Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

TheBizzness posted:

This is an overreaction to a throw away sentence.

So he really is being Britta here.

edit: I am TIRED of starting new pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ravane posted:

I'm just tired of the demarcation of all vegetarians as rear end in a top hat hippies. That joke is as old and stereotypical as all black people loving watermelon and all gay people being effeminate guys with severely impaired speech. Are you making a funny joke? No, you're just being an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

I hate to be the Britta here, but seriously it's 2014, make a new goddamn joke. At least Community doesn't always reuse the same jokes over and over again.

Oh my god what?!

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

:shrug:

Maybe I just like different aspects of Community than you do. You like childish antics, tired catchphrases and pointless wackiness. I like interesting, multifaceted characters, word play and genre subversion. Neither of us is wrong in enjoying the aspects that we enjoy and just because an episode leans too heavily on pointless wackiness (or, on the other hand, deep character study) doesn't mean the series overall isn't for me (or you).

If you're going to try to pull the "no wrong way to enjoy this product" schtick to make yourself appear reasonable, maybe don't veneer it with "but your way of enjoyment is childish, tired, and pointless".

Community has really been on a roll with these last few episodes. Jeff's classist comedy routine, true to reality down to the bleeped swear, was just perfect. The episode would have been worth it just to hear Banks enunciate 'MeowMeowBeenz', but I really wish this somehow could have been stretched to 30-40 minutes. A lot of it felt rushed, but they still hit their notes.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Lord Of Texas posted:

If you're going to try to pull the "no wrong way to enjoy this product" schtick to make yourself appear reasonable, maybe don't veneer it with "but your way of enjoyment is childish, tired, and pointless".

Irish Joe is literally a terrible poster.

Why is this thread full of such poo poo lately? This has been a really good season! Now we're saying "the way I like this is better than the way you do" and "making fun of vegans is the same as making fun of gays and blacks". Is it the summer? Is there actually not a new season right now?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think season 3 and 4 ruined this thread. I used to love reading the Community thread during season 2, even between episodes. About halfway into season 3 I just had to stop reading it altogether because it always just descended into vicious arguments between people who insisted the show was still as good as it had ever been and people who hated everything about it but wouldn't stop posting every week.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ah, there's the Community thread I know. I was getting worried because we seemed a bit short on vitriol lately.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 10, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MrAristocrates posted:

Ah, there's the Community thread I know. I was getitng worried because we seemed a bit short on vitriol lately.

The P&R Thread is even worse right now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The P&R Thread is even worse right now.

Offtopic, but I watched P&R for the first time in two and a half years last week and man that show's writing situation is dire. It's everything I hoped that TV show wouldn't become.

I'm guess I'm saying that we have it pretty drat good with Community. It still has interesting things to say.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Aw, Parks & Recreation sucks now?!? What happened?!? That show used to be awesome!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's sucked for a while now. I haven't even watched the last few.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

And now we've hit that part of the thread cycle where we talk about the state of the thread itself. I completely agree that season 4 probably ruined any chance of an enjoyable thread, and holy poo poo, do I hate actually having an opinion of an Internet message board's thread for a television show.

big mean giraffe posted:

It's sucked for a while now. I haven't even watched the last few.

"Sucked" is a really strong choice of words. Yeah, it's not as good as it used to be, but still would be a lot, lot worse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

Aw, Parks & Recreation sucks now?!? What happened?!? That show used to be awesome!

Basically they had a season of a long boring election arc, then Leslie was on council, then she was recalled now she's back in the parks department. The side character adventures are much more interesting.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoy the television programs, "Community" and "Parks and Recreation," and discussing them with friends.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Not sure, but I think it's a much better example of a show turning its characters into caricatures. Community may have dipped its toes into this a little, but in the latest P&R, Andy thought he was immune to bee stings because he was stung once before.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Last Chance posted:

Not sure, but I think it's a much better example of a show turning its characters into caricatures. Community may have dipped its toes into this a little, but in the latest P&R, Andy thought he was immune to bee stings because he was stung once before.

TBH that sounds like something that Andy would say/think.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Last Chance posted:

but in the latest P&R, Andy thought he was immune to bee stings because he was stung once before.

...are you saying that's out of character for Andy? You know he's always been that dumb, right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

...are you saying that's out of character for Andy? You know he's always been that dumb, right?

Not out of character, no. But it just felt wrong to me. He's dumb, yeah, real dumb, but not knowing that a bee has a stinger that can pierce your skin is just silly.

Maybe not the best example, but it's the first one that popped in my head.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Not out of character, no. But it just felt wrong to me. He's dumb, yeah, real dumb, but not knowing that a bee has a stinger that can pierce your skin is just silly.

Maybe not the best example, but it's the first one that popped in my head.

It's also silly to keep all of your bills in your freezer. Or to think that giving a computer monitor a whack would help to recover missing files. Or that frying marbles isn't the best way to test if a smoke detector is working. Or to not be aware that the Grand Canyon is not the same as Mount Rushmore. Or to think that Hogwarts is a real place. Andy has always been just silly.

Also, it's worth noting, Andy didn't get stung at all, so he was obviously right. :colbert:

Just so that I'm at least somewhat on-topic, haha... has there been any sign of a Troy update in the latest episode? I looked for one, but I didn't spot anything. (Although there is a bunch of new writing on that same chalkboard that I can't make out.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 10, 2014

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I've watched this latest episode of Community like 5 times now. It's just that good. It keeps on giving.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Screw it, I'm just crazy today.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 10, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Community Thread: ABC - Aping Bad Comedy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ravane posted:

Read the parks and rec thread, as a similar discussion is going on there as well. Racial and gay stereotypes aren't okay, yet it's somehow okay to discriminate against a community who just chooses to avoid meat for religious, social, or health reasons? It's not like a whole thrush of vegetarians came onto this thread and told people how to think. So why do the opposite and act like belligerent assholes to all veg's in general?

I know it's not an issue that matters to most communities including SomethingAwful, but I figured I'd bring it up because people like me get bullied simply on the basis of food choices for a majority of their lives. And it's all because of that negative stereotype. It's just food. Why does anyone make a bigger issue out of it than it really is?

lol. Guys, I'm a vegetarian too. We're not all like this.

I dunno if this is some sort of meta-joke and a satirical take on the ~*SJW*~, but you're not helping your case by comparing people who get made fun of for things they're born with (race, sexual preference) vs people who just choose to not eat meat.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 10, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Ravane posted:

Read the parks and rec thread, as a similar discussion is going on there as well. Racial and gay stereotypes aren't okay, yet it's somehow okay to discriminate against a community who just chooses to avoid meat for religious, social, or health reasons?

Yes, because vegetarian isn't an actual persecuted minority in the real world, only on SJW tumblr bullshit.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

nutranurse posted:

lol. Guys, I'm a vegetarian too. We're not all like this.

Maybe it's late, but I'm just tired of being stereotyped and being called "human garbage."

It's just felt like a really childish joke and came off as abrasive more than anything.

Perhaps I just internalized the joke and felt offended. I apologize.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Ravane posted:

Read the parks and rec thread, as a similar discussion is going on there as well. Racial and gay stereotypes aren't okay, yet it's somehow okay to discriminate against a community who just chooses to avoid meat for religious, social, or health reasons? It's not like a whole thrush of vegetarians came onto this thread and told people how to think. So why do the opposite and act like belligerent assholes to all veg's in general?

I know it's not an issue that matters to most communities including SomethingAwful, but I figured I'd bring it up because people like me get bullied simply on the basis of food choices for a majority of their lives. And it's all because of that negative stereotype. It's just food. Why does anyone make a bigger issue out of it than it really is?

No need to spaz, Jason Mraz

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, wow. I really hit a nerve. It really was just a flippant remark. No harm meant. Now toss out those pointy teeth of yours and live your life!

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha, wow. I really hit a nerve. It really was just a flippant remark. No harm meant. Now toss out those pointy teeth of yours and live your life!

We're good man, I just Britta'd all over the thread. Call it temporary insanity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

big mean giraffe posted:

Yes, because vegetarian isn't an actual persecuted minority in the real world, only on SJW tumblr bullshit.

It's persecuted in the way Christians are persecuted, things they don't like are allowed to exist.

ANYWAYS, I noticed a lot of shows are being renewed, any news for Community's fate?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Ravane posted:

Maybe it's late, but I'm just tired of being stereotyped and being called "human garbage."

It's just felt like a really childish joke and came off as abrasive more than anything.

Perhaps I just internalized the joke and felt offended. I apologize.

Are you actively insulted in real by for being a vegetarian? Or is this just Internet-rage? Either way, anyone that makes fun of a vegetarian to their face is an rear end in a top hat, and probably the same type of people who laugh at people reading books or riding bikes. Simply put, relax, that person is making fun of the rest of us too.

twistedmentat posted:

It's persecuted in the way Christians are persecuted, things they don't like are allowed to exist.

ANYWAYS, I noticed a lot of shows are being renewed, any news for Community's fate?

The latest tv-by-the-numbers news has it as a toss-up between canceled and renewed. But, Sean Saves the World, and The Micheal J. Fox Show are both canceled, so... who knows.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 10, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

El Tortuga posted:

Are you actively insulted in real by for being a vegetarian? Or is this just Internet-rage? Either way, anyone that makes fun of a vegetarian to their face is an rear end in a top hat, and probably the same type of people who laugh at people reading books or riding bikes. Simply put, relax, that person is making fun of the rest of us too.

The latest tv-by-the-numbers news has it as a toss-up between canceled and renewed. But, Sean Saves the World, and The Micheal J. Fox Show are both canceled, so... who knows.

The reason I internalized it was because I was a really skinny and tiny hindu vegetarian kid in highschool. I got beat up every day and force fed beef simply because seniors knew it was against my religion and that it'd piss me off. Same thing happened to the Jewish kids who didn't eat pork. My high school was pretty intolerant, screw that poo poo. Sorry for the internet rage, I just slipped up. :doh:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 10, 2014

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Ravane posted:

The reason I internalized it was because I was a really skinny and tiny hindu vegetarian kid in highschool. I got beat up every day and force fed beef simply because seniors knew it was against my religion and that it'd piss me off. Same thing happened to the Jewish kids who didn't eat pork. My high school was pretty intolerant, screw that poo poo. Sorry for the internet rage, I just slipped up. :doh:

Where the gently caress did you go to school? Now I feel bad because real life got involved.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hey, if we can all just agree that Britta is the One True Five, then we're fine.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you guys can't appreciate the hilarious lack of self-awareness in a person mocking lovely hack stand-up while also making a lovely hack joke about vegetarians then you need to lighten up and quit tilting at those SJW windmills so much.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I like how the fives still had to keep up their charades at the top. Hickey saying "it's my birthday!" with false enthusiasm was great. I laughed hardest at his scoff just before the theme, though. He really is a great addition to the group.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

superjew posted:

I like how the fives still had to keep up their charades at the top. Hickey saying "it's my birthday!" with false enthusiasm was great. I laughed hardest at his scoff just before the theme, though. He really is a great addition to the group.

He's really great and I hope that if there is a season 6 he will be a part of it. He just works so well in a comedy like this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Banks' commitment to Better Call Saul might be a problem but I definitely hope they can get him back in some capacity.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Last Chance posted:

The worst example of what you're suggesting about Parks & Rec is how Ron has developed the past two seasons. He was always a hyper-conservative libertarian of sorts, but there was always a twisted sort of common sense wisdom to it all. It was stranely relatable, and really funny in a subtle way. Even things Ron didn't understand, he acknowledged and knew enough about to explain why it's pointless. Now, all that is exaggerated to the point that it isn't logically grounded within the story anymore, and just comes off as "odd guys does weird poo poo." Not sure why, but for me, the moment where he is yelling at an iPad over a Vine post was where I thought they removed common sense.

Now just to be somewhat on-topic - That last episode of Community is high atop my list of all-time favorites. I absolutely loved it. It took me a minute to realize where they were going with it, but as soon as the whole dystopian theme emerged, I couldn't look away. Although I'm a big fan of Tim and Eric, so that was an added high-point for me.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Irish Joe posted:

:shrug:

Maybe I just like different aspects of Community than you do. You like childish antics, tired catchphrases and pointless wackiness. I like interesting, multifaceted characters, word play and genre subversion. Neither of us is wrong in enjoying the aspects that we enjoy and just because an episode leans too heavily on pointless wackiness (or, on the other hand, deep character study) doesn't mean the series overall isn't for me (or you).

*puffs bubble pipe*

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
drat, this thread has me agree with Aaron Sorkin's internet fan soap box from the West Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Doronin posted:

The worst example of what you're suggesting about Parks & Rec is how Ron has developed the past two seasons. He was always a hyper-conservative libertarian of sorts, but there was always a twisted sort of common sense wisdom to it all. It was stranely relatable, and really funny in a subtle way. Even things Ron didn't understand, he acknowledged and knew enough about to explain why it's pointless. Now, all that is exaggerated to the point that it isn't logically grounded within the story anymore, and just comes off as "odd guys does weird poo poo." Not sure why, but for me, the moment where he is yelling at an iPad over a Vine post was where I thought they removed common sense.

I'm still not seeing this. I just watched the episode where he was fixing the empty third floor with his son, and it was a perfect example of what his character is and should be. P&R has kind of plateaued, but I think it's still as good as it has always been.

To keep with the Community discussion, Season 5 has been hit or miss like Season 3, but the lows are much much less low. This past episode was awesome to boot. I also don't think I watched a single episode of Season 4

• Locked thread