Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Senor Candle posted:

I don't think the interface is really any different. I'm not really seeing what you're having a problem with though?

I seem to remember there being a bunch of filters I could use to narrow down my searches. Now I'm just clicking on Thor (1966-1996) and scrolling through 200 covers to get to the one I want. Might just need to click around until I find the old interface I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Devo posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I couldn't find anywhere to put in the SXSW99 code when I bought a month of Marvel unlimited. I've been meaning to resubscribe anyway so no big deal but I'm just throwing that out there. It also seems like it's much harder to browse for the comics I want compared to when I was subscribed a couple years ago.

e: like I'm trying to get to the start of Simonson's Thor run and I can't figure out a way to do it that doesn't involve scrolling and scrolling and scrolling
Search by creator and then sort by series.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Fishylungs posted:

For the record, I think the web interface is worse now than when I got Unlimited for a year in... 2008? And all of their mobile apps I believe are pure garbage.

It works great on the iPad.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Comixology all seems to be working fine for me now so thankfully their outage wasn't as bad as last time.

Fear Itself sale is on which is :siren:a terrible book not worth even the reduced price :siren: but it also includes tie-ins and as such some of Kieron Gillen/Dougie Braithwaite's Journey into Mystery which is well worth the money.

So y'know if you have any interest in Loki you should give them a read.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sleepingbuddha posted:

It works great on the iPad.

I won't say great. The way it loads pages is pretty crap, having no good way to move between issues also sucks. Out of the 3 comic apps I have installed, it's definitely the worst of the 3.

That said, it's still great to have an iPad app and it's perfectly usable.

Waterhaul posted:

Comixology all seems to be working fine for me now so thankfully their outage wasn't as bad as last time.

Fear Itself sale is on which is :siren:a terrible book not worth even the reduced price :siren: but it also includes tie-ins and as such some of Kieron Gillen/Dougie Braithwaite's Journey into Mystery which is well worth the money.

Journey Into Mystery is the 100% best thing to come out of Fear Itself.

Uncanny X-Men is another very good tie in to Fear Itself. I'd also recommend Avengers Academy tie in, though I'm not sure how it would be standalone. The whole series is good, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a free stuff rollout on Comixology right now http://comixology.tumblr.com/geekstagegiveaway
If you've somehow skipped Locke & Key so far, the first volume is in there.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a free stuff rollout on Comixology right now http://comixology.tumblr.com/geekstagegiveaway
If you've somehow skipped Locke & Key so far, the first volume is in there.

Awesome! Thanks for this. I've been meaning to get into Locke & Key and this just saved me some cash.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

Waterhaul posted:

I just want to point out that the promo e-mail I got for this sale is headed "Fear Itself 99¢ Sale: Save on the groundbreaking event today!"...

"Fear Itself"..."groundbreaking"

Rrriiight, whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night, Comixology.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I spend like $20 a week on Comixology and I didn't get any e-mails :/ I must have turned email alerts off or something?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Flameingblack posted:

I spend like $20 a week on Comixology and I didn't get any e-mails :/ I must have turned email alerts off or something?

I get emails from them but I haven't seen the free giveaway stuff mentioned.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The Marvel Unlimited app on iPad just got another update. This one actually does seem like it improves the reading experience. There is a "Downloading Comic" box that comes up before you start reading so I guess it's doing a better buffering job than before. So far this morning I haven't seen one blank page so hopefully that's a thing of the past. Also, you get an option to read the next issue once you finish the one you are reading.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

loudog999 posted:

The Marvel Unlimited app on iPad just got another update.

Seems like they rewrote the app to be iOS native (Android soon) and faster. And added multimedia capabilities?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57620087-93/finally-marvels-ready-for-you-to-hear-its-comics-scoop/

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Speaking of SXSW Comixology deals, there's currently a 100 comic bundle available for just :10bux:.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is talking about buying unused digital codes considered :filez:? I mean by using the only if a creator gets paid model you could never discuss buying physical used comics then. It's a good way to get comics you might otherwise not get for $4, but you would get for $2 or if a mega event occurs with a crap ton of tie ins.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 9, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't think it's a problem. There's never been any talk about organizing a buy/trade system here, but would probably be cool if you wanted to set something up in SAMart.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

loudog999 posted:

The Marvel Unlimited app on iPad just got another update. This one actually does seem like it improves the reading experience. There is a "Downloading Comic" box that comes up before you start reading so I guess it's doing a better buffering job than before. So far this morning I haven't seen one blank page so hopefully that's a thing of the past. Also, you get an option to read the next issue once you finish the one you are reading.

MASSIVE improvement.

Much smoother, no randomly missing pages in a comic. And when you get to the end of the comic, it offers a button for the next issue. The reading experience is actually good.

Haven't tried the AR thing yet, but I've spent a long time wondering why Comixology doesn't include this feature.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

I don't think it's a problem. There's never been any talk about organizing a buy/trade system here, but would probably be cool if you wanted to set something up in SAMart.

Cool. I just remember the first time I mentioned it, someone got pissed and said they wanted the authors to get money, and well the conversation just kind of ended there. Physical copies just don't work for me, due to a young kid in the house and it's just so nice to be able to retrieve any comic I want from the cloud. I generally just use eBay at the moment, on average I pay anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 per new Marvel issue vs paying $4.00 new. I mean for me, I must have bought about 30 issues so far and generally I would get the codes within an hour or two, with some extreme outliers taking a day. So if I could just do it here, so much the better. One near thing was I got all of Age of Ultron for about $7, and you can often find great deals on trades and collected events.

The only thing I've been wondering is how does listing a local store as the source, when redeeming it with marvel, affect the store, ie does it hurt or help the store. Because if he hurts them I'd just try and use a misc type option.

Oh I tried out the new Marvel Unlimited app and holy crap, is it a ton better than it used to be, I also like the audio enhancement options they've launched with Winter Solider. It's a really neat concept.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

gfanikf posted:

The only thing I've been wondering is how does listing a local store as the source, when redeeming it with marvel, affect the store, ie does it hurt or help the store. Because if he hurts them I'd just try and use a misc type option.

I'm assuming it helps them. The problem I have is that there are two Acme Comics in IL, ironically the two closest stores to me. I hope I'm picking the right one. :ohdear:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a thread in Games for giving away spare Steam keys. There shouldn't be a problem setting up the same thing with codes for BSS.

e: Oh. Selling instead of trading or giving is probably different.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 10, 2014

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

I'm assuming it helps them. The problem I have is that there are two Acme Comics in IL, ironically the two closest stores to me. I hope I'm picking the right one. :ohdear:

That's my assumption. I just hope I'm not giving bad sales data that could cause them grief with distributors.

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a thread in Games for giving away spare Steam keys. There shouldn't be a problem setting up the same thing with codes for BSS.

e: Oh. Selling instead of trading or giving is probably different.

Oh if I have an extra one I'll just dump it in this thread. I mean more the discussion of where are good places to get them, what's a fair price, etc.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
That link posted earlier (http://comixology.tumblr.com/geekstagegiveaway) most of today's free comics are up. Among them is the Atomic Robo digital only edition (Two Fisted Tales) and it's great! I highly recommend the free pack that comes with that if anything. It's a great example of digital only comics, and it's Atomic Robo!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I buy a lot of digital codes off of the Bleeding Cool forums but if there was a goon organized effort I'd much rather join that.

EDIT: Avengers Arena (and Academy) a Marvel Monday Miracle!

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 10, 2014

Prize Chicken
Feb 21, 2007

I love the hell out of Marvel Comics Unlimited, even when it was buggier. The benefits outweigh the problems. For the $60 it cost last year, I probably read more than 800 comics. I wish it kept track. Just in the last week and a half, I started reading Fantastic Four from #1 and I'm in the 140's (they go by really fast).

The one thing that is still kind of messy with it is that sometimes I'll add an issue to my library that should not have appeared in the Unlimited app, and once it's there, it seems to occupy a slot on the offline issues. Even if you remove it from your library. Currently, I can only keep 10 offline out of 12. If I try to add an eleventh, it pops up a warning that I've already reached my max of 12 issues. I think the culprits this time were a too-recent All-New X-men and the Warren Ellis Moon Knight #1 (the latter I thought might have been offered up as a promo to get readers to pick up new issues).

It tends to clear up after a few weeks. Part of the reason I used offline so heavily was to have it reliably download to the device. I may not have to use it as much with this new update, since it seems to do a better job.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Man the new app is like 100% better. It still crashes a lot when I try to search for specific artists/writers or whatever, but other than that most of my problems with it are fixed. Still no good guided view though. :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Senor Candle posted:

Man the new app is like 100% better. It still crashes a lot when I try to search for specific artists/writers or whatever, but other than that most of my problems with it are fixed. Still no good guided view though. :(

Guided view is in. You can't double tap, but click the icon at the bottom that looks like 3 boxes to turn it on.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah but believe it or not it's terrible on every single book. It's bad enough to be completely useless. I don't really blame them though, they were adding like hundreds of books a week before and there is no way they had time to properly format all that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

My only gripe with the new iOS MU app is that some of the two page spreads get rendered as 1 page making them hard to read in landscape mode.

The embedded AR stuff is fuckin hype, tho(for the comics they've linked the AR stuff in)

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Uthor posted:

Image Comics and Top Shelf - DRM-free comics are still in the hands of the small guys, but Image opened up their entire catalog to PDF, CBR, and ePub downloads last year. Top Shelf followed suit at the beginning of this year at a smaller scale, but include discounted bundles with their physical books.

2000 AD also offers a boatload of DRM-free comics (which means you have no excuse not to buy all the complete Dredd case files!), and Heavy Metal also has some (although not that much).

kujeger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

kujeger posted:

2000 AD also offers a boatload of DRM-free comics (which means you have no excuse not to buy all the complete Dredd case files!), and Heavy Metal also has some (although not that much).

Cool, I'll add them. I don't want to put every single publisher ever on the list as it'll be way too much, but will do any of the bigger ones.

Oh, hey, I wanted to read Dredd: The Underbelly. Sweet!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

kujeger posted:

can you buy the Case Files with with the 2000AD iOS app?

if so I'm gonna be fuckin broke. Dreddin that.

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

I know Arena is pretty much dreck, but what's the general consensus on Avengers Academy?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Pretty good beginning gets bogged down in crossovers near the end.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

trip report:

2000AD app, iOS

Works great with US ipads, was able to buy the Dredd Case Files and it downloaded to my newsstand app thinger. Reading was crisp. Only down side was you couldn't stream the issue as it downloaded.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Just bought red Sonja collection the comics app, really happy about them, digital comics ftw

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
New Marvel app is so much better, except that I can't find a way to read landscape and fit 1 page to width, or pinch to zoom, meaning I have to read portrait instead, which isn't as comfortable for me, so despite all the actual improvements, this is actually worse for me :,(

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day today includes 8 DC collections for $2.99. Comixology often matches these prices, but it doesn't look like they've done so yet.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

unl33t posted:

Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day today includes 8 DC collections for $2.99. Comixology often matches these prices, but it doesn't look like they've done so yet.
Here's the link

It features:
Justice League Vol 1
Wonder Woman Vol 1 (Buy this if you don't own it)
Green Lantern Vol 1
Aquaman Vol 1 (Also worth buying)
Justice League Dark Vol 1
Shazam! Vol 1 (Worth it)
Action Comics Vol 1
Green Arrow Vol 1

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

krakagar posted:

New Marvel app is so much better, except that I can't find a way to read landscape and fit 1 page to width, or pinch to zoom, meaning I have to read portrait instead, which isn't as comfortable for me, so despite all the actual improvements, this is actually worse for me :,(

It broke a bunch of these pages, unfortunately.

Everything else is a lot better.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just got Walking Dead Volume 20 for $1.84 on Kindle.

I also got volume 19 for 3 bucks when it came out. Seems like they deep discount them when the print drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There's a Waid DD sale with each of the 28 first issues at .99 a pop. BUT there's also a complete bundle with all 37 issues of the volume for 30 bucks. Ended up getting the bundle.