Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

surf rock posted:

Never tell me the odds!

Fake edit: I'm actually curious, what are the odds?

Probably pretty good. There's a lot of stuff out there, but there's a lot more nothing in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

FuhrerHat posted:

This is a bad way to educate the uneducated.
Science channel astronomy shows are the best for pure education IMO; it's how I learned about things like gamma ray bursts, iron fusion causing supernovas, black holes at the center of galaxies, etc.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hopefully we'll have less smug Tyson, and more science Tyson from here on out.

edit, and less of that drat ship

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Probably pretty good. There's a lot of stuff out there, but there's a lot more nothing in between.

Plus it's super slow moving that far from the Sun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FuhrerHat posted:

It's not really meant to educate per see. It's meant to inspire.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Thanks, Tyson, I feel so damned insignificant. :argh:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We'll we'd sure as poo poo have moon bases!

Yes, we'd absolutely have a couple of those.

The follow-on for the Saturn VII was a manned Venus flyby using what eventually became Skylab as a habitat module for the trip. We'd have learned a lot of what the ISS has been been for and we'd have realized Mars was out of the picture for a very long time. Low Earth orbit and the Moon would have been the new target, but the big problem in alternate 1980 would have been the same one we have now: what do you do once you're up there? Still haven't figured that one out really.

You are a nerd posted:

Who says they have to blow any doors off? There are an untold multitude of smaller projects like bigger and better space telescopes, potential Earth impactor monitoring, and space-based satellite monitoring of any number of things that they'll never get around to with present budgeting.

If you want people to have huge sums of money spent on it, you have to do things like "achieve that which man has dreamed of since first he looked at the Moon."

NASA could do all the regular day to day stuff that would be useful like Earth science and planetary defense if money didn't fall down the ISS, SOFIA, and SLS holes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I hope at least a few of my multi-verse selves are turning out more successful than I am.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mustache Ride posted:

Hopefully we'll have less smug Tyson, and more science Tyson from here on out.

edit, and less of that drat ship

So far this spaceship of the mind is following in the footsteps of Sagan. Not sure why you would expect something different.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I understand that it is sometimes preferable to... simplify history or science when giving a very basic education, but claiming that... all of those things were first conceived of by Galileo is simply untrue.

Is it all that hard to toss a few lines at the Greeks and oh I don't know, Copernicus :?

Nope. Sorry. Earth goes around the sun, the stars are but twinkling lights and NO ONE ELSE thought otherwise prior to Galileo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope at least a few of my multi-verse selves are turning out more successful than I am.

If you're going that route, there's an infinite amount of less successful versions of you out there too, so there's always that.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

FuhrerHat posted:

It is. Going to need some science and explaining why things are happening instead of pointing at things. So far this is just a more expensive version of poo poo you can find on H2.

Caddie
Feb 11, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

The Multiverse

The evil Neil of Earth-3 does his best to discourage scientific exploration.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What if yours is the most successful?

Isn't that literally the worst thing to think of, ever?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Diogines posted:

I understand that it is sometimes preferable to... simplify history or science when giving a very basic education, but claiming that... all of those things were first conceived of by Galileo is simply untrue.

Is it all that hard to toss a few lines at the Greeks and oh I don't know, Copernicus :?

Nope. Sorry. Earth goes around the sun, the stars are but twinkling lights and NO ONE ELSE thought otherwise prior to Galileo.
This seriously irks me. It's not hard to at least say "Heliocentrism was around but not at all predominant before the Renaissance".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Caddie posted:

Earth-38 where Pope Sagan crushed the Muslim infidels with the power of the atom was a confusing one.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Old James posted:

So far this spaceship of the mind is following in the footsteps of Sagan. Not sure why you would expect something different.

Its too shiny and CGIy

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can Global push more "COMING UP NEXT" promos over the show? Let's find out!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Would an 80s-era managed flyby of Venus been capable of shielding its crew from radiation once it left the protection of earth's magnetic field?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Diogines posted:

Boy, you're gonna feel silly after the commercial break. :allears:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Caddie posted:

And Pluto is the only planet.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

This seriously irks me. It's not hard to at least say "Heliocentrism was around but not at all predominant before the Renaissance".

I withdraw my gripe. He just at least gave a sentence for Copernicus, just like I wanted him to.

Edit: AND now the Greeks! Okay. Good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Diogines posted:

There you go.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Diogines posted:

Looks like it wasn't that hard at all.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Diogines posted:

*cough*

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Ya'll gotta like, quit judging this thing minute-by-minute. Just watch and enjoy. I'm enjoying it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Diogines posted:

I withdraw my gripe. He just at least gave a sentence for Copernicus, just like I wanted him to.

AND Lucretius. Deep cuts here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

Ya'll gotta like, quit judging this thing minute-by-minute. Just watch and enjoy. I'm enjoying it.
Obviously you don't understand that it's totally the internet cool thing to call things out preemptively :smug:

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

Not the goon way.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

THE SHADOW POPE

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Bubba Smith posted:

Indeed. I was unfair.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This is entertaining enough where sitting here posting criticisms would distract from watching this amazing thing.

edit: jk i can do both

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Did it just crap out for anyone else, or is Time Warner just terrible here?

EDIT: Just the one channel, probably just in my area. The stream on NatGeo is still live.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It turns out that Girl Scouts Samoa cookie Breyer's ice cream is actually not that good.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Did it just crap out for anyone else, or is Time Warner just terrible here?

Nothing crapped out for me. Maybe you're having a stroke.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

It turns out that Girl Scouts Samoa cookie Breyer's ice cream is actually not that good.

This is profoundly disappointing to discover.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

drat German Lutherns.

Wait, what are we watching?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Maybe your wife orbits my dick

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Is that Seth as Bruno? And I hear Phil Lamar in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

drat German Lutherns.

Wait, what are we watching?