Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

AlternateAccount posted:

So why doesn't their logic of having imaginary bullshit have a noticeable affect on digital data being processed ever get applied to photography? Better gear makes for better display of your digital camera photos.

But then I think that there are probably are sperg-nerds who spend thousands on various displays and such, so never mind.

It's much, much, MUCH easier to objectively judge visual media. The comparison doesn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Digital photography nerds love zooming in on pixels, and since pixels can be directly compared to pixels from different photos taken with different equipment, it's easy to directly compare gear that way. It's extremely easy to compare color, contrast, sharpness, distortion, etc. And likewise for displays. There is a whole bunch poo poo involved with calibrating your display to industry standards. I think anybody claiming to have a "golden eye" when it comes to photography equipment would get laughed out of the industry pretty quick.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah, and most photographers understand the concept of "good enough" when it comes to things like sharpness.

Then again there are people who will spend untold thousands on camera stuff and only shoot test charts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The expensive gear widened your soundstage because it hosed up the phase.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

grack posted:

It's much, much, MUCH easier to objectively judge visual media. The comparison doesn't really work.

On the other hand, 'HDR' tone-mapping is popular

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Well yeah, you also have "sharpener" kernels or crazy over-saturation to make things look 'better' the same way "louder" sounds 'better' to the average joe even if it completely degrades the signal quality. Intensity vs Authenticity trade-offs are obviously subjective, but not exclusive to audio/video.

Although that makes me wonder how many of those 50k "studio quality+++ precision" rigs are just constantly tuned into a drowning smile.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I found this interesting. It's from whatsbestforum in a thread about an $8,400 power cable.

The author is the owner and lead designer of Atma-Sphere Music Systems.

I don't have the EE background to qualify what he's saying, but it echoes my personal view on power cables, etc., which is basically that they only make an audible difference when they're physically deficient. In other words, if you hear a measurable difference one of the two cables is basically broken.

What is very entertaining is how much hate he got from other people for making this post. It's apparently sacrilege to try and measure things to determine why you can hear a difference.

What he's saying is right enough to almost be credible: typical linear power supplies DO draw their current in peaks, and this can be a problem in large installations of fluorescent tubes, but we already solved this problem in high power switch mode supplies that use the same principle: active or passive PFC can be designed into equipment to remove this current distortion, and is often required for certain classes of equipment at high power levels.

The rest is also technically possible, but a) a well designed audio amplifier using negative feedback has a power supply rejection ratio of a loving ton at the frequencies he's talking about (120 Hz) and b) if you for some reason need more regulation you can... use a regulated power supply.

I'd love to hear what amplifier had a 30% reduction in power from a 1-2% mains voltage drop, for that to happen it would have had to be right at the clipping point, and let's not forget that power companies usually deliver voltage +-10% and basically no distortion-spec.

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

quote:

The addition of 24 karat gold fills the micro cracks and the empty spaces between the crystal boundaries to improve transmission properties, while also inhibiting the surface oxidation and tarnishing that will occur over time otherwise." These custom, precious metal fuses are also cryogenically treated. Finally, the Supreme fuses are treated with a proprietary quantum level process.
...these replacement super premium fuses are hand-made and tested in Germany.
http://www.electromod.co.uk/hifi-tuning-fuses.asp
Primary side fuses! The "Capacitor parallel to a rectifier" symbol is just a logo. The fuse is made of a "cryogenically treated, gold plated, etc." plain wire.
I wonder how they tested the particular fuse that some audiophile crazy can purchase? :downsrim:
There's no price on the above link, so I was curious:

quote:

Introductory pricing is $50 each for the 0.75" (5x20mm) small size and $75 each for the 1.25" (6.3x32mm) large size. The all silver tip-to-tip SilverStar fuses, and the original Gold-Plated fuses continue at prices ranging from $39.95 (small SilverStar and Gold-Plated) to $49.95 (large Gold-plated) and $59.95 (large SilverStar).
Here's more from this wonderful company:
http://www.hifi-tuning.com/index_eng.html

Nice power wooden strip including spikes for only $8500
STRADIVARI No. 6 - Reference Power Plant

Spikes on a power strip? Wasn't spikes initially invented to provide stability for heavy 70's speakers wobbling on 70's thick carpet?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

something_clever posted:

Spikes on a power strip? Wasn't spikes initially invented to provide stability for heavy 70's speakers wobbling on 70's thick carpet?

Yes they were. In the civilized world no-one has (or had) wall-to-wall carpet so they invented little pucks to put under the spikes instead of just, you know, not putting in spikes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
What the gently caress is a quantum level process?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

An expensivecheap process made to sound expensive.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
If yall are serious about starting a thing to prey on the weak-minded (but rich), my business teacher has a ridiculous amount of China connections and could proto stuff for insanely cheap. I actually mentioned it to him and he doesn't want to get attached directly because of the immorality of it (the way I pitched it was sell 100 $5000 power cables and walk away) but he'd have no problem being a middleman.

Really, just hype the poo poo out of something for a month or so on a couple other forums, whip up a site with 3 discontinued (fake) products and a new, improved, top of the line one, and disappear when we're rich. That's all it'd take. I could probably do something in wordpress like, tonight, if someone could CAD up a few progressive models and one to send to China, and we'll all be worth 6 figures by July.

Is it immoral? Kind of. Do I want to own a house in the near future? gently caress yes.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 1, 2014

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Sound insulation/paneling would work best, since it can make an actual objective difference to a listening experience when dog barks or thunderstorms are muffled. The only issue with morality is just how high the markup is, but that bad feeling can be negated with extra business for others by advising cusomters to solicite the services of a local a carpenter to install it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If huge markup is immoral, movie theatre popcorn is Stalin.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

..and people who put some techflex over a garden hose and a 50 cent power cable are literally hitler.

Edit: and an entire stick of glue from a hot glue gun :sun:

Willeh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 5, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

The smallest change you can make and still charge more for it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GWBBQ posted:

The smallest change you can make and still charge more for it.

This is why you're not allowed to talk about double blind testing - it's Schrödinger's cable. It's simultaneously the most amazing, incredible audio experience, and not. Testing it would collapse the waveform and ruin it!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
let's take a moment to stop mocking audiophiles, refresh ourselves, and do the exact opposite:

this is a popular image on imgur right now and I can't figure out why but it really bothers me

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

let's take a moment to stop mocking audiophiles, refresh ourselves, and do the exact opposite:

this is a popular image on imgur right now and I can't figure out why but it really bothers me

Psycho acoustics is a mad thing. It's not too far off the complete opposite of the fletcher Munson curve.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Look at these noobs boosting instead of cutting.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Louder is better!

(With ~+10dB boost around 8kHz that EQ preset would be more appropriately named "eardrum explosion".)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ynohtna posted:

Louder is better!

(With ~+10dB boost around 8kHz that EQ preset would be more appropriately named "eardrum explosion".)

I bought a CD called Earquake that came with two earplugs. Welp, that's my ear[word] story hope you enjoyed it. :tipshat:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Dude, you have to hear this!" *clip clip clip clip clipity clipclipclip* :speaker blows:

"Dude! Wtf?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ynohtna posted:

Louder is better!

Yeah I rebuilt it in iTunes on my end, then recreated the desired effect almost perfectly by just knocking up my desk fader up a few dB. Who knew!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I rebuilt it in iTunes on my end, then recreated the desired effect almost perfectly by just knocking up my desk fader up a few dB. Who knew!

I was able to recreate it by flicking the high and low boost switches on my MR5s to their +2 dB settings.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Every MP3 or smartphone forum ever has at least one "post your favorite EQ!" thread, with tons of absolutely ridiculous settings, including full boost/cut on all frequencies for some idiotic reason.

I've stuck with flat EQ settings for years, hasn't let me down yet.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Bet those eq settings sound amazing on Beats

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Now you guys have got me curious about measuring the phase and frequency response effects of the presets and the graphic in iTunes. For gently caress's sake.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty much every well reviewed headphone out there has its own "house curve" built in anyways. They measure +6db or so down low and gradually roll off above 8khz or so to -3db or so buy the upper end.

Given how close the speakers are to your ears, this is pretty much in line with what Dolby, THX, Audyssey and others do when calibrating a home setup versus a large commercial venue.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

Now you guys have got me curious about measuring the phase and frequency response effects of the presets and the graphic in iTunes. For gently caress's sake.

Post the results if you do. I'm honestly curious.

I spent last night toying with a Fisher console stereo from 1963. Apparently I'll be inheriting it from my grandma when the time comes. The cabinetry is in great shape, but the electronics are going to need some work, and the foam surrounds for the speaker drivers are obviously dead, given their age. The biggest thing for me will be figuring out how to get rid of the nasty 60 hertz hum.

In the end, it should make a nice piece for our master bedroom.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Edit: Mean-spirited joke. sorry.

bpower fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 8, 2014

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/9/5488484/neil-youngs-high-fidelity-ipod-competitor-will-cost-399

So there's this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I'm confused. Where's the :420: storage located?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

grack posted:

I'm confused. Where's the :420: storage located?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
A brief moment of (semi)clarity from one of them, amidst the bickering about whether it'll be good enough for their ears:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/neil-young-announces-launch-ponomusic-19703/index4.html#post304636

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I wonder if they're going to include a high quality audiophile grade USB cable so no bits are lost in transferring their files...

*edit: Actually in the comments there's people arguing over whether or not you'd be able to tell the difference between a flac/wav and a 320 mp3 "on a decent pair of speakers". I have an entire rack of kit for my PA which enable me to run the system completely flat from 30hz-20khz. I've played MANY mp3 files on it and compared them to wavs and flacs at high volume. I noticed no discernible difference, certainly gently caress all to care about.

...so what do they mean by 'decent' speakers if a flat system gives up very little in terms of difference?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 10, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The funny thing is that they argue like mad, but no one thinks to do an ABX test and find out for sure.

To be fair, there's more to good speakers than just frequency response. Phase coherence, impulse response, those sorts of things. It's very possible to make a speaker system or setup that responds within +/-1dB to any sine wave between 20Hz and 20kHz, but sounds absolutely awful when playing real material.

Luckily, a better-than-decent set of speakers don't have to cost an arm and a leg. I paid ~$800 for a set of Adam A5Xs, and apart from rolling off around 50hz due to their size, they are firmly in the "very good speakers indeed" category. They reveal errors in mastering so well, and if any shortcuts were taken during recording, they will find them. I admit it's a tradeoff, because while well-mastered material sounds amazing, badly mastered material sounds like exactly what it is; badly mastered.

And even using these high-quality studio monitors, I am unable to discern a difference between FLAC and 320kbit MP3. Same thing with my studio-grade headphones. Same sensitivity to bad mixes, same complete inability to discern between FLAC and 320kbit MP3.

E:

Speaking of 320kbit MP3:

quote:

Beats get you kicked out of any recording studio – at least for laughs. I use Klipsch Image S4 headphones for my iPod. They sound pretty good since I run all of my audio at 224 kbps VBR through my nano (otherwise I try to keep all audio at 320 kbps on my PC). But even at 320 kbps, which is the best you’re going to get on audio CDs that you buy from any store, it’s still compressed audio from the original WAV recordings. Granted, running the native WAV files would mean each song would probably average 40-50MB each instead of 7-9MB @ 320kbps. Still, the lossless audio does make a noticeable difference as long as you have speakers or headphones capable of reproducing it. So for Skullcandy and Beats owners, this really wouldn’t be the device for you. If you do happen to own good headsets from Bose, Sennheiser, Sony, etc. or are running studio monitors for speakers, this device would be phenomenal. I personally would be interested in it but I’d have to try it first. I’d keep my iPod for gym visits or running and I would potentially use this device for home audio. Hope it gets traction.

How is it possible to be this uninformed and ignorant? :psyduck:

At least some of them get it:

quote:

I study Electric Engineering.

If I go down like Walter White from Breaking Bad.

This is my backup plan.

:v:

E2: There's also this competing product from Sony:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/hd-walkman-digital-music-players/nwz-zx1#product_details_default

Take a look at the "Upscale your music collection" graph, it's glorious:

Easily on par with Creative's X-Fi famously bullshit Crystalizer graphs.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 10, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

If you do happen to own good headsets from Bose...

Found your problem.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KillHour posted:

Found your problem.

I know it's not in context here, but I really dislike automatic Bose hate. They aren't accurate and boy do you pay for them, but they have been doing the active noise cancellation game longer than anyone; so, if that's what you need,I always recommend them first.

I didn't care for them until I sampled a pair of QC320s in Dubai before a 12 hour flight. That was the most bearable time I'd taken the flight from Dubai to Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KozmoNaut posted:

The funny thing is that they argue like mad, but no one thinks to do an ABX test and find out for sure.
Mentioning ABX on audiophile forums nets you InstaBans(tm). Most of the times, anyway.

KozmoNaut posted:

Easily on par with Creative's X-Fi famously bullshit Crystalizer graphs.
Sounds more like spectral band replication used in AAC-HE, but instead of using reliable sideband information supplied by the encoder, the decoder guesses poo poo on its own.