird about that? I am probably different than a lot of TVIV goons in that I literally loathe commercials and don't even watch live TV or have cable. Stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or just good old fashioned piracy enable me to experience all the shows and documentaries I like to watch with no commercials. Frankly, I don't understand how the rest of you tolerate it otherwise haha

To be honest, it would be rather much to expect 220 channels across the planet to show this without commercial interruption.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A Dyson sphere? Is this Science fact or Science Fiction, I'm confused

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hehe, like humanity is really gonna last for another 250million years...hehe :smith:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

I do like the upgraded Boba Fett spaceship.

Its a shinier version of Padme's ship from the Phantom Menace. Or maybe Darth Maul's.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Sash! posted:

Voyager was pointing the wrong way relative to its motion, series is a disaster.

As someone that literally works on NASA budgetary stuff and knows how the hot dogs are made, NASA doesn't need more money, really. It needs to have a better idea how to use what it's got.

It might not need more money to fund its current missions, but I think what they're implying is that with a bigger budget they could take on even more projects.

E: Even Neil couldn't get them to accurately depict the asteroid belt. Biggest pet peeve in public understanding of the solar system. I give up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

NASA deserves all the money they could possibly ever dream of and more. If the Apollo program wasn't suddenly shut down after the early 70s and we continued on with the NASA roadmap we'd have been on Mars by the mid 80s.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

#cosmos isn't trending on Twitter but #LongIslandMedium is :suicide:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Josh Lyman posted:

This isn't up against much so if the ratings suck, well... you should have no more faith in humanity.

Uhhh, it's up against The Walking Dead (insane rating juggernaut), Downton Abbey (sizable and loyal audience) and True Detective (early critical/cult hit). It could be worse, but that's a reasonably challenging set of competitors.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You are a nerd posted:

It might not need more money to fund its current missions, but I think what they're implying is that with a bigger budget they could take on even more projects.

That's the problem though. If you want NASA to blow the doors off engineer and science again, NASA has to have one super-goal to accomplish. In the 60s, almost the entire agency was devoted to getting to the Moon. If I remember right, exactly two flights (two Mariners) were not lunar missions.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

This is a bad way to educate the uneducated.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

#cosmos isn't trending on Twitter but #LongIslandMedium is :suicide:

give it 5 minutes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's nice that they found a way to re-use the Illusive Man office set from Mass Effect 3. Wouldn't want that to go to waste on a backlot somewhere.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NASA deserves all the money they could possibly ever dream of and more. If the Apollo program wasn't suddenly shut down after the early 70s and we continued on with the NASA roadmap we'd have been on Mars by the mid 80s.

Not even close. We'd have killed a few crews and that would have been that. We couldn't have kept a crew alive for more than a few weeks at that point.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Do you know the odds of successfully navigating the Kuiper Belt?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Ahh, poor Pluto.
Demoted by the anti-Plutonian media

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I wish they were using music that took more cues from old Cosmos rather than Hollywood orchestra, but eh.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Voyager was pointing the right way that time. Everything's back on track!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Space blues are pretty rad

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Postal Parcel posted:

Ahh, poor Pluto.

i never thought i would use this emote

:pluto:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

Ahh, poor Pluto.
It's sad how the de-planeting of Pluto was the last thing that caused a big reaction of astronomy by the general public :smith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sash! posted:

Not even close. We'd have killed a few crews and that would have been that. We couldn't have kept a crew alive for more than a few weeks at that point.

We'll we'd sure as poo poo have moon bases!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Approximately 3,720 : 1.

Edit: vvv This guy knows what's up.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Never tell me the odds!

Fake edit: I'm actually curious, what are the odds?

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Needs more Vangelis, and fewer commercials.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Sash! posted:

That's the problem though. If you want NASA to blow the doors off engineer and science again, NASA has to have one super-goal to accomplish. In the 60s, almost the entire agency was devoted to getting to the Moon. If I remember right, exactly two flights (two Mariners) were not lunar missions.

Who says they have to blow any doors off? There are an untold multitude of smaller projects like bigger and better space telescopes, potential Earth impactor monitoring, and space-based satellite monitoring of any number of things that they'll never get around to with present budgeting.

Caddie
Feb 11, 2008

by Hand Knit
I always knew that when Neil Degrasse Tyson was taking a break from guesting on the Daily Show that he was orbiting Earth in a cloaked penis shaped spaceship.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Did anyone else's FOX feed switch to the USA network for like one minute at the start, or is COX just a lovely cable provider?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

surf rock posted:

Never tell me the odds!

Fake edit: I'm actually curious, what are the odds?

Probably extremely good, here's a lot of space between objects out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hehe, like humanity is really gonna last for another 250million years...hehe :smith:
My oceanography teacher put it best, "All that humanity is going to leave behind is a 2 inch layer of plastic in the stratigraphic record" :smith:

• Locked thread