Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Excels posted:

They look a little like the KKK and carry bird-spears.

It's called a bec de corbin, which literally means crow's beak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Guados are assholes and the Ronso are too. I don't know if those are that bad. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tae posted:

What? He killed his father. He was already evil way before Tidus came to the world.

edit: Also massacred a Ronso tribe.

Yeah but what actually came of that? All of Seymour's plans ended up never coming to fruition because Yuna and co would beat him before anything happened. They built him up as some evil scheming mastermind when he really didn't do all that much.

I also don't see the problem with murdering all the Ronso :colbert: .

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

JENOVA's basically as close as you'll get but she might not actually be the villain because the script's aloof about whether or not it was her in control or Sephiroth.

She definitely was. You never actually engage with Sephiroth, just in that flashback after Midgar. He spends the rest of the game in lime green Jello at the Northern Crater. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doesn't the horrible EU universe try to assert that Sephiroth was in-control, while one of the Dissidia games cocks that all up and says that Jenova may have been all along.

Of course, Dissidia isn't canon to FF7's universe, but the EU for FF7 is awful so screw that stuff too.

Basically, I don't know if S-E ever figured that out themselves.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

She definitely was. You never actually engage with Sephiroth, just in that flashback after Midgar. He spends the rest of the game in lime green Jello at the Northern Crater. :v:

But you kill her and then fight Sephiroth at the end of the game. Super, hopped up on JENOVA-cells Sephy, but it's still Sephy. It could be Him controlling people through her, or they fused into one being. It's left a bit ambiguous (though with that translation who knows if it's on purpose)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Sephiroth is the worst FF antagonist because people still mistakenly think he's cool.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The Ronso genocide thing is brought up in X-2 and is actually morbidly hilarious because Seymour's most evil act pretty much only fucks over the Guado

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Excels posted:

Also it's funny someone mentioned Dagger's practical adventuring attire in FFIX, since that's like one of the few games where Nomura had zero involvement with character designs.

So instead of looking like they got in a fight with their closet (and lost), everyone in FFIX is dressed pretty reasonably.

Except the Lindblum guards, I don't know what the hell is up with them.

They look a little like the KKK and carry bird-spears.

Queen Brahne's guard are worst, though. I'm sure those swimsuits offer great protection! :downs:

Oh wait no you can easily one-shot them all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
JENOVA is great because she's basically The Thing by way of Lovecraft. Sephiroth is an investigator who lost his last Sanity Points after discovering his inhuman ancestry, thus becoming a Cultist.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The GIG posted:

The Ronso genocide thing is brought up in X-2 and is actually morbidly hilarious because Seymour's most evil act pretty much only fucks over the Guado

X-2 has an amazing story and I will never stop saying it because of poo poo like this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well it's not like Seymour actually cared much for the Guado. His plan was to kill everyone on he planet so it seems unlikely he'd be troubled by the fact the Guado could potentially die in X-2.

My favorite FF villain though is probably Gabranth. Like everything in XII he's much more low key, and his conflicts are all personal, which I think is part of why he is so awesome to me. He also has a great design and amazing voice-actor.

And Hojo's the best villain of VII because everything is actually his fault. Sephiroth going nuts, Jenova starting to screw things up again, Meteor - all comes back to him. The dude was supreme douchebag of the planet and I love him for it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Majorian posted:

Sephiroth is the worst FF antagonist because people still mistakenly think he's cool.

I wouldn't say he's cool, but he is a pretty effective villain in the sense that the game actually does a good job making you fear him, which is more than I can say for folks like Kefka and Kuja. I still get chills during his big scenes, despite having replayed the game however many times. Too bad that didn't really survive into the EU, but not much from the original game did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think GACKT is truly Final Fantasy's greatest villain

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

S-Alpha posted:

I wouldn't say he's cool, but he is a pretty effective villain in the sense that the game actually does a good job making you fear him, which is more than I can say for folks like Kefka and Kuja.

I think FFVI does a much better job of making you fear Kefka, considering the fact that he actually brings about the end of the world. And is a clown.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

I think FFVI does a much better job of making you fear Kefka, considering the fact that he actually brings about the end of the world. And is a clown.

Pretend I'm replying to this post with Kefka's zoidberg laugh.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Majorian posted:

Plus, Kefka was doing horrid poo poo before that ever happened-before he even becomes a god, he poisons Doma and kills Leo and burns Thamasa.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
The best FF villain is the emperor from FF2, because he's the one who essentially wins. I mean, you kill him in the end, but after he's literally killed off half the population.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Camel Pimp posted:

The best FF villain is the emperor from FF2, because he's the one who essentially wins. I mean, you kill him in the end, but after he's literally killed off half the population.

He then, if you assume the add-on content for the re-release is cannon, goes on to conquer hell where the dead heroes have to fight to beat him.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Camel Pimp posted:

Kefka did that and actually disfigured the planet and turned it into a barren wasteland.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Think you mean Heaven there. He already conquered Hell in the main game.

I've seen "which FF villain is the best" stuff since I became an FF fan but man, they seem to get lamer and lamer as the years go by. At least the main ones. I enjoy a lot of the secondary antagonists and stuff.
Hojo > Sephiroth
Seifer/Adel > Ultimecia
Seymour > ...uh, well maybe there's not ven a real "main villain" in X
Gabranth > Vayne

And FF2 and 4 barely have secondary villains, unless you count Leon and the Fiends. (I don't think Golbez really counts) And I still need to finish VI...Someday.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Camel Pimp posted:

Kuja blew up a planet and succeeded 100% in his schemes. It was only because Garland had hosed him over from the moment of his creation that his plans unravelled.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Seymour > ...uh, well maybe there's not ven a real "main villain" in X

Yu Yevon and Yunalesca?

Actually, isn't it more accurately it was the populations of Bevelle and Zanarkand who started the war in the first place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Kuja blew up a planet and succeeded 100% in his schemes. It was only because Garland had hosed him over from the moment of his creation that his plans unravelled.

And he helped his immortal brother in the end. Not to mention Trance Kuja actually looks kinda bad rear end. Kuja was an awesome character ruined by his character design. Basically the opposite of Sephiroth.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Aurain posted:

Doesn't the horrible EU universe try to assert that Sephiroth was in-control, while one of the Dissidia games cocks that all up and says that Jenova may have been all along.

Of course, Dissidia isn't canon to FF7's universe, but the EU for FF7 is awful so screw that stuff too.

Basically, I don't know if S-E ever figured that out themselves.

If I correctly recall, the devs said Dissidia is supposed to be canon to all games represented.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Sephiroth before he goes nuts was a good character, especially after Crisis Core. He's portrayed as well meaning if stoic as hell, him and Zack have some pretty funny interactions, and he thought Hojo was a fucker, like any sane person. Unfortunately Crisis Core also had Genesis get involved with Sephiroth, which kind of ruined any good stuff that Crisis Core's story contributed to the series.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

I wouldn't say he's cool, but he is a pretty effective villain in the sense that the game actually does a good job making you fear him, which is more than I can say for folks like Kefka and Kuja. I still get chills during his big scenes, despite having replayed the game however many times. Too bad that didn't really survive into the EU, but not much from the original game did.

What I liked about Sephiroth was that he never saw himself as a villain. In fact, before the Nibelheim Incident, he was actually a pretty stand-up dude, even had a sense of humor sometimes. If you ignore certain parts of Crisis Core, you get a pretty decent picture of his original personality. When SOLDIER told him to hunt down Angeal, he flat-out refused because Angeal is his war buddy. So he did understand the concept of comradery and friendship. People looked up to him as a hero, Cloud and Zack wanted to be just like him, etc.

Kefka actually has a pretty similar backstory to Seph; both respected generals in the military who went insane as a result of human experimentation, and deliberately brought about a world-ending cataclysm (for entirely different reasons, though). The only reason Seph's plan failed was because of Deus Ex Lifestream.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And he helped his immortal brother in the end. Not to mention Trance Kuja actually looks kinda bad rear end. Kuja was an awesome character ruined by his character design. Basically the opposite of Sephiroth.

Kuja's design is effeminate, it doesn't "ruin" his character. (He was originally female in the script, but it was changed later to make him and Zidane "brothers".) In the game it's barely noticeable, I never even noticed the thong as a kid. Also he dresses like a dainty little poof because he is a dainty little poof. He presents himself that way. This is the guy who completely destroyed his home planet, and then attempted to wipe out all life at its source, just because he was mad that he would die someday.

Excels fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 10, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think we all know who the best villain in Final Fantasy is, and this is undisputed. It's Garland. It's Garland, guys!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NikkolasKing posted:

Hojo > Sephiroth

I'm liking this. S-Alpha brought up how effectively the game's writing makes you fear Sephiroth. I didn't fear Hojo, but I loving hated him. I hated his crazy guts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

I think we all know who the best villain in Final Fantasy is, and this is undisputed. It's Garland. It's Garland, guys!

Which Garland? I like chump Garland.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Garland of your dreams.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

The Garland of your dreams.

"Ooh Garland, you can knock me down anytime"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I'm liking this. S-Alpha brought up how effectively the game's writing makes you fear Sephiroth. I didn't fear Hojo, but I loving hated him. I hated his crazy guts.

Exactly. I remember the playthrough when I first found Vincent and brought him to confront Hojo at the end. I ended up feeling somewhat sorry for Sephiroth since he was clearly just a pawn of this unrepentant madman. It's very satisfying to beat him with Vincent.

I think Sephiroth was an effectively done villain because he's the first one we really see become a villain. I saw so much bitching about the Kalm flashback in the FFVII LP thread, about how it's the longest cutscene ever, and blah blah blah. But I will never forget this scene and hearing "Those Chosen By The Planet" kick in.

Whatever other flaws it may have had, I hope we can all agree FFVII had some amazing cinematic direction. Stuff like how just the vaguely ominous theme cuts out to silence and then kicks in with the full evil chorus, or how when Bizarro Sephiroth is defeated and the screen fades to black and all you hear are "the screams of the Planet" before One-Winged Angel kicks in. And even then it goes on and on for a few seconds before starting the actual fight, hitting just the right "epic" note for Sephiroth's new form to appear.

Excels posted:

I agree but please don't say "epic", we need to kill off that word forever.

True, I need to look at a thesaurus for more adjectives.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 10, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I agree but please don't say "epic", we need to kill off that word forever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever other flaws it may have had, I hope we can all agree FFVII had some amazing cinematic direction.

Yeah, I'm not really talking about how successful he was as a villain or whatnot, but as a character, they sure as hell make you afraid of him. The first time you see him, he slices down poo poo you couldn't possibly fight even at your party's current level, and he - or what you're lead to think is him - has a tendency to leave bloodied corpses and destruction all around, and I have to laud Square for establishing a tone so well.

It's too bad that I never had a chance to play Crisis Core, though. After Excels' post, I'm really curious to see how the game handled him now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wait, mentioning Sephiroth was the first villain we saw become a villain made me realize...what bad guys have we actually seen turning bad? The only one I can think of is Seifer and even then it's more like he got a evil talking to and then turned up later as an antagonist. The full "descent to villainy" we get in the Kalm flashback is almost unique for this series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

It's too bad that I never had a chance to play Crisis Core, though. After Excels' post, I'm really curious to see how the game handled him now.

He actually gets relatively little time in the sun as the game is way more focused on Genesis. He has a small arc about growing disillusioned and thinking about Jenova and then a thing which ruins the ridiculously awesome FF7 Cloud v Sephiroth confrontation so its not all positive.

Really the only reason to play Crisis Core is for the final mission.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Barudak posted:

Really the only reason to play Crisis Core is for the final mission.

I love that they allow Zack to literally kill God deep within the core of the Planet, but three guys with machine guns? You're hosed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also assuming 'modern' FF is 7+ I'm hard-pressed to name an antagonist/villain that's better than Kuja. Hell, I can't think of one better than Seymour. At least they fit into the setting, and get personalities, and have some pathos. 13's main villain was a Space Pope that didn't really do anything till the last hour of the plot and 12 had...someone I guess? Yeah Empower Dude. He was there I guess.

Oh come on, I gotta stick up for Vayne here. He was a well done, fleshed out and believable antagonist. Just because he wasn't a Dragon Ball villain with plans of blowing up the world and killing every living thing doesn't make him inferior to the other hokey villains of the series. His goals are highly sympathetic, and you don't have to turn your brain off to have his motivations make sense. The game establishes him as cold as loving ice, so you fear him not because his power level is over 9000, but because he's ruthless. Not that I'm saying Kuja is bad, but Vayne deserves more than a brushoff.

Seymour always bothered me because his plan was so full of stupid. First, he wants to become Sin, which he should know requires an actual close bond with the summoner. So he tries to force Yuna into a loveless marriage at gunpoint, because that will make her love him? The very foundation of his plan would never work.

Next, he is a "living" example of why his plan wouldn't work anyways. You kill him over and over and he keeps coming back. That's because Spira is a world where death is pretty optional. It seems like half the cast are dead people that just won't go away. So how is killing everyone going to accomplish anything when a good percentage of the population will just come back as unkillable spectres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, mentioning Sephiroth was the first villain we saw become a villain made me realize...what bad guys have we actually seen turning bad? The only one I can think of is Seifer and even then it's more like he got a evil talking to and then turned up later as an antagonist. The full "descent to villainy" we get in the Kalm flashback is almost unique for this series.

Seifer was seduced by his headmaster's wife who was controlled by an evil witch from the future.

In other news, this is a special kind of Hell :suicide::

EDIT: Or was she controlled by a beefcake witch in space who was being controlled by an evil witch from the future?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 10, 2014