Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

With semis, if possible I like to hang back until it's clear enough for me to get all the way past. Minimizes my time next to it and in the driver's blind spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit, forgot to pull video of it - this happened a few days ago.

Was behind a smaller semi (Sysco). Side door swung open as he took a left turn, then slammed back shut. Then swung open a few times while going down the road.

Smacked the roof of the Suburban that was passing him on the right. :downsgun:

At least the driver realized "ohshit" pretty quickly, he got less than a mile down the road before pulling over. Didn't wait around long enough to see what happened with the Suburban, though I did laugh my rear end off when the Suburban tried to pass him (on the right, while the truck had their right signal on and was trying to move into the right lane, with the side trailer door visibly trying to open) and got smacked.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 10, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bugdrvr posted:

I wouldn't even consider that bad riding. If you want to pass and there is an open lane and the others are being parked in, screw it.

I almost, sorta feel bad when I come upon a 4 or 5 lane rolling roadblock and lane split between them. I'm sure splitting by at 70 wakes them up from their stupor for a few seconds, and I'm very sorry for it obviously, but goddamn move the gently caress over. If you ever used your rear view for more than checking your makeup you might notice there is about a half mile of cars stuck behind you while there is a quarter mile of no one in front.

I am the people you share the road with.

Yeah gently caress it, I don't give a poo poo if I hurt people's feelings by passing on the right or in the middle. Don't like it? Well move the gently caress out of the left lane you gigantic moron, it isn't a clubhouse for people doing .5mph over the limit and the law in 40+ states is "keep right except to pass".

Sometimes blowing by people fumblefucking around in the left lane actually wakes them up enough that they get the hell out of it for a few minutes, too - though it usually takes two or three people following me past them on the right. After shooting us all an ugly look of course, because you see it is totally our fault they are an oblivious idiot who didn't realize they had 15 cars backed up behind them.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

stevewm posted:

Welp thanks to some idiot drivers I am now sitting in a nursing home/rehab place with a double compound fracture of my tibia and fibula.

Last friday night (Feb 28th), I was on my way home, headed through one of the last intersections before heading out of town. The light turned green several hundred feet before I arrived at the intersection. A elderly couple where sitting in the opposite turning lane in their minivan, they did not have a green arrow.

I was almost exactly in the middle of the intersection when they decided to go ahead and make their left turn, causing me to t-bone them at around 40MPH. (orange X in image below)

There was just enough time for me to see them turn into my path and for my to put my right foot on the brake. I never got to push it though. The force of the impact pushed my body forward enough to break both my tibia and fibula.

They where not injured. I was airlifted to University of Cincinnati Hospital.

Jeez, glad you're relatively okay. I hope your lawyer is able to make you whole again.

Your post actually reminded me of an accident I was in, in 2008. I had a Wrangler at the time and was headed home from the gym. Two lane road, I was doing about 50. Coming up to a 4-way signaled intersection with a green light. There was a car in the oncoming lane waiting to turn left across my lane. I don't know if she just didn't see me (perfectly clear visibility, sun was still out) or what but she turned just as I made my way through the intersection.

It was the most perfect T-bone you could lay your eyes on. Completely 90 degree impact. The car she was driving was a late 90's four-door Chevy Cavalier which, as you may know, are not the sturdiest cars on the road (if they're not all in a junkyard by now). I hit that car's B-pillar so hard it creased the entire side of the car inward and spun it about 140 degrees. Unfortunately it was full of passengers. They had to use the jaws of life to cut the side of the car away to extricate the passengers, one of whom was an infant in a car seat (luckily on the opposite side of where I impacted it).

It absolutely demolished this tiny little car, and one of the weird things is that I hit it so dead-on that my air bag didn't even go off. I still remember to this day that exact moment when I realized that the car was turning in front of me that split-second thought that ran through my head - "You've got to be kidding me." I reflexively death-gripped the steering wheel to brace for the impact and aside from my shins scraping the part of the dash just above the footwell, I was completely unharmed.

The weirdest part of the story is the (luckily) one and only injured person, who was sitting in the front passenger seat. After the authorities were notified and on their way to the scene, I could see her kind of slowly writhing back and forth in her seat. She raised her leg high in the air in front of her and I didn't really understand what she was doing. The fire truck shows up and cuts the side of the car off and puts her on a stretcher. Come to find out, she had no arms. Obviously born that way, what she was doing raising her leg in the air was unbuckling her seat belt with her foot. It's pretty interesting in retrospect and while she had some blood running down the side of her face, she wasn't critical or anything.

After the scene was cleaned up, the cops said I was free to go as there was surprisingly little visible damage to my Jeep. I took a closer look and noticed oil dripping from the bottom, I told them I didn't feel safe driving it so they called a flatbed to remove it. My girlfriend at the time was sitting in her car waiting, so I went over to get in her car to go home. In the hour or so it took for the scene to be cleaned up, her battery had died. Luckily the Gomer left to wrap everything up and brush the broken glass out of the road was kind enough to jumpstart her car.

What a weird experience that was. Jeep ended up totaled, thanks to a bunch of internal damage. I guess smashing into another solid object at 50 miles per hour will do that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmAi4_ip-A&t=145s

(you may want to mute it to block out the childish swearing. I was having a bad day)

Well there's your problem, you took 202W further than the 143. I avoid that bit of freeway like the plague (I think the only ones I drive less often are the 51 and I17, and I actually like 51) because even though it hasn't changed in years, everyone gets monumentally stupid on those exits approaching I10.

It's bizarre, because US60 has as many / more lane-ends between the 101 and I10, yet you never seem to get this poo poo.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FogHelmut posted:

Most of these anti-cellphone driving laws have exemptions for cops literally written as part of the law. Apparently they have some kind of advanced hyper driving abilities.
And when they go 90 through a red light and plow through a car that was making a left on green in the intersection before the PO crested the hill, it's the fault of the dead granny and her dead grandkids, not the cop chasing a car that was never confirmed to exist.

Or when the Chief of Police plows through a red because he's busy on his laptop, and the insurance will not pay out because he was on official business, which he technically always is when driving. Cause he's a cop.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well there's your problem, you took 202W further than the 143. I avoid that bit of freeway like the plague (I think the only ones I drive less often are the 51 and I17, and I actually like 51) because even though it hasn't changed in years, everyone gets monumentally stupid on those exits approaching I10.

It's bizarre, because US60 has as many / more lane-ends between the 101 and I10, yet you never seem to get this poo poo.

But I live on 14th st and Osborn, and the 51 -> 202 -> 87/Beeline is the most direct way I can take the highway to Fountain Hills, right? I mean, because gently caress Shea blvd.

Maybe I should just get off at 44th street and take surface streets (like Thomas) over to 16th. I am not used to big cities at all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CannonFodder posted:

And when they go 90 through a red light and plow through a car that was making a left on green in the intersection before the PO crested the hill, it's the fault of the dead granny and her dead grandkids, not the cop chasing a car that was never confirmed to exist.

Or when the Chief of Police plows through a red because he's busy on his laptop, and the insurance will not pay out because he was on official business, which he technically always is when driving. Cause he's a cop.
My brother was T-boned and his car flipped multiple times after a cop ran a red light, permanent nerve damage. That was about 4-5 years ago, the city keeps pushing the court date back because they can. The justice system and the people that protect us. :newlol:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Saw a peculiar accident today, somehow A new Hyundai Santa fe managed to flip upside down laying across 2 lanes on a 3 lane one way road. Should've stopped to grab a picture but I was already late as a fire truck was blocking off the road and attending to the accident. It's a nice warm day today, clear conditions, no ice because it's all melted.

I just want to know how, because that's impressive :psyduck:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The other day I was stopped at a red light and saw a car with probationary plates with one of those phone-holders that suction cups onto the window set up square above the steering wheel and the driver had her phone in the holder and was texting :psyduck: I can't imagine how much that would gently caress up your ability to see the road properly while you're driving and I just hope she gets pulled over and told to knock it off before it becomes an ingrained habit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

The Midniter posted:

The weirdest part of the story is the (luckily) one and only injured person, who was sitting in the front passenger seat. After the authorities were notified and on their way to the scene, I could see her kind of slowly writhing back and forth in her seat. She raised her leg high in the air in front of her and I didn't really understand what she was doing. The fire truck shows up and cuts the side of the car off and puts her on a stretcher. Come to find out, she had no arms. Obviously born that way, what she was doing raising her leg in the air was unbuckling her seat belt with her foot. It's pretty interesting in retrospect and while she had some blood running down the side of her face, she wasn't critical or anything.

If y'all had been of sounder mind, this could've been a once in a lifetime chance to prank the paramedics

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

stevewm posted:

I don't care if they where old. I am 30 with no debt but my mortgage and I intend to keep it that way. I am not going to be saddled with $100k in medical debt. The insurance company is going to pay; it is what they are there to do.

Good luck with this. Get a lawyer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cage posted:

My brother was T-boned and his car flipped multiple times after a cop ran a red light, permanent nerve damage. That was about 4-5 years ago, the city keeps pushing the court date back because they can. The justice system and the people that protect us. :newlol:

We had this happen in Houston a few years ago.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/03/montrose_fire_truck_crash.php

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Charges-possible-after-bicyclist-hurt-in-HFD-1639045.php

Short version: two fire trucks collide at speed and crush a woman on a bicycle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I imagine it like the mythbusters episode, but with a bicyclist instead of a Fiat:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I have been watching this Youtube channel pretty much non-stop for the past two days or so and I have to say that if there is anything that's more :stonklol: than Russian dashcam videos, it's StopHam videos. They're also from Russia, unsurprisingly.

In short, a bunch of kids go around Moscow (and occasionally St. Petersburg) and harass drivers who drive on pedestrian paths or sidewalks, doublepark or block sidewalks and pedestrian crossings. If the drivers don't comply, they stick a large, hard to remove sticker on the windshield of the offending car, often in the presence of the driver. As you can imagine, tensions fly high, people get pushed around a bit or take a ride on someones hood for a hundred meters or so, and it's extremely surprising nobody has got seriously hurt yet.

Unfortunately, not all of the videos are subtitled in English, but those that are are a good watch.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tonton Macoute posted:

I have been watching this Youtube channel pretty much non-stop for the past two days or so and I have to say that if there is anything that's more :stonklol: than Russian dashcam videos, it's StopHam videos. They're also from Russia, unsurprisingly.

In short, a bunch of kids go around Moscow (and occasionally St. Petersburg) and harass drivers who drive on pedestrian paths or sidewalks, doublepark or block sidewalks and pedestrian crossings. If the drivers don't comply, they stick a large, hard to remove sticker on the windshield of the offending car, often in the presence of the driver. As you can imagine, tensions fly high, people get pushed around a bit or take a ride on someones hood for a hundred meters or so, and it's extremely surprising nobody has got seriously hurt yet.

Unfortunately, not all of the videos are subtitled in English, but those that are are a good watch.

I hate you so much for linking that. I need to go to bed but theres 120 more videos to watch!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EbolaIvory posted:

I hate you so much for linking that. I need to go to bed but theres 120 more videos to watch!

I watched the first one, and so far my conclusion is that people in Russia just don't give a poo poo about other people.

For instance, the driver of the Range Rover stopped in the middle of the street because he had to get out and chat with someone he knew. Sure, just throw your car right in the middle of the street with the flashers on and get out to have a chat. And then he gets all incredulous when they ask him to move his car because he's blocking traffic.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KozmoNaut posted:

And then he gets all incredulous when they ask him to move his car because he's blocking traffic.

Sounds like something someone here in America would do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer full of RPGs, and a single man standing in the back. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets a godamned RPG through the windshield.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

In a perfect world, the NJ turnpike would not inexplicably split into literal two highways - one for trucks, one for cars. Three lanes into two three-lane roads, for a few miles, which then merge back into a single three lane road.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

In a perfect world, every time three lanes has to merge down to two, or two to one, there would be three warning signs. At the first one would be a giant flailing arm inflatable tube man, to draw attention. At the second one would be a thirty foot tall grim reaper, holding the "Right Lane Closes, Merge left" sign in his bony hands, out over the lanes.

At the final, scrolling-lamp erectable traffic sign would be a tractor trailer full of RPGs, and a single man standing in the back. Any car that he witnesses diving right, because the line is shorter, gets a godamned RPG through the windshield.

RPGs are expensive, and bad for emissions. I much prefer that the license plate be recorded and a pack full of wild dogs is waiting in their home for them when they return.

Natural. Personal. Everyone likes dogs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 12, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MrYenko posted:

Isn't zipper merging more efficient because you don't end up with a huge backup?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

I'm forwarding this to my Senator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I only post this because in this instance, no one was hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uA5Cn8Um4w

MrYenko posted:

Do you realize that it's most efficient for everyone who's already in that lane to use basically all of the lane that is closing and people in the lane next to it behave properly and zipper merge?

Yeah, getting two lanes of traffic to behave seems like an impossibility, but it's the most effective use of road space for everyone.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Do you realize that it's most efficient for everyone who's already in that lane to use basically all of the lane that is closing and people in the lane next to it behave properly and zipper merge?

Yeah, getting two lanes of traffic to behave seems like an impossibility, but it's the most effective use of road space for everyone.

I'm not talking about people trying to zipper merge. No one here knows what that is. I'm talking about the people that will dive to the right of already-zipper-merging traffic, trying to be the absolute first one through the bottleneck. They'll use the shoulder, whatever it takes to be first. I saw one last night go through the cones, inside the closed area, and get stopped by highway Patrol for being a giant flaming toolbox. It was a rare moment of justice.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Saw some stubborn old battle-axe loading groceries into her car this morning. She pulled it right up to the store so that one wheel was resting comfortably in the fire lane while the other three were up on the sidewalk where the shopping carts are... presumably to avoid the minor amount of snow we're getting at the moment. She then did a 19-point turn trying to back it out between the gates that were setup to prevent people from doing this very thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MrYenko posted:

I'm not talking about people trying to zipper merge. No one here knows what that is. I'm talking about the people that will dive to the right of already-zipper-merging traffic, trying to be the absolute first one through the bottleneck.

If there's room for them to do that, then the other people are zipper-merging too early.

The real problem in all these scenarios is that the people who have already merged need to speed the gently caress up. Really everyone needs to, if you want to carry the same amount of volume of cars through a smaller pipe you all have to increase speed, but people want to rubberneck it through whatever constriction they're going through, and it just makes everything worse.

It's also an argument that if the DMV needs to lower the speed limit for a construction zone or something, they need to do it some two miles before the merge, not immediately afterwards. Slow down below the speed you need to be at, speed up as part of the zipper merging process, maximize use of blacktop etc.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Solkanar512 posted:

Isn't zipper merging more efficient because you don't end up with a huge backup?

This is such a bullshit mythical concept. "Isn't full communism the most egalitarian distribution of resources?" Yeah sure maybe whatever but uhhhh...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think the biggest problem is that they don't put ramps before construction zones to launch cars over them Dukes of Hazzard style.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Traffic backs up at a merge because you're trying to cram the same volume of vehicles into half the space. Even if it's a perfect merge people are going to be on the brakes and it's going to gum everything up.

I'm no traffic engineer but it says to me that anyone designing a highway system that constantly splits and combines lanes is a goddamn idiot. Like, say, 290 in Chicago. :suicide:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

I'm no traffic engineer but it says to me that anyone designing a highway system that constantly splits and combines lanes is a goddamn idiot. Like, say, 290 every goddamn interstate in Chicago. :suicide:

There we go. That's a little more accurate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Traffic backs up at a merge because you're trying to cram the same volume of vehicles into half the space. Even if it's a perfect merge people are going to be on the brakes and it's going to gum everything up.

I'm no traffic engineer but it says to me that anyone designing a highway system that constantly splits and combines lanes is a goddamn idiot. Like, say, 290 in Chicago. :suicide:

What loving kills me is walking lanes. In the truck avoid certain towns because of it. if i'm forced to deal with it, i drive like an rear end in a top hat and gently caress everybody but me. This is what i'm talking about. http://goo.gl/3XK6yU

If you zoom in, you can see you come in in, lane 1, then lane 2 opens up on the left and lane 1 turns into a turning lane at a stop light, then lane 3 opens up on the left and lane 2 turns into a turning lane at the next stop light, then lane 4 opens up and a couple lights down lane 3 turns into a turning lane. You're forced to change lane repeatedly, which in traffic trying to take off from stop lights in a loaded truck turns into a loving war because EVERYBODY needs to be ahead of you enough to start passing you before the lane even opens up. Basically, your choices are to park in the loving turning lane with your signal light on trying to get into the go-strait lane, or be the rear end in a top hat keeping traffic to 30 in a 70 zone because the lights are all out of time as well.

People do the dumbest poo poo, you're stuck in the turning lane, they want to turn, so they try zipping around you on the left and cut back in front of you, further trapping you in the lane they need and you want to get out of.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

This is such a bullshit mythical concept. "Isn't full communism the most egalitarian distribution of resources?" Yeah sure maybe whatever but uhhhh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPby71TNC0

No need to get angry here buddy. Why don't you explain to me what's so awful about "taking turns" that is better than having a huge backup because everyone merged way too early instead?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure a video that shows traffic moving at a crawl for both merge styles is all that useful in this debate, other than proving that merges are terrible things.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Maybe when they have vehicles merging from two lanes into one they should put speed boosters in the road surface so that more cars can go through the one lane section?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

GramCracker posted:

Sounds like something someone here in America would do.

I have witnessed similar poo poo in the UK, there's a small rat run nearby that locals use to avoid the high street, its a narrow road, with heavy parking on each side, and it's not uncommon to have to stop to allow oncoming traffic to be able to pass you, such as if there is a big van parked or someone decided a few feet from the kerb was good enough.

Driving home a few nights back, a big Mitsubishi 4x4 that's 1 car ahead of me stops, hard, leans out of the window and starts shouting to her friend walking down the street. They proceed to chat amiably, with the mitsu blocking both lanes. Took about 10 seconds for the horns to start, which she ignored, until a little old lady coming the other way gave her a mouthful. Bless you little old lady!

Also, it seems I need a louder horn.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure a video that shows traffic moving at a crawl for both merge styles is all that useful in this debate, other than proving that merges are terrible things.

The point isn't that it's faster but rather that it takes up a shorter length of road. This reduces the overall impact of a lane closure for everyone.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 12, 2014

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

The point isn't that it's faster but rather that it takes up a shorter length of road. This reduces the overall impact of a lane closure for everyone.

It's a disingenuous argument. There isn't a huge backup "because everyone merged way too early", there's a backup because Driver A tried to zipper merge and Driver B, behind Driver A but already in the proper lane, hit the brakes. At least one of Driver A and Driver B is a dipshit in this scenario (either A merged way too late and cut off B, B was following too close, or some combination therein) but there's your backup.

The same argument for zipper merging also works in reverse: if everybody would just get in the non-closing lane as soon as possible, slowdown would be minimal and everyone could just keep trucking along.

It's the one guy up at the actual lane's closure trying to force his way in/some poor schlub pitying aforementioned stopped car and stopping to let him over that causes the backup, and it'll happen regardless of what merger theory you subscribe to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My buddy's a traffic engineer, and every time something like that comes up in conversation, he's quick to point out that people zippering in at the merge point is much more efficient than everyone merging early. It caught me by surprise, because I've been driving for awhile getting pissed off at people who merge at the very end when I merged early - I guess it's an incompetent rage because I feel that they "should have thought ahead like I did HA HA!" and they should be punished for their "stupidity" by having to wait. Turns out that I'm completely wrong: while people merging at the end of the merge lane may make my trip take a little longer (I have to wait for 2 cars instead of just one, etc), by reducing the overall length of backed up traffic (potentially across more stop lights and intersections) zippering at the end saves more time from everyone's day.

That doesn't mean that I still don't feel a small pang of anger against people who are (irrationally, I know), to me, "beating the system," even if they're correct in doing so. And people who will exit their current lane to run up to the lane end point to merge back in are still causing trouble for everyone; any lane change maneuver in traffic, in or out, increases travel time for everyone in a lane ending circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oldskool posted:

The same argument for zipper merging also works in reverse: if everybody would just get in the non-closing lane as soon as possible, slowdown would be minimal and everyone could just keep trucking along.

Unfortunately even that doesn't work. This is sort of an illustration of why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M

The basic idea is that anyone tapping the brakes generates a ripple effect behind them and if there's too much traffic it generates a jam. Basically merges are terrible and the only solution is to reduce the number of cars until no one has to navigate around anyone else.